Getting Married In The Sticks...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

I suggest you've already got your answer in principle.

Just a decison of whether to add to or replace the existing facility. In fact my extended family recently had the same situation in Roi Et. The outcome was:

- Enclose an area (full walls and proper doors) which was under an already existing roof at the back of the house to create two rooms:

- - a) shower area and squat toilet plus cement 'box' to contain the needed water.

- - :) Smaller room with western style toilet but with no western style tank fitted to the toilet, plus a

cement 'box' for the water. The actual sit down toilet was just 120BAht.

Cost was 3,000Baht all up, and the local cement guy was very happy to have some work.

Family was more than pleased beacuse they now had a bathroom with toilet plus a seperate toilet room. Raised there status no end.

But there was a bonus. Local cement worker had far too much cement, so it was decided to build a bench area around three walls of the existing indoors kitchen area (previously it was nothing more than a dingy room with odd mismatched cupboards and several old worn out tables). This was enhanced as the work proceeded with ceramic tiles nicely laid on all the bench areas plus about three levels of tiles up the walls to create like a splashback around the bench areas, plus the walls were painted white and curtains fitted under the bench areas. Tiles were a gift from a farang friend (700Baht).

Total extra cost to the family for kitchen outfit was 1,000Baht. Luckily it was all completed about 4 days before the wedding party.

Very happy family. Very impressed guests.

More bonus - local cement man got several more jobs to repeat the whole thing.

Hi guys,

cheers first of all for the well wishes - the wedding will take place just outside of lampang in mid november...

The reception area is a little isolated from the inlaw's house, albeit there is a 'stranger's' house in the adjacent plot, who of course, is not really a stranger, but not a relative. This house would be the most logical place to have the bog installed as it would be during the reception time that all the beers will be sunk...

I shall look into all the options suggested so far, please keep 'em coming!

cheers

Just curious, but there are no other houses near the house of the non-relative? Regardless, I would imagine they'd be receptive to having a western style toilet installed. Depending on how much space there is, installing a separate shed with the western style toilet would be ideal if a fairly good numner of people are expected for the reception party.

Several years ago, we hosted a bash on a vacant piece of land that was located next to a small compound of about 5 or 6 houses. The party was spread out over a 4-day period, 2 days being the most active. Everyone was more than happy to be involved in the event. Two houses were directly next to the vacant land, one belonged to my sister-in-law, and the other to friend who is not related. My sister-in-law had the usual small-sized hong nam with the traditional squat pot, no lights, large pots containing water, etc. The neighbor's hong nam was a bit larger, more modern, with electric lights, a western-style sit-down (but non-flushing) toilet, and an improvised shower area. There were about 500 people that showed up for the party. Needless to say, people need to relieve themselves from time to time. You might not be expecting as many people as we had, but there was an obvious advantage in having additional, but separate hong nams available.

As stated here by others, the cost to put up a new one is not really expensive, and will probably be used and appreciated long after your reception party is over. Whatever you decide to do, you should get it done it rather soon since time can pass by rather quickly. If the house of family friend is part of a group of houses, then that may be helpful as well. It wouldn't be too surprising that the party will continue on well after the bride and groom have left. While most of the attendees will be locals, there will probably be friends and relatives from all over the country attending the event as well, not to mention your parents. Word of special events such like this gets around pretty quick.

Edited by AmeriThai

Hi guys,

cheers first of all for the well wishes - the wedding will take place just outside of lampang in mid november...

The reception area is a little isolated from the inlaw's house, albeit there is a 'stranger's' house in the adjacent plot, who of course, is not really a stranger, but not a relative. This house would be the most logical place to have the bog installed as it would be during the reception time that all the beers will be sunk...

I shall look into all the options suggested so far, please keep 'em coming!

cheers

Just curious, but there are no other houses near the house of the non-relative? Regardless, I would imagine they'd be receptive to having a western style toilet installed. Depending on how much space there is, installing a separate shed with the western style toilet would be ideal if a fairly good numner of people are expected for the reception party.

Several years ago, we hosted a bash on a vacant piece of land that was located next to a small compound of about 5 or 6 houses. The party was spread out over a 4-day period, 2 days being the most active. Everyone was more than happy to be involved in the event. Two houses were directly next to the vacant land, one belonged to my sister-in-law, and the other to friend who is not related. My sister-in-law had the usual small-sized hong nam with the traditional squat pot, no lights, large pots containing water, etc. The neighbor's hong nam was a bit larger, more modern, with electric lights, a western-style sit-down (but non-flushing) toilet, and an improvised shower area. There were about 500 people that showed up for the party. Needless to say, people need to relieve themselves from time to time. You might not be expecting as many people as we had, but there was an obvious advantage in having additional, but separate hong nams available.

