The Word Farang

Nip

I am a farang that is true and undeniable. I find it acceptable to be called that when people are referring to my race or description or if I need to be singled out e.g. waiter asks who ordered this? the farang or kon farang - the same way someone might say the black guy or asian guy in the west. When people call me farang instead of my name/customer/he/person/patient I do find it offensive for the simple reason that my ethnicity is irrevelent to the situation. I do not call people by black/brown/gay/camp/midget/blind man/woman here or in the west.

I think it is also necessary to take into consideration the intent of the person saying it, often there is no malice and they are just ignorant. It is also the 'done thing' refer to us this way and all in all I am quite happy Thailand is not PC mad like in the UK.

When this topic has been discussed constructively with educated Thais they have acknowledged that they can understand why it can cause offence. When a work colleague kept referring to me as farang despite knowing my name I abruptly told her in Thai "excuse me khrap my name is ........" she was embarrassed because she realised that she had caused offence and that it was probably not the most polite way to refer to someone.

I think the best way to handle situations is to tell them politely my name is .......... please could you call me by this and not farang.

Some people may get up on their high horse and say this is Thailand how dare you tell us how we can speak if you dont like go home etc etc..... yes thats true but I am not being unreasonable, all I am politely asking is that you refer to me by my name or customer and not by my race/appearance. I do not refer to you as small brown man/woman....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a farang that is true and undeniable. I find it acceptable to be called that when people are referring to my race or description or if I need to be singled out e.g. waiter asks who ordered this? the farang or kon farang - the same way someone might say the black guy or asian guy in the west. When people call me farang instead of my name/customer/he/person/patient I do find it offensive for the simple reason that my ethnicity is irrevelent to the situation. I do not call people by black/brown/gay/camp/midget/blind man/woman here or in the west.

I think it is also necessary to take into consideration the intent of the person saying it, often there is no malice and they are just ignorant. It is also the 'done thing' refer to us this way and all in all I am quite happy Thailand is not PC mad like in the UK.

When this topic has been discussed constructively with educated Thais they have acknowledged that they can understand why it can cause offence. When a work colleague kept referring to me as farang despite knowing my name I abruptly told her in Thai "excuse me khrap my name is ........" she was embarrassed because she realised that she had caused offence and that it was probably not the most polite way to refer to someone.

I think the best way to handle situations is to tell them politely my name is .......... please could you call me by this and not farang.

Some people may get up on their high horse and say this is Thailand how dare you tell us how we can speak if you dont like go home etc etc..... yes thats true but I am not being unreasonable, all I am politely asking is that you refer to me by my name or customer and not by my race/appearance. I do not refer to you as small brown man/woman....

Good post and echos how l feel about the word. If a person knows your name they should use it with the Khon prefix.

So many foreginers here through lack of knowing the language are subject to deogratary terms: It, animal, dog, farang, buffalo etc.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

And here we are again, discussing the word farang (falang), or falung if you like.

And once again I asked my wife about this.

And once again she said it is NOT a negativ word. Has never been a negativ word.

Just a simple word for someone. A word for foreigner (originally a white foreigner).

If they dont know you that well they call you farang, and also because it is easy to use the word.

The correct standard central Thai pronunciation uses an r sound, not an l sound. We can spell the romanization of the word anyway we like, as there is no standard romanization of Thai.

Writing from Chumpteayen Beyatch

There should be a standard romanization of Thai, particularly when it come to place names.

On the subject of the word Farang, it could be worse, many Thais still refer to people of African origin has นิโกร.

Back in the states, “Asian” refers to Chinese, Thais, Japaneses, … heritage. I don't have an issue using the classification because it makes communication simpler. If you are in a room with 50 westerners and there is a beautiful Chinese girl in the room. In lieu of wasting time trying to describe her non-Asian characteristics, I'll just say the beautiful Asian girl.

Why did I just waste 2 minutes typing that? Hmm, I'm sick and stuck in the room.

Edited by siamamerican

And here we are again, discussing the word farang (falang), or falung if you like.

And once again I asked my wife about this.

And once again she said it is NOT a negativ word. Has never been a negativ word.

Just a simple word for someone. A word for foreigner (originally a white foreigner).

If they dont know you that well they call you farang, and also because it is easy to use the word.

That .... Right?

Although I understand what you are trying to say, I think the way you make your argument now is too much.

As soon as you started to use Clan meetings (which is one of the most discusting cowardess organizations) in your argument, your point disappeared.

I prefer farang at least Thais can pronounce this correctly and I understand when someone is addressing me or talking about me!

Now my name can come as Lick Hard or lychee for short..... never mind my last name which is always pronounced Bits but is not Bits in farangland..

So farang suits me fine as i never get called by my real name.....

How about these names do you think they prefer their Thai name or farang?

Stan = Satan

Chris = Klit

Just don't call me Late For Dinner

Wasn't a thread of this subject matter just done on the Bangkok Post under "Is farang the F-word" or a similar heading?

