Checks On Foreign Business Tieups In Phuket

george

I completely understand that some innocent business and property owners may indeed get caught up in this laughable 'crack down'...

But I assume, I'm also right in thinking that many of these farang owned businesses have done things on the sly, bent the rules, broken the law....

Every single post regarding drug offenses brings on the 'Can't do the time, don't do the crime' crowd....Whats so different about this? Do some thing against the law, get caught, pay the price.

All us expats know the law.....why moan when you get caught for breaking it?

Once again, I don't mean to offend anyone here, especially those legitmate business owners that might get caught up in this nonsense. But for those who opted to go down a road that wasn't clear in the first place, in a country where anything goes, then found a loop hole to satisfy your needs, it's probably not going to end pretty is it now?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, this is another lesson for the foreigners that they need to pay a competent attorney to structure their business in a legal and correct manner. It looks like the Thai government is going on another "fishing" expedition to extract more pocket money when they find any discrepancy, and everything written has to look good as they will not spend much time with it.

62 million baht invested in 19000 businesses, that is only 3150bt each business. Figures dont sound right to me.

I was a business editor at the Nation for a few years. The reporters can't be bothered to such complicated math and nowadays their overworked editors haven't the time to check for all of their mistakes.

But a lot of times, these figures come straight from the authorities and Thai journalists are afraid to ask any questions that might embarrass any official.

That's why nothing can be trusted in print at the Nation or the Post.

The 62 million baht figure is much to low for so many businesses.

It's probably because they couldn't spell 62 bazillion... :)

The whole problem here lies in the fact that even if you are married with a Thai it gives you no special status whereas in the US for example you're given a green card.

ABSOLUTELY not true, wrong information. I received my Thai citizenship because of my married status. Get the facts before writting.

Eh, no, that is not how it works.

And gaining a PR and later citizenship can be done without being married.

Being married doesn't make the process shorter nor does it happen 'automatically' because of it - as is almost the case in many western countries. (Signing a paper = not much work.)

While I complete understand that the government tries to protect Thai people and Thai culture, there is one point. If the Farangs don't run the show, Bangkok Chinese would do it and still not Thai people.

That's a strange statement. Do you know how many Thais are of Chinese origin? And they all are not Thai? :)

This place gets suckier every day.

Why don't the government crack down on Thai people not paying their staff the minimum wage.

When i had a company i had pay all my staff a minimum of 6600 baht for an 8 hour day in Phuket or the the labour office would threaten to shut me down.

Anything over 8 hours was overtime at 1.5 the normal rate and double on a Thai holiday.

I feel sorry for all Thai employees who are not paid the minimum wage alot of them do not know they are entitled, those that do are too scared they will get fired unless they work for a foreign company. I believe if an employer fires a person for demanding the minimum wage they are entitled to a minimum of 3 months severence and all they pay they were not paid up to date or the employer will face legal action from the labour department.

All foreign companies are forced to pay up so why not everyone else.

I closed my company it was too much hassle

While I complete understand that the government tries to protect Thai people and Thai culture, there is one point. If the Farangs don't run the show, Bangkok Chinese would do it and still not Thai people.

That's a strange statement. Do you know how many Thais are of Chinese origin? And they all are not Thai? :)

In their culture they are often not Thai, their genetic is not Thai but they are citizen. They are neither Somchai Rice farmer who is building a hotel nor the local fisherman who bring out the people for fishing or diving.

As well they are NOT locals of Phuket or whereever they are from new(or old) rich from Bangkok who doesn't care about environment or long time development.

Sure worse than the usual Farang.

62 million baht invested in 19000 businesses, that is only 3150bt each business. Figures dont sound right to me.

Yes I thought that immediately too, 2 million US dollars "pumped" into 20,000 businesses. Are the majority selling chicken sticks or something? How does an editor put a stat like that to press?

This is for those of you who need to hear it. They will know who they are :) Not directed at everyone or at this specific topic....but as I say.....