As stated here by others, the cost to put up a new one is not really expensive, and will probably be used and appreciated long after your reception party is over. Whatever you decide to do, you should get it done it rather soon since time can pass by rather quickly. If the house of family friend is part of a group of houses, then that may be helpful as well. It wouldn't be too surprising that the party will continue on well after the bride and groom have left. While most of the attendees will be locals, there will probably be friends and relatives from all over the country attending the event as well, not to mention your parents. Word of special events such like this gets around pretty quick.

Very true, the whole village will turn up whether they are personally invited or not.

Expect that there will be a sizeable beer / whisky consumption.

When my extended family had a wedding party the whole vilage started to turn up 5 minutes after the first members of the actual wedding group arrived. This was 2 days before the ceremony and they expected the party to commence immediately, and it did, it would have been imposible to turn them away.

Suggest also check if there are any other local customs. Example, in our case there was a local village custom that when guests leave the party they must be given a bag of food and one or two bottles of beer to take home.

Hey, where's our invitations? Hope they don't get lost in the mail.

Good luck, hope it all goes very well and there's great enjoyment and great memories.

Consider yourself lucky! When I got married upcountry, the upgrade to the toilet was to install a squat toilet. You cannot think what they were using before....

Simon

Consider yourself very lucky, my first marrige in the sticks, there was no toilet, u went in the sugar cane field, and there was no lecky, or running water!!!

Thinking back now, I'am amazed I did all that! in 1985 up graded to a squat. :)

When I first came to Thailand I visited the house of a long timer who I'd become friends with. I was new to Thailand and in my early 20's, he was about 64. Many different things which were strange to me he helped explain, although there were many more things for which explanation only created further confusion....

Anyway..... I remember specifically that in his house in the sticks near Hat-Yai he had some sort of frame with a toilet seat on it. Kind of like a foldable chair with no back and a toilet seat for the seat. Very simple and effective, but watch out for the splash I guess !

I suggest you've already got your answer in principle.

Just a decison of whether to add to or replace the existing facility. In fact my extended family recently had the same situation in Roi Et. The outcome was:

- Enclose an area (full walls and proper doors) which was under an already existing roof at the back of the house to create two rooms:

- - a) shower area and squat toilet plus cement 'box' to contain the needed water.

- - :) Smaller room with western style toilet but with no western style tank fitted to the toilet, plus a

cement 'box' for the water. The actual sit down toilet was just 120BAht.

Cost was 3,000Baht all up, and the local cement guy was very happy to have some work.

Family was more than pleased beacuse they now had a bathroom with toilet plus a seperate toilet room. Raised there status no end.

But there was a bonus. Local cement worker had far too much cement, so it was decided to build a bench area around three walls of the existing indoors kitchen area (previously it was nothing more than a dingy room with odd mismatched cupboards and several old worn out tables). This was enhanced as the work proceeded with ceramic tiles nicely laid on all the bench areas plus about three levels of tiles up the walls to create like a splashback around the bench areas, plus the walls were painted white and curtains fitted under the bench areas. Tiles were a gift from a farang friend (700Baht).

Total extra cost to the family for kitchen outfit was 1,000Baht. Luckily it was all completed about 4 days before the wedding party.

Very happy family. Very impressed guests.

More bonus - local cement man got several more jobs to repeat the whole thing.

Great story, scorecard. It was obviously a win-win situation. The new facility out weighed the investment cost.

There have been lots of great answers here. I also like the one of the disposable Zip-lock bags for the paper. Rural Thais don't have a proper sewer system to handle the paper.

Don't forget, no paper to be put in the loo, western or Thai. Paper to be disposed of in the receptical provided.

that's a disgusting thing to do, all that scrunched up paper with the brown dot on it, i never abide by those rules ^

Don't forget, no paper to be put in the loo, western or Thai. Paper to be disposed of in the receptical provided.

that's a disgusting thing to do, all that scrunched up paper with the brown dot on it, i never abide by those rules ^

You dont obey many rules anyhow.

Ohhh, sorry, I thought it was actually you on that picture.

:D

Yeah I know............ it was a cheap shot, but I could not resist.

Sorry.

:)

And whatever you come up with remember to have the holding tank emptied the day before the bash.

You don't want it overflowing in the middle of the event.

And perhaps a good idea might be to hire someone for the day to keep the dunny clean. I have seen the state of some of them when there is a crowd and they can be pretty disgusting.

Many good temporary solutions offered here that should make for comfort of the people that will be here for only the event. It strikes me that for your own personal future comfort building something permanent on in-laws place is worth consideration unless you do not intend to visit in the future. Modifying the squat would have to be temporary since many Thai people do not understand how to use a sit down toilet. They still try to use it as if it were a squat toilet and that is hazardous.

So my suggestion is to think long term and build the extra toilet so that you will have access on future visits to your wifes parents, even to the extent of adding a shower to the new facility.

Hope your wedding goes smoothly but more importantly I hope your marriage and future are full of happiness as you build a new life together.