Pattaya - The Truth

Pie Boy

'Boring'? Moi? Ouch.

So I just turned to my tgf and asked her:

"is Pattaya a good place for a farang to bring his children?".

TGF: "no."

-

But before my case I rest, here ya go.

Politically, I'm all for very liberal values/governance and find much brilliance e.g. in the arguments of Nozick & Hoppe but *only* as far as adulthood is concerned. That's because I've seen firsthand what the potential adult effects of very liberal parenting can be.

One of the most liberally parented of my peer group had developed in his maturity(...last time I heard of him) an addiction which is helping the Afghani GDP along. But when a young teenager, his parents undoubtedly considered themselves 'cool' in taking him on holiday to the RLD's, allowing him to smoke at home etc. Well, ok - who knows if his parenting had any role in his later addiction, but is it not better to 'err on the side of caution' by avoiding taking children to such a blatantly adult oriented town in the orient, when there are so many great places in this world to visit? Yes, Blackpool's crap. And ditto the few notorious places in Greece where too many lager louts are to be found in their droves; but it's not, however, too difficult to find the real Greece which is most charming in many ways. Nor is it so difficult to find the real Thailand :D , if the poster really must bring children across the world to here.

For the record, I consider Pattaya to be an excellent place for a lonely single male traveler to find himself. But it's arguably a very questionable destination for almost everyone else... Also, I'd like to think :o that few would disagree with this statement: Pattaya has more than its fair share of the barrel's bottom. And this is not stated in offence to anyone in particular on this forum who lives there.

Besides, just last year an American model's letter was published in The Nation stating how disgusted she was to see so many fat old lecherous men walking around Pattaya with Thai teenagers. Being familiar with Pattaya, I (& perhaps most of you on this forum!) wasn't so surprised at all with her findings and frankly would've thought that such a sight was just 'par for the course' in Pattaya; however, if she'd only done a little homework before going, her sensibilities wouldn't have been so offended. And she'd have stayed well clear. Oh well - more fool her!

The original poster, for his part, was at least clever enough to post this question as to a sometimes controversial destination for adults (never mind children!) while seeking a genuine consensus and is to be congratulated on his wisdom in doing so. I am simply restating the 'nay' side of the consensus so that the poster can make his own mind up after reading all opinions.

So at the end of the day, & whatever disagreements among us - as posters, they're your kids, it's their childhood, it's your decision.

HTH. :D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your tgf I take it speaks from experience of time spent in Pattaya!
One of the most liberally parented of my peer group had developed in his maturity(...last time I heard of him) an addiction which is helping the Afghani GDP along. But when a young teenager, his parents undoubtedly considered themselves 'cool' in taking him on holiday to the RLD's, allowing him to smoke at home etc. Well, ok - who knows if his parenting had any role in his later addiction, but is it not better to 'err on the side of caution' by avoiding taking children to such a blatantly adult oriented town in the orient, when there are so many great places in this world to visit?

This might suprise you, there are drug addicts in the UK that have never had an holiday. Should we blame the parents ? Like i said, took both mine for 10 years, both at Uni now.

Ah, might you cheekily try and play that ol' 'bifurcation fallacy'? :D :

(syllogism 1) if she's spent any time in Pattaya ergo she could only be a low life bargirl.

(syllogism 2) If she's not spent any time in Pattaya then she's totally unqualified to give any opinion.

Your (fallacious) conclusion/insinuation - her opinion has to be completely worthless.

However, proponents of this fallacy tend to feel a shy when the argument's premise (or insinuation as above) is shifted to something which is ordinarily beyond doubt e.g. "well has Stephen Hawking ever actually been inside a black hole?" etc. etc.

Nice try though :o

This might suprise you, there are drug addicts in the UK that have never had an holiday. Should we blame the parents ? Like i said, took both mine for 10 years, both at Uni now.

As stated, who knows? Is there an answer to this question? In individual cases, perhaps - but as a general rule?

Sorry, but 'erring on the side of caution' as regards children is all I've got.

But it's good to know that yours grew up also to be respectable citizens. :D

Ah, might you cheekily try and play that ol' 'bifurcation fallacy'?  :
. Not at all. If i can reply and give information from experience then so can anyone else whom is experienced enough do the same.
(syllogism 1) if she's spent any time in Pattaya ergo she could only be a low life bargirl.

