Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link Open For Test Run On Oct 1

george

Airport Rail Link open for test run on Oct 1

BANGKOK: -- The Airport Rail Link will operate the test run on October 1, in preparation for official operation commencement on Dec 5 as planned.

Yuthana Thapcharoen, governor of the State Railway of Thailand, said on Monday that the public is invited to join the test run, with the tickets available at the Makkasan office or SRT public relations office. The train that connects Suvarnabhumi Airport and the city terminal in Makkasan will open for the public once a week.

After it is open for commercial operations, the train will charge maximum Bt150 for the express line and Bt15-Bt40 for the city line.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-14

:D ...Can someone post a map of the Airport Rail link and where it's final destination in town is?

And, what about transport from there?

Nice organized taxis there ? :)

LaoPo

Does the Airport Rail Link actually join up anywhere with ground level trackage of the SRT, or is it all "up in the air"? :D

Edited by ratcatcher

Does the Airport Rail Link actually join up anywhere with ground level trackage of the SRT, or is it all "up in the air"? :)

It's 100% elevated, it's a different gauge to SRT anyway so the trains wouldn't fit :D

There are a number of stations where you can interchange with SRT East Line (it shares the alignment). Connections to MRT and BTS but not common ticket yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, because i am travelling next month

So i found a map at

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/MassTransit/m...0Plan%207.5.pdf

and a more specific one at :

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/MassTransit/m...0Map%206.11.pdf

found at http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/index.html

The Airport Link to Suvarnabhumi Airport will provide 2 Transit options:

* A Direct Express Train that will take 15 minutes from the City Air Terminal (Makkasan) train station. This service will connect to the city’s mass transit subway system. Passengers will have the opportunity of checking in their luggage at the City Air Terminal, before boarding the express train to Suvarnabhumi airport; &

* The Commuter Train will make eight stops throughout the city, taking 30 minutes to travel the 28 kilometers (17 miles) to the airport and linking with both the *Subway and **Skytrain systems in Bangkok.

* Subway Link: Phetchaburi station for MRT (subway) Blue line

** Sky Train: Phayathai Station for BTS Sukhumvit line.

unquote

It's in a bit of an unfortunate place if you live at, say, Phrakanong. You have to get on the BTS and go 30 minutes out to Phaya Thai then all the way back across town on the Airport Link or you can change at Sukhumvit, get off the BTS, lug your bags to the MRT and go one station North to Pethcaburi, then get off the MRT and lug your bags to Makkasan. Probably use it if I'm traveling light or going to meet people at the airport. Handy for getting out to Lat Krabang I suppose, which actually does come up a few times a year. Yay for expanded transit options. Slight "meh" for people who don't live on the MRT or on the Mo Chit end of the BTS.

Also, anyone who wants to check out the carriages, you can walk under the overpass where Ekkamai crosses Pethcaburi and actually cross the tracks and just walk into the garage where the trains are parked. There are dogs milling about and local people crossing back and forth and some lackadaisical security who ignore everyone (at least as recently as 2 weeks ago). It's kind of humorous and I wonder if they're going to clamp down on letting people walk across those tracks on foot. They're fenced in, but currently they leave the door open for everyone.

"It's in a bit of an unfortunate place if you live at, say, Phrakanong...Slight "meh" for people who don't live on the MRT or on the Mo Chit end of the BTS."

It certainly is too bad that there isn't a dedicated station located at every corner of every block in Bangkok. Gosh, what mode of transportation is distributed city-wide, and is cheap and convenient...oh yeah, TAXIS.

"It's in a bit of an unfortunate place if you live at, say, Phrakanong...Slight "meh" for people who don't live on the MRT or on the Mo Chit end of the BTS."

It certainly is too bad that there isn't a dedicated station located at every corner of every block in Bangkok. Gosh, what mode of transportation is distributed city-wide, and is cheap and convenient...oh yeah, TAXIS.

Your man, he's made of the straws.

Edited by on-on

If you go 2 up, cheaper & faster to use taxi.
That's my dilemma. I live near Thong Lo. A taxi to Makassan anytime but off-peak hours is going to take 20 minutes (give or take) to get up Sukhumvit to Asoke and then to the station so, yeah, taxi ends up being more convenient. Still, it's a nifty line that I assume will benefit travelers and tourists and I'm glad the city finally commuter rail access to the airport. Officially a major city again, heh.

I still don't know where the terminal is at Suwannapoom. I see the line running to the airport, but whre is the terminus?

Anyway, living in Ratchyothin, this line is not useful. Taxi is faster.

Getting picked up by the missus in own car on departure level, better. :)

I still don't know where the terminal is at Suwannapoom. I see the line running to the airport, but whre is the terminus?

I thought it was supposed to be underground like Singapore

It's under the parking structure with entrances from the terminal and Novotel. If you go down to the lower level of the terminal you can see the new travelators heading down to the station.

Good to hear after all these years......

:D

Term in the basement...dunny.....very handy for Magic Food. :D

Since we head out to Samut P its not very handy but should take pressure off taxis and might even make them more ........wot...nicer :)

Now all we need is the Soi Bearing connecting bit to start...any idea?...