Birth Registration

jauntyjohn

You talk about your wife. If you are married there is no need for you to be present when registering the birth. Only when the parents are not marrried is it necesarry that the fahter registers the birth himself.

Thanks Mario. Yes we are married. So let me get this clear. I do not have to sign anything to register the child? Will my wife need a copy of our marriage certificate?

Correct, you don't have to sign anything. As for the marriage certificate, I don't know. But if the mariage was registered in Thailand, the amphur can easily check it in their online database. if the marriage was not registered in Thailand it might be a good idea to take it along.

My son was just born last week and Hospital require the following:

1. Copy of my Passport (picture page)

2. Copy of wife's Thai ID

3. Copy of my wife's Tabien Baan

4. Copy of our Marraige certificate -or- copy of our first child's birth certificate

(my name was not translated the same way on both docs, but the translatiuon on marraige cert was a better translation, so they just took that)

They will then go to get the they will get the Thai Birth Certificate and the certified translation into English, so I can go to the Embassy for Birth Certificate and passport from US embassy.