Enough is enough !!!! Wow don't you guys realise what damage you are doing to not only yourselves but foreigners who live in Thailand ? I am not sure you mean to, or really think about what you do when you write on here, but the result is so negative and damaging; constantly spreading inuendo, gossip and misinformation via this chat forum. I am not sure who of you live or do anything constructive in Thailand, but you really should go back and check your posts. Chat forums are getting a very bad reputation not only with foreigners living and working in Thailand but with Thai people too. That is not good news for us.

The internet is a great thing and chat forums are good sites but they should not be acting as a truthful news forum telling us constantly bad and negative things. You must be very careful what you write and say. It has a result. Do you think constantly gossiping on here about things many of us know very little about, has a positive effect on foreigners in Thailand ? Do you think it is polite or nice to talk so badly and negatively about a country that many of us live and work in ? Also are you aware now that people are being prosecuted for writing on blogs and forums ? In USA and elsewhere.

How would you like it if Thai's came to your countries and gossiped and spread rumours all over the internet about your country. I know in the USA and Europe, the reaction from us would be....Kick them out !!! The authorities would also look into it for sure too. Is that what you want ? It is not our country and most of you speak or write no Thai at all. Many do not live here and many do not work or have business here. So how do you know what the Thai's think or say. How do you know what governments are doing ? Ohhhhh you heard from the truth machine; the chat forum news snippet......oh dear please get a life. Then there is a translation issue too.

The Thai's are very tolerant but I don't blame them for getting upset. If I was Thai and read this forum my reaction would be "YOU are anti Thai and anti Thailand. For God's sake leave them alone and shut up. If it is so bad, then go back home ! Leave us in peace. You are getting really boring and belive me when I say not just me but all the business community and people I know who live and work here are sick to death of these news snippets and constant digs at the Thai's. Leave it alone why don't you. How weird that people who spend every day talking about Thailand need to do so in such a negative and rude away. If it is so bad why are you so obssessed with it. Find a life somewhere else but leave us alone please.

The Thai's Have every right to look at land deals that are illegal. But there are alot that are not. I have never in all my time here (over ten years) had a problem with anything from visa's to work permits, businesses to having a house built. NEVER ! I am married to a Thai and we have a lovely life here and both of us are very happy. But to hear the mindless trivial and inaccurate information spread around like manure on this site is just so pathetic and upsetting alot of people who live here. You got to stop it lads or you will cause so much damage to foreigners reputation and lives here. Also are your countries any better ? Guess not or you would not be on here all the time.

What are you talking about witch hunts and so on. What a load of rubbish. And if it ever did happen you lot would be a part of the cause due to your constant negative gossip and unkind comments about a country you seem all addicted to and obssessed with. If you dislike it so much why do you come to a forum and constantly gossip about it. Surely if you dislike it, stop talking about it and move away.Thousands of foreigners are married to Thai's and live in a house here. They are happy. Do you think your comments are pleasing them or giving stability to their situations. They are getting cheesed of with this kind of thing. Why do you do it ? Are you bored ? Don't have lives ? Hate Thailand ? What is it ?

If you walk across a road and some guys spits at you every time, day in and day out. You don't cross the road. So if you don't like it here and its so awful: There's the airport....fly home and leave us all alone.

I know alot of people in Thailand and they are all saying how cheesed off they are with chat forums and the people who are really now causing us to be brought into bad light in Thailand. Opinions are one thing but gossip and constant digs at the Thai people and their country is not. Even if there are unproductive things happening or things we do not like, who are we to change it. It is not our country. They have every right to develop in the way they wish to or how it naturally occurs.

My advice is sound: You got to stop lads as it is getting really boring and upsetting a lot of people. Advertisers soon walk away and you are causing those of us (the majority) who live in Thailand to be looked at badly. Also why don't you go on about your own countries; they are hardly bastions of perfection !!! Are they not all nearly bankrupt, both financially, socially and morally ? Guess there must be a reason why we are here. something good.

Enough said. I am sure you do not think maybe when you write stuff and we are all guilty of that. But time for a wake up call.

