Confrontation Between Royal Marines And Jet Ski Owner

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read a small article in a UK newspaper that there was a confrontation between a group of marines and a jetski operator trying to extort money for "damage" to a jetski. Guns were involved.

Anyone know about this? The jetski operator's name is JJ.

There is a thread on a local web site at the top of the phuket forum. Few pics as well.

I am amazed that anybody in this day and age with all the warnings still go out on these things.

Which paper did you see it in? It should be forwarded to all the travel sites like lonely planet etc.

Did the Royal Marines throw up their hands and surrender?

Dont be silly They are british , if they were Americans maybe,

Yes they did surrender rather than get involved in a violent confrontation and ended up paying 35000baht instead of the original 70000 that was being demanded by the jetski scum. You can see it on Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand tonight on Bravo channel.

There's a whole thread about it here>>>

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Trouble-...nd-t291222.html

Andrew Drummond has written a seperate article about the Royal Marines jetski scam incident along with pictures>>>

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/09/07/...ith-thai-mafia/

Note at the end he mentions JJ claims his father-in-law is one of the top cops in Phuket...what a surprise eh!!!

As per my other reply this certainly looks "orchestrated" to say the least. The film crew just happened to be there? lol

I'd love to see leading media including printed travel guides such as lonely planet, websites (including TV), inbound flight magazines and all enbassies issue a stern warning " DO NOT RENT JET SKIS IN THAILAND".  Not only would this do the evironment good, it would save a lot of problems, lives and cash.  Let the jet ski clowns go back to renting beach chairs.

I think you have your countries mixed up...

The americans couldn't throw their hands up, too many medals all over the chest. weighs 'em down :)

come on lets not kid ourselves

The French would fight to the bitter end.........

Edited by Zpete

The more things change the more they stay the same... In my role at the Australian Embassy from 96-98 one of my duties was to travel to ports being visited by Australian warships and brief the crews on those things which may cause them problems (booze, drugs, ladyboys, Jet skis, motorcycle hire and fighting Thais) not necessarily in that order. I then spent the next four or five days liaising with the police, jet ski owners, rental motorbike shops and bar owners, trying to prevent my troops getting the short end of the stick.

One unfortunate aspect of warship visits to Thailand is that they generally occur after the sailors/marines have been deployed to an operational area for a lengthy period, this results in a reduced tolerance to alcohol and of course a desire to let their hair down and party. I often wonder at the wisdom of making Thailand the port of call of choice given the potential for trouble that is inherent when you get three or four hundred military personnel that have had no sex (legally), booze or fun for several months and you let them loose in a place where there is an abundance of all three!!

At the end of the day, these problems would be simple to fix if those in positions of power had the desire to fix them, unfortunately, for parasites like JJ to operate successfully, he and his band of thugs must have tacit support from both the police and the local administration.

Well it doesnt paint a pretty picture and Jimmy is acting up for the camera which again is edited to look bad.. I have a feeling Jimmy may live to regret doing this show.

But most of the show is obvious sensationalism.. Drunk guy on walking street (shock horror) some jetski shenanigans girl busted at a FMP..

I LIKE THIS "The stand-off did however have a happy ending. After complaints from the British and other Embassies in Phuket the island’s police chief has ordered a crackdown on the thugs, on the orders of Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister, admitting that some policemen had also been pocketing cash with the local mafia.

Police Commander Pigad Thantiphong , who admitted that the Royal Navy had also made a complaint through the Embassy said: “Anyone who threatens tourists from now on will be prosecuted. Any policeman who assists the mafia will be punished, and independent experts will be brought in to adjudicate in any case.”..What a crock of shit,!.. and heres proof that these guys will not back down ( the thais ) i can only imagine that if the marines had "got it on " all hel_l would have broke loose, to pull a gun out just shows how far these lowlifes will go to legally rob from farang !,, :)

The more things change the more they stay the same... In my role at the Australian Embassy from 96-98 one of my duties was to travel to ports being visited by Australian warships and brief the crews on those things which may cause them problems (booze, drugs, ladyboys, Jet skis, motorcycle hire and fighting Thais) not necessarily in that order. I then spent the next four or five days liaising with the police, jet ski owners, rental motorbike shops and bar owners, trying to prevent my troops getting the short end of the stick.

One unfortunate aspect of warship visits to Thailand is that they generally occur after the sailors/marines have been deployed to an operational area for a lengthy period, this results in a reduced tolerance to alcohol and of course a desire to let their hair down and party. I often wonder at the wisdom of making Thailand the port of call of choice given the potential for trouble that is inherent when you get three or four hundred military personnel that have had no sex (legally), booze or fun for several months and you let them loose in a place where there is an abundance of all three!!

At the end of the day, these problems would be simple to fix if those in positions of power had the desire to fix them, unfortunately, for parasites like JJ to operate successfully, he and his band of thugs must have tacit support from both the police and the local administration.

After any 'operational theatre' tour (Afghanistan etc), all units immediately have home leave. I read in one report that the marines had just come from Helmand Province in Afghanistan, which isn't true. The Bulwark did deploy 40 Commando RM into Brunei for a training exercise as part of the larger Taurus '09, which Bulwark is part of. What tends to happen after 'active duty' deployments, and a decent amount of time at home, units (particularly the Royal Marines) participate in exercises designed to recharge batteries and put some fun into service life.

To be frank, these guys have already been warned about the various scams, and perhaps they haven't fully understood the consequences. However, the main point is that they've stood the local mafia down, and there's no way that they are going to 'go for it' against these farang. Lesson learned folks, an element of strength in numbers.

Per mare, per terram.

After any 'operational theatre' tour (Afghanistan etc), all units immediately have home leave. I read in one report that the marines had just come from Helmand Province in Afghanistan, which isn't true. The Bulwark did deploy 40 Commando RM into Brunei for a training exercise as part of the larger Taurus '09, which Bulwark is part of. What tends to happen after 'active duty' deployments, and a decent amount of time at home, units (particularly the Royal Marines) participate in exercises designed to recharge batteries and put some fun into service life.

This may well be true for RM, but for the RAN, they come straight from the area of operations on their way home to Australia and their first port of call is nearly always Ao Makham (Phuket Island).