Getting Child Support From A Farang

dbTraveler

I have a friend/ employee who is a Thai woman. She was with a man from England for over 2 years. She had the man's child. He left Thailand for England and has not returned. He says the Child is not his and he refuses to accept any responsiblity. He also refuses to take a blood test.

Does she have any recourse? Firstly,is there anyway for her to get to him to submit to a blood test? Secondly, if it is proven that the child is his, can she get child support from him?

I just want to help....She is a good hearted lady with a beautiful child.

Thanks.

To put it bluntly, no and no to both your questions.

I would also advise against getting involved.

Thanks Sunshine!

As for me getting involved, I was just asking a few questions! WOW...Im in it DEEP!

Unlike yourself I have a heart for good people. You must be a lonely Bitter Man.

Sorry to say ,but that poor lady is out of luck.

One of the drawbacks for Thai ladies that play with farangs.

Some Farangs set ripped off and some Thai's get ripped off.

Your thinking with a 1 world mind in a 3 world country.

No she can't make him do anything

With not even being married, She will have a hard time even trying to goto the courts for child support.

To put it bluntly, no and no to both your questions.

I would also advise against getting involved.

Absolutely right and good advice.

Also to add, how do you know that the English guy is actually the father? The woman could have had affairs with a multitude of Farangs.

Wow, I feel for the OP.

Most of the replies are from guys that one can see has absolutely no symphaty whatsoever.

One moron here talks about the drawbacks for Thai ladies that play with farangs!

How in the hel_l does he know if she was playing with him?

Another idiot here reckons that there is a possibility she could have had affairs with a multitude of Farangs.

On what is this based upon? The fact that she is a Thai lady?

According to the OP the guy is not willing to deliver a blood sample.

Now why would that be?

What would make someone refuse to deliver a blood sample to prove that he is not the father of the child?

Agree with one of the members here that this will be very costly to follow up, but it is doable.

Expensive, but doable.

There are dead beat dads everywhere. Thailand is full of them. Unfortunately, I doubt if the woman has any recourse. It takes money to go through the legal system and the only people who benefit are the lawyers. Personally, I think everyone should take responsibility for their own actions... but it seldom happens. If I was so stupid as to get a woman pregnant then I would accept the responsibility of paying to raise the child. It's part of being a man. Unfortunately, too many men don't have the balls to accept their duty. Thailand is full of unmarried young women with a child or two. 90% of the girls working in bars are there for just that reason.

Or get a UK lawyer on a no win no fee basis.

Against the rules of the above Brits, I am sure the guy is liable under English law if he fathers a child wherever that child is fathered.

Get on the internet and do some work to find out the reality of the situation.

In deep? For asking a few questions? Not really. Simply make sure that this woman is aware that you are trying to help her and not be the one who is liable.

uk- child support agency

Does state on website that may not be able to assist people abroad - but maybe worth asking the question

Just google -maintenance payments - and you will find them - then look at contact us......

Maybe if they cannot assist they may be able to offer advice......

There is an agency in the UK called the Child Support Agency (CSA for short), UK mothers sometimes use this agency to get money from the father when the father refuses to pay. However this is usually when man is known to be the childs father and the mother/child are resident inthe UK. The CSA would deduct the money from the fathers pay-check before he receives it.

In your case the mother of the child is not in the UK and it is not known if the father is working and also it is not known if he truely is the father, you would need to work on all these 3 points.

1. Can the mother andchild establish entry in the UK.

2. Can the mother prove the man is the childs father ? maybe a DNA test ? also is the man registered as the childs father on the birth certificate ?

3. Is the man working ?

I'm not sure the CSA will intervene on an internation basis, ie when the mother and child are not living in UK, therefore you may need to check if there is another agency who would.

The CSA will not help, they are only interested and get involved if you are claiming benefits in the UK, then they automatically get involved. I am a private client of the CSA I had to get intouch with them (because I work and don't claim any benefits) for them to get involved and trace my ex partner but I had his national insurance number and all other information. If I go to live oversea's I have to inform them and I think the money will stop.

This just does not happen to Thai women it happens to women every day in the UK and it stinks!!!

In the US, it is possible to get a court-ordered blood test, then get child support should the man prove to be the father.  I know of one Japanese woman who had that done when her soldier-boyfriend decided going back to Alabama was a better option than being a father.

I would have to think that this is possible in the UK as well.

In the US, it is possible to get a court-ordered blood test, then get child support should the man prove to be the father.  I know of one Japanese woman who had that done when her soldier-boyfriend decided going back to Alabama was a better option than being a father.

I would have to think that this is possible in the UK as well.

Same in the Scandinavian countries.

