Farang Robs Siam City Bank

PoorSucker

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few things as reported in this story don't make any sense here...

--He had a gun, but the bank security guards and staff chased him and restrained him, until he pepper sprayed them??? Are you going to chase and restrain a guy with a gun???

--No mention of him having the cash on him. Yet the report makes it seem like he was captured soon after the heist...

--No mention if he was arrested in possession of a gun.

--No mention of what made the bank staff think this guy was the hooded, anonymous guy who robbed their bank...

Nowhere in the report did it mention that the robber had a gun - just pepper spray.

Apart from that, yes this doesn't make sense, but maybe it's just bad reporting. You would have thought that the number 1 question that the reporters would ask the police is "Did he have nearly 150,000 Baht in cash on him?"

If he didn't have the cash on him, the bank staff are not even sure if it was a man or not, the robber did not speak, then they've basically arrested a man for taking a walk !!

Surely there must be more evidence than that he was found walking near where the clothes were abandoned???

I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits. This is no place to be without a brain.

Since when has there been any kind of check at airports to see if people have a brain? Perhaps when they set up such a check, you should be first in line!

post-128-1251906510_thumb.png

An American is arrested Wednesday for robbing Siam City Bank Plc's Future Park Rangsit branch in Pathum Thani and run away with Bt146,000 Wednesday.

The man allegedly jumped over a counter, grabbed the sum and ran away.

He was later arrested.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-02

Not too bright. I can think of better places to spend my remaining days than locked up in some Thai prison.

So could he....that wasn't the problem.....after stupidity took over he decided to fund it with cash from the bank.....only he didn't own a ATM card...so he used the next best thing. :)

American held after bank robbery

According to police, the robber in a black hood entered the branch at noon, jumped over a counter to open a drawer and grabbed a stash of banknotes, totalling Bt148,600 and ran away. The robber said nothing during the five-minute heist.

No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details, but his clothing - a cream-coloured overall and a hat of the same colour, a black hood, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of black gloves, were all found abandoned in the bush.

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

So he has beed charged with armed robbery......No mention of a gun....do we know where the gun is?

No details about the robber's build or distinctive details...yes he is arrested.

Made off with the money...Have they found it?

Shot pepper spray in the faces of security guards....Face saving way of saying he was just too quick for us?

Far too many details missing, but there again, that seems to be the norm for Thailand :)

PATHUM THANI: -- An American man was yesterday apprehended following a bank robbery in Pathum Thani, in which he was implicated as the faceless lone robber.

Harold Guyier, 54, remains in custody of Pratoonam Chulalongkorn police after protesting his innocence. He has been charged with armed robbery, although police said they are still seeking further evidence.

Guyier was found not far from a Siam City Bank branch which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man. He told security guards and police he was merely "strolling around", even after police found a set of clothing worn by the lone robber discarded and hidden in a bush nearby.

According to police, the robber in a black hood entered the branch at noon, jumped over a counter to open a drawer and grabbed a stash of banknotes, totalling Bt148,600 and ran away. The robber said nothing during the five-minute heist.

No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details, but his clothing - a cream-coloured overall and a hat of the same colour, a black hood, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of black gloves, were all found abandoned in the bush.

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

Police said they were waiting for DNA-based test results to determine whether the clothing was worn by Guyier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

So the thai police have arrested an American man for armed robbery. Witnesses can not give a description and they don't even know if the offender was a man or woman. (Thought to be a man) The offender did not speak during the act but they know the person (man or woman?) was American. How do they know that?

How were they so sure that this person was the offender? I surely hope that Mr Guyier was not the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. If he is the offender then he is a complete fool to hang around the area. If police found clothing in the area that Guyier was located then they must have also located the pepper spray cannister and the money also. If they didn't then it smells to me of oh there is a farang he will do crime solved...

