Soi 8 Pub

pmarlin

Me and err in doors are involved in the bar game here and I can tell you we even use soi 8 bar ourselves for food and to get out of our places for while.

I am also a Master cellar keeper in the UK plus a member of C.A.M.R.A. in the UK so I think I know my beer well enough to comment.

One of the worst things about living in Thailand is the terrible beer to choose from. Bowl problem Singha, to Headache Heineken makes me a sad boy.

On the other hand soi 8 bar keeps an ok selection of drafts and one of them being the only draft beer I can say that I would choose to drink in Eurpre sometimes if noticed it, this being Warsteiner.

Please to the owner of this fine place on soi 8, do not take this the wrong way, I am helping here. The beer is kept well the service is good the issue from the start of this thread will only show with lite Pilseners as the problem is the way the staff clean the glasses. I can tell you that sometimes I get a beer and I think "nice one" other times I can taste strait away that the washing liquid you use has not been cleared out of the glasses well enough or where the glasses are cleaned there is a chemical present that is not totally washed out (it only takes a tiny tiny bit). This means lite Pilseners like Warsteiner and Headache Heineken taste old and flattish sometimes.

It's not your fault and it happens a lot in other places in fact more at other places (take my word for it). It is very small issue that takes 5 seconds of training to resolve.

Even after knowing this and it happening to me a few times I am still a regular at your place and keep going, keep up the good work mate.

As a fellow Campaign for Real Ale member I empaphise with the situation you find yourself in - having to comment on the cleanliness of the glasses to put your lagered beer in.

I have to remind myself constantly that 'a beer is better than no beer' :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being disrespectful to the OP, and his experience.

Ironically enough they gained one customer from this thread.

And that is me.

This based upon all the positive posts about the place in this thread.

Will go and have a beer there.

:D

Again, sorry for the OP and his experience there.

Me too

I guess it is true what they say. All PR is good PR.

:)

Yes, but the thing is the soi 8 does not need ay PR. It's packed full of customers 1pm on a Tuesday afternoon. People go there once, like it, and go back. A wide spectrum of foreigners enjoy the pub, and I have even noticed a number of Thai business men using it to have lunch meetings. Good to see a well mangaged pub in Bangkok.

Not being disrespectful to the OP, and his experience.

Ironically enough they gained one customer from this thread.

And that is me.

This based upon all the positive posts about the place in this thread.

Will go and have a beer there.

Again, sorry for the OP and his experience there.

Me too

I guess it is true what they say. All PR is good PR.

Yes, but the thing is the soi 8 does not need ay PR. It's packed full of customers 1pm on a Tuesday afternoon. People go there once, like it, and go back. A wide spectrum of foreigners enjoy the pub, and I have even noticed a number of Thai business men using it to have lunch meetings. Good to see a well mangaged pub in Bangkok.

But I think we should stop with this otherwise the non-smoking crowd will get their butts in an uproar about the place, and make enough noise, to get the authorities to act on it, thus turning it into another place nobody wants to go. JK :)

becoming one of the best bars in BKK that one and 2 min walk. Have a beer and then order a scotch for your second drink and then back to beer . Third beer tastes better than the first IMO

I agree with Zorro :D Soi 8 is a very good bar so sorry to hear OP had a problem there.

As Soi 8 would appear to be a regular and popular watering hole for TV members perhaps we should try and get Dave to put aside/ poster up at one of the tables as an official TV table then TV members can introduce themselves to each other.

Just a thought, maybe Mr Toad or a Mod could arrange. :D

ps I have no commercial interest in Soi 8 - I just like it.

BT :D

Its a good idea in theory (id certainly be all for it) but you're flatout even getting a nod or wink reciprocated from the average farang in BK..most will usually do their best to look the other way as they pass you by...

