Married Extension Visa From Retirement

Today a friend of mine went to Chiangmai imm. to change his retirment visa to a married visa after checking with the office last week with what was required he return today to be told he can not does this with out going out of the country and returning with a multi-entry visa is this something new or just unlucky to meet the wrong person who was the same person he saw when he checked last week has any one had this problem the reason I am asking as had intended to do the same next month

Providing his retirement extension (not a visa) is within the last 30 days of it's life and he meets the requirements I can see no reason why they would not allow him to change the reason for the extension. He is just applying for a 12 month extension but with a different reason than before.

Agree with LB, but here is a thought:

could it be that he originally entered on a NON-IMM O-A visa and they consider this as not usable for a Thai wife extension?

opalhort

But if he has a retirement extension that is a non-immO which he has had and renewed for the last 5 years I am thinking more on the lines the officier wanted him to stay on the retirement extension or just did not want the bother of changing the visa over it seems very strange

But if he has a retirement extension that is a non-immO which he has had and renewed for the last 5 years I am thinking more on the lines the officier wanted him to stay on the retirement extension or just did not want the bother of changing the visa over it seems very strange

His Visa died years ago and he has been on 12 monthly extensions.

Based on the details you have given us there is no reason why he cannot extend based on his Marriage.

His Visa died years ago and he has been on 12 monthly extensions.

Based on the details you have given us there is no reason why he cannot extend based on his Marriage.

Agreed; it's complete twoddle. He should go back to immigration and if gets the same response he should ask to speak to the Supervisor

I am in UK my multi O runs out before I return to LOS xmas for 3 mths, I got married to a thai in LOS a year ago, wife still in LOS would it be cheaper and better to get a marriage visa or stick with the multi.

I do plan to move permanent/retire to thailand next summer'ish.

Thanks for any advice

There is no such thing as a marriage visa - the non immigrant O visa you seem to have had is what is issued to those married. So until you get here to live the multi O is your best choice. After you live here you can extend your stay for marriage with 400k in bank account for 2 months or 40k income.

Agree with LB, but here is a thought:

could it be that he originally entered on a NON-IMM O-A visa and they consider this as not usable for a Thai wife extension?

opalhort

Up until about 3 years ago I used the marriage extension route and every year the immigration office seemed to come up with extra hoops for me to jump through. I switched to retirement extensions and suddenly all the hurdles disappeared. I believe the main problem with marriage extensions lies in the fact (still true I assume) that these have to be submitted to Bangkok for approval and hence every "i" must be dotted and "t" crossed before your application will be accepted. The retirement extension is approved within the local office and subject therefore only to local discretion which makes it a much simpler procedure for both the applicant and the immigration official.

I recently changed from a retirement visa to a Thai spouse visa to obtain a work permit. (AND YES THIS CAN BE DONE) The Officer said that it could be done but would cause them more paperwork, however since I did need it to apply for a work permit, and that I had taken the time to have every document required by them, one was granted but it went back to the usual. 1 months visa stamped in to my passport awaiting reports from the Police where I live, then another return trip to the Immgration Office to get my passport stamped with a visa for the remainder of the 12 months.

Edited by Pitbullman1

You are using the visa term when actually talking about extensions of stay. Those 12 month stamps are not visas. What you did was change the reason for your extension of stay.

Why do you bother to keep posting your remarks we all know its an extension the matter is of changing the from retirement to married extension we also know what is needed in way of bank or income funds two posters have given their experiences on on the matter you know the might know the requirements for yearly extensions but have you had any personnal dealings at changing from retirement to married extension. It is all very well quoting the rules but once you are at the immagration its their game and they control it

It is important to get the terms right. It confuses everybody when they are wrong.

Personally I have changed from Marriage to Retirement in Samui with no problems.

Then back again form Retirement to Marriage in Korat with no problems.

This is a normal procedure and should meet with no problems.

I suspect that there is something happening here that we are unaware of. Maybe he has failed to give you all the details

You are using the visa term when actually talking about extensions of stay. Those 12 month stamps are not visas. What you did was change the reason for your extension of stay.

Why do you bother to keep posting your remarks we all know its an extension .....<snip>

Philip, the people who correct the terminology here are doing a very necessary job.

Yes, you and many here know what the talk is about but please do not forget that TV gets new members, first time visitors to Thailand all the time and for them it is essential to understand the difference if they want to avoid problems during their travel/stay here.

Of course it easier to type 'visa' rather than 'extension of stay' (should we call it EoS?), but I think especially we long time Non-residents should use the correct terminology.

Suggestion to Admin/Mods:

How about creating a comprehensive 1-2 page document explaining Visa (single/multi), visa exempt, extension (how it does affect the validity of the visa), when a re-entry permit is required etc.?

Then create a very prominent Banner at the top of the visa forum asking something like: Before posting here please read this info!

Maybe even force first-time posters via re-direct to this document and have them acknowledge that they read and understood it?

Sorry for the off topic post, but it's not worth a new topic.

opalhort

Problem is that hardly anyone looks at pinned topics.

Correct.

This is why I said "prominent banner", it could replace one of the many ad banners in this forum section.

The pinned topics can be quite obscure for newcomers.

A forced re-direct for first time posters could at least reduce the problem. It is just to easy to hit the 'new topic' button.

opalhort