The Boys In Brown :-)

c64

Shit, I still don't believe that I managed to pull it off with the policeman :-) --> He actually paid me back the fine from his own pocket.

Everybody knows about the boys in brown and their fines. I was stopped on a motorbike today and rightfully fined since it was not taxed but I was also fined for not having a driving Licence. Of course I didn't understand so much of the conversation so I just called my GF and she was told by the policeman that I had been driving without a helmet (Nothing about the tax sticker and the driving licence) and she told me to smile and pay.

Back home she was kind of angry on me because of the stupidity of driving without a helmet. A little bit back and fourth between us and then we went up to speak with the same guy that fined me :-)

Oh yeah :D you should have seen that :):D:D:D:D : An angry thai woman reprimanding the policeman with 8-9 civilians around that heard everything. His superior came over and started to questioning both of them -> What he said I don't know but the policeman then just asked what I wanted. I said for what I was rightfully fined for, I'll gladly pay but the rest I don't accept and want my money back. AND i got back 200 baht!

Nice one, how much did he fine you first time?

Keep looking over your shoulder though, he'll want to settle with you again.

He did fine me 700 the first time - tax and driver's licence.

I got it back for the driver's licence - 200 baht

and tomorrow i will probably get the rest back from the motorcycle dealer in Ner Plab wan (the motorcycle was borrowed from them since My Tiger is at service up there).

:) I know he will be hunting for me - that's Why I'm going to be a pedestrian this time of night and until I head back to my job.

I was involved in a 9-vehicle pileup on the motorway last night coming to Bangkok from Hua Hin. We were car #5, in the middle, as it were. All the cars were scrunched into each other. Mercifully no one was injured. But the police, ambulances, and all sorts of others wearing fluorescent vests suddenly apeared, some jumping over the median of the motorway and crossing oncoming traffic. There was much palaver about who was at fault. I was so relieved that my Thai friend was driving my car; the accident was unavoidable but I had the definite feeling that as the only farang present that fault would probably been laid at my door. As it was, the insurance companies worked out some sort of a deal between themselves, we spent about two hours at the local police station and were let go. I really wonder what might have happened if I had been alone as my Thai is minimal. Nobody seemed to speak a word of English including the insurance investigators. But I did notice--as did my friend--the police and others looking my way many times. And he (my friend) was asked several times " Are you sure the farang wasn't driving?"

I was involved in a 9-vehicle pileup on the motorway last night coming to Bangkok from Hua Hin. We were car #5, in the middle, as it were. All the cars were scrunched into each other. Mercifully no one was injured. But the police, ambulances, and all sorts of others wearing fluorescent vests suddenly apeared, some jumping over the median of the motorway and crossing oncoming traffic. There was much palaver about who was at fault. I was so relieved that my Thai friend was driving my car; the accident was unavoidable but I had the definite feeling that as the only farang present that fault would probably been laid at my door. As it was, the insurance companies worked out some sort of a deal between themselves, we spent about two hours at the local police station and were let go. I really wonder what might have happened if I had been alone as my Thai is minimal. Nobody seemed to speak a word of English including the insurance investigators. But I did notice--as did my friend--the police and others looking my way many times. And he (my friend) was asked several times " Are you sure the farang wasn't driving?"

Ouch! I think I don't want to find it out either. Might have been a real possibility that your insurance policy would skyrocketed

Shit, I still don't believe that I managed to pull it off with the policeman :-) --> He actually paid me back the fine from his own pocket.

Everybody knows about the boys in brown and their fines. I was stopped on a motorbike today and rightfully fined since it was not taxed but I was also fined for not having a driving Licence. Of course I didn't understand so much of the conversation so I just called my GF and she was told by the policeman that I had been driving without a helmet (Nothing about the tax sticker and the driving licence) and she told me to smile and pay.

Back home she was kind of angry on me because of the stupidity of driving without a helmet. A little bit back and fourth between us and then we went up to speak with the same guy that fined me :-)

Oh yeah :D you should have seen that :):D:D:D:D : An angry thai woman reprimanding the policeman with 8-9 civilians around that heard everything. His superior came over and started to questioning both of them -> What he said I don't know but the policeman then just asked what I wanted. I said for what I was rightfully fined for, I'll gladly pay but the rest I don't accept and want my money back. AND i got back 200 baht!

You didn't even pay a fine. You paid the cop a backhander on the street which of course is illegal. If you paid a fine you would have presented the ticket at the policestation and got nothing back no matter how loud your GF screamed.

A no-helmet fine is 400 baht, so you would have paid a lot more than 700 baht for the 3 violations combined if they had given you a genuine ticket. The cop gave 200 baht back to keep your girlfriend quiet who was drawing attention to the fact that the cop had illegally taken money from you in the street. They still did well as they had pocketed 500 baht of your money.

If your car was moving at the tiime of the pileup all of the drivers would have been individually responsible because none of them had left a safe distance between their car and one in front. Of course in Thailand they all drive as close as possible to the cars in front therefore guaranteeing a pileup if one car slams on the brakes. If you leave a few inches then someone will squeeze in.

