Transferring Money From Uk.

Hi

Excuse me if this has been covered before but could not find it.

A while back there was 2 rates onshore & offshore.

Last time I transferred cash from UK to avoid being stitched up you needed to write something on the form to the effect.................Intermediary bank to convert to Thai Baht at onshore rate.

Now I believe that there is just 1 rate and that it is no longer necessary to write anything , is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

TBWG :)

PS for last few years I have used Nationwide Flexcard to draw cash but with them charging now plus an ATM fee need to explore other options.etc

Hi

Last time I transferred cash from UK to avoid being stitched up you needed to write something on the form to the effect.................Intermediary bank to convert to Thai Baht at onshore rate.

Now I believe that there is just 1 rate and that it is no longer necessary to write anything , is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

TBWG :)

PS for last few years I have used Nationwide Flexcard to draw cash but with them charging now plus an ATM fee need to explore other options.etc

The advice was always "send Sterling" as the rate was better when converted offshore i.e. Thailand. The difference is usually much closer now with UK banks offering a better exchange rate.

I still prefer to send Sterling and now use Halifax online at £9.50 a throw.

You may have seen the thread on "Thai Banks start charging 150 Bt.....". There are about 10 million posts on the subject but it will cover your options.

Remember as well that you can obtain cash over the counter with your Flexaccount VISA debit card + passport. My local Kasikorn have a 20,000 Baht per day limit. You will pick the VISA 0.84% charge that Nationwide now pass on but Kasikorn have not cottoned-on to charging for the counter transaction !

You could also ask Dave the Dude in view of his background and I understand that wonderlust was also a banker :D

Hi

Thanks in advance.

TBWG :D

The advice was always "send Sterling" as the rate was better when converted offshore i.e. Thailand. The difference is usually much closer now with UK banks offering a better exchange rate.

I still prefer to send Sterling and now use Halifax online at £9.50 a throw.

You may have seen the thread on "Thai Banks start charging 150 Bt.....". There are about 10 million posts on the subject but it will cover your options.

Remember as well that you can obtain cash over the counter with your Flexaccount VISA debit card + passport. My local Kasikorn have a 20,000 Baht per day limit. You will pick the VISA 0.84% charge that Nationwide now pass on but Kasikorn have not cottoned-on to charging for the counter transaction !

You could also ask Dave the Dude in view of his background and I understand that wonderlust was also a banker :D

Hi Chaimai

Thanks for prompt reply and you confirm my thoughts, but it is a good wheez to obtain cash over the counter, I had not heard of that before and I do have a Kasikorn current account.

Not sure about Dave the Dude he is good friend of mine but his expertise was closing down unprofitable branches :) Come to think of it he could have a revitalised career in the UK now!!!

TBWG :D