Both Thai and UK law allow for petitioning the court and have the court determine if a person is the father or not. If he is found to be the father he will have to pay child support, in addition it wil be that the child also have the nationality of the father and is entitled to enheritence.

A rulings about child support are often recognised by other countries, there is a teaty about this where most countries are party to.

The only obstacle here will be the mothers ability to shoulder the legal costs, but if she files in the UK on behalf of her child she might be able to get free legal assistence. (Don't know about that one).

Both Thai and UK law allow for petitioning the court and have the court determine if a person is the father or not. If he is found to be the father he will have to pay child support, in addition it wil be that the child also have the nationality of the father and is entitled to enheritence.

A rulings about child support are often recognised by other countries, there is a teaty about this where most countries are party to.

The only obstacle here will be the mothers ability to shoulder the legal costs, but if she files in the UK on behalf of her child she might be able to get free legal assistence. (Don't know about that one).

How would she get a visa to visit the uk unless she has a sponsor?

I do feel sorry for anybody who finds themselves in such a predicament, blokes who abandon kids are not men in my book.

That said, has the bloke broken any laws apart from moral ones so whats a court going to do?

You could try some of the British tabloid newspapers and see if they will pick up the story "Deadbeat dad leaves poor in paradise" or some such thing.

It could generate interest and maybe some charitable help.

Personally I think she has no chance of ever getting money.

But, before we start shutting the gate, at the moment we only have her word. There is NO proof....yet!

And, if someone did not agree to a blood test, it does not automatically make him the father although I understand it's probably the only way the mother would ever know whether the man in question was or was not the father.

The paternity suit can be done in Thailand, as well as in the UK. If it can be done in the UK there is no need for here to travel there, as long as she has legl representation in the UK.

Both Thai law and UK law require the father of a child to support its upbringing, it doesn't matter if he was married to the mother or not. The only question is if he is the fahter of the child or not. All the rest is irrelevant for the question if he should pay child support or not.

And, if someone did not agree to a blood test, it does not automatically make him the father although I understand it's probably the only way the mother would ever know whether the man in question was or was not the father.

I don't understand that statement. The mother will know if it was possible that another person could be the father or not and we will not go into speculation about the mother. :)

A translation of the birth certificate would be the best place to start.

It might be worthwhile to check the birthcertificate indeed.

If the father's name appears twice on the birth certificate (as the fahter and as the person who registered the birth at the amphur) he has already accepted that he is the father.

Ok let’s suppose she manages to prove paternity.

Next step, convince a Thai court to issue child support order against the Brit.

Brit has no assets in Thailand….court order worthless and non enforceable in the UK.

She’s left with legal fees to pay.

That’s the Thai side of things covered. What’s the next plan of attack?

Edited by Farma

I don't understand that statement. The mother will know if it was possible that another person could be the father or not and we will not go into speculation about the mother. :)

What I meant Mario was, (1) we only have her word for it (2) Once identified, the man may simply refuse whether or not he was or was not the father that is of course a court ordered him to be physically restrained and given a DNA test.

Ok let’s suppose she manages to prove paternity.

Next step, convince a Thai court to issue child support order against the Brit.

Brit has no assets in Thailand….court order worthless and non enforceable in the UK.

She’s left with legal fees to pay.

That’s the Thai side of things covered. What’s the next plan of attack?

An informed post as usual Farma,

lets consider the next plan of attack.

Brit has no assets in the UK, Brit works abroad, say on an oil field in Nigeria and his salary is paid into the HSBC in Singapore, UK court order worthless.

We have heard only one side of the story, wont be the first time someone has been taken in by a hard luck story and a pretty smile.

We are also being told about deadbeat fathers, we never hear about the deadbeat mothers who refuse to give up their meal ticket.

I know of at least 3 guys who have offered to take responsibility for their child and take the child back to their home country.

One guys girlfriend has returned to her former profession and the child is looked after by the girls mother living in squalor upcountry, girl has no intention of doing what is best for the child, which is course a matter of speculation.

I would also be interested in hearing more about the Thai law that requires the father to support the childs upbringing, married or not. We always hear about the deadbeat Thai fathers who refuse to contribute, again unenforcable, how will you prove Somboon is actually working?

I know at least 4 farang married to Thai women who are raising the children with no support from the fathers, I feel sure they would be interested to hear of this Thai law, and how to apply it to their circumstances.

You would be surprised how many countries are party to the treaty regarding child support and the decision of the court in one memebr state is enforcable in all other member states.

As to above question about Thai law: section 1564 and 1565 of book 5 of the Thai civil code.

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/thaici...l%20code%20.pdf

page 19.