Cm Can Have Another Used Bookstore?

supergoondu

Just wondering if there is a sufficient market in CM for another English used book store? I have spent close to a month here in CM, however frankly speaking, I have not come across many Farangs in Chang Puak, Central Kad Suan Keow, and even Tai Pae Gate ..., perhaps now not the peak season yet. Those bookstores in Central Kad Suan Keow have few or rather carry no English titles. Perhaps I didn't travel far enough from my apartment.

Just wondering where would be the best location to setup an English used book rental store where there is a large catchment of the Farangs here? Or rather it was not a good idea to setup that store? And anyone knows how many English speaking Farangs here in CM?

Are there Borders, Kinokuniya or Barnes & Noble store here in CM? And where do the Farangs here quench their thirst for English titles? Perhaps they have already mastered Thai and now reading Thai references.

Hope to have some honest answer from all.

thanks

PS: Or it may be better to setup in Chiang Rai instead?

There are stacks of good used book shops here and the biggest chain (and best in my opinion) is Gecko, who you will see advertises here on TV.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't set up a book store, as a consumer I'm happy to have as many as possible, so if you do - then do your homework and good luck . :)

Are you serious? There are probably more English bookstores per (English reading) capita here than anywhere in southeast asia. Try Chiang Rai, Pai, Koh Chang, Chang Kong - in fact almost anywhere else. It's the last thing we need except maybe another burger joint. :)

Hooray!!!! more book stores yes thats what we need fantastic! check your oppositions prices work out your shop so its nice and cheap as people in chiangmai are not stupid and your be fine!

i cant wait :D:):D

If you do decide to open, don't forget a few books on "Basic English for Pre-Schooler's" :D:D

if your doze opin wun here, am sure yorz will be happe for a while

Edited by Gonzo the Face

HI

an 'inside' bookshop would be a great idea at Central Kad Suan Keow maybe

as there are a lot of smallish units vacant.

The problem with the bookshops that are open to the elements

is that the combination of heat, damp, and length of time on the shelves

compromises the integrity of the binding. I've had quite a few books

from these places which have had pages come loose from the glue not sticking anymore.

So a nice aircon shop with a coffee shop as well (Not many of those at K S K either)

might be a goer.

David

Just wondering if there is a sufficient market in CM for another English used book store? I have spent close to a month here in CM, however frankly speaking, I have not come across many Farangs in Chang Puak, Central Kad Suan Keow, and even Tai Pae Gate Those bookstores in Central Kad Suan Keow have few or rather carry no English titles. Perhaps I didn't travel far enough from my apartment.

Are there Borders, Kinokuniya or Barnes & Noble store here in CM? And where do the Farangs here quench their thirst for English titles? Perhaps they have already mastered Thai and now reading Thai references.

I agree with Greenside, another bookstore in Chiang Mai would be as welcome as a poke in the eye, or maybe another Mosque. Why do you mention Kad Suan Kaew where, as far as I know, there are no bookstores catering for farangs and not mention the large stores at Thapae Gate where there's at least four and they seem to satisfy what demand there is, with slight reservations. And then there's Amazon and the AUA library to help out.

No, there's no Borders,Barnes and Noble, Foyles or Waterstones here ,probably for very good reasons. I wonder what UG will say when he's back in circulation.

Just wondering if there is a sufficient market in CM for another English used book store? I have spent close to a month here in CM, however frankly speaking, I have not come across many Farangs in Chang Puak, Central Kad Suan Keow, and even Tai Pae Gate Those bookstores in Central Kad Suan Keow have few or rather carry no English titles. Perhaps I didn't travel far enough from my apartment.

I agree with Greenside, another bookstore in Chiang Mai would be as welcome as a poke in the eye, or maybe another Mosque. Why do you mention Kad Suan Kaew where, as far as I know, there are no bookstores catering for farangs and not mention the large stores at Thapae Gate where there's at least four and they seem to satisfy what demand there is, with slight reservations. And then there's Amazon and the AUA library to help out.

No, there's no Borders,Barnes and Noble, Foyles or Waterstones here ,probably for very good reasons. I wonder what UG will say when he's back in circulation.

Let's not allow Islamophobia to stain this interesting topic.

People that are objecting to another bookshop, what actually is your problem?

I can understand telling the OP objectively what you feel are his chances of success and why/why not?

But the collective 'we' or 'Chiangmai' already has enough, is just subjective and not much help.

What does it matter what kind of shop a person opens, you're not forced to go in are you?

It's not as if bookshops are a blot on the cultural wonder that is Chiangmai's streets, which already have been taken over with coffee shops, burger joints, massage parlours and no hope bars.

The OP just needs to do a bit of research for himself, which I presume he would do anyway if serious and if he thinks he can make a go or offer an alternative type of bookshop then good luck to him. :)

My honest opinion is that I own the only used bookstores that are actually making a profit right now. I have to work for a living and can't run to an overseas bank account to help pay the rent every month and do not really understand why anyone would want to.

As far as competition keeping prices low, in the used book business that is not always true. Good stores need to buy a lot of stock from customers and whoever pays most for books usually ends up with them, but the price is passed on to the customer. In fact, the price for premium books is probably much higher than if so many places were not bidding on them.

A lot of used book stores in CM have closed over the last few years and a lot more don't make any money. If someone else wants to lose money and pretend to be running a "business", at least you will have plenty of company in Chiang Mai.

On the other hand, why don't you try to think of something to sell that is actually needed? :)

On the other hand, why don't you try to think of something to sell that is actually needed?

There's nowhere to buy classical music CD's but I doubt you could make a profit from selling those to the interested few. There are very few even in London. I wonder why the bookstores don't stock a varied selection, and I don't mean the sort of rubbish that Robinson's stock."Masters of Classical Music", "The Mozart Effect:"The Best of Johann Stauss, Bach, Beethoven" etc., etc. I'm talking of serious stuff.

I would be afraid to get into any trade with so many pirated editions.

When Tower Records came to Bangkok with all kinds of wonderful and unusual music that could not be found here before, illegal copies were made and could be found in Kao San Road for less than 100 baht each . DVDs have the same problem. :)

I would be afraid to get into any trade with so many pirated editions.

When Tower Records came to Bangkok with all kinds of wonderful and unusual music that could not be found here before, illegal copies were made and could be found in Kao San Road for less than 100 baht each . DVDs have the same problem. :)

So true. Its easy to get a copy of any CD/DVD here in Chiang Mai for 100 baht.

I often think of things that I really want, that you can't get here and that sell well elsewhere. There are lots of things like that and someday I will probably pick a few that would fit in with bookstores and sell them just to see what happens.

Coffee is out because the market is flooded, but one famous used bookstore in Bangkok has a blog where he complains almost every day about ever starting a "book cafe'" and lists all the problems, and makes me happy that I did not.

How about a place that sells premium chocolates? The Thais are getting into this kind of thing and the ones that have popped up so far, don't seem very premium to me.

I often think of things that I really want, that you can't get here and that sell well elsewhere. There are lots of things like that and someday I will probably pick a few that would fit in with bookstores and sell them just to see what happens.

Coffee is out because the market is flooded, but one famous used bookstore in Bangkok has a blog where he complains almost every day about ever starting a "book cafe'" and lists all the problems, and makes me happy that I did not.

How about a place that sells premium chocolates? The Thais are getting into this kind of thing and the ones that have popped up so far, don't seem very premium to me.

Well, if you sold premium chocolates - you should invest in a recumbent exercise bike too and rent it out.

Reading a book on a recumbent bike whilst eating premium chocolates....I'd go for that. :)