Well you said it ! Perhaps your inexperience of Pattaya leads you to make that outrageous conclusion (unless of course your tgf told you) In which case i would have to conceed to her first hand knowledge.

However, proponents of this fallacy tend to feel a shy when the argument's premise (or insinuation as above) is shifted to something which is ordinarily beyond doubt e.g. "well has Stephen Hawking ever actually been inside a black hole?" etc. etc.

I know nothing of Stepen Hawkings sexual preferences. :o

Ah, might you cheekily try and play that ol' 'bifurcation fallacy'? :D :

(syllogism 2) If she's not spent any time in Pattaya then she's totally unqualified to give any opinion.

Your (fallacious) conclusion/insinuation - her opinion has to be completely worthless.

Nice try though :o

As stated, who knows? Is there an answer to this question? In individual cases, perhaps - but as a general rule?

Sorry, but 'erring on the side of caution' as regards children is all I've got.

But it's good to know that yours grew up also to be respectable citizens. :D

I must say Serendipitst that your comments with regard to whether PieBoy should bring some adults and children presumably for a holiday to Pattaya do not contain in my opinion any material facts which would show that a Pattaya holiday could adversely affect the children.

You seem to base your opinion mainly on what happened to a peer of yours in a completely different situation, and some model and not on any experiences from Pattaya itself.

One would assume that the children will be supervised by adults as they would be wherever a family holiday was taken.

Infact you say that you wouldn`t take children to Thailand let alone Pattaya. Surely you are not using moral grounds as your argument with reference to the whole of Thailand are you?

I don`t personally give a hoot whether you met your Thai Girlfriend in Bangkok where you seem to stay or Pattaya, but I don`t believe that either of you have experienced the good hotels and ammenities which Pattaya has to offer both to children and to adults alike.

If you had you would see hundreds of kids having a great time and wanting to return for a further holiday.

If everyone took your narrow view of an oriental destination then there would by thousands upon thousands of children who would have missed out on a great Pattaya holiday.. :D

There are also a lot of Ladies who live and work in Pattaya who would never be seen dead in a bar, my wife is one.

I asked her if Pattaya is a good place to bring kids, she pointed out that she has quite a few customers that return to Pattaya every year, year after year, the whole family, kids and all.

Not everything that happens in Pattatya, happens in a beer bar or go-go.

Seatramp - despite our jibes, I'll give you this - your Hawking comment was a beauty :D:D

Pattaya Fox - Thanks. But it would have taken you less time just to write:

"Serendipitist - I think your rhetoric, facts, tgf, opinions & your arguments' construction suck. Luv PF"

TizMe - point taken :o

There are also a lot of Ladies who live and work in Pattaya who would never be seen dead in a bar, my wife is one.

I asked her if Pattaya is a good place to bring kids, she pointed out that she has quite a few customers that return to Pattaya every year, year after year, the whole family, kids and all.

Not everything that happens in Pattatya, happens in a beer bar or go-go.

Quite right. In the topic "Pattaya by day" various members listed about 25 different things to do by day, including zoos/farms, go-karts, beaches and so on.

Pie-Boy didn't seem too thrilled at the choices listed though, so I'm not sure what he expects to do with his family if he does bring them here.

In July of this year I intend to bring some of my family to LOS, this will probably be four adults and six kids.I have never been to Pattaya and reading some of the Pattaya related post on TV doesn't make for great PR, however having spoken to people who have visited Pattaya they tell me It's great place.

Is it the place to come with kids? OK  people tell me what a great little place you have there.

Pie Boy: Was in Pattaya a couple of months ago with my wife and 12 year old daughter. Apart from spending quite a lot of time in the hotel pool my 12 year old had lots of activities to keep her happy eg. tiger farm, dolphins, go karting, plus lots more. We did go down Walking St a few times but she saw nothing that shocked her. In fact I think the worst she saw were a few bar girls advertising their bar in silver hotpants. Seen worse in Edinburgh City Centre. My advice (for what it's worth) take the kids and have a great time.

It can be done but it does take a bit of planning.

