Children On Motorbikes

plushly

I know the law states a max of 2 people on a motorbike. Yet everywhere you see families (mum, dad) with sometimes several small children. What is the rule on this? Are children not counted as passengers? Or is this illegal also, just with the authorities casting a blind eye?

Could someone please clarify this matter for me? Thanks

More than rider and pillion is illegal.. But tolerated pretty much everywhere except BKK I think.. The 'too poor to do otherwise' thinking.

Different places enforce helmets for pillions..

Just today I rode along a busy road, there was a bike weaving and wobbling with 4 kids on it.. Nearly wobbled under the front wheels of a truck I over took them and if the rider was over 14 I would be stunned... None had a helmet.. about 200m further on they wobbled right past a cop who didnt even blink as he directed traffic.

Enforcement here seems to be limited to road blocks, when they have one they stop people, if they are not actively out collecting fines they ignore all violations (by Thais).

That is what I have heard many times as well. More than 2 is illegal, but not enforced in most areas. It certainly isn't here in Phuket. I am amazed when I see the family of SIX, including 2 babies, riding out of the school, no helmets, past the traffic cop. Also, there is rumoured to be an exception for children 12 and over to be able to ride to and from school on a <125cc motobike. It seems to be the practice here in Phuket anyway. Very common to see kids younger than that, 9-10-11, driving as well. Feet just reaching the pegs. Never a helmet and always too fast. Also in Bangkok I often get handed a helmet by the motorbike taxis and told to wear or "the police will catch." I don't think there has ever been a case of a passenger wearing a helmet in Phuket. (Except my GF of course) They don't enforce that at the checkpoints here.

It's one of the many things in Thailand that this phrase applies to: 'Depends on what the cop feels like at the time.'

It's more like... do they need money?

I have never seen a cop care about helmets in the least - unless, of course, it's a "helmet check" checkpoint, where they collect money, usually at the end of the month. TIT.

If you're too drunk to do it yourself, Thai cops will help you get on the bike, and start it for you too. True story!

If you're too drunk to do it yourself, Thai cops will help you get on the bike, and start it for you too. True story!

Yep, I've seen that before in Pattaya, maybe 15 years ago.

A drunk Farang fell off his bike at the traffic lights and the Police helped him back on and sent him on his way.

Unbelievable, but true.

Well you can get limited license at 16 in Thailand up to 110cc bike, 18 and over is unlimited and all of us who actually done the license knows how easy that is so don't expect anyone license or not to have much knowledge.

The rule is clear no more than 2 on a bike, however as others point out this applies in Bangkok and pretty much nowhere else. I've seen a BiB with his family of 4 on a scooter. Basically they don't enforce it much as "to poor to afford a car" applies, but they can suddenly enforce it without any warning, different day different rule... Not easy for the common person to follow ever enforcement of rules by the Police that is for sure.

It's one of the many things in Thailand that this phrase applies to: 'Depends on what the cop feels like at the time.'

In the case of Thai families on motorbikes, it's more of a case of the cops coming from the same economic place and living in the same communities. Very few Thai families can afford automobiles -- even in their dreams. The motorbike is their only form of transportation other than public transportation, so taking the kids to school or a family visit to grandma, there is often no choice. As long as 95% of the assets of this country belong to the 5% in BKK that has run the country for 100's of years, that will continue to be the case. Just because cops are corrupt does not mean none of them have a heart toward the poor families in their communities (This does NOT mean I like them or want to have anyhing to do with any of them.).

We have a 12 years old spoilt kid on our estate. Within 6 months he has had two brand new motorbike bought for him. This last one is a Yamaha Mio, it must have 10k's worth of extras on it. Everyday he rides to and back from school without wearing a crash helmet. The mufflers from the bike's exhaust have been removed to give it that loud throaty sound. He has to ride on a 4 lane carriageway to school, he is dangerous and nothing is done by the BIB to stop him from riding his motorcycle and killing himself. He has nearly hit the front end of my truck once heading straight towards me on my side of the road on a blind bend. I asked my wife "What would happen if we were to collide and he died as a result of his injuries and it wasn't my fault." Her reply is always, "It's not our problem, if it does happen then WE'LL have to deal with it." He rides this motorbike everywhere with a young girlfriend as the pillion passenger.

I have also noticed that when kids are riding a motorcycle in a dangerous manner so much so that you need to sound your horn to warn them of the nature within which they are riding their bikes, they just turn to you and laugh out loud as though it's just a big joke.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Riding without helmets and an overloaded motobike is a common occurance in Thailand.

Let the kids ride to school and back so the parents don't have to do squat.

Let kids go to the shops and relatives houses to take care of themselves so the parents don't have to go out of their way.

Its just one of the many things that make Thai kids independent.

Its just one of the many things that make the death toll skyrocket.

