Emailing Lawyers For Fee Estimates

wedders

I had some sensible replies and quotes from Chiang Mai lawyers today (politely asked for an estimate of costs for a pre-nup agreement), but here's a paranoid response from one (who shall remain nameless)...

Do you know me ?? I think you are checking around which lawyer can help and how much

Er, well yes, that was the general idea....

If you are real I will send you but it costs

What - it costs to have an estimate of the charge involved? I replied that I was indeed real (in fact had signed the original email with name, address in CM, and phone number). Have heard nothing back since (ok, I was a touch sarcastic).

Weird.

That one shouldn't post after drinking a bottle of Burgundy? :)

Can't imagine getting a reply like that in the UK, something about Thai lawyers that makes them reluctant to tell people their fee basis maybe.

In the end I got a selection of quotes between 4,000 B and 20,000 B for a very simple, single sheet of A4, agreement, in English and Thai. Well worth shopping around the more reputable legal people, their costs vary hugely.

I had some sensible replies and quotes from Chiang Mai lawyers today (politely asked for an estimate of costs for a pre-nup agreement), but here's a paranoid response from one (who shall remain nameless)...
Do you know me ?? I think you are checking around which lawyer can help and how much

What - it costs to have an estimate of the charge involved? I replied that I was indeed real (in fact had signed the original email with name, address in CM, and phone number). Have heard nothing back since (ok, I was a touch sarcastic).

Weird.

I know of one lawyer in CM who would be inclined to send a response such as you have quoted. And I would avoid him even if I was on my last legs in the desert.

He must have dreams every night that his law practice is in Manhattan because his fees reflect that.

Weird.

I know of one lawyer in CM who would be inclined to send a response such as you have quoted. And I would avoid him even if I was on my last legs in the desert.

He must have dreams every night that his law practice is in Manhattan because his fees reflect that.

One thing about lawyer is that they behave the same,dilusion of being big boss having power in their hands.

Weird.

Good chance he's one and the same, I've since seen his name mentioned on TV less than favourably. He doesn't seem to answer his phone, so could only email him anyway.

In the end Khun Akarawath Intanant at the Palm Spring village gave me a very reasonable quote yesterday, appointment today at 1pm, all done and dusted with documents signed and delivered by 2pm.

Can't argue with that.

You are lucky with Akarawath.

Because... and if you get a quote and IF you give him the job and IF when the job is done he/she will ask for more because the gasoline prices went up?

Not a hint of that - he quoted, I agreed, he did the job, I gave him the cash and left.

You are lucky with Akarawath.

Because... and if you get a quote and IF you give him the job and IF when the job is done he/she will ask for more because the gasoline prices went up?

Not a hint of that - he quoted, I agreed, he did the job, I gave him the cash and left.

I meant when you would choose somebody else :)

Wow! Another thread on lawyers in Thailand!

I suspect, in many ways, that part of the problem is that there are English-speaking Thai lawyers who try to milk the expat market. For example, don't hang around the Expats Club!

One or two guys/people do seem to surface often who seem pretty reliable. Read the threads. If you are a "cheap charlie," then you probably will get what you pay for, but I must say that there are and are not reasonable fees here as elsewhere.

I have also pointed out a few times before that if you read the Thai Civil and Commercial Code as well as a certain very well-written book on Thai law for foreigners first you will be able to ask intelligent questions when you find your lawyer There are numerous previous mentions on TV Chiang Mai threads about both sources.

Otherwise --- surprise! ---- knowing Thai is remarkably helpful! So hire an interpreter you like!

Edited by Mapguy

I suspect, in many ways, that part of the problem is that there are English-speaking Thai lawyers who try to milk the expat market. For example, don't hang around the Expats Club!

One or two guys/people do seem to surface often who seem pretty reliable. Read the threads. If you are a "cheap charlie," then you probably will get what you pay for, but I must say that there are and are not reasonable fees here as elsewhere.

I have also pointed out a few times before that if you read the Thai Civil and Commercial Code as well as a certain very well-written book on Thai law for foreigners first you will be able to ask intelligent questions when you find your lawyer There are numerous previous mentions on TV Chiang Mai threads about both sources.

Otherwise --- surprise! ---- knowing Thai is remarkably helpful! So hire an interpreter you like!

Good point, mapguy. I got caught by following a recommendation from the expats club.

I can agree with you with your last remark, I have a really good Thai lawyer who only speaks Thai and a perfect interpreter.

About being a Cheap Charlie I do absolutely Not agree. Most of our community members are willing to pay for a good advice. Don't forget they need help. Real help because otherwise they would not need a lawyer. Also getting a quote is very difficult. As a lawyer you can encounter more problems because the client did not give enough information. I speak from own experience I was a lawyer myself.

I will surprise you:

I know a Thai woman married under UK law with a husband who is more than a cheat. She is rich, very rich and always has been. So to say the opposite from what we are used to here in Thailand.

She needed a good advice about the divorce and about the real estate she owns.

The first lawyer milked her for 500.000 baht and did Nothing.

The second one charged her already 100.000 baht and told us he wants to marry that woman, leaving his family.

Welcome to Thailand!

Oh BTW she still has No real answers.