Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

Although, I really tire of the pandering they are much more polite than the other surrounding countries in the region. I cannot say that if I were stuck in their financial shoes that I would not do it and they do thin out the Public Taxi Stand line for me. I think the majority of these people are harmless. Why do you people insist on associating them with organised crime. Prove it or shut up. You are just repeating what you hear from others and media. I don’t believe all of these people are “Gang” affiliated. This is just propaganda and rhetoric that is popular among governments around the world used to justify attacking a demographic of people that are guilty of nothing more than tax evasion. Anyone who can make a dollar that a government is unable to track and tax while having an unusually active social life or large group of friends is gang affiliated. Why are the red and yellow shirts not called gangs?

Anyone that is stupid enough to go with a complete stranger in a civilian car deserves to be ripped off. And better for them to learn in Thailand than a place like New Orleans or D.C. I am much more worried about the shop lifting scam. Sooner or later they are going to get one of us that have family in Thailand.I can imagine never being able to see my family again just so some pig can make a couple thousand baht.

Edited by bernie66

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just left there on Friday and no less than 6 guys come up to me while i was having a quiet smoke outside the departure lounge/level trying to tout a fair from me ,i said to them are u private operators and they all said yes ,but the best thing was i got them down to 800 baht to Pattaya Plus Tolls as this is what i had just paid to get to the airport from Pattaya .this is now the standard fee for a meter taxi to the airport ,but below on the next level they want 1500baht for the same trip and then want a tip on top of that too !!!.next i am going to the departure level to catch a nice new private car for a good price ,jing jing :)

CHA CHA CHAI me Kahp! :D

Having been following this story on Thaivisa it went through my mind yesterday when I had to use the airport. I have been approached in the past but chosen to make my own taxi arrangements via the AOT desk just outside the main exit. Yesterday I was only asked once if I needed a taxi. An improvement I would say. Only complaint would be the price of getting anything to eat or drink in the only cafe near the departure gates. 200 baht for a sandwich and 80 baht for a can of Pepsi.

Although, I really tire of the pandering they are much more polite than the other surrounding countries in the region.

Completely disagree. Been travelling to Phnom Penh for years and never had a problem there with touts or illegal taxis and the people there are helpful, polite and courteous.

This is another case where you notice immediately the difference between the strong arm of Thaksin, who would have sacked immediately the authorities involved, replaced the police or would have declared some kind of war on thugs and the slowly slowly approach of the democrats. Chuan was already known for his lack of doing something and his strengths were not to upset anyone, especially not his kingmaker Sanan. Now you have another PM without power, who has to maneuver very slowly and carefully. After all the people in power in the airport belong to the elite, the elite are the people keeping this government in power. Therefore the most simple things link sacking AOT bosses and top police will not work. This government is a disaster for the country.

A strongman can be both much better and much worse than a weak government.

Here's what Thaksin would have done: Crackdown and effective removal of the various organized crime rings on the airport, followed by taking over of their business by a legalized entity that basically does the same thing, only working for Thaksin or his family.

Power without morals invariably ends in disaster....

After a a trip north the return to swampy asked the authorised limo desk how much to Pattaya - 3000baht !

Walked outside and the Taxi rank was full and would have taken forever, so wandered up to departures and grabbed a taxi there for 1000 baht as they were dropping someone else off, he had to fill up with gas though as we left, on arrival at Pattaya he refilled again just near Mcdonalds, how much did it take? 85 baht only to fill his toyota up!

Its easy to see why people still think there is a scam going on when the limos charge 3000 baht.

Guess they had to do something to get people to use them, eliminate the competition is a good start, but dropping prices would be easier and fairer.

LOL, this driver must have used the ONE liter engine :):D:D Gasoline costs around 35.-Baht a LITER (quarter gallon for the "others") and a normal

car needs around 8 liter on 100km (60miles for the "others") dont know the exact distance from Bkk to Pattaya but go and return I guess is 100km so around 350 Baht in Gasoline costs, plus driver, plus costs for the car......I personally dont think 1000.- Baht is too much. How much is a 100km trip with a taxi in our countries?.....except India and Central Africa.

I do not agree with the really scams of the tuk tuks which charge 500 for a km ride sometimes, but I think around 1000 is fair for a two hour journey.

filling up my honda costs between 80-130 baht never more with NGV .

Although, I really tire of the pandering they are much more polite than the other surrounding countries in the region.

Completely disagree. Been travelling to Phnom Penh for years and never had a problem there with touts or illegal taxis and the people there are helpful, polite and courteous.