Its just one of the many things that make the death toll skyrocket.

No.

Practice makes perfect. Thai adult motorcyclists far surpass the abilities of most other places on this earth, in skills and reflexes, and this is why they manage to survive through altercations with cars and trucks and buffaloes that would leave most other riders causualties.]\

They begin their practice at a young age, before even understanding Piaget's ideas on conservation of matter would be expected, and that is what keeps the road toll down here.

If not for the high skills and superhuman coordination of the average Thai citizen on a motorbike, in this most hazardous car-driven environment, the death-toll would be ten times higher.

It's true that Thai motocyclists are real good drivers,

but is it really worth the risk sticking a child on a motorbike at such a young age with no helmet?

I suppose no matter which side you look at it from, it's dangerous either way.

The casualties can stack from both sides because bluntly enough, Thai roads are just plain dangerous :S

(Although I completely understand what you're saying ^^)

Edited by Nouie

but is it really worth the risk sticking a child on a motorbike at such a young age with no helmet?

The casualties can stack from both sides because bluntly enough, Thai roads are just plain dangerous :S

We all gotta get to that place we gotta get to somehow, and if we have nowhere or nobody to leave our kids with, then the only possible way is to bring them with us. A mother must always be there to care for her children. That is why she has to take them with her. She loves them. I love her for taking those necessary risks with her own beloved kids when she has no other way to get to the shop to buy their groceries.

We all gotta get to that place we gotta get to somehow, and if we have nowhere or nobody to leave our kids with, then the only possible way is to bring them with us. A mother must always be there to care for her children. That is why she has to take them with her. She loves them. I love her for taking those necessary risks with her own beloved kids when she has no other way to get to the shop to buy their groceries.

It's sad how some parents can't be there for their children because they have to leave and work in order to support their family.

That's another reason why Thai kids have to be so independant compared to children from 1st world countries

It's all about survival :)

It's all about survival :)

Words cannot explain my gratitude for your ability to see reality. If we expect instant change and every family driving up and down Sukhumvit Road in a Mercedes with airbags and ABS, then all we need to do is send a few billion dollards for road safety funding. Until then, we must all do the best we can, but let us not knock a mother who has to take her children with her on a motorbike because she has not the money to finance a Mercedes.

Doesn't the reader understand that she has it hard enough already! and she can't afford the Mercedes, and her husband has a job in a factory in Bangkok making things for american companies that pay him a pittance for ten hours a day, and she has to take those kids with her on the little motorbike when she goes shopping. No wonder there are so many people on this forum try to make her life even more unbearable.

No doubt they have shares in some of these foreign companies that profit from sweatshop factories, and pay their workers next to nothing, and then they try to turn around and blame the people that they have short-changed for making do with the best transportation that they can for their families with the pathetic wages that multinational companies offer them.

In a way, motorbikes are a saviour when it comes to transport as it's the most affordable type of transport for families.

But even then, a motorbike can be quite costly for families in remote regions.

I know before I was born, my mother had to work in a sweat-shop in Bangkok in order to support her 2 children in Sa Kaeo,

because her husband had left her.

The 2 children, my older bro and sis, had to stay with relatives "separately" because it was difficult for 1 family to support even

1 extra child.

Many children experience very tough times while growning up.

I think the situation has improved, however it's got a very long way to go.

Family's have more things to worry about rather than worry about their underage child riding a motorbike

I always worry when I see 3 or 4 on a motorbike, usually 2 are small children. I shudder to think if there was a accident but I understand for many, it's the only way to get around.

Until they get into an accident, get flung 5 meters off the bike and smash their heads on the road. I'd guess that the most common motorcycle/car accidents happen at right angles.

Do good helmets even exist for children younger than... say... 6? I can appreciate that families need to transport their kids... but it's a great risk they take.

I always worry when I see 3 or 4 on a motorbike, usually 2 are small children. I shudder to think if there was a accident but I understand for many, it's the only way to get around.

Until they get into an accident, get flung 5 meters off the bike and smash their heads on the road. I'd guess that the most common motorcycle/car accidents happen at right angles.

Do good helmets even exist for children younger than... say... 6? I can appreciate that families need to transport their kids... but it's a great risk they take.

Its easy to judge them but they do it out of necessity, i would never do it but then i got the money to do something about it. Its hard for many of those families to just get around. If they don't have a bike they would be totally isolated.

Its easy to judge them but they do it out of necessity, i would never do it but then i got the money to do something about it. Its hard for many of those families to just get around. If they don't have a bike they would be totally isolated.

As I said... I appreciate why they have to do it, but it's a great risk they take. It's clearly the lesser of two evils. Or is it?

There's no easy way to fix this; it's deeply rooted in the culture. In the end they have no one to blame if there is an accident and they lose 2 children.

Just another sad tale of life.