How Much Should A Nurses Sin Sod Be?

najman

I have a long time thai friend who is a Nurse. I've never met her in person but was thinking about it. We were discussing Sin Sod casually and asked her what she thought her sin sod would be in the future.

She seems to think 1 million baht was appropriate as she is a well paid nurse (compared to other occupations in Khon Kaen) She gets around 20,000 baht per month for 8 hour days or 27,000 baht per month when she works a lot of overtime.

Does this sound right for trained nurse who is 24 years old who is almost a virgin lol ?

Is this what a doctor or other professional person in thailand would pay as sin sod for her?

Real examples would be helpful.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a long time thai friend who is a Nurse. I've never met her in person but was thinking about it. We were discussing Sin Sod casually and asked her what she thought her sin sod would be in the future.

She seems to think 1 million baht was appropriate as she is a well paid nurse (compared to other occupations in Khon Kaen) She gets around 20,000 baht per month for 8 hour days or 27,000 baht per month when she works a lot of overtime.

Does this sound right for trained nurse who is 24 years old who is almost a virgin lol ?

Is this what a doctor or other professional person in thailand would pay as sin sod for her?

I am assuming you are frang. I wonder what would say if a Thai person asks that. Would it be 500,000 or less.

Personally I would not give any SinSod to any one if I was going to marry t Thai gal. (Ops, I did and I did not give any)

"I have a long time thai friend who is a Nurse. I've never met her in person but was thinking about it"

Don't you ever meet your long time friends or have you made an exception for this nurse because she is ALMOST a virgin.??

TROLL?

You have never met her yet you are talking SinSod ? If I were you I would sell everything you have and send it to her before you get here .

As for her Salary , I dont think so !!

"I have a long time thai friend who is a Nurse. I've never met her in person but was thinking about it"

Don't you ever meet your long time friends or have you made an exception for this nurse because she is ALMOST a virgin.??

TROLL?

Thanks for your sarcasm. Plenty of that here. I met her online about 2 years ago. I had a gf at the time she had i bf. I have been in touch with her as a friend for around 2 years. Since I am single as of 2 months ago and her as of 3 months ago I started thinking about her as a possible future gf. At the moment we remain friends. And as a friend we discussed many things one of those things was her ideas on sin sod and I happened to ask her casually what she thinks her sin sod might be.

As for being a Troll, I guess everything to you is troll so i wont bother to comment on it.

You have never met her yet you are talking SinSod ? If I were you I would sell everything you have and send it to her before you get here .

see above.

As for her salary 6-7 days a week at 8 hours a nurse can easily make 20,000. Others could confirm it. Why so hard to believe? You know someone working in a huge hospital in khon kaen? If she was making any less for the hours she was doing i would tell her go be a secretary in bangkok for 15,000 per month with much shorter hours.

Thanks for adding no constructive comment/info what-so-ever.

see above.

As for her salary 6-7 days a week at 8 hours a nurse can easily make 20,000. Others could confirm it. Why so hard to believe? You know someone working in a huge hospital in khon kaen? If she was making any less for the hours she was doing i would tell her go be a secretary in bangkok for 15,000 per month with much shorter hours.

Thanks for adding no constructive comment/info what-so-ever.

Personally think she is selling herself short to you, she should be asking at least THB 2.0 million.... :)...

<deleted> has her salary got to do with the amount of Sin Sot anyway ??

sounds like nurse thinks man is a dolt. like you want marry a man you never met. though thai nurses would 4 1M baht. real nurses work at nanaplaza!

<deleted> has her salary got to do with the amount of Sin Sot anyway ??

Exactly. The amount of money SHE earns is a lot less relevant than her families economic situation. If it happens that she comes from a family that is fairly well-off (successful by most anyones standards, not just Thais) then 1 million is probably quite reasonable. However, is she happens to be the big bread earner in her family and she is basically supporting them herself then 1 million is waaaay too much.

