Phuket Acts To Clean Up Jet-ski Woes

webfact

If anyone had any doubt what kind of clowns that are in control at all levels throughout the nation, we got it confirmed today. Again.

And I like this:

Sasisupa Sungvaribud, president of the Film Production Services Association, said the recordings took the form of a reality show and the events depicted were obviously staged and scripts written for the film.

First of all, it is a false statement.

Secondly, if it was not, it would mean the show is a film/tv-series production like oh-so-many-others with guns in them and their film-makers never got arrested for 'tarnishing the image of the nation'.

It requires stupidity to use that law for this and even greater to try to cover up the issues with claiming they are staged at the same time...

I've seen a few of these and most seem genuine but the jet ski one looks dubious - how come a film company was right there when it all happened and why did the ski operator allow them to film if it was to put him in a bad light? I suggest he was paid to help stage it all. It also looked like the farangs were guilty as the alleged perpetrator tried to run away. The Military police guy seemed to lose his confidence once he tried shouting the owner down and failed miserably - someone should have gently whispered to him that trying to get cash out of a Thai or not paying him, is not the same as getting a result from an underling in the armed services. The MP was completely out of his depth, especially when he claimed he knew that the damage was old. And how did 3 Thais 'surround' and intimidate a group of about 4 or 5 fully trained British sailors?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... why not give all tourists a leaflet on arrival at Phuket Samui etc airports informing them of a scam with jet skis...

The Phuket TPVs actually considered this idea at a meeting about 9 months ago, but we soon realised that the costs of printing enough leaflets would bankrupt us...

Simon

One more nails in the coffin, the sad reality about Thailand.

The people who run the country have no idea how to re build the damaged image of Thailand abroad sadly and regain the share of tourism it deserves. Perhaps some of the "Farang" like us who live here could assist.

One other idea is instead to prosecute the TV crew, invite them to film what the country is doing to rid itself of corruption. Just a simple action to turn the tide...

I love the country but Cambodia is becoming more and more appealing.

The Thai authorities have responded predictably in the "land of face". There are strict guidelines for anyone shooting in Thailand (legitimately). And a major network such as Bravo should follow the guidelines. Every country is guilty of controlling media portraying their country. Even the U.S. has stopped films such as "Salvador" from gaining widespread distribution

So the filmmakers intentionally ignored the rules. I would also be interested to know what the "purpose" and "subject matter" of the series is as stated in the application.

What is too bad is it will make it very difficult for independent filmmakers to shoot in Thailand after this fiasco. Mainstream Hollywood should be okay because they actually show the script in advance.

Edited by losworld

I see over a thousand members reading this.

Interesting post that ulimately and predictably shows Thailand in a bad light.

My experience is that Thais don't learn their lessons well. If the tourist downturn and recession continue the money generating activities will increase and the bad press will increase.

I feel for the companies and individuals who are just trying to eek out a living.

Sure there are scam merchants everywhere and Thailand has its fair share. But remember, most people you come in contact with on your holiday are just trying to make a living. If they can get the best price for something they will.

Often a fool and their money are soon parted. Just keep your eyes open, and think shit thru.

It was not staged managed, the Royal Marines would never have been involved in that at all. All R&R personnel are warned not to cause any offence or bring any disrepute on the Ship and Ship's Company whilst in a foreign port, the penalties for any transgression once back on board are very harsh indeed.

Plus with a film crew present filming every action, it stifled a proper response, until the provost marshall turned up. JJ was aware of all this, he played up to the camera swaggering about holding a rifle with a lot of 'helpers' milling about. Now he says it was staged managed, he has to say that he was told what to do for the filming, otherwise he's toast.

HM stated that this was the 'real Thailand' in an earlier post, which indeed, we know does go on, however, it appears that the Thai authorities do not want this aspect of Thailand to be viewed by the world.