It's strange the other day, there was a topic on here comparing Brits abroad in various countrys, the number of yanks that jumped on the band wagon taking the opportunity to give us a Brit bashing, "all the brits are scum", "all the brits are trouble-makers", "why don't the brits stay in their own country". (ha! - I haven't heard of any of them robbing banks, I remember a German guy doing it in Chonburi 6yrs back, and I remember a Norwegian holding up a gold store in Pattaya)

The number of people who come to this country and live on the bread-line is unbelievable, and in my line of business I see them all, so I can safely say there is definately a majority of one nation that pass through my doors who live in this situation (let's just say they didn't live the AMERICAN DREAM). My question is why do they do it to themselves, if you call living in Paradise - living out your life in a little box, not even a motorbike for transport, and penny pintching at every eatery (down the road its only 25bt, so why are you charging me 30bt), you really should be thinking of heading home, you are embarrasing yourself and your home-nation. All these people that I have come across, seem to be within 'the working age' have 2 legs & arms, and seem perfectly able. So go home, get a job, and come back when your life's in order, and stop inflicting your miserable way of life on the rest of us.

Way to many sad individuals in this country, spoiling it for the rest of us.

And to pre-empt anybody sticking up for these saddos and saying "look, some people just get dealt a bad hand", success is a journey not a destination. The problem with most of these low-lifes they haven't learnt to accept responsibility for their actions and love to blame others for their pit-falls, until they accept responsibility for their actions, their lives will never improve.

ya know, he might not be the guy folks. sounds like he didn't have the money and the athletic moves seem a bit inspired for the 54 year old. if he had the $ on him, they wouldn't need DNA. could have been wrong place wrong time. unless he was whacked out on drugs or has mental issues, hard to imagine a 54 year old doing a rob and dash- that's more a young man's crime.

I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits. This is no place to be without a brain.

The planes would be empty

The bars would be empty

The beaches would be empty

BTW: did you pass the test ? :)

LaoPo

Was there a test ?.....ah..should I go to the immigration for this test or can we do it on line....

man they really do want us to leave with all these new rules it's hard to keep up...90 day check ins and you all are talking about some test now.....what can I do if I can' t afford to take the test....? .....

PATHUM THANI: -- An American man was yesterday apprehended following a bank robbery in Pathum Thani, in which he was implicated as the faceless lone robber.

Harold Guyier, 54, remains in custody of Pratoonam Chulalongkorn police after protesting his innocence. He has been charged with armed robbery, although police said they are still seeking further evidence.

Guyier was found not far from a Siam City Bank branch which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man. He told security guards and police he was merely "strolling around", even after police found a set of clothing worn by the lone robber discarded and hidden in a bush nearby.

Police said they were waiting for DNA-based test results to determine whether the clothing was worn by Guyier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

So the thai police have arrested an American man for armed robbery. Witnesses can not give a description and they don't even know if the offender was a man or woman. (Thought to be a man) The offender did not speak during the act but they know the person (man or woman?) was American. How do they know that?

How were they so sure that this person was the offender? I surely hope that Mr Guyier was not the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. If he is the offender then he is a complete fool to hang around the area. If police found clothing in the area that Guyier was located then they must have also located the pepper spray cannister and the money also. If they didn't then it smells to me of oh there is a farang he will do crime solved...

What is amazing is that after 70 posts only about 4 cast doubt on the story. One poster highlighted the suspicious "evidence" involved. Or it could be sloppy reporting.

I think the IQ test is a good idea though - to weed out those that assume everything they read is gospel, that farang are guilty until proved innocent, and that to question any "evidence" would be a waste of brain power.

what ever happen to Innocent untill proven guilty ?