Supposedly farang is a thai corruption of francais; however, I always thought the first europeans to have an impact and presence in Thailand were the Portuguese (Mercenaries in K Narasun period?) IN the BKK Post threads, there was even a sugggestion that farang originated from an arabic word denoting europeans, so in that case it would have applied to the Portuguese as well.

In any case, taking offense to the word is going to drive you nuts here; it would be easier to attempt to reverse the directions of the sun's rising and setting than to change the usage by the thais :D:)

There should be a standard romanization of Thai, particularly when it come to place names.

On the subject of the word Farang, it could be worse, many Thais still refer to people of African origin has นิโกร.

นิโกร (Thai transcription of the foreign loanword, "negro") is not used much in Thai any more; the preferred usage nowadays is คนมืด (khohn meuut - black people or person, person of African, or mixed-African ancestry)

Farang was a neutral word for Caucasians before. But due to the, in the eyes of some locals, unexpected conflicting behaviour of some, it can be an insult nowadays. That is clearly discernible (pronunciation and face expression and maybe attacking pose).

Edited by Birdman

I was asking my girlfriend about this the other day. She was talking to the owner of a garage while I was having a tyre replaced and I often heard the word farang (or falang as they say it up here in chiang mai) so when she stopped I smiled and said "you talking about me?" (my thai is coming along, but not quick enough to keep up with an overheard conversation between two thai people). I mentioned I had heard the word falang a lot and she posed an interesting question. If I was speaking about her in english to someone, what would I call her? I was at a bit of a loss and decided eventually that if it was a similar situation where making sure everyone was on first name terms wasn't particularly appropriate the best I could come up with is "she". If you think about it, talking about someone who is actually present and refering to them as just she or he doesn't sound much better than thai people refering to us as falang. Personally i dont mind it and always get a good laugh from thai people when I point out something stupid a falang is doing in thai. Makes me feel more accepted and less of a falang myself. As people have pointed out, it's not gonna change any time soon and the best you can do is accept it and even embrace it. I'm thinking of getting t-shirts made saying "F.W.A - Falang with attitude"

Who cares what ANYBODY calls you... ANYWHERE? If it's meant in a derogatory manner then that is THEIR problem, not yours. There are always low class people who make derogatory remarks about others, and most often for no other reason than to somehow elevate themselves. I've seen it everywhere including these Thaivisa forums. As long as you don't do anything to attract other people's nastiness then you needn't worry what they say. People who like me can call me anything they want to. That is why blacks can call each other the N word but won't accept it if spoken by a caucasian.

I've noticed that most of the time when I'm referred to as 'that white dude' I don't really care. When you're sharing an elevator with two Thais and they go off about 'that farang there' it gets a little awkward, especially when they don't think you can understand what they say. I usually just brush it off to prevent any face-loss issues. In the end it doesn't affect me in any serious way anyway.

I was asking my girlfriend about this the other day. She was talking to the owner of a garage while I was having a tyre replaced and I often heard the word farang (or falang as they say it up here in chiang mai) so when she stopped I smiled and said "you talking about me?" (my thai is coming along, but not quick enough to keep up with an overheard conversation between two thai people). I mentioned I had heard the word falang a lot and she posed an interesting question. If I was speaking about her in english to someone, what would I call her? I was at a bit of a loss and decided eventually that if it was a similar situation where making sure everyone was on first name terms wasn't particularly appropriate the best I could come up with is "she". If you think about it, talking about someone who is actually present and refering to them as just she or he doesn't sound much better than thai people refering to us as falang. Personally i dont mind it and always get a good laugh from thai people when I point out something stupid a falang is doing in thai. Makes me feel more accepted and less of a falang myself. As people have pointed out, it's not gonna change any time soon and the best you can do is accept it and even embrace it. I'm thinking of getting t-shirts made saying "F.W.A - Falang with attitude"

This is exactly how my Thai misses explains it to me too. I sometimes get a bit grumpy about the farang word but i have been here long enough to know its not meant in any other way except a description word for me.

But of course there are a lot of (educated) Westerners who obviously understand Thai language and culture more than the average Thai :)

Why use farang to insult you when there is an abundance of Thai words to insult you with...

I do find that the farang word is also used around me when i'm with a bunch of Thais but more in a collective way as in "farangs do not like somtam"

...because, and only some locals do that, in their eyes farangs behave the opposite of what they are society-wise expected to do. There are expressions like farang kee mao, farang keeneau, farang kee nok, farang lao...etc

Agree these extra words tagged onto farang have negative meaning even though they can be said in jest but yes normally they are negative when spoken, however I think the OP was only referring to the word farang and not the added negative extras.

kee mao, yes guilty love me leo and heineken

keeneau yes guilty prefer money in the bank

kee nok, yes guilty (when first arrived) shorts and t shirts and probably lacking a shower or two

kee lao?? not sure but if stupid or lo-so....sure...guilty left common sense at the airport

crumbs..... guilty as charged me lord !

does that mean they all hate me????

...because, and only some locals do that, in their eyes farangs behave the opposite of what they are society-wise expected to do. There are expressions like farang kee mao, farang keeneau, farang kee nok, farang lao...etc

Yes it is like the way the word ni!!ers is used - there are good ni!!ers and bad n$$ers and on and on...