What makes you think TV members are gonna be any different here :)

Today is my last day in Bangkok as I fly home in the morning but will be back 3 Nov however the last couple of times at the soi 8 pub I would order a Heniken Draft (pint) and it would be the real thing but the second one would be foul, like it had gone bad or maybe a different beer, This was at a table so I couldn't see what the bar tender was pouring. Today had lunch there and it happened again but this time I pointed it out and the refused to make it right. The beer even had a rooten smell to it. Has anyone else had this prblem in this pub? Of all the places I have gotten a draft beer in Bangkok this is the only one I found this problem. Because of the crappy way they responded to it today they lost me as a customer .

Sorry to hear your comments regarding the Heineken pint. If I am correct (and you are the only person I am aware of that has complained about the beer) I personally dealt with your complaint and gave you a replacement. I explained to you that the beer came from the same keg so I could not understand why there would be a difference in taste. I checked that the gas was at the required pressure and confirmed that the keg was not yet half empty. We did all we could to establish if there was a problem and replaced the pint. I fail to see how this was a "crappy way" to respond to your complaint. We always try to rectify any problems in an efficient and friendly manner. :)

Sorrry, but that wasn't me. it was at lunch time and you weren't around.

becoming one of the best bars in BKK that one and 2 min walk. Have a beer and then order a scotch for your second drink and then back to beer . Third beer tastes better than the first IMO

I agree with Zorro :D Soi 8 is a very good bar so sorry to hear OP had a problem there.

As Soi 8 would appear to be a regular and popular watering hole for TV members perhaps we should try and get Dave to put aside/ poster up at one of the tables as an official TV table then TV members can introduce themselves to each other.

Just a thought, maybe Mr Toad or a Mod could arrange. :D

ps I have no commercial interest in Soi 8 - I just like it.

Its a good idea in theory (id certainly be all for it) but you're flatout even getting a nod or wink reciprocated from the average farang in BK..most will usually do their best to look the other way as they pass you by...

What makes you think TV members are gonna be any different here :)

Well I didn't know anyone until I joined the football forum and met some really nice guys who were TV members and that was 3 years ago and we still meet up most weeks.

We used to always meet up in Soi 8 and now we also go to Crossbar ( another good pub) where we have met other TV members. As NOT all TV members wear name badges it is only by talking to customers or them overhearing us that we even knew they were TV members.

Yes people are always wary of meeting other people they meet in pubs etc so if you have something in common it seems to break the ice somewhat.

If we give it a try there is nothing to lose as the beer in Soi 8 is still good and there always is the door. :D

ps I don't have three legs just 3 toes :D:D

BT

Interesting that the OP has not responded to the fact he was given a replacement pint!

I think he is recovering from his brush with ladyboys near soi 20, seems like he had an eventful trip. :)

I was going to let this pass and forget about it until I read some of the responses. Just want to point out some facts.

I was seved a bad draft beer.

I sent it back to the bar by waitress to get a good beer.

Waitress returned without a new beer or the old one and I was told if I wanted another beer I would have to pay for it.

I asked for the manager and was told "not here".

I paid my bill including for the beer I did not drink, kept all the change and didn't leave my usual tip and left.

By the way until this happened I was a frequest visitor to the Pub during my two week stay and even after the fact I was served a bad beer prior to this one on a another day I keep coming back. Each time when I paid my tab I left a large tip, at least 20 to 25% of the tab because it was good service. I was not making this up and it did happen.

But I think we should stop with this otherwise the non-smoking crowd will get their butts in an uproar about the place, and make enough noise, to get the authorities to act on it, thus turning it into another place nobody wants to go. JK :)

yup, its always the non-smoking-want-a-beer-for-free-crowd that spoil it fot the rest of us. :D

my issue with Soi 8 is it's always so busy, and I can seldom find a barstool to perch on

having said that, Soi 8 along with the also mentioned Crossbar are imho the two best run pubs in BKK, many thanks to Dave and Brian (honest, guv, I'm only a customer)

talking about behind the bar activities, I had a ten minute beer in the Huntsman last month(basement of Landmark just along Suk from Soi 8), the main barperson had just changed the barrel on one of the draft lagers and ran off the initial froth into several jars. Then over a period of those ten minutes he gradually reduced this froth down to one jar of beer, skimmed off the remaining excess froth and placed the full jar into the cooler...I left so did not see how the jar of beer was used, but we can all guess

my preferred drinking style is bottled beer out of the bottle because glasses not properly washed can so easily destroy the flavour and character of a beer

Perhaps someone could explain how/where the Soi 8 pub has a "non smoking area", given that it's pretty much one big open room inside and the patio outside, and smoking is allowed and pretty much encouraged both inside and out???