Does not apply here, even more so on any forum.   They have to do DNA to connect the cloths to him, the money is missing and no one can do a positive ID.  They were busy fighting the man with a gun, then he switched it for pepper spray during the fight and got away, all the time holding on to the money.  This guy is good, real good.  Maybe a pro.  :D

It could vary well be him, does seem odd that he is somewhat vagrant.  I wonder if he has started to jones for a fix yet.   :)

His options may have been taping bags of powder to his person and flying or getting the money somewhere else.  :D     Some deals just can't be refused.

post-128-1251906510_thumb.png

An American is arrested Wednesday for robbing Siam City Bank Plc's Future Park Rangsit branch in Pathum Thani and run away with Bt146,000 Wednesday.

The man allegedly jumped over a counter, grabbed the sum and ran away.

He was later arrested.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-02

146,000 baht + around $ 4,000, right? Thanks for giving other foreigners who're working here and paying taxes a bad name. But maybe this 'innocent' looking bastard made a new 'bum fight' movie to win some crack? Showing the world how bad the American way of life has gone? Bang Kwan is waiting for him, but who the heck gives flying shit? Go to hel_l.

Edited by Sisaketmike

Sad case of how desperate some Farangs in Thailand can become.

I knew a guy in a similar position years ago, after he had sold everything he possibly could, including his only room fan, he was rambling on about robbing a money exchange in Pattaya, he never did rob the exchange. Instead, he got 4 years ( reduced to 2 years for a guilty plea ) for trying to take some hash to Europe and getting caught at Bangkok Airport.

He wasn't a bad man, he just hit rock bottom and had burnt all his bridges in his own country, he thought he had no other way out. Luckily he didn't take the suicide route that many others have taken.

He wasn't the first desperate Farang that will try to do almost anything to stay in Thailand, and he certainly won't be the last.

He was 61 at the time of his arrest.

Edited by Maigo6

Ehem, all folks here, the chap has been nicked, but whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty ????

No farang could be stupid enough to attempt a bank robbery here, where he sticks out like a sore thumb

Edited by JohnBKKK

In Thailand, you are presumed guilty until proven innocent! The onus of proof is on you!

In the so called "west" in a court of law, the prosecutor must proof the accused is guilty! Here in TiT the person accused must proof he/she is not guilty...

Forget presumed guilty until proven... TiT

They have to do DNA to connect the cloths to him, the money is missing and no one can do a positive ID. They were busy fighting the man with a gun, then he switched it for pepper spray during the fight and got away,

There was no mention of a gun in the original report. Where did you come up with that one? :)

Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the tests are applied to everyone?? :-)

Does not apply here, even more so on any forum.   They have to do DNA to connect the cloths to him, the money is missing and no one can do a positive ID.  They were busy fighting the man with a gun, then he switched it for pepper spray during the fight and got away, all the time holding on to the money.  This guy is good, real good.  Maybe a pro.  :D

It could vary well be him, does seem odd that he is somewhat vagrant.  I wonder if he has started to jones for a fix yet.   :)

His options may have been taping bags of powder to his person and flying or getting the money somewhere else.  :D     Some deals just can't be refused.

Does anyone really believe that the DNA tests will be fair evidence in Thailand if someone wants or needs to do this guy?

I too am amazed that nearly every poster in this thread has jumped on Mr. Guyier and immediately presumed his guilt. The so-called "evidence" is very circumstantial and would not be adequate to even charge him with a crime in most countries. Except maybe Burma. Or Thailand? So those of you getting on the guilt bandwagon, welcome to the club.

It's strange the other day, there was a topic on here comparing Brits abroad in various countrys, the number of yanks that jumped on the band wagon taking the opportunity to give us a Brit bashing, "all the brits are scum", "all the brits are trouble-makers", "why don't the brits stay in their own country". (ha! - I haven't heard of any of them robbing banks, I remember a German guy doing it in Chonburi 6yrs back, and I remember a Norwegian holding up a gold store in Pattaya)

The number of people who come to this country and live on the bread-line is unbelievable, and in my line of business I see them all, so I can safely say there is definately a majority of one nation that pass through my doors who live in this situation (let's just say they didn't live the AMERICAN DREAM). My question is why do they do it to themselves, if you call living in Paradise - living out your life in a little box, not even a motorbike for transport, and penny pintching at every eatery (down the road its only 25bt, so why are you charging me 30bt), you really should be thinking of heading home, you are embarrasing yourself and your home-nation. All these people that I have come across, seem to be within 'the working age' have 2 legs & arms, and seem perfectly able. So go home, get a job, and come back when your life's in order, and stop inflicting your miserable way of life on the rest of us.