The need to verbally address anyone from a different country outside ones own with a single label is simply racist. It doesn't bother me in the least. But I would prefer not to be addressed as a 'farang'. I speak the language. When I hear it I put them right. Just my stance on it.

It's interesting that when you speak Thai you are suddenly not reffered to as 'Farang'.

It seems the word farang and it's derivations originated in eastern europe/Persia and spread in usage to other countries by traders from those regions...as such it is a description of fact and of itself has no connotation good or bad.

Greek..frangos a Westerner

Syriac...frang A European

Persian..feringhi A Euro

Arabic...faranji A Euro

There are many others of this similar sound in countries between Europe and China.

It is unlikely these countries developed coincidentally a very similar word, it makes more sense to accept the borrowing of an existing word.

In the early middle ages West Europeans were often called the Franks as a distinct group so it is not a stretch to see Frank turn into Frangos and Frang further East.

With any word it is how you use it that counts, personally I have no problem with falang unless the context is hostile.

here we go again :D

but so far nothing too outlandishly against the rules (apart from what Bonobo has deleted)

so will let this run .....

but remember, keep it civil

dont turn this into a hate war

:)

----------------------------

now my opinion as a member (not a MOD)

as a Thai - if Thai people hate you, we wouldnt associate with you. the fact that there are so many foreiegners in the country should give you some idea of how the thai people that have interaction with you feel. and arent they, the ones closest to you, the most important?

Gotta tell you guys, I don't give a rats a$$ what anyone calls me as long as it's NOT prefaced with something like "Ok guys, lets shoot the most handsome looking sexy....." And of course, they are looking at me at the time! :)

Let me play Devils Advocate. What if I refered to my Thai gf with a word that she was uncomfortable with or felt offended by. Should I insist that she is being too sensitive or should I consider her feelings and refrain from that term?

(By the way, If my gf kept refering to me as "farang" then asked how I would have refered to her, I would simply say as my "girl friend." I would not dream of saying "Oh the Asian said..." :)

Let me play Devils Advocate. What if I refered to my Thai gf with a word that she was uncomfortable with or felt offended by. Should I insist that she is being too sensitive or should I consider her feelings and refrain from that term?

(By the way, If my gf kept refering to me as "farang" then asked how I would have refered to her, I would simply say as my "girl friend." I would not dream of saying "Oh the Asian said..." :)

The analogy doesn't work. How many TGs call their BF "Farang". Farang is used to refer to people you aren't familiar with. Seems a little odd people are so concerned with the word Farang. Is it OK to refer to tall peaple as tall? maybe I just don't get that I'm being insulted.

it doesnt really annoy me anymore, the thai friends that i have stopped referring to me as falang a day or 2 after i met them its only strangers that i hear using the word falang and my friends often correct them saying hes not a falang hes my friend.

there was one thing that really annoyed me, i was coming out of carrefour and i heard a motorcycle taxi driver shouting " oi cowpong maa " which means hey white dog, i was so angry i ignored him and went over to another taximan and paid him 40baht up front for a 20baht journey and made sure the ignorant taxi driver could see what i was doing, its always good to make a point,

Having lived here for a number of years I have noticed that there are some Thais that use the farang word and some that don't.

Professional educated people I have worked with and met wouldn't dream of using the word, and tell me the usage is generally derogatory.

Tuk tuk drivers, bar girls and people that just want my $$$$$ will use it all day long.

I think the word insults intelligent foreigners. It's an ugly word.

Having lived here for a number of years I have noticed that there are some Thais that use the farang word and some that don't.

Professional educated people I have worked with and met wouldn't dream of using the word, and tell me the usage is generally derogatory.

Tuk tuk drivers, bar girls and people that just want my $$$$$ will use it all day long.

I think the word insults intelligent foreigners. It's an ugly word.

Actually,

I have a story about that. A hospital sent a Thai husband and wife to my work location, in order for this couple to have a consult with the only doctorate holder in my field, in Thailand. (Me) The wife was driven to our office in a huge Mercedes, the husband was driven in a Cayman Porsche. (I saw their cars in the parking lot & I imidiatley thought, I want to be the "driver" for the guy with the Porsche) (Seems strange to me to own a Cayman, and have a driver.... but back to the story)

I walked in to the office and the wife said, he is a "Falang" my assistant said, "Of course he is, Thailand only offers a bachelor degree in his field, the hospital sent you to the best, and the only way you are going to see the best, is to work with a ....."Falang." I got a chuckle out of that.... But the wife's comment did make me want to walk out of the room, and allow her to consult with the Thai version of an "expert."

and so, I really do not think money, social status etc, breeds logic, critical thinking, etc

The word is not an English word and is not used in the English language.

It is not listed in the OED. (Oxford English Dictionary)

It is a Thai word, basically it means a Foreigner of European stock

He is a falang/farang. He is a foreigner (from Europe) A Whiteman.

It is not offensive, just a general term.

perhaps "khun falang" could be used as a term of address, it would sound more polite.

In other words "Mr Whiteman"

Whiteman is an English surname.