Thai Dowry

Ricksomchai

:) Hey all i have not been on in some time but wanted to ask? My gf and I want to get married sounds nice huh however for a Dowry her family ask for $15,000 USD .... hmmm I dont want to pay this will take a lifetime to get and she has not even finished school!!! Well she droped out really. so Im asking what is too much and what is right? what would you give out.....?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

give us more info.

meet in bar?

how many kids w how many dads?

up country or downcountry girl?

pretty or the usuall kind?

etc....

personally i dont think the family will want you if you think 15k$ is too mut!

Edited by imapig

:) Hey all i have not been on in some time but wanted to ask? My gf and I want to get married sounds nice huh however for a Dowry her family ask for $15,000 USD .... hmmm I dont want to pay this will take a lifetime to get and she has not even finished school!!! Well she droped out really. so Im asking what is too much and what is right? what would you give out.....?

I don't like this dowry scam (unless it's like in India where they pay you to take her off their hands) but I know it's a face thing here.

But half a million baht for what.

Ask yourself a few questions first, how long have you known her, what was she working at when you met her, what is the social status of here parents, is she an only child, why did she drop out of school, has she already got a child, etc., etc.

I would suggest 20% of what they are asking for as a max :D

Edited by john b good

These dowry/sin-sod threads seem to go, on and on.

There are no set amounts to what should be paid, nor is it a strict code of must dos within Thai culture.

It all depends on how gullible the girl and her family believes the mug is and how desperate is the guy that he is willing to pay to obtain a wife.

My wife prior to marriage never asked me for any monies up front, either as a loan or a gift, and the same applied to my many friends back in the UK who have married Thai women.

The short answer is: it’s up to the guy if he is willing to pay large amounts of money as requested by his future bride and her family or not.

If a girl loves you, she will accept the guy for who and what he is and not for any financial gain.

half is 7.5$ thousand.

you give that and youll see one happy upcountry family who think they just hit the lotto!

w this kind of logic the family will just request dubble what they want and get it. i gotta believe the avg farang is no match for country folk!

Edited by imapig

half is 7.5$ thousand.

you give that and youll see one happy upcountry family who think they just hit the lotto!

w this kind of logic the family will just request dubble what they want and get it. i gotta believe the avg farang is no match for country folk!

That depends on what type of guy he is.

All I suggested is that he makes a decision and stands by it.

Like Sassienie said,there is no set amount.

What about that guy who paid 1 million to the Katoy :) .

These dowry/sin-sod threads seem to go, on and on.

There are no set amounts to what should be paid, nor is it a strict code of must dos within Thai culture.

It all depends on how gullible the girl and her family believes the mug is and how desperate is the guy that he is willing to pay to obtain a wife.

My wife prior to marriage never asked me for any monies up front, either as a loan or a gift, and the same applied to my many friends back in the UK who have married Thai women.

The short answer is: it’s up to the guy if he is willing to pay large amounts of money as requested by his future bride and her family or not.

If a girl loves you, she will accept the guy for who and what he is and not for any financial gain.

Now I am agreeing with you :)

The girl dropped out of school! How old is she? How old are you?

As for the OP. Walk away. Do it now. Before it is too late. No Sinsot need paying. Judging from your OP. You don't have money.

Also consider this. Family have put a high price on the girl. Mebbe they don't want you.

US$15,000 ?

Using mean average wage & GDP figures between Thailand & US we can conservatively reach a multiplying factor of 6.

US$15,000 x 6 = US$90,000

Would you pay US$90,000 to marry a high school drop out in the US?

If not, why not?

Fast forward to Thailand - Just say 'No' & watch their reaction very closely.

You will now have your answer.

:D Hey all i have not been on in some time but wanted to ask? My gf and I want to get married sounds nice huh however for a Dowry her family ask for $15,000 USD .... hmmm I dont want to pay this will take a lifetime to get and she has not even finished school!!! Well she droped out really. so Im asking what is too much and what is right? what would you give out.....?

I don’t recommend giving any dowry since you probably end up taking care of the family for a long time. Tell wife to be this and talk her to tell family no Dowry from Farang husband. Is not proper :)

I don’t recommend giving any dowry since you probably end up taking care of the family for a long time. Tell wife to be this and talk her to tell family no Dowry from Farang husband. Is not proper :)

Exactly right. Farangs are not required to pay sin sod. The opportunities that become available when marrying a farang far out weigh any requirement to pay 'up front'.

It is not required nowadays. Don't pay anything if you don't want to. The alternative is to pay whatever they ask and ensure that you get it all back after the ceremony. I get the whole face thing and have a certain tolerance for it, so I would have paid the money up front if I got it back after the ceremony, but my wife's parents didn't ask for it and they put the money in the pot themselves.

Marrying a 'good' girl from a good family should negate the need for any sin sot. Don't play the 'whitey pays game', it ain't so and isn't a tradition. Those that pay it and don't get the money back are just mugs.

"My gfand I want to get married sounds nice huh". No not really.

"her family ask for $15,000". Why in US Dollars and not Thai Baht. Are they Cambodian ?

"I dont want to pay this". You've already decided on what you want to do, so why ask ?

"What is too much".Anything that is being asked of, in my opinion.

"What is right". That is a tough one. That one you can decide on.

"What would you give out". Nothing. As someone stated, she and her family, stand to gain by just being married to you, in one way or the other.

give us more info.

meet in bar?

how many kids w how many dads?

up country or downcountry girl?

pretty or the usuall kind?

etc....

personally i dont think the family will want you if you think 15k$ is too mut!

She works in a bank.

And they met on internet 3 years ago.

He has been here to see her 3 times. One of them was for 3 months.

And he wants to bring her to USA.

At least this is what he says in other threads in July 2009.

And the OP has started 2-3 thread with more or less the same topic.

One question -

Do people from different regions of Thailand has different practices regarding sin sod?

Nope.

In some regions parents will accept bovine as Sin Sot, or as part payment. I don't think it applies to people living in BKK Edited by coventry

One question -

Do people from different regions of Thailand has different practices regarding sin sod?

Nope.

In some regions parents will accept bovine as Sin Sot, or as part payment. I don't think it applies to people living in BKK

Sounds like a load of bullocks to me.

It's not just a white guy thing. My wifes nephew is getting soaked by the brides parents. It is a real soap opera in the village. She has her hooks in real deep, he has already bought stuff that she demands of him. I feel sorry for him, the guy is hard working and doesn't drink,real good people. If my Thai was better I would tell him to run from this one.