Soi 8 Pub

pmarlin

Today is my last day in Bangkok as I fly home in the morning but will be back 3 Nov however the last couple of times at the soi 8 pub I would order a Heniken Draft (pint) and it would be the real thing but the second one would be foul, like it had gone bad or maybe a different beer, This was at a table so I couldn't see what the bar tender was pouring. Today had lunch there and it happened again but this time I pointed it out and the refused to make it right. The beer even had a rooten smell to it. Has anyone else had this prblem in this pub? Of all the places I have gotten a draft beer in Bangkok this is the only one I found this problem. Because of the crappy way they responded to it today they lost me as a customer .

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is my last day in Bangkok as I fly home in the morning but will be back 3 Nov however the last couple of times at the soi 8 pub I would order a Heniken Draft (pint) and it would be the real thing but the second one would be foul, like it had gone bad or maybe a different beer, This was at a table so I couldn't see what the bar tender was pouring. Today had lunch there and it happened again but this time I pointed it out and the refused to make it right. The beer even had a rooten smell to it. Has anyone else had this prblem in this pub? Of all the places I have gotten a draft beer in Bangkok this is the only one I found this problem. Because of the crappy way they responded to it today they lost me as a customer .

Sounds like slops to me....Had this problem b4 in other bars in bkk

I have to say that this is pretty unusual for Soi 8, as Dave runs a good pub. Never had any major problems there, and Dave is normally very helpful.

I have to say that this is pretty unusual for Soi 8, as Dave runs a good pub. Never had any major problems there, and Dave is normally very helpful.

Not sure if it is anything to get wound up about. I have lost count at the times I have got a 'skunky' bottle of heineken over the years at various watering holes around the city.

becoming one of the best bars in BKK that one and 2 min walk. Have a beer and then order a scotch for your second drink and then back to beer . Third beer tastes better than the first IMO

I agree with Zorro :) Soi 8 is a very good bar so sorry to hear OP had a problem there.

As Soi 8 would appear to be a regular and popular watering hole for TV members perhaps we should try and get Dave to put aside/ poster up at one of the tables as an official TV table then TV members can introduce themselves to each other.

Just a thought, maybe Mr Toad or a Mod could arrange. :D

ps I have no commercial interest in Soi 8 - I just like it.

BT :D

Ok maybe it's me and I will give it another try when I get back, I really do like the food and this time I will sit at the bar to make sure it wasn't a waitress who may have gotten the order wrong.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry to hear your comments regarding the Heineken pint. If I am correct (and you are the only person I am aware of that has complained about the beer) I personally dealt with your complaint and gave you a replacement. I explained to you that the beer came from the same keg so I could not understand why there would be a difference in taste. I checked that the gas was at the required pressure and confirmed that the keg was not yet half empty. We did all we could to establish if there was a problem and replaced the pint. I fail to see how this was a "crappy way" to respond to your complaint. We always try to rectify any problems in an efficient and friendly manner. :)

Sorry to hear your comments regarding the Heineken pint. If I am correct (and you are the only person I am aware of that has complained about the beer) I personally dealt with your complaint and gave you a replacement. I explained to you that the beer came from the same keg so I could not understand why there would be a difference in taste. I checked that the gas was at the required pressure and confirmed that the keg was not yet half empty. We did all we could to establish if there was a problem and replaced the pint. I fail to see how this was a "crappy way" to respond to your complaint. We always try to rectify any problems in an efficient and friendly manner. :)

Even I have been to this place and agree the owner is a good guy and service has been good. The only thing I don't like is that he lets everyone smoke which is the reason I stopped going in there when it busy.

]

A good reply and looks as if the problem was handled very efficiently in IMHO :D as I thought it would be.

If you are in the "know" what about my thought re semi-official TV watering hole :D no discounts or anything just so TV members know that people at that table will generally be members of TV.

bt :D

Sounds like slops to me....Had this problem b4 in other bars in bkk

If the staff serves slops, would they gain the money if the beers are not run on a tab?