Stay in Jomtien and come in and out of town by the back door, ie sukumwhit rd so as to bypass the naughty bits. Plenty of attractions for kids and family that can be reached without going near the nightlife areas.

You might also send the wife and kids off shopping to Tesco-Lotus up behind Jomtien. They would love to pass an afternoon there while you lounge by the pool with a good book.

Once they are out of sight you can then sneak off for an afternoon ST at the Blind Beggar in Jomtien. Just in case the thought crossed your mind.

In July of this year I intend to bring some of my family to LOS, this will probably be four adults and six kids.I have never been to Pattaya and reading some of the Pattaya related post on TV doesn't make for great PR, however having spoken to people who have visited Pattaya they tell me It's great place.

Is it the place to come with kids? OK  people tell me what a great little place you have there.

Pattaya is a great place and I am sure people of all ages would be kept amused here, however to me it does not have the feel of a holiday resort, more a big frenetic city, it feels bigger than it is. Jomtien definitely has more of the holiday resort feeling and the ladies side is much less noticable, though still not hard to observe on the main drag.

I know kids have to be educated and experience life as it is but personally if I had a young daughter I think I would prefer not to have to answer questions like:'Why do those girls sit in rows on chairs outside those Kareoke bars?' or 'Why do Thai girls walk around holding the hands of those English old age pensioners?' just two of the questions I would imagine would cross a growing girls mind, even if not expressed directly probably due to embarassment.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I doubt it (don't we all!!)

Once they are out of sight you can then sneak off for an afternoon ST at the Blind Beggar in Jomtien.

If you can manage to navigate the goat track.

Are they still doing roadworks there?

That's been going on for over 3 months now. :D

The Blind Beggar aka Winchester aka Rifle Club aka Gunny... etc used to be a great place for an afternoon "snack"! :o

Just pop out the "food" door and nip upstairs... :D

I wish I could say something more encouraging to you, but the last poster is dead on. You asked for the simple truth about Pattaya and that's it.

Depending on the age of the kids you're bringing there's quite a lot for them to do....go-karting, Pattayapark water world, (http://www.pattayapark.com/) and various other things. There are beaches but not Pattaya beach itself. There are zoos and an aquarium and the tropical Nong Nooch gardens and One Million year old Stone Park - (Crocodiles and Tigers)

Food is delicious, plentiful and cheap; it ranges from Som Tam Thai to McDonalds and KFC.

Accommodation is cheap too... the "Cabbages and Condoms" resort (http://www.cabbagesandcondoms.co.th/) has beautiful bungalows for larger groups - don't be put off by the name - it's a charity for the poor in Thailand's agricultural Regions. There are easily accessible islandswith fine beaches (20 to 45 min by boat). About 5 to 10 km along the coast are 4 or 5 self contained resorts…Surf, Sun sea and Sand, Sunsets 1 and 2 etc.

There are golf courses and yacht and dingy sailing as well as other water sports and all reasonably priced. Most resorts have swimming pools and gyms.

Pubs and cafes show Sports on big screen TV especially soccer. There is good shopping in Pattaya; toys are available in most malls and shopping centres. Films, DVDS and CDs are plentiful cheap and copies!

It is fair to say that much of the entertainment in Pattaya is second rate but non-the-less quite cheap and cheerful.

As for the seamier side of life…what do you think the effect will be on your children when they find out that most of the 20 odd thousand bar-girls working here are really quite pleasant, polite human-beings who treat children incredibly well and with great respect? Most of them have children of their own. To see nudity etc they would have to go into one of the closed in go-go bars, where the acts are not visible from the street.

One place I would recommend you take them is the Malibu bar on 2nd Road; they have a variety of girls and lady men miming to well known pop tunes. The star turn is the Tina Turner impersonator who unlike the rest of the show is totally brilliant (you’ll howl at Elvis!). The kids can have a great time guessing who’s a lady and who’s a man. The show is free and starts at about 8pm.

Lots of people bring kids to Pattaya, and many Westerners who live here have children here. They clearly do not think that this place is unsuitable for kids.

Bible –bashers and others of a puritanical/fanatical disposition will love it too as they can do what they do best – get up on their high horses and be really upset, miserable and anal – good luck to them too!

