Where’s A Good Area For Jogging In Bangkok?

rylemano

Where’s a good area for jogging in Bangkok?

I’m soon moving to Bangkok and would like some recommendations from those experienced BKK expats.

Ideally, I’d like to step out of my apartment and go for a run. Besides the obvious Lumpini Park and its neighboring Sathon and Silom area, where would be good areas to run outdoors without spraining an ankle on those ravaged sidewalks?

Thanks,

I'd go with Chatuchak. Haven't seen any dogs in the three years I've been running there.

There are actually three parks in the area -- Rot Fai (Railway) and Queen Sirikit being the others -- and you can easily and safely cross from one to the other.

Great run if you string together all three. Decent running tracks and shaded all the way. The only problem is they allow bicycles in Rot Fai (they go in the opposite direction as the joggers -- or at least they're supposed to!) and on the weekends it gets crowded and very chaotic.

The park adjacent to Emporium shopping center is called Suan Benjasiri. It is smaller than Lumpini park but it has a running/ jogging path around the perimeter as well as other exercise facilities ( basketball, volleyball, takraw courts, sit-up benches , pull up bars etc..)

It is well maintained and pleasant place to escape the concrete jungle for a while.

I know the other posters mean well but simply reeling off park names is not so useful. I am sure he has browsed a map of Bangkok and seen the green patches. So what else is there...?

Well, he hasn't said where he lives.

But here are two suggestions:

1. Run back and forth across Rama VIII bridge. This is a very popular thing among Thais. The ground is smooth, no dogs and the river breeze is refreshing.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=bangkok&am...mp;t=h&z=16

2. Go to a University running track or pseudo running track and jog there:

e.g. Thammasat's Tha Prachan

http://maps.google.co.th/maps?q=bangkok&am...mp;t=h&z=17

Enjoy your run.

There are a few places around to jog as long as you don't mind getting a lung full of BKK polluted air.

But, more importantly, don't start jogging down Silom or Sukhumvit Roads with your shirt off posing like a mucho-man di*khead westener in the hope everyone can see how cool you are......vomit!

Edited by barky

The park Insight mentions it's called Suan Luang, I used to go jogging there when I lived in Udomsuk road. It's very good for that, big, not too many people and the air is much more clean than in the other parks mentioned so far. It's also very pretty with different landscapes so it doesn't get boring.

Edited by AleG

Take a taxi down Rama IV to Wat Khlong Toey Nok at The Port (maybe 20 minutes in traffic), grab a boat across for THB 10, disembark, start running. That's the best running that's remotely close to being in town. Banana plantations, khlong paths, wats, friendly people, etc. There's even a park if you want to run in a park. There's also some decent green running along Khlong Prakanong coming from On Nut and in various scattered places. The best is up in Nonthaburi, though that's quite far from Silom. As for municipal parks, yeah, those have been mentioned.