A Little Help Needed For Planning For Non-imm Retirement Visa

I am a USA citizen, 62 years of age. I am planning to retire in Thailand in the next month or two although there is a chance that I will be returning to the US for work next June for 4 or 5 months. I am a little confused about the process. I think I need to get an non-imm type O even though they have the app for o-a on the LA Thai Embassy website. If I do need the non-imm O first, which category do I get? From what I have seen I can only get for work or schooling. I don't see a category for planning for retirement visa.

I will be putting the 800k baht in a Thai bank, I know it has to be in the bank for 2 months before applying for the non-imm O-A, I saw on the Bank of Bangkok site that I can open an account before arriving in Thailand but almost every where else I have looked says I have to have non-imm visa and an address in Thailand.

That brings me to another question. I am not sure as of yet where I will be locating. I am leaning toward Korat or Kamphaeng. Do I have to have a rental for the O-A application, or could I give a Guest house or hotel as my residence?

I think I understand about the medical report, but do I get the police report from the US embassy while in Thailand?

I have read the post "any advise on best visa route" and I am wondering if maybe getting a multi entry non-imm O would be my best bet now--Can I get one for planning for non-imm O-A

I am sorry to be asking these questions here but I live 300 miles from the nearest Thai consulate, and they have not be very good about answering my e-mails.

Thanks in advance on any help you can give me. I want this to go as smoothly as possible.

Two options.

O-A Visa applied for in USA money can be in a US bank medical and police report needed.

OR.

A Single entry Non Imm O Visa. This would give 90 days. When you arrive in Thailand open a bank account and deposit the 800,000.

Within the last 30 days of your stay apply at Immigration for a 12 month extension.

You will need a letter from the bank verifying your balance and an up to date bank book.

No medical or police report is needed.

I hope you were talking about Bangkok Bank as there is not such thing as Bank of Bangkok. I was not aware they could open an account without you being here however.

LA Consulate will not issue non immigrant O visa from reports I have seen so if you want to use them you will have to use the OA (and only single entry). That would require medical and police report and money in US (no need to transfer until next year). If you use that route, and can not return at the same time next year (appears you may be working) you will have to start over. If you obtain a multi entry OA visa you would have more flexability (leave after six months and return to get a new one year stay from that date) and use a re-entry permit to keep your stay alive for your return from employment. Smaller Consulates should be able to issue.

If you want to do the process here; which is easy, you can probably obtain a non immigrant O visa from smaller Consulate and even if you can not a tourist visa can be used and conversion made here. That path will not require medical or police check but will require financial proof from the Thailand end.

My Friend who lives in Wasila, Alaska was able to get his O-A visa by mail from The Royal Thai Consulate in Portland - the lady who helped him Ms. Mary Wheeler was very friendly and helpful - so please give her a call - here is the info:

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE GENERAL

Nicholas J. Stanley, Honorary Consul General

The Maytag Building

1136 NW Hoyt Street, Suite 210

Portland, Oregon 97209 U.S.A.

Our office is open from 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Monday through Thursday

Mary Wheeler - Consular Assistant

You may contact us by phone at 503-221-0440,

fax - 503-221-0332 or e-mail us at mailto:[email protected]

Edited by whatchamacallit

If you are dealing with the Los Angeles consulate, and if indeed they won't issue you a Non-Immigrant O visa, and would only issue a single-entry O-A visa, another option might be a (free) Tourist Visa. You probably will need to extend it once while you are in Thailand, to give you time to open the bank account and then let the money sit there for 60 days.

As mentioned above, getting a one-year extension in Thailand is a bit easier than getting an O-A visa in the USA, due to lack of (bothersome and possibly costly) criminal check and medical exam.

On another track: Do you have *any* income? (e.g. Are you collecting Social Security at age 62?) If you have any income, and go to the US Embassy in Bangkok to get a notarized form letter stating that income, you can combine that income + savings to = B800,000. When you use this "combination" route, the money needs not be in the Thai bank for 60 days. Only when you are using B800,000 savings (with no income) does the money need to be seasoned for 60 days.

BTW, the US Embassy requires no supporting documentation to support your claim for income. You fill in the amount on the form letter, and have your signature on that letter notarized for B1200.

I want to thank everyone for your help. I think I am on the right track now.

Thanks whatchmacalit I have dealt with Portland before. About 6 months I messed up on my return flight date. I did not know that the visa starts when signed and not when you arrive in Thailand. Since everything was done by mail, unless they signed and mailed it to me so I would have gotten it the day before my flight out, my return flight date would have been outside the 60 days. It also made me nervous that I would not get the visa and my passport back in time due to late mail. They gave me a 6 month tourist visa for the price of the 60 day and mailed it to me early. Very helpful.

I still have some confusion about the 800k baht. Lopburi3 says I would not have to have the 800k in a Thai bank until next years extension if I get the OA in the US. Is that correct?

My last unanswered Question is the one about an residents address. If I get the OA here in the states, can I use the address of a Thai hotel or guest house as long as the hotel or guest house knows my location. I am really wanting the first year to "float" around Thailand until I find a place to settle.

On another note--On the Bangkok Bank website they have a form for opening an account from the US. You have to have your bank send the form thru Swift showing that you have had a long time account with your bank. The website "suggests" you can get one even if you are a tourist. I haven't tried it yet so I do not know if it works. I was thinking of using the Bangkok Bank because I can transfer money to my Bangkok Bank account through their NY branch without having to pay international transfer fee. I still have to check into what is their conversion fee.

Anyway thanks again for the help