Edited by wilko

Took my wife & daughters for more than 10 years, they loved it. Education in life for the kids. I would advice staying in a good hotel though, Imarai,Dusit, maybe. This at least save the kids from having to witness the tee ruks or gay boys slavering over their partners in the pool.  :o

Time spent dining out at night in nice restaurants, and places like the Moon River pub, or watching harmless shows at the Malibu bar is pure unadulterated enjoyment.

My opinion, and based on the fact that i have done it for several years with kids. No problem, do it.

HEAR! HEAR! - Lets hear it for the Elephants too!

I wish I could say something more encouraging to you, but the last poster is dead on. You asked for the simple truth about Pattaya and that's it.

Bible –bashers and others of a puritanical/fanatical disposition will love it too as they can do what they do best – get up on their high horses and be really upset, miserable and anal – good luck to them too!

Well I suppose it all depends what you want to expose your children to, if you think there is merit in your children being patronised by prostitutes who strive to get in 4 or 5 short times a day etc as normal behaviour, and befriend such people, who knows what the interaction might produce in their idea of proper behaviour, as related to your aspirations for them.

The arch over the road on the way out of Jomtien has the words 'The Extreme City' in gold mounted on it. This is the words of one presumes Pattaya Council. You can make what you want of that, (it is true that it is rumoured that this might be replaced but you can be sure that this is only for commercial considerations to lure the less suspecting family group and its $$s to Pattaya).

In fact it is hard to believe that anyone who is recommending Pattaya as a family destination does not share in some way in the potential financial benefit of attracting the 'family dollar' and its associated propaganda.

And forget the "Bible basher, puritanical/ fanatical' red herring, this is purely a thread on the merits of exposing children to 'The Extreme City", I would guess that most parents are a little more on the puritanical side when it comes to exposing their children to that sort of experience!

And forget the "Bible basher, puritanical/ fanatical' red herring, this is purely a thread on the merits of exposing children to 'The Extreme City", I would guess that most parents are a little more on the puritanical side when it comes to exposing their children to that sort of experience!

What <deleted>, nobody is saying to take your 10 year old into a go-go bar. What exactly would they be exposing the kids to. All the kids will remember is "the flashing lights, the load music and a city that is alive and generally happy and friendly."

When my daughter was about 10 years old, we walked through the red light district of Amsterdam where the sex is much more in your face than Pattaya. She remembers "the flashing lights, the load music and a city that is alive and generally happy and friendly."

Well I suppose it all depends what you want to expose your children to, if you think there is merit in your children being patronised by prostitutes who strive to get in 4 or 5 short times a day etc as normal behaviour, and befriend such people, who knows what the interaction might produce in their idea of proper behaviour, as related to your aspirations for them.

The arch over the road on the way out of Jomtien has the words 'The Extreme City' in gold mounted on it.  This is the words of one presumes Pattaya Council. You can make what you want of that, (it is true that it is rumoured that this might be replaced but you can be sure that this is  only for commercial considerations to lure the less suspecting family group and its $$s to Pattaya).

In fact it is hard to believe that anyone who is recommending Pattaya as a family destination does not share in some way in the potential  financial benefit of attracting the 'family dollar' and its associated propaganda.

Well I guess you would be surprised to learn that hundreds of thousands of Thais and their families and thousands of expat and their families live and work in Pattaya area and have nothing to do with the sex industry that you seem to thing permeates the entire area. It is not difficult to visit or live in the area and not "expose" your children to the "extreme" city

TH

Well I guess you would be surprised to learn that hundreds of thousands of Thais and their families and thousands of expat and their families live and work in Pattaya area and have nothing to do with the sex industry that you seem to thing permeates the entire area. It is not difficult to visit or live in the area and not "expose" your children to the "extreme" city

TH

Thai people know and obviously accept that the sex industry is today and historically part of their culture at many levels and would not therefore consider it as an unusual phenonomon.

As for the expats 'Up to them' !

Disneyland for adult males thats for sure. :o

TH

Thai people know and obviously accept that the sex industry is today and historically part of their culture at many levels and would not therefore consider it as an unusual phenonomon.

As for the expats 'Up to them' !

