Hiking Maps In Thailand - Where Sold?

Hi folks,

I am looking to get hold of some 1 - 50:000 scale maps showing topography and settlements for running International Award programmes for young people. These are available from OmniMap in the US, but I'm thinking surely they must be produced in Thailand? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Map supplier (old fashioned walking maps, not GPS!) in Bangkok or elsewhere? Is there anything equivalent to a Geographic society in the country? Are these maps produced by the Thai army? Any answers gratefully received!!

Hi folks,

I am looking to get hold of some 1 - 50:000 scale maps showing topography and settlements for running International Award programmes for young people. These are available from OmniMap in the US, but I'm thinking surely they must be produced in Thailand? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Map supplier (old fashioned walking maps, not GPS!) in Bangkok or elsewhere? Is there anything equivalent to a Geographic society in the country? Are these maps produced by the Thai army? Any answers gratefully received!!

Go to the Royal Thai Survey Department, which produces 1:50,000 scale topographic maps for all of Thailand

It's located not too far from Sanam Luang and the Grand Palace. First locate the Ministry of Defence HQ building which is across the road from the Grand Palace, it's the building with all the old cannons out front. Facing the MoD HQ walk right and then turn left along the side of the building for about 1/2 block until you see RTSD on the right. Stop at the guard post and tell them what you want.

Hi folks,

Go to the Royal Thai Survey Department, which produces 1:50,000 scale topographic maps for all of Thailand

It's located not too far from Sanam Luang and the Grand Palace. First locate the Ministry of Defence HQ building which is across the road from the Grand Palace, it's the building with all the old cannons out front. Facing the MoD HQ walk right and then turn left along the side of the building for about 1/2 block until you see RTSD on the right. Stop at the guard post and tell them what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I'm aware only a limited number of the 1:50,000 RTSD L7017 maps are available to the public. The areas not covered include the borders, Kanchanaburi & Tak, southern Isaan and just about everywhere south of Chumphon (including Khao Sok NP). Omni Maps have a key map that shows which sheets are available.

Omni Maps don't keep them in stock and sometimes fail to complete an order. East-West Cartographic are very expensive compared to the Thai price.

DK Bookshop in Chiang Mai sell the maps that are available for the northern provinces.

I hike everywhere, 90% off road, and rely entirely on Google Earth plus GPSr and spirit compass. I know GE free is not up to date but works for me. When there are clouded areas, I have a semi elaborate work around. Best maps I've ever seen are the US Military maps of Laos on the 'net, but I guess that info is not much use!

Sounds an interesting venture.