I very much doubt that the film Company can claim a diplomatic incident out of this filming being stopped and likely prosecutions being made, they, by concentrating on the 'seedy aspects' of Thailand it has brought the wrath of the Thai authorities down on the heads of those involved.

Thailand relies heavily on Tourism, 70% are single men, I do not know whether or not if this will affect there individual holiday plans, a friend of mine has rung me to ask about the scams, druggies, full moon parties and general lawlessness toward holidaymakers and single men, after he had seen the programmes, I told him it's like any Town and City on a Friday and Saturday night in the UK, only here you are made responsible for your actions, that's when the scams start. :)

Well, in the states, right now the hot news is that of a 20 and 25 year old went into an "ACORN" branch with a hidden camera and asked about getting government paid help with buying a house to host their "Prostitution biz, complete with underage girls from south america". The managers of the offices (they went to four offices throughout the states), wanted to help them, no one threw them out. Then the videos got posted on the internet, and now the company ACORN is under total fire, it has been getting millions of government money.... The people that broke the story, no charges.... The crooked government is finally cutting off funding to this company, they have no choice, the country now sees the corruption,, well, we saw it before, but now "they" have to do something about it. ITS ON THE INTERNET!

Ahhhhhh, America, you can compare it to finally putting on clean socks and shoes after wearing flip flops for three months in thailand.

Here is the site, if you were wondering... biggovernment . com

wow, and do they think it will do them more good for tourism than harm by sending the production company to jail? How about using that energy and the courts to I don't know maybe arrest the scammers, put a stop to the tuk-tuk crap, arrest any cop on the take....

WOW is all I can really say.

"Tourist Police ... conceded the extortion of tourists was a problem which the police alone could not stamp out."

If only they weren't so busy extor- ... err... helping in so many other ways.

Thank you Tourist Police. It just wouldn't be Thailand without your, err, enthusiastic assistance. You fill me with such pride and confidence. Heck, I might even buy at a duty free!

The Thais simply cannot avoid shooting themselves in the foot. The first mistake they make every day, is to get up

in the morning. Once they are awake, they cannot help making mistakes. Sleep is the best prevention for this. That way

they cannot screw up. When you have fools like the Pattaya Police Chief saying they cannot do anything, that has to mean

we do not want to do anything. Correct? How difficult would it be to charge goons like JJ, and put them away. if they were

not buttering your toast? How transparent. Sometimes the Thais do not even get how transparent their corruption is. I

think they naturally assume all farengs are dumb, and will believe their nonsense. Thailand, is on the lower rung of

ASEAN, with Cambodia, Burma and the Philippines, in countries that are not addressing corruption. Malaysia, Indonesia,

Laos, Vietnam, and even India and China are addressing corruption, admitting it is a problem, making arrests, passing

sentences, and putting away the offenders. What is Thailand doing? When this same scam was revealed in Samui, after

tourists caught the incident on tape, the police levied a 1000 baht fine. When the authorities continue to show that they

are not serious, and are not to be taken seriously, this continues to happen.

Thailand runs the risk of becoming irrelevant down the road, if they do not do something about this. All of the foreign press about

Thailand today, is negative. It is catching up to them. No amount of criticism of the messenger is going to make this go away.

They have spent many years pretending the problems are not there, and now that the international press is making

a statement, and reporting the facts, the Thais are upset. Too bad. Try addressing the problem, instead of pretending

there are no problems in paradise. The Thais have taken the tourist industry for granted for far too long. It may be time

to pay the piper.

Address the problem??

You are absolutely right. Successive Thai governments have believed that suppressing the information is the way to address negative truths about Thailand.

Have a look at the evidence submitted to the UN Human Rights Commission about the lack of political will to address such problems in Thailand.

It is reproduced on TV here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Trouble-...49#entry3017349

I have resurected it as it was also suppressed. I would like every reader of TV and every foreign journalist to be aware of the true "law-enforcement" environment in Thailand. Thailand is fast becoming Burma with a veneer of democracy and the veneer is becoming thinner as the press of the free world are getting the message fast.

