Abhisit Insists Thaksin Must Return To Be Jailed

george

PM insists Thaksin must return to be jailed

BANGKOK: -- In perhaps the first interview on Twitter network, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday night that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra must return to Thailand to server his jail term.

Interviewed by Nation Group's Editor-in-Chief Suthichai Yoon at 9:30 pm, Abhisit said Thaksin would have to respect the laws like all Thais.

When asked by Suthichai to confirm whether he would not hold any talk with Thaksin if the former prime minister would not return to serve his jail term, Abhisit replied: "I want everybody to respect the laws".

"You wouldn't answer my question," Suthichai asked back.

"Read my answer well and you will find the answer," Abhisit replied.

Asked again by Suthichai to confirm his interpretation, Abhist said: "probably yes".

When asked whether Abhisit would agree to talk to Thaksin over the Twitter network moderated by Suthichai, the prime minister said the network's capacity of 140 characters per a post would be too limited to hold such a talk.

Asked by an audience what he would talk to Thaksin if he could have a four-eye meeting with him, Abhisit said he would tell Thaksin to return to accept the legal enforcement and the Thai society would forgive him.

The prime minister also said his government would focus only charter amendments that are related to related to public interest when asked whether the issue of Thaksin would affect the charter amendments.

Asked to clarify public interest, Abhisit said it would be related to the system and democratic principles, not personal interests.

"I have the duty tot uphold the laws and Khun Thaksin must be under the laws like all Thais," Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-07

Plese accept this ass my aplicattion for prof reader and editer at the natioin.

I'll run it through google translation and see if I can get it back in English.

Mark should be careful as he is only on the winning side by a small margin. Thaksin is quite capable of coming back and satisfying the elites trough requirements and having him (Mark) and PAD thrown in jail!!

Careful what you wish for.

It's good to see Abhisit pushing back for a change. We need to see more pushing back by Abhisit. Maybe some rhetorical shoving too. Abhisit rhetorically has now put Thaksin on the spot. Yes, put the heat and onus on Thaksin to come back to face justice, which Thaksin would never do.

Thaksin's predictable response to Abhisit is that he can't get justice in the Thai courts. Well once someone such as Thaksin starts trashing the courts of his country who could have confidence in the rule of law in the country? Given that Thaksin and his apologists are trying to trash the Thai Judiciary, suggesting if they returned to power they would install their own judges, what credibilty would the impartial rule of law have?

What national (or international) legitimacy could Thaksin have, especially as the exhumed leader of Thailand?

Absolutely none as the trashing of the Thai courts by Thaksin and his prospering apologists around here destroy any hope of the rule of law.

Asked by an audience what he would talk to Thaksin if he could have a four-eye meeting with him, Abhisit said he would tell Thaksin to return to accept the legal enforcement and the Thai society would forgive him.

Does the legal enforcement including defending himself in court against the other charges pending against him?

It's good to see Abhisit pushing back for a change. We need to see more pushing back by Abhisit. Maybe some rhetorical shoving too. Abhisit rhetorically has now put Thaksin on the spot. Yes, put the heat and onus on Thaksin to come back to face justice, which Thaksin would never do.

Thaksin's predictable response to Abhisit is that he can't get justice in the Thai courts. Well once someone such as Thaksin starts trashing the courts of his country who could have confidence in the rule of law in the country? Given that Thaksin and his apologists are trying to trash the Thai Judiciary, suggesting if they returned to power they would install their own judges, what credibilty would the impartial rule of law have?

What national (or international) legitimacy could Thaksin have, especially as the exhumed leader of Thailand?

Absolutely none as the trashing of the Thai courts by Thaksin and his prospering apologists around here destroy any hope of the rule of law.

Agreed,

However, there are courts and then there are Thai courts. There will always be trashers and trashees.

Without doubt Thailands Judiciary has set itself up for an imminent fall,... and deservedly so.

Thailand is a corupt shambles, historicaly, its govenment and judiciary are responsible for more wrong doings to its people than the entire criminal population of the country put together.

Clearly Khun Thaxin has embaresed himself by his actions and 'phone ins' over the past two years but his influence and intentions remain clear. I hope for the sake of Thailand's future, and credibility, both the system and those backing it might,one day, be questioned openly/accordingly,

and by someone with a little more credibility than Khun Thaxin.

The current government and the family it pretends to represent have not even one oxx's leg to stand on.

I guess trashings should be allowed sometimes as long trashings are carried out politely, within the relms of acceptability with the backing of those that might carry some weight.

As long as the opinions of educatad people remain silenced by law this country will continue to pay lip service to its people and will only remain recognised as a nice place for voyers , suspect business folk, criminals and tourists to visit?

Plese accept this ass my aplicattion for prof reader and editer at the natioin.

I'll run it through google translation and see if I can get it back in English.

Mark should be careful as he is only on the winning side by a small margin. Thaksin is quite capable of coming back and satisfying the elites trough requirements and having him (Mark) and PAD thrown in jail!!

Careful what you wish for.

