When Totally Incapacitated

I've sometimes wondered hypothetically, what would happen to a foreigner here who became totally incapacitated and unable to earn a living here or conduct any financial affairs.

Well, recently a 54 year old friend who has been here many years and has a wife and daughter, had a motorcycle accident and sustained brain damage. If he regains consciousness it is likely to be in a vegetative or severly disabled state. His business is dependant on his involvement and like many of us, his visa is dependant on his ability to earn an income. He has no pension or independant income of which we aware. It is also likely that he will never regain the ability to read and sign documents.

If his Esarn wife takes him back to her province as she is likely to do once his health insurance runs out and he must leave the hospital, and assuming he remains alive beyond the expiration of his visa, what will happen with his immigrant status?

This question, in different forms, has been asked a number of times over the years and immigration seems unwilling to provide any specific answer other than it will be taken care of. I suspect arrangements will be made on a case-by-case basis and may include a 'Thai' solution.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago. I went to the Immigration Office and explained the poor guys prediciment. The senior IO I spoke with said to tell his wife not to be concerned with her husband's visa, that due to his condition he would be treated as a special case and a visa would no longer be required. He lived here in Thailand in a vegative state (looked after by his wife) for a further 3 years before passing away.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a provision by immigration department to consider humanitarian grounds on a case to case basis, especially if he is married to a Thai. I am sure the department would act compassionately.

Nobody will check his papers could slide for years.

I think the question was about a legal solution.