I do not claim that they do this in that place. More a question if it is a posibility.

Me and err in doors are involved in the bar game here and I can tell you we even use soi 8 bar ourselves for food and to get out of our places for while.

I am also a Master cellar keeper in the UK plus a member of C.A.M.R.A. in the UK so I think I know my beer well enough to comment.

One of the worst things about living in Thailand is the terrible beer to choose from. Bowl problem Singha, to Headache Heineken makes me a sad boy.

On the other hand soi 8 bar keeps an ok selection of drafts and one of them being the only draft beer I can say that I would choose to drink in Eurpre sometimes if noticed it, this being Warsteiner.

Please to the owner of this fine place on soi 8, do not take this the wrong way, I am helping here. The beer is kept well the service is good the issue from the start of this thread will only show with lite Pilseners as the problem is the way the staff clean the glasses. I can tell you that sometimes I get a beer and I think "nice one" other times I can taste strait away that the washing liquid you use has not been cleared out of the glasses well enough or where the glasses are cleaned there is a chemical present that is not totally washed out (it only takes a tiny tiny bit). This means lite Pilseners like Warsteiner and Headache Heineken taste old and flattish sometimes.

It's not your fault and it happens a lot in other places in fact more at other places (take my word for it). It is very small issue that takes 5 seconds of training to resolve.

Even after knowing this and it happening to me a few times I am still a regular at your place and keep going, keep up the good work mate.

Me and err in doors are involved in the bar game here and I can tell you we even use soi 8 bar ourselves for food and to get out of our places for while.

I am also a Master cellar keeper in the UK plus a member of C.A.M.R.A. in the UK so I think I know my beer well enough to comment.

One of the worst things about living in Thailand is the terrible beer to choose from. Bowl problem Singha, to Headache Heineken makes me a sad boy.

On the other hand soi 8 bar keeps an ok selection of drafts and one of them being the only draft beer I can say that I would choose to drink in Eurpre sometimes if noticed it, this being Warsteiner.

Please to the owner of this fine place on soi 8, do not take this the wrong way, I am helping here. The beer is kept well the service is good the issue from the start of this thread will only show with lite Pilseners as the problem is the way the staff clean the glasses. I can tell you that sometimes I get a beer and I think "nice one" other times I can taste strait away that the washing liquid you use has not been cleared out of the glasses well enough or where the glasses are cleaned there is a chemical present that is not totally washed out (it only takes a tiny tiny bit). This means lite Pilseners like Warsteiner and Headache Heineken taste old and flattish sometimes.

It's not your fault and it happens a lot in other places in fact more at other places (take my word for it). It is very small issue that takes 5 seconds of training to resolve.

Even after knowing this and it happening to me a few times I am still a regular at your place and keep going, keep up the good work mate.

Thanks for your kind comments and advise on the cleaning. We are mindful of the effect of detergents on the beer and will try to improve our training in this area.

Not being disrespectful to the OP, and his experience.

Ironically enough they gained one customer from this thread.

And that is me.

This based upon all the positive posts about the place in this thread.

Will go and have a beer there.

:)

Again, sorry for the OP and his experience there.

Looking forward to going for a beer at the soi 8 on Friday. In my opinion and many of my drinking pals it is without doubt the best run pub on the lower suk area. Many pub/bar owners could do well to follow the example. :)

Have to agree with you on that, it is an excellent pub which I have always enjoyed going to, that and The Crossbar to me are proper drinking pubs, with decent owners who make a point of getting to know their cutomers. Much better than the plastic pubs that pop up around town.

Looking forward to going for a beer at the soi 8 on Friday. In my opinion and many of my drinking pals it is without doubt the best run pub on the lower suk area. Many pub/bar owners could do well to follow the example. :)

Have to agree with you on that, it is an excellent pub which I have always enjoyed going to, that and The Crossbar to me are proper drinking pubs, with decent owners who make a point of getting to know their cutomers. Much better than the plastic pubs that pop up around town.

I also believe that Soi 8 is well worth frequenting, and when all's said and done, I think that Dave will be very pleased that the OP raised the complaint.