As for the seamier side of life…what do you think the effect will be on your children when they find out that most of the 20 odd thousand bar-girls working here are really quite pleasant, polite human-beings who treat children incredibly well and with great respect?

Yeah great, leave them with their grannies on the farm whilst they enjoy and whore themselves :o

Great mother's :D for sure good examples for your daughter's :D

Edited by Terminator

There's plenty to do for the whole family in Pattaya, beaches, Nong Nooch Gardens, a Water Park, para-sailing, jet-sking, coffee shops, ice cream shops, a great shopping mall, ... all the higher-end hotels have great pools and services, ..

Heck, even Walking Street has weekend food fare booths to sample many different Thai foods all in one area.

Just because there's a bar or two :o:D you don't need to go in them,

Everyone's going to have a great time where ever you decide to go.

There's plenty to do for the whole family in Pattaya, beaches, Nong Nooch Gardens, a Water Park, para-sailing, jet-sking, coffee shops, ice cream shops, a great shopping mall, ... all the higher-end hotels have great pools and services, ..

Heck, even Walking Street has weekend food fare booths to sample many different Thai foods all in one area.

Just because there's a bar or two  :o  :D  you don't need to go in them,

Best thing said yet !

Bunch of puritanical old women on this forum.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well its really down to what you want to show your kids.

Hey Dad why are there no young men on the street ,here but lots of young women?

Hey Dad this beach is ok but what are those old men doing to those young thai boys?

Cossett them in a nice resort with pool .....maybe,do the tourist stuff that wld maybe take three days?

And of course find a way to blow them off later so you can go and party.

Just because there's a bar or two  :o   :D   you don't need to go in them,

Best thing said yet !

Bunch of puritanical old women on this forum.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

As for the seamier side of life…what do you think the effect will be on your children when they find out that most of the 20 odd thousand bar-girls working here are really quite pleasant, polite human-beings who treat children incredibly well and with great respect?

Yeah great, leave them with their grannies on the farm whilst they enjoy and whore themselves :o

Great mother's :D  for sure good examples for your daughter's :D

Don't start again terminator :D

or you will be assimilated into oblivion again :D

Depending on the age of the kids you're bringing there's quite a lot for them to do....go-karting, Pattayapark water world, (http://www.pattayapark.com/) and various other things. There are beaches but not Pattaya beach itself. There are zoos and an aquarium and the tropical Nong Nooch gardens and One Million year old Stone Park - (Crocodiles and Tigers)

Food is delicious, plentiful and cheap; it ranges from Som Tam Thai to McDonalds and KFC.

Accommodation is cheap too... the "Cabbages and Condoms" resort (http://www.cabbagesandcondoms.co.th/) has beautiful bungalows for larger groups - don't be put off by the name - it's a charity for the poor in Thailand's agricultural Regions. There are easily accessible islandswith fine beaches (20 to 45 min by boat). About 5 to 10 km along the coast are 4 or 5 self contained resorts…Surf, Sun sea and Sand, Sunsets 1 and 2 etc.

There are golf courses and yacht and dingy sailing as well as other water sports and all reasonably priced. Most resorts have swimming pools and gyms.

Pubs and cafes show Sports on big screen TV especially soccer. There is good shopping in Pattaya; toys are available in most malls and shopping centres. Films, DVDS and CDs are plentiful cheap and copies!

It is fair to say that much of the entertainment in Pattaya is second rate but non-the-less quite cheap and cheerful.

As for the seamier side of life…what do you think the effect will be on your children when they find out that most of the 20 odd thousand bar-girls working here are really quite pleasant, polite human-beings who treat children incredibly well and with great respect? Most of them have children of their own. To see nudity etc they would have to go into one of the closed in go-go bars, where the acts are not visible from the street.

One place I would recommend you take them is the Malibu bar on 2nd Road; they have a variety of girls and lady men miming to well known pop tunes. The star turn is the Tina Turner impersonator who unlike the rest of the show is totally brilliant (you’ll howl at Elvis!). The kids can have a great time guessing who’s a lady and who’s a man. The show is free and starts at about 8pm.

Lots of people bring kids to Pattaya, and many Westerners who live here have children here. They clearly do not think that this place is unsuitable for kids.

Wilko, I dont think it could be summed up any better than that. Well done.