Tot Internet Speed

rohitsuk

The oldchestnut again - internet speed.  Doesanybody know what has happened to TOT (they don't) in the last week ?  It has got slower and slower until we are backto: I will grow old and die before the Bangkok Post front page loads.

On the 3megpackage today it was 1.9 at 3am, 0.9 by 9am and it is now 1pm and at less than0.1 where it will no doubt stay until well after midnight.  At this speed it is almost useless for mostpractical purposes and the Thai sites seem even worse than the external ones.

I thoughtsome new Asia-US cable was coming on line last month and this was going topropel us to the speed of light !  It isnow even slower than the dial up service I used from Jasmine about four yearsago in Bangkok.

I tried thenew 10 meg service from TT&T at Big C Hangdog yesterday and it is certainlygood but not better than the Premier service, when it worked properly, from whichI recently switched to TOT because of erratic connection.  Well that has turned out to be out of thefrying pan and right into the fire since although the TOT connection is prettystable, it's so called “speed” has deteriorated to a very slow crawl.

Is thereand answer ???

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have had TOT in Hang Dong now since January on a 2meg bit. The beginning months were pretty good for the low package but it slowly went down hill. But this last 2-3 weeks has been dyer, the wife works into the small hours on the PC as like OP said the speed lives more up to what is advertised. Gonna keep on cracking on till the next bill then might see what they say if it's still the same.

Have had TOT in Hang Dong now since January on a 2meg bit. The beginning months were pretty good for the low package but it slowly went down hill. But this last 2-3 weeks has been dyer, the wife works into the small hours on the PC as like OP said the speed lives more up to what is advertised. Gonna keep on cracking on till the next bill then might see what they say if it's still the same.

I just tested my supposedly 3 Mbps connection (TOT Platinum) using the ThaiVisa speed test (i.e. to Singapore). Latency 1352 ms, download 50 kbps, i.e. slightly slower than dial up :)

/ Priceless

I just tested my supposedly 3 Mbps connection (TOT Platinum) using the ThaiVisa speed test (i.e. to Singapore). Latency 1352 ms, download 50 kbps, i.e. slightly slower than dial up :)

/ Priceless

I am ten hours into a a couple of software/operating system updates and the real transfer rate is 3.75 kbps. I'm just happy that I have a solid connection as it shows I only have 9 more hours to go........ This might be the slowest I have ever encountered here.

Here at 7 PM things are slowing down as the gamers come on line. Interesting results page from a speed test letting me know where I am:

Your current Internet Speed reading is:

27.80kbps

which means you can download at 3.48 KB/sec. from our servers.

27.8 kbps YOU

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

TOT sucks - it is a disgrace.

Last week my wife signed me up for their 3Mg special, I think it was called platinumcyber. Put in all the details correctly, finished everything and waited with baited breath for my super fast download speed....and I waited and waited, it was slower than ever before, when I had supercyber which is 256k.

My wife went to TOT got the usual run around, she called me and I put in the code again etc, but still reduced it to snail speed. They said it could be the connection or modem and they would send an engineer to check it but it might cost for connection repairs and maybe a new modem....what a load of....... :)

Eventually she insisted just to cancel it and reverted back to supercyber.

I feel quite relieved that at least I'm back to getting 256k most of the time. :D

TOT sucks - it is a disgrace.

Last week my wife signed me up for their 3Mg special, I think it was called platinumcyber. Put in all the details correctly, finished everything and waited with baited breath for my super fast download speed....and I waited and waited, it was slower than ever before, when I had supercyber which is 256k.

My wife went to TOT got the usual run around, she called me and I put in the code again etc, but still reduced it to snail speed. They said it could be the connection or modem and they would send an engineer to check it but it might cost for connection repairs and maybe a new modem....what a load of....... :)

Eventually she insisted just to cancel it and reverted back to supercyber.

I feel quite relieved that at least I'm back to getting 256k most of the time. :D

Agreed ! But so does TT&T whose every upgrade 1 to 2 to 3 megs progressively slowed my actual working speed and the connection became ever more unstable. That, with the rumours of their imminent collapse, persuaded me to switch to TOT a month ago which, at first gave me a stable connection and a reasonable speed of about 2 megs at best. This last week, however, the speed has steadily deteriorated and now is rarely above 0.1 megs including for Thai based sites.

