I Am Sick To Death Of The *&###@@ Internet

mallmagician

Say I just want a reliable internet connection with reliable 1MB connection to INTERNATIONAL servers.

I am willing to pay a little more for a "Business" line.

TOT - I know for a FACT that they limit the international bandwidth, as during an argument with an engineer, they let it slip that if their Head Office tells them to de-restrict me, they could.......

They will not stand by their connection speeds for anything outside of Thailand. What a crock of poo poo. Do they stand by their Business lines? Otherwise, why do people pay a load more for them?

Any experiences with the AIS 3g Broadband? Fast? Or not?

Someone please help, because I am losing patience after 4 years of suffering.

There is no 3G here yet..

I have maxnet premier (avoid Indy) and my landlord paid 15k to get a line install by a competant tech (yes its a lot, but 7500 was to 'purchase' an unavailable line which had a 6 month waitlist pls they ran about 500m of cable over a hill so less shocking than it sounds)..

Either way they came installed, soldered all connections, tuned the line spent a couple of hours on the mobile with the tech at the DSLAM adjusting settings and I have had a rock solid line, through hel_l and high water, storms and all for the last couple of years. I was getting 3.2 Mbit to west coast USA out of a 1090 baht 3Mbit line when I last checked it !!

So it seems if you pay you can get it done.. If you wont pay, or you get a high contention user line, the tech doesnt care and just twists the cables, and no one tunes the connection from the exchange you end up with a crap one. Me I am happy to spend (my landlords) money.

Of course that doesnt apply in the boonies.. I have moved house because I couldnt get anything other than a TOT line before.

I live in Khon Kaen and was hoodwinked by T.O.T. into upgrading from 2 GB to 4GB. We live in Khon Kaen on a new housing estate which is now 5 years old.We had loads of problems with inter-net connection and went into the T.O.T. Office to make a complaint and find out what was the problem. T.O.T. told us that we were once the only householder on the estate to be using their system and now almost every house on the estate has internet connection. Thus our house is the last to receive the signal. We have had this 4GB installed for about 6 weeks now and after making as many as 6 complaints every day to them about no inter-net connections and it disconnecting etc. they finally fixed our problems two days ago.

Are you living in Bangkok? Try CSLoxinfo - I get 2.4 MB real world speed out of a 3MB home package. But if you are on the fringes of town you may not be so lucky.

Don't bother with TOT - the forum is full of complaints and I can't remember seeing one that was positive for months.

Since a couple of days TRUE gives more than the 4 Mb I pay for.

I mean with outside Thailand.

Before I had 3 Mb at the best with abroad (4 inside Thailand). Now I have 4.5 or 6 with abroad.

Well, I do not guaranty it will last.

Edited by geovalin

TOT is a joke. Absolutely terrible, both international and 50% of time within Thailand too..

TT&T Premier is pretty good now (based on my experience of past month), generally can get 2mb stable to international sites.

CAT is meant to be very good but its 3,000 baht a month for 2mb down plus install.

This is based on my experience on Samui, but a lot can vary based on the DSLAM they install up the poles (how congested they are, is they probably shielded etc..)

Hi

I am on Samui also

TT&T is good (premier 2mg package recently upgraded to 3mg with 1mg up)

CAT is good (unsure of packages but the 2mg package performs well with 35 ping to bangkok with fibre lines so im told)

CAT CDMA is ok 3mg/1mg (impressive performance over CDMA also faster speeds available and 600Baht per month according to people i know with it)

AIS and Dtac cdma is ok 460k/?? (a little tricky and annoying to top-up and select plans etc but hey, it works)

TOT is a joke (need i say more)

hope that helps

cheers.

Hi

I am on Samui also

TT&T is good (premier 2mg package recently upgraded to 3mg with 1mg up)

CAT is good (unsure of packages but the 2mg package performs well with 35 ping to bangkok with fibre lines so im told)

CAT CDMA is ok 3mg/1mg (impressive performance over CDMA also faster speeds available and 600Baht per month according to people i know with it)

AIS and Dtac cdma is ok 460k/?? (a little tricky and annoying to top-up and select plans etc but hey, it works)

TOT is a joke (need i say more)

hope that helps

cheers.

Hi Guys So above is a summary of some, plus JI Net, SME-CSLOxinfo ? albeit expensive, I see True and Maxnet get good press also.

I plan to come to Thailand later this month and the two main criteria are reasonable apartment/house rental and GOOD internet - so, the question is : What location am I likely to find suitable ? I prefer near the coast and Hua Hin and south, and Pattaya and south, areas are geographically viable. Can anyone comment on internet service in those areas. I can put in a load balancing modem and two lines if need be but must have rock solid connection.

No family concerns but want quiet area as I do like to sleep at night. BG's are no interest.

Altos.