Farang Outside Nana Square- Soi 4

Will27

Hi gang,

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Last week was in A/N shopping centre talking to one

of the massage girls when this farang came up and

asked the girl for some money. She gave him 20 Baht

and said the guy has no money for food and had his

money stolen by a Thai girl.

I saw him every day after that sitting out the front.

Reasonably well dressed and chatting to himself. Was

there for over a week.

Anyone know his story? Down on his luck, a bit of a

scammer or maybe both.

Regards

Will

I few weeks ago as I at at KFC in Phuket Town, I was approached by a decently dressed farang man close to 60 that told me his sob story about losing all his money and passport. He wanted to know where the Christian Church was so he could have a place to stay for a few days until some friends were due to arrive. I told him where the Church was, and he said that one was closed, so I told him where the local Wat's were and a Chinese Temple, but he said that he didn't like to get up at 4am. That attitude of refusing certain help, smiler to the guy in the article linked above with his "CV" stating "Expat wages only" is a very interesting psychological phenomenon to me. Coming from the Bay Area of California I am used to seeing homeless, especially around Oakland and San Francisco, and new by name a few around my place of work. One thing a lot of these homeless have in common is the actually choose to be homeless. That seems to be the direction these two are taking here. Anyway, I didn't help the guy at KFC because, A.) I doubted his story, and B.) I really felt he had the means to help himself but chose not to. He never asked me for money, but I felt like that was what the whole pitch was aimed at.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the proper thing to do is he should be directed to his embassy where they will issue him a temp passport and possibly provide a loan to pay for a flight home.

so he can live on the streets in the u.s. ?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the proper thing to do is he should be directed to his embassy where they will issue him a temp passport and possibly provide a loan to pay for a flight home.

All of the embassies have different criteria.

When I worked in Oz, the USA embassy was very good.

They would normally pay for your trip home. You wouldn't

be able to leave the USA until the debt was paid off.

The UK embassy however was dreadful. Provided virtually no help

at all to it's citizens.

Depends what country you are a citizen to I guess.

Will

there is another farang guy near nana that kinda freaks me out, he just sits crouched at soi 7 in front of New Wave, staring ahead. He is a young guy and always wears the same green shirt and corduroy pants. he would literally be in the exact same position, same spot, same expression on his face for hours, every day. sometimes with a cigg in his hand. anyone else seen him?

Edited by kblaze