Change In 90 Day Reporting Procedure

Does anyone know about a change in the law affecting the 90 day reporting requirement which apparently came into effect on 7th September? I've just tried to give the usual notification well within time at the local office here in Songkhla but have been told I must now report to Hatyai as a result of a change in the law. This could be something local or it may be symptomatic of a general tightening up on 90 days notification.

There has been an aanounce ment about a half year ago that people now can only use their own immigration office, including for doing 90 day reporting. You can no longer just use any office, but only the one you are living in.

If your regional office has changed, the areas might have canged. but we didn't see any announcement of that.

Does anyone know about a change in the law affecting the 90 day reporting requirement which apparently came into effect on 7th September? I've just tried to give the usual notification well within time at the local office here in Songkhla but have been told I must now report to Hatyai as a result of a change in the law. This could be something local or it may be symptomatic of a general tightening up on 90 days notification.

You now have to report to the Imm' office which oversees your Thai address.

I reported to Mukdahan Imm' last Friday, no problem in and out in 10 minutes as usual.

dumb question, but can't you just make up an address that suits your nearest office?

Not that easy anymore. Now when you report, you have to have with you, and present to them, a paid receipt, ("bin") from either the electric co., the phone co., the cable co., or the water co., or a receipt for your rent from your landlord, or SOMETHING to prove your residence. If you're legitimate, that should be no problem, and a hotel won't work, unless you have a long term lease, and can prove it.

My three last reports, in Jomtien, I took the latest paid phone bill and the filled out form, and my passport, and was out in less than five minutes.

It's so easy, even Farangs can do it......!

Because it is entered into a computer data base and the change will be noted and likely matched with reported extension of stay address at some point and your next extension of stay will be expected at the new location. For those married it just might be the end of there extensions of stay if they report an address other than there spouse location.

Yes, I know it's just the way it is, but when a person has a one year visa, this 90 day report stuff is simply rediculous and smacks of big boss Thai man lording it over those untrustworthy aliens. At best the policy is overbearing, and at worst it's xenophobic.

Yes, I know it's just the way it is, but when a person has a one year visa, this 90 day report stuff is simply rediculous and smacks of big boss Thai man lording it over those untrustworthy aliens. At best the policy is overbearing, and at worst it's xenophobic.
I don't know why you feel that way. In my home country, and probably in MOST countries, you have to report your address, and ANY change of address, on a regular basis.

There's lots of reasonable reasons for that, on of them being. If they had to get in touch with you in case of an emergency, how would they find you ? Or if you lost your passport, and it was turned in to the embassy, or the police.....how would they locate you ? Maybe you don't worry about that, but THEY do.

I don't find it too inconvenient, even though it's a fifteen minute drive to Immigration, but there's no charge, and they have treated me really nice on every visit. I've renewed my yearly visa three times now, and I don't even mind that. They're very polite, and accommodating, and it only cost 1900 baht, or about $60 American, just about what it cost me to fill my gas tank at home.

I admit, there are a few strange customs over here that are very different than I'm used to at "home", but the GOOD outweighs the BAD by so much that I just ignore the "bad" and enjoy the "good". And there's plenty of "GOOD" to enjoy.

Cheers, and I hope you stay here a long time, and enjoy every minute of it. ErnieK :)

"this 90 day report stuff is simply rediculous and smacks of big boss Thai man lording it over those untrustworthy aliens. At best the policy is overbearing, and at worst it's xenophobic."

Your post reads as though you consider yourself a victim, and you spend your time cataloging every hurt, slight, and comment. It's not a great way to waste your life.

I think you meant to say one year extension of stay. Most immigration offices will accept notification by post, so really is not such a big deal.

I don't know why you feel that way. In my home country, and probably in MOST countries, you have to report your address, and ANY change of address, on a regular basis.

There's lots of reasonable reasons for that, on of them being. If they had to get in touch with you in case of an emergency, how would they find you ? Or if you lost your passport, and it was turned in to the embassy, or the police.....how would they locate you ? Maybe you don't worry about that, but THEY do.

I don't find it too inconvenient, even though it's a fifteen minute drive to Immigration, but there's no charge, and they have treated me really nice on every visit. I've renewed my yearly visa three times now, and I don't even mind that. They're very polite, and accommodating, and it only cost 1900 baht, or about $60 American, just about what it cost me to fill my gas tank at home.