A pro Thaksin intellectual I assume. :)

Abisit is now coming across somewhat confused in his interviews.

He is an educated man but gets mixed up between what he knows is the right thing, and his masters voice.

What he means by " Thai society" in his interview is anybodies guess, certainly not the north and eastern parts of thai society.

But perhaps he doesn't class them people as part of "thai society".

Maybe he ought to listen to all of thai society, via an election , not just his master, thai hi-so.

Does the legal enforcement including defending himself in court against the other charges pending against him?

Of course it does, as it did for the other cases.

But he must return to do that musn't he?

Trashing the courts does nothing productive. But it does undermone rule of law in Thailand.

If the courts act against all before them and interpret the laws evenly, if not by precident,

then the Rule Of Law can be instilled here. If you DON'T like the laws, well work to change them.

But don't expect a free ride for your side vs existing laws just because your side doesn't like them.

Thaksin was never a big fan of rule of law if it didn't favor his interests over all others.

And his interests have for sometime not been the true interests of the majority of Thai people,

no matter what his loyal sycophants here will say.

Interesting to see Yoon push Abhisit and ask difficult questions. A bit of a difference from the recent softball Thaksin interview. People may not agree with Yoon on everything but he still remains a far better journalist than most in Thailand.

I think this has been shown many times, Abhisit will consent to sharp and difficult interviews while Thaksin shies away from being interviewed by anyone that won't ask him the "right" questions. Who has more to hide? (and who would cry more about "unfair interview questions" if both were put to the test, just like he does about anything that doesn't go his way and his bumbling makes him seem more the fool?)

Perhaps the old adage about learning to walk before running is applicable here.

Please Mr. Prime Minister, would you try your hand at simple law and order tasks first. Here's a suggestion;

1. Try cleaning up the mess at BKK airport.

2. Make a clear a explicit statement that corruption is unacceptable and then hold a public inquiry. The first subjects of such an inquiry would be those military and police senior officers that have large real estate and investment holdings and that live well beyond the means of their annual salaries.

3. Oblige all of your MPs and cabinet ministers to sign an affirmation of integrity and honesty and then prosecute the most flagrant cases in order to set an example.

After you try your hand at the above, you will have the moral authority to go after Mr. Thaksin. In plain english sir, please put your own house in order first.

Interesting to see Yoon push Abhisit and ask difficult questions. A bit of a difference from the recent softball Thaksin interview. People may not agree with Yoon on everything but he still remains a far better journalist than most in Thailand.

I think this has been shown many times, Abhisit will consent to sharp and difficult interviews while Thaksin shies away from being interviewed by anyone that won't ask him the "right" questions. Who has more to hide? (and who would cry more about "unfair interview questions" if both were put to the test, just like he does about anything that doesn't go his way and his bumbling makes him seem more the fool?)

Exactly though I don't think Abhisit has been subjected to the really tough questions yet, even on that rather easy treatment he got on BBC's Hardtalk.He also gets petulant if he doesn't like the line of questioning but that's not so different from countless politicians the world over.Point is Abhisit is infinitely better equipped than Thaksin to give convincing and persuasive interviews.I have never in fact seen Thaksin give a decent performance in an interview.But the demonisation and hyper sensitivity of the elite about his speaking over their heads to the Thai people is surely counterproductive.They should learn from Iran's mistakes with the Ayatollah in the 1970's.Familiarity breeds contempt and that will work as well with Thaksin as anybody else.

Trashing the courts does nothing productive. But it does undermone rule of law in Thailand.

If the courts act against all before them and interpret the laws evenly, if not by precident,

then the Rule Of Law can be instilled here. If you DON'T like the laws, well work to change them.

But don't expect a free ride for your side vs existing laws just because your side doesn't like them.

Thaksin was never a big fan of rule of law if it didn't favor his interests over all others.

And his interests have for sometime not been the true interests of the majority of Thai people,

I don't disagree but the historical truth is that the judicial system in Thailand has almost always been politically directed.It was thus under Thaksin and only disciples of the Pollyanna tendency would suggest the situation is much different now.

I don't disagree but the historical truth is that the judicial system in Thailand has almost always been politically directed.It was thus under Thaksin and only disciples of the Pollyanna tendency would suggest the situation is much different now.

I don't think "control" would be the right word. He certainly held enough political power which he used to intimidate the judiciary. I felt that the statement "he who must not be named" gave to the judges about 2 years ago, was basically his way of saying, please don't give in to political intimidation, and do your job. That is when the indictments started rolling out (or around that same time).

One must therefore presume that the illegal coup, et al, is simply a figment, and that Thaksin will receive a fair trial now, as opposed to 2006?! I always thought he was simply on a vacation, and not AWOL.

So - man's greatest asset - freedom - is not in jeopardy here - he must simply 'return' - do some time, and all will be copacetic with the (Thai) world?!

How pathetic - where do these pseudo-intellectuals live?! Oh yes - on Twitter.

Were the situation reversed, there would be this giant sucking sound as 'they' all left Dodge.

