• Latest posts...

1. 42

Tell me about these attractions

2. 21

Elon Musk Fear of Jail if Kamala Harris Defeats Trump: "If He Loses, I’m F—ed!"

3. 21

Elon Musk Fear of Jail if Kamala Harris Defeats Trump: "If He Loses, I’m F—ed!"

4. 1,688

What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

5. 2

New Law Allows Buyers to Inspect Online Orders Before Payment

6. 5

My Topics and comments has moved from the right side over to the left of the page

7. 2

Americans in Thailand Walk to Exercise the Right to Vote Overseas

8. 52

Elderly Swiss man busted with gun at Phuket Airport

9. 5

Forum turned upside down?

10. 52

Elderly Swiss man busted with gun at Phuket Airport

11. 49

Proof of Life

12. 3

Lebanon's Struggle for Sovereignty: Ex-PM Fouad Siniora Criticizes Global Inaction

13. 3

Lebanon's Struggle for Sovereignty: Ex-PM Fouad Siniora Criticizes Global Inaction

14. 124

British National Killed in Sattahip Motorcycle Accident

15. 559

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

Lost Passport

I sent my Thai passport (with its' EEA family permit) to the Home Office with some incorrect paperwork. The Home Office acknowledged that they had received my passport. However, I lost the letter and the reference number for the application. When I asked for my pss back the H/O requested the ref. number which I was unable to supply. The H/O phoned me and said that I should contact the Thai Embassy direct to obtain a replacement Thai pss. The Embassy however insisted that a letter from the H/O was required before issuing a new pss. I have subsequently tried to contact the H/O for such a letter but they do not reply to my requests. I keep getting transfered from one department to another and each time I just get an acknowledgement letter but no proper reply to my simple request. What should I do? Thank you. Sue

Edited by BKK2509

What were you actually applying for? Residence Card I guess.

I think it's ridiculous that no-one can help you, because your application must have been entered somewhere on the system if they sent you an acknowledgement, so anyone with access to the casework system must be able to give a reference number of some sort - but then they won't divulge much to you unless they know who they're talking to.

Where do the acknowledgement letters come from? Is there no reference number or contact phone number on them?

I would write to wherever you originally sent the application and your passport to, saying exactly what happened and enclosing copies of all letters you have sent and received on the matter. Say that unless they provide the letter required by the Thai embassy or return your passport then you will consider it stolen and report it as such, with full details of who has it, to the police.

You should send a copy of these letters to the Home Secretary:-

The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP

House of Commons,

Westminster,

London, SW1A 0AA

You should also seek further advice from the RTE, telling them that the Home Office wont provide the necessary letter. I think I am right in saying that technically the passport is actually the property of the Thai government!

Good luck.

Edited by 7by7

House of Commons,

Westminster,

London, SW1A 0AA

Just be aware that Jacqui Smith stepped down as Home Secretary in June, she was replaced by Alan Johnson - come on 7by7, you are usually more on the ball :)

I would also copy your letter to Lin Homer who is CEO of UKBA, your letter to the Home Secretary would be sent to her agency to draft a reply anyway, and it might save a bit of time.

What were you actually applying for? Residence Card I guess.

I think it's ridiculous that no-one can help you, because your application must have been entered somewhere on the system if they sent you an acknowledgement, so anyone with access to the casework system must be able to give a reference number of some sort - but then they won't divulge much to you unless they know who they're talking to.

Where do the acknowledgement letters come from? Is there no reference number or contact phone number on them?

The acknowledgement letter came from Immigration and Nationality Directorate in Croydon but no ref. or no contact number.

The H/O rang me and advised me to report lost and get a new one from the Thai Embassy. I did report to the police and took it to the Thai Embassy but they needed a letter from the H/O to confirm that I'm allowed to live in the UK legally.

I would write to wherever you originally sent the application and your passport to, saying exactly what happened and enclosing copies of all letters you have sent and received on the matter. Say that unless they provide the letter required by the Thai embassy or return your passport then you will consider it stolen and report it as such, with full details of who has it, to the police.

House of Commons,

Westminster,

London, SW1A 0AA

You should also seek further advice from the RTE, telling them that the Home Office wont provide the necessary letter. I think I am right in saying that technically the passport is actually the property of the Thai government!

Good luck.

I did everything I could think of, writing to them so many times, sending photocopies I have. They just said if you can't find the ref. , we can't help you cos there are millions of passports here! Thai Embassy should have accepted the copy of my EEA Family Permit which means I can live in the UK legally. I don't know what to do anymore. By the way, thank you for your info. I'll try that. Sue