Encouraged is a strong word John.

The non-smoking area at soi 8 pub is in the ladies washroom. apparently.

Perhaps someone could explain how/where the Soi 8 pub has a "non smoking area", given that it's pretty much one big open room inside and the patio outside, and smoking is allowed and pretty much encouraged both inside and out???

JF, the non smoking area is in the new extension near the kitchen area. Okay it is all open plan but it does have extractors and at least it goes someway to cater for all.

If my memory serves me well the last time / only time you came to the footy meeting you had other distractions with you ( about 5 hanging on to your every word :D ) so I am surprised you even noticed the smokers !!! :)

BKK thanks for the inside knowledge not many of the guys have been there. :D

BT

BigToe....thanks for clarifying the situation with the supposed "non-smoking" area in the Soi 8 Pub...

Actually, I've been in there a number of times after first moving into the neighborhood... I don't recall ever going to any "footy" meeting there, but I did drop by for a TV meeting one time (with a crowd as you mentioned). And, apart from that occasion, I've been there for breakfast and lunch a number of times as well... Even tried their hamburger once.

But these days, I pretty much have written it off my list. I personally don't like smoking. And I don't like places that encourage smoking without at least providing EQUAL and real accommodation for non-smokers... not just a table or tables in the corner.

It strikes me as strange that the two pubs a lot of folks in the "footy" neighborhood promote as their favorites, Soi 8 Pub and Crossbar, tend to be two of the most smoke-ridden places around... Well..maybe...not so strange....

JF, the non smoking area is in the new extension near the kitchen area. Okay it is all open plan but it does have extractors and at least it goes someway to cater for all.

If my memory serves me well the last time / only time you came to the footy meeting you had other distractions with you ( about 5 hanging on to your every word :D ) so I am surprised you even noticed the smokers !!! :)

BKK thanks for the inside knowledge not many of the guys have been there. :D

BT

LOL you may as well drink in the toilet as thats a crappy area for a party. Who would sit there unless they were dining or really had to. Its supposed to be the other way around, the smokers supposed to to sit in the dungeon. But really who cares, the pollution will kill you before a couple of hours in a smoke filled room, it is BKK after all.

Edited by zorro1

Well JF if that is your decision so be it youv'e voted with your feet as you are entitled to do.

I do find it strange though that you even responded to the thread when you had obviously already made your mind up regarding ( in IMHO) the two best pubs in BKK unless of course you just wanted to bang your big drum regarding your feelings to smoking again.

You have stated your feelings a number of times re non smoking so I think we have got your message loud and clear. :D

Footy crowd - not so strange at all - in fact a good bunch of lads and sometimes even the girls do come along and as we all support different teams we are very tolerant of other peeople's views. :)

Have a good day as we will not see you at any of the pubs mentioned.

Maybe OP had still a bad taste in his mouth by visiting Lolita's...

just before having his beer at Soi 8 Pub :)

Where's Lolita's? Maybe when I'm back in nov for my next two week stay I need to check that out before I go to Soi 8 pub and have a "bottle Beer". No more draft for me. At least not at Soi 8 Pub.

just before having his beer at Soi 8 Pub :D

Where's Lolita's? Maybe when I'm back in nov for my next two week stay I need to check that out before I go to Soi 8 pub and have a "bottle Beer". No more draft for me. At least not at Soi 8 Pub.

Just to lighten things up - " A LITTLE "

Nurses at Lolita's Aren't Supposed To Laugh........

'Okay then,' said Fred, and he proceeded to drop his trousers, revealing the tiniest 'man-thingy' the nurse had ever seen. Length And width, it couldn't have been bigger than

a AAA battery.