Also compare Manila airport now with what it used to be. Touts can't even get near the terminal let alone operate in it.

I think they miss the point completely. I doubt its the "unlicensed" guides and taxis that make tourists sceptical. Its rather news about taxfree shop scams and corupt police and officials. How arresting 1000 (pirate)-taxi help on the two later problems is beyond me. What comes first, and crackdown on the reporting of news or the scams ... time will tell, I have my favourite.

Spiraling downward every day. Pretty soon Cambodia is going to look like a modern developed country next to Thailand.

I very much fear you are right in this

It is quite disappointing to see that no one in power will stand up to the corruption and crack some heads.

Indeed it is. very. AAnd puzzling.

Has this type of behavior just been accepted by all? Where will it end?

I am afraid so, and it isn't going to end, which is one of the reasons why I think the tourist market is going to collapse for all sectors except the Ibiza mob, which Thailand is not going to be happy with at all.

It is not Thai-bashing to wonder why it is that Thais seem to believe it is their natural right that all people will love Thailand and come to Thailand to spend their money despite the financial meltdown and despite the adverse publicity Thailand is getting these days.

I really do fear for Thais if they cannot come to the understanding that whereas Thailand is a beautiful place to live, and whereas most Thais are wonderful people, the rest of the world will not tolerate bad behaviour if they believe that bad behaviour is the norm here. They just won't.

I also fear that Thais are in for a few very abrupt shocks n the next few years, and I am convinced they will be unable to cope with their severity.

Well, I arrived at the airport on Tuesday to pick up the wife from her free holiday to beijing, and must admit I was never once approached by anyone asking if I wanted a Taxi, also when i went outside on the departures level for a smoke, no-one was shouting "Pattaya Pattaya" from accross the road, so maybe its better or maybe I dont look the type anymore. I think I will post again after I return from work in about 6 weeks with my bags and "hassled long haul traveller" look.

"Surely the state of the art airport has cameras"

THE cameras are used to keep an eye on the scammers, and to make sure they pay off the staff when they manage to fleece someone.

When I was last at Suvarnabhumi in June, on my way to Udon a guy approached me after being turned away from Air Asia for missing the check in time by 5 minutes (woops, 1 too many beers at the bar the night before and slept in).

He had what appeared to be a legitimate TAT ID Card, which he showed me. He claimed to be a tourist transport assistant and offered to help me rebook another flight. I guess he took me for fresh meat, and I probably appeared so as I still felt a bit tipsy.

He quoted me a price of 3500thb for a ticket to Udon, which I knew was rubbish. Pretty impressive though, he communicated (in English) to someone via RT (Radio, for those of you not in the business of using the walky talkies) who quoted the price, apparently from the Thai Airways desk. He told me he would take cash and arrange for the ticket for me.

I told him I would go and check other prices, and meet him in 10 minutes if I did not find a cheaper price. Went straight to the Thai Counter near the oversize baggage collection and booked for 1200b...

Surely the state of the art airport has cameras and we all know has ample security to kick out taxis not willing to pay to sit in the rank, so could there not be someone monitoring people walking around the airport dealing with large numbers of foreigners for hours on end? I work in surveillance and know for a fact that this type of activity is extremely easy to pick up (same people, same behaviour, day after day)and stop (trespassing these same people from the entrance doors inwards and putting their faces on a board on the wall).

It seems they did not try very hard on their crack down. Does TAT not understand that once a farang gets scammed in a country, they never usually return unless they have a very good reason? I will never return to Malaysia for that reason - the scamming is on a much bigger and more agressive level than in LOS.

"sign in English warning of pickpockets"

the signs help the pickpockets, ppl read the sing and pat their packet to check for their goods, and thus alert the villains as to where the goods are.

It would be simple enough to make regular short warning announcements in say English, German and Thai. They do it at other places with touting/pickpocketing problems outside Thailand. Is it lack of clear-thinking or deliberate I ask myself? Deliberate, I answer myself!

I remember years ago in Tokyo seeing a few signs in English warning of pickpockets. This was in an area frequented by both Japanese and foreign tourists.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I arrived at the airport on Tuesday to pick up the wife from her free holiday to beijing, and must admit I was never once approached by anyone asking if I wanted a Taxi, also when i went outside on the departures level for a smoke, no-one was shouting "Pattaya Pattaya" from accross the road, so maybe its better or maybe I dont look the type anymore. I think I will post again after I return from work in about 6 weeks with my bags and "hassled long haul traveller" look.