Think about it. Would you even CONSIDER paying a 1 million baht sin sod to the family of a girl who is making 30,000+ per month at a go-go bar? Of course not!

Hope I made my point.

In a Government hospital, the salary for a graduate nurse is around 9k (7k for an auxiliary nurse) - a senior nurse can earn 20k+ Private hospitals can pay more, especially at the top end, but the bottom mend is still pretty much 7k up. This is what I was told when I asked some Thai hospital workers In know.

Sin Sot is very emotive (especially here it seems). What a Farang would give and what a Thai man would give are rarely in the same ball park. The family of the girl makes the difference and an intermediary should 'haggle' for you. In middle class families(and up) - its usually just for show and comes straight back to the couple - maybe minus the price of the party. If this is the case, then the bigger the amount the better as it gives most face (just be sure you're getting it back in that case though!). Virginity and being unmarried used to be 'part of the bargain', but things have changed (because of us perhaps?)

I was always told that Sin Sot is for two purposes: To show your perceived worth of the bride (especially in Chinese families_ - i.e. face; and secondly to pay the family for the loss of a daughter from their hearth (i.e. traditionally the wife would move to the husband's family and thus they would loose her 'work' (now possibly income of course) that she used to contribute).

Thinking about it, 1M Baht is less than 20k pounds - that's not a bad figure, if you were married in the UK, then 20k for a wedding is not expensive these days (my sister paid that at her wedding for balloons and flowers!)

Edited by wolf5370

Wasn't there some Thai superstar who got married recently with a 1 million sin sod?

Think your friends is getting ideas above her station!

My sister in law, Thai, and an English teacher here in Thailand recently got married to a Thai guy, sin sod was about 50k bht with 10 bht of gold.

It was all handed back and just for show at the wedding.

1 million is crazy. Maybe it was said as a joke. If serious I would run a mile.

:)

TROLL?

Yes, a troll.

I regret saying almost a virgin now. I was only adding that info for the sake of calculating the sinsod amount if it has anything to do with the way thais think. Some people here think i find it entertaining or something. I personally would prefer a non virgin as i dont see any benefit to a virgin at all. but she's only had 1 bf and only spent a few days with him for those that wanted to know.

Simple question turns into an attack. best not ask questions on this forum. Just hang around and cuss and belittle people instead. yeah this is the kind of people i like to hang out with - not.

I guess this is not the right place to come to to understand how sin sod works at different levels of thai society. i would have found it interesting to have some kind of very basic chart of examples of thai marriages and different education levels, social levels etc.

personally wouldnt pay 500,000 baht for the most beautiful girl in the world. Since its not something westerners would relate too unless you are a missionaire like Donnald Trump. However understanding it from a thai persepctive is what i was after. I have no intention of marrying this girl unless being her bf for at least a year after living with her and seeing how it goes, thats of course if meeting her goes well.

Thanks to those that gave decent answers. For those others that like to make snide comments: go bleep yourselves vigourously. :)

TROLL?

Yes, a troll.

and you must be harry potter i presume? douche bag

Here are some examples from people I know.

Supervisor at a factory. Wife is a bank clerk. 100k baht.

Middle Class business owner. Wife came from a family with a similar background. 500k baht.

"Hi-So" family. Wife came from a similar background. 999k baht.

Danish guy marrying ex-Pattaya girl. 2 million. ( I know, I know).

najman - if you have the time and patience, read through this older thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Engagement-t...16#entry2781797

I posted my own views there. there were also some other views expressed. some experiences.

some facts, some non facts. you ahve to work them out yourself :)

Good forward thinking on the part of the OP. What better companion than a qualified health professional for someone as he grows older . Having a live in attendant is the ideal scenario for many, including myself. I would look at the fee schedule for private nursing. Multiply the daily fee by the minimum number of years one hppes to have the services after deducting for living expenses Perhaps 2 years and voila, a rough indication.

Not romantic, I know., but it's a start for those that are pragmatic.