Virtually no accountability, consumer rights or regulatory authority of course in the lovely LOS for Thai people or farangs so what to do ?

Agreed with all above

Only reasonable time at night

i.e after 11pm until 7am when thais ariseFortunately Im a night owl

Cannot even stream radio most days forget about up dates and downloads

And they wondr why its slipping out of quasi developing nation of 1195-2006 era to a sort of banan...

I have TOT is anyone doing better with true or satelite or cat or lox out here in jungle seems little choice

6 AM and all my software updates are done. Things are a bit better:

Your current Internet Speed reading is:

823.10kbps

which means you can download at 102.89 KB/sec. from our servers.

28.8 kbps dial-up

33.6 kbps dial-up

53.3 kbps dial-up

56 kbps ISDN

128 kbps ISDN

384 kbps DSL

768 kbps DSL

823.1 kbps YOU

1000 kbps DSL

1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

I suggest you keep a log of speed to both Thai and which ever overseas center you use most often. I've been doing this for the last 4 months, so have a clear picture of the deterioration of TOT, especially in the last 3 weeks.

The service center (1100) all know me by now - some of them quite good, but pointless expecting anything from them, ask to speak to a supervisor and get it logged (name, time of call etc).

Last week I went to Central TOT office and spoke with #2 manager (Nui) who was understanding and took my records and actually sent out an engineer to check my physical line ... all working fine.

Yesterday I went back as the speed of 30kb/10kb was beyond belief and she advised me to go to CM main TOT office (its located about 300m heading east from the Airport Central junction, on a tight and not obvious left as the flyover ends). I speak with a technician there and get the 'we dont guarentee inter speeds' - which I made him regret telling me - then he got a bit more down to things when I showed him my records showing in the last 4 months speed gone from 2.9Mb to 30kb! He filed a report and suspended billing me - so will give them a week to see what happens.

I aslo went to CAT in Central (as they control the main gateways to Thailand) and he admitted TOT and CAT are in dispute - so perhaps this is the real reason. Unfortunately I cat get CAT yet.

Anyway ... keep records, go to the main TOT office, file a complaint and hopefully they will take some action!

I suggest you keep a log of speed to both Thai and which ever overseas center you use most often. I've been doing this for the last 4 months, so have a clear picture of the deterioration of TOT, especially in the last 3 weeks.

The service center (1100) all know me by now - some of them quite good, but pointless expecting anything from them, ask to speak to a supervisor and get it logged (name, time of call etc).

Last week I went to Central TOT office and spoke with #2 manager (Nui) who was understanding and took my records and actually sent out an engineer to check my physical line ... all working fine.

Yesterday I went back as the speed of 30kb/10kb was beyond belief and she advised me to go to CM main TOT office (its located about 300m heading east from the Airport Central junction, on a tight and not obvious left as the flyover ends). I speak with a technician there and get the 'we dont guarentee inter speeds' - which I made him regret telling me - then he got a bit more down to things when I showed him my records showing in the last 4 months speed gone from 2.9Mb to 30kb! He filed a report and suspended billing me - so will give them a week to see what happens.

I aslo went to CAT in Central (as they control the main gateways to Thailand) and he admitted TOT and CAT are in dispute - so perhaps this is the real reason. Unfortunately I cat get CAT yet.

Anyway ... keep records, go to the main TOT office, file a complaint and hopefully they will take some action!

Great work K2K, fantastic perseverance and a service to all other TOT users.Until the last few weeks things have been OK but recently there has been a marked deterioration. i hope the work you have done gets results.

They have been here 5 times now and every time they "check" the line which means they pull out all the plugs, and put them back in. Then they walk outside and you see the relieve on their face when they find out the phone line runs underground from the street to the house.........."oh is broken there !"

:)

They have been here 5 times now and every time they "check" the line which means they pull out all the plugs, and put them back in. Then they walk outside and you see the relieve on their face when they find out the phone line runs underground from the street to the house.........."oh is broken there !"

