Bringing Fishing Rods From England.

bankha

Does anybody on here know if its ok to bring rods and reels and bite alarms to Thailand i am only bringing a couple of each when i return. But i am having trouble finding out through Qatar the airline i am going with if they will except them. I dont mind paying excess for them but has anybody on here ever travelled with them and took rods with them ?

Cheers Paul

Does anybody on here know if its ok to bring rods and reels and bite alarms to Thailand i am only bringing a couple of each when i return. But i am having trouble finding out through Qatar the airline i am going with if they will except them. I dont mind paying excess for them but has anybody on here ever travelled with them and took rods with them ?

Cheers Paul

i brought mine from ireland with china air no problems just put them in a piece of piping so they would not break

I brought a couple of rods over,just put them in a rod

bag with a couple of tubes.

best thing is they don't weigh the bag just put a ticket on it

and point to a trolley with other sporting gear or odd shaped bags.

My mate carried a circular washing hanger over with him

and put it in a rod bag so it went over as sports gear... :):D

Tight lines

Paul

Brought mine a few years ago with Lufhansa, packed in a plastic tube...no problem!

Cheap way is to use plastic piping tube, and padded foam at both extremities...

Fishing rods are even permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage...

I brought a fishing rod from spain to thailand two years ago in my suitcase. It was an extendable one.

But if you are wanting to bring an ordinary rod best to check with your airline, but should not be a problem.

Thankyou for all the advice. I was just going to bring it in my rod bag but as a couple have said i will put it in tubes also. I am bringing all my fishing gear back with so hope they dont mind about bite alarms and the rest in my suitcase.

Paul

just take out the batteries

I was thinking about that the other day. I was going to bring no batteries back with me but then i thought do Thailand actually sell 9v batts because i have never seen any but also on the other hand i have had no reason to look for them before now. So i will bring some with me just in case but not in the alarms themselves.

Paul

just take out the batteries

I was thinking about that the other day. I was going to bring no batteries back with me but then i thought do Thailand actually sell 9v batts because i have never seen any but also on the other hand i have had no reason to look for them before now. So i will bring some with me just in case but not in the alarms themselves.

Paul

I have seen the small square 9v battery's in 7/11..

Just remember to put some extra padding around the tips, or splint them with ice cream stick's.. as they will get thrown around allot .... I watched them loading mine one time, and it looks like they enjoy trying to throw them as far and hard as they can....

S.J.C

• 2 weeks later...

I bring fly rods with me every year when I come to Thailand, but I only bring 4 piece rods that fit into my suitcase. I carry 3 rods at a time in a plastic tube for protection. I have no idea what an electric bite alarm is. You can't buy fly tackle in Thailand, but there is spinning tackle available everywhere. I leave a couple of spinning outfits with friends in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian. You are the one I want to talk to! I raised with a fly rod in my hand, in Montana US. Now in Colorado.

I'll be moving to northern Thailand soon. Good to learn that there is no flyfishing gear available there. Its nearly weightless, so I'll bring along all of my handmade flies--basic ones that ought to be effective universally.

So, I'm think there might be trout in the colder streams along the Burma border maybe close to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. I will be living near Chaiyaphum and the Phu Khieo Wildlife Sanctuary, Chulabhorn Dam area.

Very near a river, but I don't its name, nor any of the fish species, except hearing here of catfish. Any species like Bass or Walleye? Am I right to expect trout would only be found in cooler waters along the north border?

Maybe we could connect on this common ground (water?) after I'm there and settled. Still have a legal matter delaying my move.

Cheers,

William

I bring fly rods with me every year when I come to Thailand, but I only bring 4 piece rods that fit into my suitcase. I carry 3 rods at a time in a plastic tube for protection. I have no idea what an electric bite alarm is. You can't buy fly tackle in Thailand, but there is spinning tackle available everywhere. I leave a couple of spinning outfits with friends in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

remember to pack the tackle in you bags dont take it as carryon as they will proberly have a fit and refuse to allow you to take it on the plane.

in todays world you may be classed as a possible terrorist.

if you can take over a 747 with a box cutter what could you do with a whole bag full of fishing tackle!!!!

I can see the news now, man takes over 747 with a 2/0 fishing hook!!

as for the rods pad them well in a rod tube(cheap way is some down piping with the ends taped up), label them well and you will have no problems

I had a great rod tube made with 1 end cap and 1 screw on cap for $20 from a local plumber, you just cant buy anything that cheap that is designed as a rod tube. and to top it off this thing is solid!!!!

have fun with the fishing and if you need any advice on places to fish drop me a lin I know a few good lakes

cant see any reason to schlepp my fishing gear to thailand, whether fresh or salt water angling, beach or reef, the range of rods and tackle for sale in the kingdom is more than adequate, and thai course angling friends put me onto split cane rod builders, who will build any type of rod to order, I in turn showed them how to tie flies, lures and make feeders,I always leave my rods and tackle with angling friends in mukdaharn or in which ever place I fish ,before I fly back to Aus,found a new fishing hole north east of Chiang Dao, monster carp and catfish and I dont think it has been fished much, I offered to pay for a days fishing, the owner laughed and said I could give him a fish ifI caught anything, suoried him with an 11 kg catfish caught on my home made boilies, lots ofbig carp feeding in the evening, definitely going back at xmas, tight lines and petr heil :)