Happy 09/09/09 Day People

oevna

Is today a big deal in Thailand? I know they like to start events on 9's (12:09 PM instead of 12:00 sharp, etc.), and I've heard that it has something to do with the fact that the number nine in Thai (เก้า "gao") sounds a bit like the word ก้าว "gaao", which means "to step" (as in to take a step forward, implying progress).

Is today a big deal in Thailand? I know they like to start events on 9's (12:09 PM instead of 12:00 sharp, etc.), and I've heard that it has something to do with the fact that the number nine in Thai (เก้า "gao") sounds a bit like the word ก้าว "gaao", which means "to step" (as in to take a step forward, implying progress).

Read an article in the news paper here today about the importance of the number.

But I think the 12:09 issue is just because they are late.

:)

Read an article in the news paper here today about the importance of the number.

But I think the 12:09 issue is just because they are late.

:)

While I can appreciate the humor in that interpretation, I have seen schedules for events (such as award ceremonies, seminars, etc.) where the various scheduled activities all start at 9 minutes after the hour. I asked about this, and I was told that it was something to do with 9 being a lucky number, because of its similarity to the word for "to step".

This was all word of mouth. I had never read anything definitive about it until today, when I found this article, with some searching. Here is an excerpt:

For Thais, the number nine is special in more ways than one. Not only is the Thai word for nine "gaew" - the same word as "step", signifying progress - but King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who has overseen and championed so much of that progress, is the ninth King of the current dynasty.