Abused By Immigration Official. Intimidated By Taxi Touts

Serpico

I was 'scolded' but not 'abused' by an immigration official at Bangkok Airport.

I was handed an arrival card on the plane and filled it out correctly, but used a yellow highlighter felt tip pen to emphasise the fact that I had a numbered 90 day 'O' visa, which I thought would prevent me getting an automatic 30 day stamp.

The Immigration guy did his nut completely. I think he was offended because I was pre-empting that he was <deleted> and that I was giving him the 'schoolteacher' treatment. He really went ballistic.

I entered the LOS eventually in a different queue.

:)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one get "abused and mistreated" by Immigration? Were you detained? Were you manhandled? I am starting to imagine handcuffs, body search, gloved finger in orifice.....

Sure those annoying taxi touts are there most of the time (and they should not be there of course) ...but a polite and firm "no thanks" has always worked for me. Never intimidated nor harangued.

I am sure it is never a good idea, in whatever country you are visiting to tell locals to Fxxx Off, no matter how tempting it may be to do so or how correct you are underthe circumstances.

agree learn to say no thank you in Thai Miaow Kap - it will always be better received tha F--- Off

I was 'scolded' but not 'abused' by an immigration official at Bangkok Airport.

I was handed an arrival card on the plane and filled it out correctly, but used a yellow highlighter felt tip pen to emphasise the fact that I had a numbered 90 day 'O' visa, which I thought would prevent me getting an automatic 30 day stamp.

The Immigration guy did his nut completely. I think he was offended because I was pre-empting that he was <deleted> and that I was giving him the 'schoolteacher' treatment. He really went ballistic.

I entered the LOS eventually in a different queue.

:D

Great post.

I am also on a 90-day visa. In order for him to notice the fact I have a visa, I use the Dr Spok 'mind meld' technique. It involves concentration and fixing the the officer in question with an intense gaze. Works every time. :)

yes, be specific. i have been coming in and out of thailand for yonk years and met all kinds in thailand, or almost all kinds at the airport.

be specific. it will help many other travellers to learn from your experience, especially so with this forum. :D

Serpico's silence is DEAFENING. :)

How does one get "abused and mistreated" by Immigration? Were you detained? Were you manhandled? I am starting to imagine handcuffs, body search, gloved finger in orifice.....

That's some peoples idea of a top night out. :)

Edited by mca

Sure those annoying taxi touts are there most of the time (and they should not be there of course) ...but a polite and firm "no thanks" has always worked for me. Never intimidated nor harangued.

I am sure it is never a good idea, in whatever country you are visiting to tell locals to Fxxx Off, no matter how tempting it may be to do so or how correct you are underthe circumstances.

Probably the same way he is being abused and mistreated by TVF members

Someone makes a 100% vague complaint about immigration officials. He then reposts a couple of times but completely refuses to describe the abuse and mistreatment he is complaining about. Unsubstantiated charges are simply not fair. Let him describe the behavior he experienced.

Someone makes a 100% vague complaint about immigration officials. He then reposts a couple of times but completely refuses to describe the abuse and mistreatment he is complaining about. Unsubstantiated charges are simply not fair. Let him describe the behavior he experienced.

Trolling for sure after the recent news items concerning swampy :)

Like it or not the word "F U C K" is not properly understood by Thais. If they hear it, or even something remotely like it, said in anger or jest, they will assume you are saying the word possible things about them and their family. It is not understood and it is a dangerous word to even use in a joke within ear shot of a thai.

Gotta agree with a few of the other posters. I've been in and out of both airports 2-4 times a year for the past 10 years and never had a problem inside or outside the airport. Same goes for my long term mates, of which there are dozens. Either this was a one-off incident or a case of impatience and bad manners by serpico

Serpico has been a professional victim on ThaiVisa for quite some time now, particularly if you take into account the period he was posting here as the now-banned PadThaiGuy.

Do a search of his posts, or look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...sult_type=posts

You may form the opinion that he is a little obsessed :)

Edited by jackspratt

Serpico has been a professional victim on ThaiVisa for quite some time now, particularly if you take into account the period he was posting here as the now-banned PadThaiGuy.

Do a search of his posts, or look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...sult_type=posts

You may form the opinion that he is a little obsessed :)

excellent work

Whilst some of the immigration officers in Thailand dont look to happy I'd rather go through immigration there than in America!

I once had one direct me to another queue where my father was to take something over to the other immigration officer and he watched me all the way there and back with his hand ready placed on his weapon - Land of the Free.

Edited by v2drinkers

I then decided to catch my taxi at the departures area and was then harangued by a dozen or more tourist mafia touts. They would not let up....No security was to be seen anywhere.

I finally told them to F off and was suddenly surrounded by these punks.

Is this any way to run an airport?