Without actually counting the score, it has to be about 12 to 1 in favour of Soi 8; best free advertising you could ever hope for.

"Even I have been to this place and agree the owner is a good guy and service has been good. The only thing I don't like is that he lets everyone smoke which is the reason I stopped going in there when it busy."

I have never been there since it was Soi 8 bar, however I used to go to the place when it first opened years back think it was a New York styled theme bar/restaurant and quite nice too, Scott and his band used to play in there.

If somebody can actually confirm the fact that smoking IS allowed in there then please confirm as I cannot stand going home with smoke stained clothes not too mention lungs....(sorry smokers)

Edited by beekaykay

"Even I have been to this place and agree the owner is a good guy and service has been good. The only thing I don't like is that he lets everyone smoke which is the reason I stopped going in there when it busy."

I have never been there since it was Soi 8 bar, however I used to go to the place when it first opened years back think it was a New York styled theme bar/restaurant and quite nice too, Scott and his band used to play in there.

If somebody can actually confirm the fact that smoking IS allowed in there then please confirm as I cannot stand going home with smoke stained clothes not too mention lungs....(sorry smokers)

I can confirm it :)

Just had the garlic pepper prawns. Real prawns to, remember paying $20 back home for this 130 bht dish . only one problem. Either lolitas or soi8 needs to be moved, so wrong and so right for them to be 11 meters apart :)

I think they compliment one another and add a certain ambience to the whole soi 8 scene. On one hand you have the exec types rushing home to their 3 bed condo at the end of the soi afterwork ducking in the back of the tuk tuk while passing the lane d lolitas, while on the other hand you get a mix of tailors, foodsellers, fake tattoo hawkers and massage girls, soi dogs who are all plying their trade via less jocular means.

I would also think the major concern for most suit and tie types is if they are seen entering soi d lolitas by collegues / people of influence and under it, thinking you were going the place opposite.

Someone said they were gonna install a red light cctv camera on the soi for future needs.

Edited by bkkjames

I can confirm it :)

Yes it is true, but they do have a Non Smoking area which is a sensible solution to your problem where you can eat in peace. You can also enjoy a drink with your friends in this area and your smoker friends are happy too as they simply move to the bar area when they require a smoke.

Everyone is therefore looked after. It is a good pub but don't take my word for it - TRY IT. :D

BT :D

Just had the garlic pepper prawns. Real prawns to, remember paying $20 back home for this 130 bht dish . only one problem. Either lolitas or soi8 needs to be moved, so wrong and so right for them to be 11 meters apart :)

I think they compliment one another and add a certain ambience to the whole soi 8 scene. On one hand you have the exec types rushing home to their 3 bed condo at the end of the soi afterwork ducking in the back of the tuk tuk while passing the lane d lolitas, while on the other hand you get a mix of tailors, foodsellers, fake tattoo hawkers and massage girls, soi dogs who are all plying their trade via less jocular means.

I would also think the major concern for most suit and tie types is if they are seen entering soi d lolitas by collegues / people of influence and under it, thinking you were going the place opposite.

Someone said they were gonna install a red light cctv camera on the soi for future needs.

Yes agree with you, A great people watching place, kind of street i could live in comfortably. Nice mixture of farang working class and Thai. Nice wide soi not many shops , no beggers ,and lots of little restaurants. a real little gem

Edited by zorro1

Not being disrespectful to the OP, and his experience.

Ironically enough they gained one customer from this thread.

And that is me.

This based upon all the positive posts about the place in this thread.

Will go and have a beer there.

:D

Again, sorry for the OP and his experience there.

Me too

I guess it is true what they say. All PR is good PR.

:)

I also believe that Soi 8 is well worth frequenting, and when all's said and done, I think that Dave will be very pleased that the OP raised the complaint.

Without actually counting the score, it has to be about 12 to 1 in favour of Soi 8; best free advertising you could ever hope for.

Mine is another vote in favour. Discovered the place through a previous thread. Thanks guys. :D