I got a better one than that. lol.

99 times out of 100 I wear my helmet, especially when riding the CBR 150. But, yesterday, while taking the wife's Air Blade into BoSang, for some reason I didn't wear one. Get into BoSang, turn the corner at the main intersection in town and, Bingo, they have a check point set up and I get pulled over. My Thai is passable, but often times I'll pretend I have no idea of what they're saying, but this time just as one BIB starts talking to me, saying: "400 baht!", another, who came from somewhere in the back, came rushing up and told the first one that I was not to be stopped, Ever, unless I was seriously breaking the law. I had to laugh, because it was the husband of my wife's favorite cousin. Then another one came up and told the first one that I was the man he had told them about who was now teaching some of the local BIB the self defense techniques taught in Special Forces, as he is one of my students. First cop just laughed and said that maybe they should give me a police badge as well, so that if I get stopped anywhere I can just show it and not have any problems. We all laughed, I told the "student" I would see him later, and told the husband of my wife's cousin that we were expecting them for dinner on Saturday. The cop who is one of my students, AND his immediate supervisor, who is also one of my students, both live in the same housing development that I live in. :)

You didn't even pay a fine. You paid the cop a backhander on the street which of course is illegal. If you paid a fine you would have presented the ticket at the policestation and got nothing back no matter how loud your GF screamed.

A no-helmet fine is 400 baht, so you would have paid a lot more than 700 baht for the 3 violations combined if they had given you a genuine ticket. The cop gave 200 baht back to keep your girlfriend quiet who was drawing attention to the fact that the cop had illegally taken money from you in the street. They still did well as they had pocketed 500 baht of your money.

A no helmet fine is 200 baht,paid one about a month ago with official ticket.

and tomorrow i will probably get the rest back from the motorcycle dealer in Ner Plab wan (the motorcycle was borrowed from them since My Tiger is at service up there).

:) I know he will be hunting for me - that's Why I'm going to be a pedestrian this time of night and until I head back to my job.

700 Baht?????? Wow!

Never take more than 200 - 300 Bht visible in your purse (hide the 1000's) and then negotiate.

It usually works and it helps as well to get stopped in front of many tourists, as everybody will stare at the scene and this will make our friend quite uncomfortable.

Som na na

So what you are saying is the BIB stole 500 baht from you and you are happy with that? Well done mate what a result!

A few years ago whilst holidaying with my girlfriend on a nearby island, there were a group of Thai men drinking whisky in the grounds of the resort. They kindly offered for me to join them a few times, though I refused politely.

They had parked their pick up near my bungalow. When it came time for them to leave, it appeared that they had locked themselves out of their vehicle. I went over to help them and noted that they had also been smoking some herbs from over the border. :)

After helping them get back into their vehicle, they got in to drive off and then found they were stuck in the sand. Suggested that they used a palm frond for traction and soon they were freed.

After profuse thanks, we got talking. Turned out that they were from the Drug Suppression Unit. :D Had just come back from a Scandinavian country to assist in the prosecution of a drug suspect.

Left me with part of their official uniform as a souvenir.

There's a lot of bs flying then. I've never had one myself, but everyone claims it has gone up to 400 baht.

The policeman issuing the ticket has some leverage.

There's a lot of bs flying then. I've never had one myself, but everyone claims it has gone up to 400 baht.

Really? There's no set fine?

Really? There's no set fine?

Yes that's what i thought also.Have always heard that it was 400 baht but when they caught me was when there was a red shirt meeting at soi Khao Talo and they had set up a roadblock on sukhumvith.At school closing time they were catching them by the dozens.

So I guess I got wholesale price. :)

My missus bought a new football strip for her local police team up in Isaan and in return they gave her a letter that gets her off most charges short of murder. This is one of the good things about Thailand. You never get that kind of flexibility from the police back home.

My missus bought a new football strip for her local police team up in Isaan and in return they gave her a letter that gets her off most charges short of murder. This is one of the good things about Thailand. You never get that kind of flexibility from the police back home.

Do they need an Away strip?

My fav story is when one of the BiB's cleaned me out, and after I told him I needed some food money, he promptly returned 100 baht.....I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day!

A friend of a friend was stopped by BiB outside the Soi 9 nick in Patty and asked for 2000 baht because the box container behind the seat on his moped was illegal. He pointed out that it was on the bike when bought brand new so why not charge Honda too? The scene shifts to inside the nick where somebody, presumably the duty officer, confirmed the offence. He paid. More fool him I think.

A friend of a friend was stopped by BiB outside the Soi 9 nick in Patty and asked for 2000 baht because the box container behind the seat on his moped was illegal. He pointed out that it was on the bike when bought brand new so why not charge Honda too? The scene shifts to inside the nick where somebody, presumably the duty officer, confirmed the offence. He paid. More fool him I think.

So what would you have done? Continued to argue with the cops inside the policestation?

He didn't really have much choice did he?