I invite any journalist or documentary film-producer to get in touch with me for some insight.

I am a friend of Thailand but not of its corruption.

There is absolutely no one to complain to in Thailand (a point also made by the UN Human Rights Commission).

I have personally written to Khun Abhisit the Prime Minister, 4 months ago, about the failure of the Chief of Police and the Attorney General over a period of 2 years, to respond to documented evidence asking for enquiry into the law being used as a weapon of extortion. I have had the same response from him. That is, none.

I asked the PM to "demonstrate that the wrongful conduct of some of its officials and the failure of others to address injustice and abuse of the legal process is not reflective of government attitude in Thailand".

I, perhaps naively, becuse of the way he projects himself publicly, expected a response. It seems that my question has, however, been answered by the lack of response from the P.M.

So, I will ask again. Please Mr. Abhisit, respond to the matters I have brought to your attention.

Do something for the sake of your potentially wonderful country before it is too late.

Why don't Thais understand that extorting from foreign visitors hurts themselves badly?

Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination may not recover for years.

...and that's only if they start taking steps to fix it TODAY!

>>Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of tourists was a problem which the police alone could not stamp out.

Of course not, why would the police want to cut off this big income source?

So we might all be prohibited from taking any picture in Thailand without the prior authorization of TAT, is that what it means ???

of course they have not thought it through.

the attention this is getting and the amount of video recording devices out there will ensure a deluge of video will hit the internet focusing on corruption and scams.

It was not staged managed, the Royal Marines would never have been involved in that at all.

I also don't think the marines were necessarily involved in the stage managing but I do think the rest of the 'cast' were and had probably been paid. I also wonder why the soldiers and the MP did not object to the camera being present or even seem to ask questions of why it was there. When the MP turned up he didn't even look at the camera or ask questions - if it had been me it would have been my first question as it could have had a great deal of relevance to the scenario that I was presented with and had to sort out. Why aren't some of the posters here looking critically at all this?

Notice to all foreigners planning a Thailand Holiday.

Why take chances. Protect yourself...

come to Chiang Mai...... not a jet ski in sight...

:)

No don't come to chiangmai we don't want all you tourists up here spoiling our beatiful part of Thailand. Don't have the problems that they have in all the major tourist areas can live peacefully here. If all the tourists pour in then it will ruin the place and become another shit hole like Pattaya full of bars and prostitutes and scammers.

Marsteel - I AGREE 100%!! Their drunk, bar hopping, prostitute searching, trouble making asses are NOT wanted in the most beautiful city in Thailand, where the REAL Thai people are truly wonderful. That's not to say life here is perfect, but it's a hel_l of a lot better than anything you can find down south, that's for sure!

New rules for tourists in Thailand

1. Do not bring cameras or video cameras.

2. Do not enjoy yourselves.

3. Spend as much money as you can.

4. Accept the first price you are offered.

5. Do not touch anything.

6. Hire jetski's and prepay damages.

7. Use Tuk Tuk's as the main mode of transportation.

8. Do not talk back to Thai people.

9. Buy from Nepal Tailors.

10. When leaving the country, make sure you leave all valuables behind for the Thai police.

Why don't Thais understand that extorting from foreign visitors hurts themselves badly?

Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination may not recover for years.

...and that's only if they start taking steps to fix it TODAY!

>>Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of tourists was a problem which the police alone could not stamp out.

Of course not, why would the police want to cut off this big income source?

They do it because they think the Farang will always come back. Why bother...?