Thaksin - ex cop - billionaire - free - must do what now?!

Intellectuals - indeed!

Exactly though I don't think Abhisit has been subjected to the really tough questions yet, even on that rather easy treatment he got on BBC's Hardtalk.He also gets petulant if he doesn't like the line of questioning but that's not so different from countless politicians the world over.Point is Abhisit is infinitely better equipped than Thaksin to give convincing and persuasive interviews.I have never in fact seen Thaksin give a decent performance in an interview.But the demonisation and hyper sensitivity of the elite about his speaking over their heads to the Thai people is surely counterproductive.They should learn from Iran's mistakes with the Ayatollah in the 1970's.Familiarity breeds contempt and that will work as well with Thaksin as anybody else.

After the refugees recently were towed to sea and set adrift Abhisit came forward to take some heavy heat from the international media. Abhisit accepted that the questions were legitimate. He was uncomfortable giving responses but he responded without complaint. Abhisit struggled but never broke a sweat.

The army and police still owe Abhisit big time for falling on the sword in yet another disaster to Thailand. That was Abhisit's media crucible as far as I'm concerned.

Imagine Thaksin's dealings with the global media in that situation.

I don't see how publically saying something "undermines" the rule of law. It is the integrity of the courts and their historic decisions that do more to undermine their authority than anything else.

I would dearly love to see Thailand move to a precedent system, which would have to obviously be backed up by a stronger appeal system. The judges are no more or less intelligent than others in the world, it is that the decision making process can always be perceived to be open to manipulation of the day, which always leaves them open to accusation of not applying the law evenly.

It is interesting that you mention changing the law. There is very little organic changes to old laws here, and the punishments seem to be stuck in the dark ages in terms of white collar crime. It always strikes me the monetary punishment is a little bit like Doctor Evil demanding "1mn Dollars" to stop his dastardly plot. Obviously most Thai governments never stay around long enough to perform a serious criminal justice review.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Ahhh yes, Thaksin returns voluntarily to Thailand, to face the judgement of the Thai courts .

..and is immediately jailed incommunicado - and facing a myriad of new charges .

Public anger ( red shirts and new recruits) grows, and appeals are made for leniency and honest trials .

World leaders appeal to Abhisit to allow freedom of speech, and a free trial for the leader of the opposition in Thailand - yes that is now Thaksin.

Does this all sound familiar ? Isn't in happening in another country close by ?

Ahhh but, we have electricity !

Interviewed by Nation Group's Editor-in-Chief Suthichai Yoon at 9:30 pm, Abhisit said Thaksin would have to respect the laws like all Thais.

I didn't realise Abhisit did comedy.

The current method is making him look cunning and them inept.

No method about it, he is cunning and they are inept.

I didn't realise Abhisit did comedy.

The current method is making him look cunning and them inept.

No method about it, he is cunning and they are inept.

Mr Abhisit is in no way a comedian! :)

What he said regarding Thaksin and the law is more believable then said vice versa. MHO

I don't see how publically saying something "undermines" the rule of law. It is the integrity of the courts and their historic decisions that do more to undermine their authority than anything else.

You are just being silly.

What does make a deeper impression on the public - a verdict that took nine hours to read and was televised a year ago or a remark "It's a joke" repeated over and over again.

And why do you think reds need to go to Sanam Luang rallies and listen how the courts are corrupt if they can make up their minds themselves?

Are you in denial of the existence of the power to persuade other people?

Why is it that reds need all sorts of red media? Don't they trust their own flock to see through the alleged propaganda?

You are just being silly.

What does make a deeper impression on the public - a verdict that took nine hours to read and was televised a year ago or a remark "It's a joke" repeated over and over again.

And why do you think reds need to go to Sanam Luang rallies and listen how the courts are corrupt if they can make up their minds themselves?

Are you in denial of the existence of the power to persuade other people?

Why is it that reds need all sorts of red media? Don't they trust their own flock to see through the alleged propaganda?

The overwhelming reason we are here in this mess is because the courts at the very beginning of this charade decided because it suited the flavour of the time that transferring your shares to your driver and maid didn't constitute control.

Persuasion isn't needed when history shows that the decisions of the day move with the political wind of the month. There are a lot of people in the country who have already made up their minds about the legal decisions that will come concerning many of the protagonists of the events of the last few years. I hope the system stands up and handles them in a way that shocks a few people into realising that all people are equal.

If people honestly believe the courts aren't ever capable of being politicised, corrupted or open to expedient decisions of the day, then there wouldn't be any issue. Let's hope that even handedness for all concerned in this mess, is the order of the day, next month and for years to come. Fingers crossed.

Has anyone consdiered that no PM anywhere in the world asked this question could answer in any way other than he must return to jail? PMs worldwide have to adhere to the law unless of course it is their legal prerogative to grant a pardon and in Thailand the PM does not have that right. If Abhisit had said that Thaksin could return and avoid jail he would be moving outside the law, taking powers he did not have and probably inviting his own immediate removal based on power abuse.

Still I guess not many think of things that way.