If one selects one tout, do the others drop off? Would selecting one and reading his brochure, asking about prices locations, as you move to the taxi stands keep the others away? As you flag down a taxi, say no thanks, maybe slip him a few Bhat for being such a nice bodyguard... ,<< if this sounds nutty, excuse me, but the whole airport scene sounds nutty as well, lots of desperate, poor people... at the old airport you could 'escape' on a walk way and take a taxi, train or bus.

once, with light luggage, I took a 40Bhat bus outside the airport, at rush hour A/C

----------

This airport is like a trap.

----------

What about doing a bee line for the free bus to the Novotel,,, relax in the luxury surroundings, have a coffee or drink and snack,, then get a taxi from there, surely they keep their lobby clear of the touts!?

I love toscrew with the touts. Afew years ago got a tuk-tuk half way across town before he realized I wasn't going to buy anything he flagged down a taxi for me and back to the hotel. I know off topic. I did give him some baht for his time.

Just flew in from KL on Tuesday night around 11PM via AirAsia... My suitcase was Opened and my toiletry bag was ransacked looking for valueables...

But the weird thing was the bag was locked with an add-on key lock...

I didn't notice until I got home that the lock on the zipper was at the bottom of the case, instead of the top where I ALWAYS leave it... and when I opened it and grabbed my toiletry bag, it all dumped out as it was totally unzipped... as was a small leather change bag that I use to carry personal nicknacks and momentoes... with the contets dumped all into the bag... This is something I would never do when packing...

But the Bag was locked... Obviously the AirAsia bag handlers have a set of duplicates or master keys... and as it was locked when I picked it up from the luggage carrousel, I didn't notice anything wrong until I got home.... Pisses me off, but now too late to complain or do anything...

Joke was on them... as KL trip was an in-out Visa run, and suitcase was full of snackfoods and chocolate that I was stocking up for the next year... Lucky they didn't open my other smaller bag... Full of All Beef hotdogs in freezer packs. (KL being Muslim is the place to buy beef... 3 Kg of Beef hotdogs for around 300 baht.) But then again.. this being Thailand, they probably don't eat beef anyway!!!!

Lucky Me!... I carry all valuables onto the plane with me anyway!

CS

The baggage handlers should have had this trick stopped by now! They insert the sharp end of the ball point of their pen between the teeth of your zipped suitcase, slide it along and Bingo! your case has been opened. When they have finished , they sipmly zip the case back together and it is undetectable.

Just flew in from KL on Tuesday night around 11PM via AirAsia... My suitcase was Opened and my toiletry bag was ransacked looking for valueables...

But the weird thing was the bag was locked with an add-on key lock...

I didn't notice until I got home that the lock on the zipper was at the bottom of the case, instead of the top where I ALWAYS leave it... and when I opened it and grabbed my toiletry bag, it all dumped out as it was totally unzipped... as was a small leather change bag that I use to carry personal nicknacks and momentoes... with the contets dumped all into the bag... This is something I would never do when packing...

But the Bag was locked... Obviously the AirAsia bag handlers have a set of duplicates or master keys... and as it was locked when I picked it up from the luggage carrousel, I didn't notice anything wrong until I got home.... Pisses me off, but now too late to complain or do anything...

Joke was on them... as KL trip was an in-out Visa run, and suitcase was full of snackfoods and chocolate that I was stocking up for the next year... Lucky they didn't open my other smaller bag... Full of All Beef hotdogs in freezer packs. (KL being Muslim is the place to buy beef... 3 Kg of Beef hotdogs for around 300 baht.) But then again.. this being Thailand, they probably don't eat beef anyway!!!!

Lucky Me!... I carry all valuables onto the plane with me anyway!

CS

The baggage handlers should have had this trick stopped by now! They insert the sharp end of the ball point of their pen between the teeth of your zipped suitcase, slide it along and Bingo! your case has been opened. When they have finished , they sipmly zip the case back together and it is undetectable.

How do they zip the case back together if the zip-tabs have a padlock on them or lock into the body of the case with a combination lock as on my case ???

How do they zip the case back together if the zip-tabs have a padlock on them or lock into the body of the case with a combination lock as on my case ???

I think you would move both zippers together back over the open spot as you would with just one to try to mend a broken zipper. If it's locked to the case it would be pretty hard. Seems like someone could create a V shaped tool that would work for some zippers.

I love toscrew with the touts. Afew years ago got a tuk-tuk half way across town before he realized I wasn't going to buy anything he flagged down a taxi for me and back to the hotel. I know off topic. I did give him some baht for his time.

My father and i made friends with a tuk tuk driver. He took us to a bunch of places that we spent 15 minutes each without buying anything and then took us to a bar. He then went back to the places we visited and collected his baht and returned to the bar we were at. We had a good time that night courtesy of the joints that pay touts to usher people into their places.

I always have assumed that when the checked in luggage is scanned, that they must open the bag to check it if they see something suspicion , never heard of anyone being called after checkin to go and open a bag

I was called back once, in Korea... They checked my bag went down the belt system, about 30 minutes later I hear my name over the intercom...

I was called back once, in Korea... They checked my bag went down the belt system, about 30 minutes later I hear my name over the intercom...

"Could Mr Bin Laden please return to the security scanner please." :)