I think Thailand is a wonderful place to live, as long as one is not tied here, either by a work contract, or a position where moving is a difficult option. To live here is great, but to depend on Thailand, especially with the shenanigans of the government, seems risky at best. The best scenario is to have some business that one can take anywhere in the world should that be the case. I hear about people with internet businesses and all the money that make, so if that's the case, how difficult is it to pack up and leave for a few months and live somewhere else. It's the being tied here that makes it difficult. It's the stress of the possibility of having to move and start over. What the gov't is doing should only make people want to positions themselves to be able to make a quick exodus. You people out there should share some of these techniques to help others deal with the uncertainty of living here, I don't know why sharing how you make money is such a secret. it would give relief to a lot of people, personally I don't mind sharing, just ask. But as far as this latest stunt by the government, it just shows how dangerous it can be here, and to what lengths they will go so as to not lose face. As far as I'm concerned, trying not to lose face is just that, losing face. If Thailand had nothing to hide, they wouldn't have this problem. No one out there is smart enough to lie all the time, too much to keep track of. Just a thought.

PHUKET: -- A Thai video production company involved in the filming of alleged extortion of foreigners by a Phuket jet ski operator is to be prosecuted for sending the recordings abroad for broadcasting without permission.

Nothing new here just this time the head surfaced. :)

Typical knee-jerk thai reaction to anything which comes even close to the truth.

Also in another pic it is easy to see there is a LOT of 'brass' (high up officials) in the room with the gun which was reported to now be only a 'bb-gun'. (Strange in the show JJ said, "the bullet is this long"). The last I heard JJ was still under arrest.

I hope they keep posting the videos on YouTube, as episode 2 is already out on there. It’s certainly entertaining, in a mindless sort of way.

These documentaries are just a hyped up mainly excauated load of nonsense.

Take a look on Utube at the uncut interviews and scenes. It`s obvious that most of it is semi staged, plus the bar fights and street yob sagas, you'll find these in any British towns after the pub and club animal chunking out times. Also the story about the young girl facing drug charges and her loser boyfriend. I was hoping she would have gone down for a least a year as an example to those who think Thailand is a soft touch.

That JJ who during an interview admitted that he is not a full Thai, but half Dutch, is wallowing in all the fame and is always guaranteed to put on a good show in front of the cameras.

It`s all done for gaining high viewer ratings, profit and entertainment at the expense of the Thais, damaging the already badly hit tourist industries and Thailand's image around the world.

I am sure that for the Thais and the ex-pats that helped create and produce this rubbish are looking at a very grim future career wise in Thailand and perhaps even deportation for the Farang police who participated in this without official approval.

Well it is TV so you have to expect it to be somewhat entertaining. But with regard to the Jet Ski segment - are you trying to say this sort of thing doesn't happen? If so I think you are mistaken - and it is not just jet skis but car & bike rentals too - I know from personal experience (no comeras in sight) unless you are using a bigger company to rent from maybe.

As for the girl - so if your mate happened to give you their wallet to take care of whilst they went swimming and you were then arrested whilst they were gone and banged up for possession of drugs that they happened to keep in their wallet unbeknownst to you- would you have the same opinion that YOU should be jailed for a long time? No I think probably you would expect your mate to take the rap.

As for the drunks - well at least we can agree on that one inasmuch as it happens most everywhere and that tourist areas are particularly vulnerable because people drink to have fun and the locals in and around are the scum scammers of the country you might happen to be in. As you say that is not particularly special to Thailand although in many other countries the police are active in supressing the practices these scumbags employ.

As for prosecuting the film makers - a stupid response which just cements how Thailand wishes to paste over the serious problems it fails to tackle over and over again by censorship. Wouldn't it be expected that an outsider looking to come to Thailand might find that particular response even more worrying - like so what other things might be going on that might affect me as a tourist that Thailand through its laws is surpressing. That would sure go through my mind if I was a visitor - though living here I know a few of them of them.

Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of tourists was a problem which the police alone could not stamp out.

They could try to resist the temptation.

He said the extortion gangs, including those in tourist provinces, worked under highly influential people.

Ah! The 'influential people'! Mustn't upset the influential people - they may come and shoot you. Well, not them personally of course...

How long before some FW adds a post defending the actions of the jet ski operator, and the police for prosecuting the video production company. AND, for saying it is difficult to stops these hoodlums.