I admit, there are a few strange customs over here that are very different than I'm used to at "home", but the GOOD outweighs the BAD by so much that I just ignore the "bad" and enjoy the "good". And there's plenty of "GOOD" to enjoy.

Cheers, and I hope you stay here a long time, and enjoy every minute of it. ErnieK :)

And would you still be so happy to drive not 15 minutes but 3 hours, thats right 3 hours to do a 90 day report. And then 3 hours to get home possibly on the same day but the next day if they need to keep your documents overnight?

It has been reported that our local office in Kap Choeng is being closed as of October 1 and we now need to travel to Korat to do the 90 day reporting which to say the least is very inconvenient and costly. Very happy for you and others if your local office is close by but there are others around this beautiful country that are not so fortunate.

Our only hope is that eventually they accept 90 day reports by post which would be great. This change affects many farang in this area.

Previously we travelled to Chong chom which is 70 minutes by bus one way which was not so bad but this latest change is annoying but as previously noted necessary to keep a check on the inmates, sorry I mean foreigners.

"Now when you report, you have to have with you, and present to them, a paid receipt, ("bin") from either the electric co., the phone co., the cable co., or the water co., or a receipt for your rent from your landlord, or SOMETHING to prove your residence."

Not every imm office requires that, especially when mailing in your notification.

And would you still be so happy to drive not 15 minutes but 3 hours, thats right 3 hours to do a 90 day report. And then 3 hours to get home possibly on the same day but the next day if they need to keep your documents overnight?

It has been reported that our local office in Kap Choeng is being closed as of October 1 and we now need to travel to Korat to do the 90 day reporting which to say the least is very inconvenient and costly. Very happy for you and others if your local office is close by but there are others around this beautiful country that are not so fortunate.

Our only hope is that eventually they accept 90 day reports by post which would be great. This change affects many farang in this area.

Previously we travelled to Chong chom which is 70 minutes by bus one way which was not so bad but this latest change is annoying but as previously noted necessary to keep a check on the inmates, sorry I mean foreigners.

I'm one of those that will now have to go to Korat for his 'extention of stay', plus do the 90 day report. Korat currently allows TM47 reporting by post, whereas Kap Cheong didn't/doesn't. Has anyone been inform, or knows, if Korat will cease the report by post in line with the Kap Cheong office amalgamating with them as of 1st October ?

Precisement mon ami as Hercule Poirot might put it but how long can y Thai mrs stay in your realm

They used to do this in Austria where you were supposed to report aliens who stayed in your house overnight

If you are legitimate and obey the rules you'll have little problem

Its all going on line be ready for GS3 Big bang or 100 anniversary of Airport metro :)

To cheers for immigration all together now :D:D

Cheers, and I hope you stay here a long time, and enjoy every minute of it. ErnieK :D

In my home country,and probably in MOST countries,you have to report your address(the first time your parents normally do it for you)and any subsequent change of address.

You can live all your life at the same address (many Thais do)without the need to reporting.It's my opinion that after living 10 years or more at the same house,finding you,if necessary, is not rocket-science.Understood? :)

I have to get up early to take the boat over to Samui to do my 90 day reporting. It usually ends up being at least half a day for me. What with boat trips, taxi rides etc. I figure hey, it gets me off the island, get a bit of shopping in. Make a day of it.

I've never had to show any evidence of an address tho.

I have to get up early to take the boat over to Samui to do my 90 day reporting. It usually ends up being at least half a day for me. What with boat trips, taxi rides etc. I figure hey, it gets me off the island, get a bit of shopping in. Make a day of it.

Just in case the OP does not know this, the rule also applies to re-entry permits. It is apparently too logical and convenient to allow people to get a re-entry permit at the international airport (except in an emergency.......however they define that).

Would have been nice to meet you in Kap Choeng in the middle of nowhere after 2 1/2 hours drive. After 10 minutes the same way back. Make a day of it please !

Edited by JanAndersLarsson

Not that easy anymore. Now when you report, you have to have with you, and present to them, a paid receipt, ("bin") from either the electric co., the phone co., the cable co., or the water co., or a receipt for your rent from your landlord, or SOMETHING to prove your residence

<snip>

I didn't do that last week and had no problems.

They didn't even use the form I diligently filled in - just stamped the old one with a new report date.

Would have been nice to meet you in Kap Choeng in the middle of nowhere after 2 1/2 hours drive. After 10 minutes the same way back. Make a day of it please !

??????????? :)

• 3 weeks later...