Same experience last Tuesday. Walked up and down the lower levels while waiting for my bus and only once did a guy whisper politely 'taxi sir?' If our experiences are anything to go by then its yah boo sucks to all the old crones who said that Thailand can never clean up its act. [Of course that challenge is bound to lead to a string of reports about continuing hassles].

Personally it never worried me - par for the course in many parts of the world and certainly the same in London coming out of clubs late at night. The AOT girls were more irritating, knowing that tourists were falling for a fare 2 to 3 times too expensive.

This is another case where you notice immediately the difference between the strong arm of Thaksin, who would have sacked immediately the authorities involved, replaced the police or would have declared some kind of war on thugs and the slowly slowly approach of the democrats. Chuan was already known for his lack of doing something and his strengths were not to upset anyone, especially not his kingmaker Sanan. Now you have another PM without power, who has to maneuver very slowly and carefully. After all the people in power in the airport belong to the elite, the elite are the people keeping this government in power. Therefore the most simple things link sacking AOT bosses and top police will not work. This government is a disaster for the country.

A strongman can be both much better and much worse than a weak government.

Here's what Thaksin would have done: Crackdown and effective removal of the various organized crime rings on the airport, followed by taking over of their business by a legalized entity that basically does the same thing, only working for Thaksin or his family.

Power without morals invariably ends in disaster....

this is what Thaksin did do.

From day 1, he banned all taxi's from the airport, so that everyone who wanted a 'taxi' directly from the terminal would have had to catch one of his crony owned AOT Limo taxi's into town for 1200 baht. For the rest of you scum, ah, sorry valued tourists, you'd have wait for a shuttle bus to the passenger transport terminal with all your luggage, to get a regular meter taxi, which, far away from the glittering airport, was controlled by the usual 'mafia' elements.

you can imagine the reaction that one had from the Thai Visa brians trust.

But people here tend to have selectively short memories.

Having worked for his government, I know for a fact that his 'strong government' image was more a mirage. After year one, he didn't make a decision which didn't directly benefit him. Air Asia (airline deregulation), PTT IPO...the list goes on....

• 1 month later...
Public executions would prove remarkably effective so lets have a few beheadings on the roof of the car park !

Beat me to it.

Sometimes it's akin to a bunch of kids in charge of a banana republic... leave me alone or I'll tell so and so, don't tell or so and so (who is as bent as a nine bob note) will lose face.

"One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said."

Never mind the reshuffle, look at how places like Singapore would deal with this, get in there hard n fast and bang some heads. The world is watching. :)

In 1888, writer Joseph Conrad was a first mate on the steamer Vidar.

He wrote, "Anchored off Bangkok, awaiting customs to row out and collect the Char Money"

Nothing changes, corruption is endemic.

dunno about this one. Whatever they have done, it has slowed it to a trickle.

Taxi driver the other day mentioned to me that the reduction in dodgy taxi driver and touts has reduced the amount of passengers they are able to siphon off from the drivers who wait in the legitimate queue.

He said that improvement can be seen in that his wait for a ride has reduced from 4 hours to about 1 on average.

Now, whether this all lasts is another question. History suggests not.

Been through the airport 10 times in the past month and definitely see an improvement. Only one quiet "you want taxi" uttered to me at international arrivals a few weeks ago and that was it. Apart from a slight wait the other morning, there was no waiting at the taxi rank. Best of all was sitting outside at departure level watching the police pull over illegal taxis, photograph them and issue tickets.

Here's what Thaksin would have done: Crackdown and effective removal of the various organized crime rings on the airport, followed by taking over of their business by a legalized entity that basically does the same thing, only working for Thaksin or his family. .

I believe, rather, based on his proven track record of doing things the most efficient way, they would have simply been shot. :)

He wrote, "Anchored off Bangkok, awaiting customs to row out and collect the Char Money"

Are you sure that the novellist, writing in 1888, referred to corruption when he mentioned the collection of Char Money? What gave you that impression?

--

Maestro

Are you sure that the novellist, writing in 1888, referred to corruption when he mentioned the collection of Char Money? What gave you that impression?

--

Maestro

Here it is. What we know of today as tea money. It is good to know that corruption has been around a long time. Guess that also means

it is not going away anytime soon............ :) Sort of sad really.

Char was a common slang term for tea throughout British Empire and Commonwealth military forces in the 19th and 20th centuries, crossing over into civilian ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea - Cached - Similar -

Edited by rhiekel

Seriously does anyone really expect a thai crackdown to actually work?

Of course! Isn't this country "The Hub of Crackdowns?" :)

It may have been said before, but if not, isn't Thailand the hub of hubs?