Or you can ignore this and just write bad comments back. But I think many of you will know I am right in what I say. I don't say this because I want to upset anyone or cause an argument. I am sure you are all good guys and nice people. I am saying it, because someone needs to. This latest land thing and constant over the top panic is crazy and immature, misinformed and causes damage to all us thousands who work here, live here and have chosen Thailand to be our home. So please for all of us and anyone who lives here....stop. Chat about it but don't be so negative, try to be honest and not so unkind to a country that we all love. Opinion is one thing but prejudice is another. Have a great day :D

I agree with most of what you say about the majority of posters on this website. When I first started using TV, I thought it would be a good way to learn some things about Thailand. Boy, was I wrong! It takes so long to wade through all the speculative crap people spew. TV discussions are pretty much useless. It's just a place for bitter, old drunks to cackle and cluck about things they know nothing about. When I see posters with hundreds or thousands of posts, I wonder what the hel_l they are doing with their lives...

I can't speak from personal experience...

...It's not nearly as pleasant to be there as it is here -- at least as long as you are reasonably within the law here.

Why try to make a comparison then, when you, by your own admission, don't have any clue what you are talking about? :)

South Vietnam is great and very pleasant.

As I understand; if you are American (from U.S.A) you can own a company 100% and operate it without Thai staff. It is some special agreement between USA and Thailand.

You are referring to the treaty of Amity which allows Americans a lot of benefits that aren't afforded to members of other nations.

I thought that treaty was only if you own a hotel????

:D whats so funny is the banner adds on this post build a home in Thailand

never been a good idea but its getting worse not only do you have to screen your partner but the Thai government is becoming more anti western month buy month

Vietnam is booming compared to the backward ideas on investment from Thai government

What is even more funny (pathetic) is that a Communist Country is competing with a so called Democratic one. This is an indicator of the corrupt wanting to recover what they were receiving/extorting/stealing during the 'Good Past Times'. I wonder who is which Gov't. :)

Thais have to keep a watchful eye and a strong hand on westerners. Other wise they would own the place lock stock and barrel.

don't cry before you get hit.........

I have heard and read this saying before, I belive it is called Nationalism. See how that attitude will affect Thailands economy and Intenational trade. In Trade a 'Quit Pro Quo' is always expected to enable Business in both directions. I am sorry to say though . you are correct, that seems to be the mode in Thailand, thus a economical problem is worsen. :):D

Checks on foreign business tieups in Phuket

PHUKET: -- A fact-finding effort is underway in Phuket to compile information about local businesses in which Thai people are hired by foreigners as their nominees - a practice considered suspicious and possibly illegal.

Provincial governor Wichai Phrai-sa-ngob, who ordered the investigation, said he was not discriminating against foreign investors, but guarding against illegal nomination which exploited loopholes in Thai laws for personal gain.

Under the business nomination law, foreigners can hold no more than 49-per-cent ownership of any business they jointly invest in with Thais. An ongoing practice is that foreigners later gain control over Thais illegally, and enjoy a lower tax burden than when holding a minority ownership.

To scrutinise foreign businesses, the local revenue office is checking on their tax payments, while the treasury office is scrutinising ownership of condominium space. Immigration police are checking visa and residence status.

Local authorities and the Interior Ministry will look into all information and decide on what to do if the fact-finding reveals illegal business nomination activities, said the governor.

There are now 19,653 joint Thai-foreign businesses in Phuket, which have invested around Bt62 million.

Patong Municipality mayor Chairat Sukbhal dismissed reports most hotels on the island resort were owned by foreigners, saying most were operated as joint ventures, or under management staffed by foreign executives.

The provincial business and trade office said a regulation requiring joint Thai-foreign businesses to produce bank accounts with a high minimum amount of money deposited had been revoked, because it could not effectively serve as proof of substantial business funding.

"In most cases, the money was withdrawn immediately from bank accounts once they were offered to Thai authorities as proof," office head Weerachai Tantiwatthanawallop said.

The provincial land office said legal action would be taken against any businesses found to have been operated illegally with a majority of foreign ownership, because Thai land laws imposed strict sanctions on foreigners owning land plots in Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-02

>>> I am wondering if the great powers that be ever think about the increase in Thai unemployment not to mention the cost of resources after closing down and or driving out all this illegal business.