:)

And you let them walk away after that????

They have equipment to connect the line to to determine it's quality and what speed connection it can handle. They do this check in several locations to identify a line problem and where that problem is. Check at the box on the pole before the line goes underground. Check at the entry to the house where the line comes out of the ground and connects with the house wires. Check at the modem location. They have done this at my place to confirm no line problems and soldered the connections at the first two check points which is recommended.

"And you let them walk away after that????"

I know there is no problem with the line, between 5 and 6 AM the speed is ok.

I agree it's not the local loop problem these days. The domestic bandwidth and network is decent but it's the international bandwidth that is horribly under engineered. Supposedly according to some threads in the Internet forum CAT is going to be part of a big fat pipe cable that directly links SEA and North America. Apparently the cable is already built and operational.

Of course if it can be screwed up then of course prepare to be massively disappointed. I am praying and keeping my fingers crossed it will help things. International bandwidth now in Thailand is about as fast as the infant US internet in 1993/4.

Anyone have any info on this new cable and CAT's allocation plans?

K2K top man! If we all sit back and say nothing, nothiong will change.

I am in Sansai and I have been getting less than 0.5MB download speed on TOT (within Thailand), I am paying for 4mb.

Just not acceptable imo. I get great speeds at 5am though! So, I know it's nothing to do with the line.

Phoned the helpline today to complain and will continue to do so until speeds improve.

It is just sooooo annoying, you pay for 4mb but get less than 0.5MB, same as going to pizza hut and get one slice of pizza when you have paid for a whole one, just not on!

Suggest everyone keeps complaining until something gets done.

Good speedchecker is speedtest.net

563203351.png

just done a speed test on my 3mb platinum package anyone beat that!!!

I have the same package and if you can't beat 'em join 'em with this at 21.15

Kbps KBps Mbps MBps

Download Speed: 20.3 2.54 0.02 0

Upload Speed: 255.26 31.91 0.25 0.03

Thanks to K2K for leading the way now we all need to follow so I shall be down at TOT HQ on Monday morning with my own little tale of woe. If you use http://speedchecker.org Speed Test Plus, it automatically logs your tests for 30 days and you can print off the results.

I do not want to hear any more pathetic excuses from TOT, I want to see heads spiked on poles along BOTH sides of Nawarat Bridge !

My download speeds have been in the .0? range all day. My email also stopped working. I just tried a speedtest and now I get an error message saying it has a problem downloading. I called T.O.T today and they said "We are having a problem with our international connections". When I told her I was getting the same slow speeds to BKK she didn't know what to say, except the usual " I will have to refer it to a Chiang Mai technician". I actually felt sorry for the girl because she sounded as frustrated as I did. I asked her if she got tired of having everyone complain, and she sweetly said "Yes, but it's OK".

I have been through all the checks mentioned in the above posts and they installed a new line from my home to the Dslam (Mae Rim, Chiang Mai). It was GREAT! I was getting 1.6 mps download on my 2mb connection, International! I could watch You Tube without waiting! This lasted exactly 5 days and dropped to what has been a normal .20mps lately. Explain that one.

Thanks for the directions to T.O.T office, I will be in line with you guys on monday.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

same as everyone else here, last week the sevice bombed, TOT say it is my modem, intersting thinks I have all of us bought a batch of duff modems, maybe we should do a poll or perhaps we shouls tell TOT that X chiangmai residents (where X=a number that say they have this problem) have all been told the same lame excuse and would they mind explaining how this can be so?

Was using TT&T Maxnet, but experienced port blocking & VPN connection blocking too. This was on the Maxnet 5mb Indy package.

Complaints to TT&T Maxnet resulted in the advice for me to change from their Indy package to their Premier package.

Bottom line is that I swapped from their 5mb Indy to their 2mb Premier package, at around the same price - and the result? No more port blocking & the 2mb Premier is far far faster in normal use than the 5mb Indy! Go figure! Less people on the loop I can only assume.

So why not drop TOT and try the Maxnet Premier package?