Can A Foreigner Purchase A Car/motobike In Thailand?

Jaydillon

Hi Can a foreigner purchase a car/motorbike in thailand?I purchase a freehold apartment last year and the deeds are in my name. The utility bills are also under my name.When I visit Thailand I travel on a one year multiple entry visa.

I am thinking of purchasing a used car 2 or 3 years old,will I be allow to register and insure a car in my name?Before purchasing the vehicle I will also get Thai driving licenses.

And also can someone let me know if there are any motoring organizations like the AA or the RAC to carry out checks on the vehicle for example to check for:-

(1)Outstanding finance (2) Authenticity of the registration document (Blue Book) and vehicle ect.

Or will I need to employ a brief to carry out these checks and when buying private at what stage do I release the funds.

I would be grateful if you guys can forward me any information.

Regards

You can purchase a car or bike in your name in Thai,on a 1 yr Non-O visa.

Traps and hints:

1. Big bikes can be a problem,if imported (about) more than 3 yrs ago,as they were imported in parts,re-assembled here,and registered after using a recycled book/overstamped engine frame numbers to match a dodgy book.(reason being that parts are taxed at 30% and vehicles and bikes are taxes at around 104% depending on value,sliding scale).

2. Another big problem to be aware of is,if bike/car is purchased in a province outside of where you reside/own property the Immi dept will not issue a residence certificate needed to transfer a car or a bike as you dont live there.Don't hand over any money until your name is in the book.

This doco is needed at rego office for falang only.

3. Probably a good idea to engage legal assistance if you are not familiar with the system here.

There is no such organisation as the RAC or anything similiare here...caveat emptor

After all that happy and safe riding/driving

Rich

You can purchase a car or bike in your name in Thai,on a 1 yr Non-O visa.

Traps and hints:

1. Big bikes can be a problem,if imported (about) more than 3 yrs ago,as they were imported in parts,re-assembled here,and registered after using a recycled book/overstamped engine frame numbers to match a dodgy book.(reason being that parts are taxed at 30% and vehicles and bikes are taxes at around 104% depending on value,sliding scale).

2. Another big problem to be aware of is,if bike/car is purchased in a province outside of where you reside/own property the Immi dept will not issue a residence certificate needed to transfer a car or a bike as you dont live there.Don't hand over any money until your name is in the book.

This doco is needed at rego office for falang only.

3. Probably a good idea to engage legal assistance if you are not familiar with the system here.

There is no such organisation as the RAC or anything similiare here...caveat emptor

After all that happy and safe riding/driving

Rich

Thanks Rich for the info

LTD has nowdays computer system linking all the offices country wide so you should be able to register the car in any office you choose. At least you can renew you licence everywhere nowdays and not only you "home" office.

Also you do not need immigration certificate on your address, you have option to submit certificate of recidency from your embassy instead. That mean trip to bangkok but easier to get than immi docs.

LTD has nowdays computer system linking all the offices country wide so you should be able to register the car in any office you choose. At least you can renew you licence everywhere nowdays and not only you "home" office.

Also you do not need immigration certificate on your address, you have option to submit certificate of recidency from your embassy instead. That mean trip to bangkok but easier to get than immi docs.

MJo thanks fir the info mate,do I need to make a appointment first with the embassy in my case ( British) to get a certificate of residency or will they issue the certificate over the counter and what do I need to take with me apart from my passport. Thanks pal