It's not the "land of smiles" (though there are still a few of these around) it should be known as the "LAND OF SCAMS"

And until such time as the realms reputation is known far and wide and tourists stay away in their droves and until they (the Thais) are bitten where it really hurts (in their pockets) these scams will continue.

Two tier pricing for visitors, etc., etc. :)

Anyone who defends the actions of a gang of scum is no better than the perpertrators themselves.

You get what you deserve.

I would encourage all TV members to go rent out the video Phrom Phiram (Macabre case of Prom Pi Ram) if you need any verification or convincing of the of the Thai psyche or persona.

Edited by john b good

No don't come to chiangmai we don't want all you tourists up here spoiling our beatiful part of Thailand. Don't have the problems that they have in all the major tourist areas can live peacefully here. If all the tourists pour in then it will ruin the place and become another shit hole like Pattaya full of bars and prostitutes and scammers.

Marsteel - I AGREE 100%!! Their drunk, bar hopping, prostitute searching, trouble making asses are NOT wanted in the most beautiful city in Thailand, where the REAL Thai people are truly wonderful. That's not to say life here is perfect, but it's a hel_l of a lot better than anything you can find down south, that's for sure!

I don't think you Chiangmai people have anything to worry about, the Pattaya holiday crowd will not come there, it's not a total whore bar town.

As far as the guy outraged and writing letters to Abhisit, I don't really think it will have any impact, unless you can find someone in power that agrees with your position. Bottom line, most governments give lip service to fixing problems and nothing much gets done. Once new politicians are in power they might have good intentions, but are overrun with red tape and experienced political adversaries that have friends in high places to keep the status quo going. Look at Obama's struggle now going on in the USA over health care reform.

Is there anyone who realises how bad this looks for Thailand? Are these the actions of a wonderful country welcoming tourists with smiles and gracious hospitality? Or are these further signs of a horribly corrupt system that is getting nastier and nastier as the tourist numbers decline?

I really don't want to see the day that Thais look at their empty resorts and beaches and say: "What happened....?"

Please, please, please will somebody realise that tourists are not forced to come to Thailand, there are plenty of other destinations waiting to take over from what used to be the BEST holiday destination in the world.

Please, Mr Prime Minister, take action now. A good start would be enforcing the ban on jet-skis. With that one move, one of your big problems will be gone. You can do it. If the officials can drag out some obscure law about filiming in Thailand, they can apply the law on jet-skis. This is the perfect opportunity, I am sure the Thai people will give you their full support. BAN THEM NOW!!

It was not staged managed, the Royal Marines would never have been involved in that at all.

I also don't think the marines were necessarily involved in the stage managing but I do think the rest of the 'cast' were and had probably been paid. I also wonder why the soldiers and the MP did not object to the camera being present or even seem to ask questions of why it was there. When the MP turned up he didn't even look at the camera or ask questions - if it had been me it would have been my first question as it could have had a great deal of relevance to the scenario that I was presented with and had to sort out. Why aren't some of the posters here looking critically at all this?

I think it is because if you criticize it they feel you must believe there are no ripoffs in the jet ski business. I also think there have been a few "pumpers" on this board perhaps associated with the production.

I fully believe ripoffs occur daily in these businesses and elsewhere. But I also believe that this show and other reality programs are a ripoff themselves as they portray staged scenes as real and leave everyone participating including the viewer at a loss.

Edited by losworld

An expected response. It really is becoming pretty sad, and does nothing to encourage people to come here on holiday. Instead of shifting the blame onto others they should concentrate on actually solving some of these problems. It's not as if they are new or the perpetrators are unknown. I guess in the end, the corrupt officials have too much money at stake, or so they think. The problem is, that Thailand is not the only country in SEA that people visit these days, plenty of other options that are becoming more accessible and with all the other nonsense going on here, I think we will see further declines in the tourist numbers.

Thailand is certainly a hub, but not what the officials and bureaucrats here think.