Thai Economic Recovery At Risk Due To Political Unrest

george

BoT: Thai economic recovery at risk due to political unrest

PATTAYA: -- Hampered by domestic political unrest, Thailand’s economy may not continue to improve, despite the gradual economic recovery taking place globally, according to BoT deputy governor Atchana Waiquamdee.

Thailand’s gross domestic product (GDP) during the second quarter of 2009 contracted 4.9 per cent compared to the corresponding period of 2008 but grew 2 per cent from the first quarter of 2009, which is a positive sign, Mrs. Atchana said Saturday.

Improvement in the Thai economy was due both to global economic recovery and higher overseas purchase orders of Thai inventoried products but these two significant factors may not be indicators of sustainable recovery as risk factors persist and may still impact the economy, she said.

Existing domestic political problems continue to affect the Thai economy, Mrs. Atchana said. The crisis has already affected tourism and related industries, shaking public confidence in major government-sponsored projects such as the mass transit expansion programme, and impacting the confidence of investors and consumers.

She said if political unrest continues to persist in Thailand, neither investment not consumption will imrpove.

Despite the negative picture, the central bank maintains its projections that the Thai economy will contract between 3-4.5 per cent this year while GDP will grow 3-5 per cent next year, she added.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-12

I think they are the best and unique economical advisors in the World in a situation that even the best can't know what is coming with the second wave of bad credit.

The estimate is that the s**t will hit the fan late this year and nobody knows what the numbers will be. It is RIDICULOUS to say that numbers are sure and stable. That is utter BS.

U, V, roman V, or W, makes no difference if the Street violence flares up again.

No, numbers are not in flux, only trends can be observed and continuance postulated.

Best and most unique... being any good at all would be unique.

Lets not confuse supportive nationalism with actual abilities to prognosticate and plan.

:) ...Smart conclusions...and so fast.

LaoPo

I disagree, The worse shape the government is it the better chance that they wont screw around with more stimulus packages and BS. This political unrest has been priced in for years already.

I believe they already passed a graft stumulus package and the snouts are going wild finding a trough to suck on as it gets watered down through every set of hands it passes.

LaoPo

I disagree, The worse shape the government is it the better chance that they wont screw around with more stimulus packages and BS. This political unrest has been priced in for years already.

I believe they already passed a graft stumulus package and the snouts are going wild finding a trough to suck on as it gets watered down through every set of hands it passes.

This country is already perilously close to being a failed state. Corruption is what will make it irreversible. Thailand is already on the slippery slope and heading towards the deep end of the shit pool.

LaoPo

This country is already perilously close to being a failed state. Corruption is what will make it irreversible. Thailand is already on the slippery slope and heading towards the deep end of the shit pool.

It has been in it for years. What government? THE BOYS IN BKK are in it for me , myself and I. The call themselves a Democracy. It must have a different meaning in Thai then in English.

They do not have any idea how the average Thai lives and they could not care less.