Unable to control herself, the nurse started giggling, then fell to the floor laughing.

Ten minutes later, she was able to struggle to her feet and regain her composure.

'I am so sorry,' she said. 'I don't know what came over me. on my honor as a nurse and a lady, I promise it won't happen again. Now, Tell me, what seems to be the problem?'

'It's swollen,' Fred replied. :)

She ran out of the room :D

just before having his beer at Soi 8 Pub :D

Lolitas will find you grass hopper ,when the time has come :D you cannot receive instructions here , its well hidden for a reason and only for the privelgged few. So they say :)

BigToe, I hardly need to bang any drum, as you put it... And you of course make the wrong assumption about the reason for my post on this subject....

I responded in this thread because, one poster above claimed the Soi 8 Pub had instituted some kind of "non-smoking" area... And, knowing the interior layout as I do, I found it hard to figure how the pub could have accomplished that. So I asked a genuine question, and the poster answered my question above.

And of course, it became obvious from the answer, it really is NOT a non-smoking area at all... just a corner inside the pub.

If the Soi 8 Pub did create a real non-smoking area, they might regain me and others as customers. But of course, they're not interested in doing that... They're only interested in creating a haven for smokers.

I do find it strange though that you even responded to the thread when you had obviously already made your mind up regarding ( in IMHO) the two best pubs in BKK unless of course you just wanted to bang your big drum regarding your feelings to smoking again.
Edited by jfchandler

BigToe, I hardly need to bang any drum, as you put it... And you of course make the wrong assumption about the reason for my post on this subject....

I responded in this thread because, one poster above claimed the Soi 8 Pub had instituted some kind of "non-smoking" area... And, knowing the interior layout as I do, I found it hard to figure how the pub could have accomplished that. So I asked a genuine question, and the poster answered my question above.

And of course, it became obvious from the answer, it really is NOT a non-smoking area at all... just a corner inside the pub.

If the Soi 8 Pub did create a real non-smoking area, they might regain me and others as customers. But of course, they're not interested in doing that... They're only interested in creating a haven for smokers. -----

JF I think I heard you loud and clear and did not make any wrong assumptions at all.

You knew the pub, you knew the interior you may NOT have known of the Non Smoking area which if you read the thread you would know was me that said it.

It is an area about a third of the pub and you can't smoke in it - so it is a non smoking area - simple. It has extractors too as I previously stated.

Re BANGING OF DRUM - your comments that intimated the footy crowd may be strange or not strange as they enjoy the two pubs mentioned was IMHO not very helpful as you were again refering to smokers. The above comment -"They're only interested in creating a haven for smokers. " ----- again IMHO shows your stance and bangs your favorite Big drum. There are many other totally Non Smking pubs to go to so no harm done as it does not restrict you as it is your decision to go or not.

PS it was not a social night when you called in - it was a footy night as I was there and you also sent me a PM after wards explaining the ladies in toe. I say this just to clarify the situation. :)

If you don't like the pub just don't go and I don't need any further discussion re this thank you. :D I am now away for a beer and a smoke - Goodnight.

Edited by soundman
Fixed quote tags.

Four or five years ago, on a quiet afternoon a friend and I were sitting at the tap end of the bar of what was then called "CORLEONE'S"; now: "SOI-8".

One of the beer taps had a slow drip; about one drop every five seconds or so. As we sat there chatting away, a small mouse suddenly appeared, ran down to the dripping tap and sat square under it; mouth open and up. He caught a pretty good bellyful of drops then scurried away...a trifle unevenly.

I hope they never caught him.

If the Soi 8 Pub did create a real non-smoking area, they might regain me and others as customers. But of course, they're not interested in doing that... They're only interested in creating a haven for smokers.

The Pub has a non-smoking dining area and non-smoking bar that accomodates 60+ people. We are not "only interested in creating a haven for smokers" as you state. We simply offer people a choice. :)

just before having his beer at Soi 8 Pub :)

Lolitas sucks.