:) whats so funny is the banner adds on this post build a home in Thailand

never been a good idea but its getting worse not only do you have to screen your partner but the Thai government is becoming more anti western month buy month

Vietnam is booming compared to the backward ideas on investment from Thai government

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about with regards to Vietnam. The government regulary confiscates foriegn businesses outright once the business starts earning a substantial profit. And there is nothing the foreign owners of the business can do! It is still a fascist, totalitarian, and tyrranical country my friend. Just ask my Vietnamese girlfriend who is hassled every time she comes for the US to Vietnam to visit her relatives.

And to you whinners who are complaining about Thailand enforcing their laws (e.g. 49% business ownership, etc.)....you all should just leave. Go back to your home countries and don't complain when foreigners break your countrie's laws and take advantage of your country. Many of you act like Thailand would not be able to survive without all the foreigners, "upscale" businesses on Phuket, etc. I have news for you. The country would survive and probabaly be better off with out all the foreign scum I see running amuck in Thailand. Do you realize that most Thais are sick and tired of foreigners. I have many converstions with close Thai friends concerning this subject and they tell me how most Thais think. I do not blame them. Foreigh scum comes to Thailand and then break the laws and rules of the country and then they cry like children when the Thais try to enforce existing laws. Then they have the nerve to state that the country needs to change and do this and that for business, etc. Whatever the foreigner wants, the Thais are demanded to bend over backward for the foreigner, even when this is not their country. I hope thousands of muslims descend on your countries and throw tantrums,complain, and demand that your governments change their policies so that the muslims are happy. If you don't like following the laws in Thailand you should have the decency to leave the county ASAP. Good ridence. Have fun in your home country. Break the laws in your home country and find out what happens.

Obviously you do not know what you are talking about with regards to Vietnam. The government regulary confiscates foriegn businesses outright once the business starts earning a substantial profit. And there is nothing the foreign owners of the business can do! It is still a fascist, totalitarian, and tyrranical country my friend. Just ask my Vietnamese girlfriend who is hassled every time she comes for the US to Vietnam to visit her relatives.

And to you whinners who are complaining about Thailand enforcing their laws (e.g. 49% business ownership, etc.)....you all should just leave. Go back to your home countries and don't complain when foreigners break your countrie's laws and take advantage of your country. Many of you act like Thailand would not be able to survive without all the foreigners, "upscale" businesses on Phuket, etc. I have news for you. The country would survive and probabaly be better off with out all the foreign scum I see running amuck in Thailand. Do you realize that most Thais are sick and tired of foreigners. I have many converstions with close Thai friends concerning this subject and they tell me how most Thais think. I do not blame them. Foreigh scum comes to Thailand and then break the laws and rules of the country and then they cry like children when the Thais try to enforce existing laws. Then they have the nerve to state that the country needs to change and do this and that for business, etc. Whatever the foreigner wants, the Thais are demanded to bend over backward for the foreigner, even when this is not their country. I hope thousands of muslims descend on your countries and throw tantrums,complain, and demand that your governments change their policies so that the muslims are happy. If you don't like following the laws in Thailand you should have the decency to leave the county ASAP. Good ridence. Have fun in your home country. Break the laws in your home country and find out what happens.

Nothing like a bit of self loathing is there :) There are always two sides to a coin (if there isn't it'll probably sell quite well on ebay). If Thai people never wanted foriegn investment then they wouldn't be there in such hoards. I don't believe for one second Thais hate foriegners and there are many decent people who do respect Thai laws and culture. You seriously need to chillax. :D Have a Chang or something and enjoy the weather man.

Edited by chameleon1977

Thais have to keep a watchful eye and a strong hand on westerners. Other wise they would own the place lock stock and barrel.

don't cry before you get hit.........

I have heard and read this saying before, I belive it is called Nationalism. See how that attitude will affect Thailands economy and Intenational trade. In Trade a 'Quit Pro Quo' is always expected to enable Business in both directions. I am sorry to say though . you are correct, that seems to be the mode in Thailand, thus a economical problem is worsen. :):D

Nationalism and foreign ownership of another's country are two different things. They can be exclusive of each other. Some nationalistic countries are very prosperous and some are not. And some countries that allow massive foreign ownership are impoverished and some are not. Your "nationism" statement in not valid when discussing "foreign ownership" of another country.