And to pre-empt anybody sticking up for these saddos and saying "look, some people just get dealt a bad hand", success is a journey not a destination. The problem with most of these low-lifes they haven't learnt to accept responsibility for their actions and love to blame others for their pit-falls, until they accept responsibility for their actions, their lives will never improve.

You are spot on with your comments! Can't blame the authorities if they have to shift the good , the bad and the ugly!

I always find it fascinating when an intelligent and educated person looks past the ignorance of some that prejudice a conversation by stereotyping a country because of one ignorant person. What is even worse is when they indirectly point at an American… So I am guessing with such a large number, like 300 people dieing in one year riding motorcycles and they are all Brits, should one reasonable think that all Brits are ignorant….No!, but one could conclude that Americans are just better drivers….and not as good at robbing banks.

He was probably just trying to make a Transfer or withdrawal. that bank can be so obstinate, Block every attempt to do a normal piece of business, I might surmise it was his own money, his level if frustration in trying to take it out just overcame him.

I always find it fascinating when an intelligent and educated person looks past the ignorance of some that prejudice a conversation by stereotyping a country because of one ignorant person. What is even worse is when they indirectly point at an American… So I am guessing with such a large number, like 300 people dieing in one year riding motorcycles and they are all Brits, should one reasonable think that all Brits are ignorant….No!, but one could conclude that Americans are just better drivers….and not as good at robbing banks.

This is off-topic, but I have to agree. Sort of like all the rants here, probably from the same people, accusing Thais of stereotyping all farang. I don't see any difference. It's all ignorant prejudice.

You are spot on with your comments! Can't blame the authorities if they have to shift the good , the bad and the ugly!

I would have to say that with the possible exception of las vegas, i've never met so many con artists, bullsh*t artists, and phoneys as here in Pattaya...not ALL farang (obviously) but this place does seem to be a magnet for low lifes who think because they have a few baht in their pocket they're big shots

You will notice a recurring theme with the ThaiVisa judge and jury system.

Everytime the Thai police apprehend a Farang and charge him with a crime, the "Hang him high, a disgrace and shameful for his country!" brigade come out in force.

As per usual we have next to no details, but 90% of TV members have already decided that he must be guilty. The Thai police are never wrong are they?

So far the only things that can be accepted as fact are.

The bank was robbed and pepper spray (not a gun) was used

It is not known if the thief was a man, woman, Thai or foreigner.

A person was allowed to walk into a bank (or maybe emerge from the toilets) wearing a hood and sunglasses and allowed to approach the counter without raising suspicion.

Clothes apparently worn by the criminal were found in some bushes

A Farang was walking somewhere near to where the clothes were found, no mention that he had the money or pepper spray on him.

I have to ask why, if the thief entered the bank wearing a hood and sunglasses, why was he/she not stopped by the guard at the door?

If he/she entered the toilets to don his/her disguise, would there at least be CCTV evidence of the person entering and exiting the toilets? At least we would hope that there is CCTV evidence to place the accused inside the bank.

I guess that this will go the same way as the guy accused of forging banknotes when the police weren't even sure that the notes were fakes. You hear about the initial report and the charges and then nothing more.

Poor man; I think he was short for cash.

He should have asked.

LaoPo

On this forum... why not?!?

If each member would have been able to give him 5 baht,

he doubled his catch without the risk. :D

OK put up or shut up, lets see how charitable you guys really are, raise some donations for this poor guy! :)