Nothing like a bit of self loathing is there :D There are always two sides to a coin (if there isn't it'll probably sell quite well on ebay). If Thai people never wanted foriegn investment then they wouldn't be there in such hoards. I don't believe for one second Thais hate foriegners and there are many decent people who do respect Thai laws and culture. You seriously need to chillax. :P Have a Chang or something and enjoy the weather man.

Dully noted bro. I will drink an Elephant and chillax...even though I would rather be drinking an Angkor :D . Just to be clear, I stated most Thais are sick and tired of foreigners. Maybe I should not have said "most people" because most of the people reside outside of the tourist areas. I did not say they HATE foreigners. Also, most Thais "TOLERATE" foreigners behaving badly, breaking the laws, etc. because there is a financial incentive to tolerate bad foreigners. MONEY. :D If there was no profit motive, I believe many foreigners would know they are not welcome. Obviously not all Thais dislike foreigners. In my experience it is usually the Thais that have much contact with partying and rude foreigners. And I know sometimes it can be very hard to keep one's "cool heart" :) when in Thailand due to Thai scammers, thiefs, misunderstandings, etc., but one needs to try hard here to keep respect from the locals and for onesself. Also Thais living outside of BKK, Phuket, Pattaya, etc. usaully don't have a bad opinion about foreigners becasue they don't have much contact with foreigners. And, yes, I know there are many good people (Thai and foreigners) who respect the law and do good things. That being said...I have nothing against partying and having fun with local women, etc.. :P I have a problem with people complaining when the Thais enforce THEIR laws. I have a problem with foreigners wanting to "invade" Thailand and wanting to do as they like and wanting the Thais to change their ways to suit the foreigners. :D And, yes, I am aware of the massive corruption problem in government and law enforcement. I have been on the receiving end of it before. All in all, I respect "good" people no matter what their nationality, etc.. :D

Now where is that Angkor, I mean Chang.

Cheers :D

Obviously a poorly written article in which the numbers don't even add up. But there is obviously something behind it of the "nationalism is the last refuge of a rascal " type. The government can't deliver much of anything and the Democrats had to let its corrupt and greedy allies get control of the Interior and Commerce Ministries which control all this kind of stuff. So why not bash foreigners and whip nationalist sentiment and xenophobia (never far beneath the Thai surface anyway) to give the appearance of achieving something. As far as foreigners are concerned we may as well have Thaksin back in charge, even though I despise him. At least he blows both hot and cold towards foreigners depending on his mood and the particular business deal he is going after at the time.

On what detail I am not sure what is meant by enjoying a lower tax rate than they would, if they held minority stakes.

What on earth are you guys doing spending your money in Land of Scams with all this illegality, circumvention, and top down corruption.

The place is backward, and totally undemocratic, and a role model for burma,

Get out of thailand before its to late, and go and spend your money in a grown up , democratic, mature country .

That's why nothing can be trusted in print at the Nation or the Post.

The 62 million baht figure is much to low for so many businesses.

Mehtinks someone at the ministry of muddle didk $ sum

We all got $100 bucks less a bit of overround and clippage for teaboys

A quick sum x 19k on back of a very manila envelope or more likely a fag Phuket?

Sexed up dossier all piss and wind to confuse the natives put wind up and fleece falangs and helpBIB pension plan

As Peter Lorre said collecting his winnings at Rick's Cafe casino in Casablanca

I am shocked to see illegal activity

The real sum is will they rob us all of everything before this life and are they planning means to extort re-incarnated

As a foregner in an undemocratic unelected gov 3rd world nation with intellecual pretensions (20% soon or kneedee by 2012)

Keep head down and be prepared ,gives a good insight into the postion of illegals in USA UK or Aboriginals of course they didnt have the fun and opportunity to play keep the visa at their own expense

If it gets any worse I'll have to move to Pukistan NOT

Bungler Dosh VietCommie Campongier Squeakypore Muzlazier anyone?

In Phlippabeanz Uk pensioners get the upgrade but septic food gun law commie and mozzie insurgents plus jejeune food and distressed or worn livestock