Thai Work Permit For 27yo U.s.

Hello,

I have read several posts but still have a few fairly straightforwad questions:

** Am I able to obtain a non-immigrant visa without already having secured employment in Thailand? Or is a letter of sponsorship from a Thai company required beforehand?

To give a brief background on my situation: In October 2005, I am planning to move to Bangkok and spend 12-24 months working there. I am a young and educated professional seeking a "sabbatical" of sorts, and I would ideally like to arrange my visas here, and my employment when I get to Bangkok.

Any direction you can give me on the logistics of the visa process would be greatly appreciated. As I understand the process, one needs to first get the Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa in his/her home country and then, once in Thailand, apply for a work permit. Is this correct?

** Also, is a one-way plane ticket an acceptable/advisable move (assuming I am able to get the visa)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-Bo

A letter or more is normally required to obtain a B non immigrant visa.

A tourist visa could be used to make your visit and look around and when/if employment found you could make a trip to Penang or other close consulate to obtain the proper visa. This would also allow travel on a one way ticket (assuming airline is willing).

lopburi3 as normal has given you the basics of what you would need to do. Follow his advice when he gives it. I would tell you to come on a tourist visa and then look for employment after that you can travel outside of Thailand to obtain the proper visa. Of course if you can afford it that is. Best of luck

Please visit

http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

This is the royal Thai Embassy in DC, USA.

Accurate information for all types of visas. A taste....

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

(May required the approval from the Ministry Concerns from Thailand in case by case and required invitation letter from Thailand)

Purpose of visit: BUSINESS and CONFERENCE (requiring the business letter with letter-head explains purpose of visit, also included name of company, organization or mission and address in Thailand), RESEARCH, TEACHING, MASS MEDIA or MISSIONARY (requiring the letter with letter-head from company, agency or organization sending you on your mission, and also the letter from your counterpart in Thailand). TEACHING AND EDUCATION (requiring the letter with the letter-head from educational institution in Thailand). FAMILY REUNION (requiring marriage or birth certificates). SETTLEMENT AFTER RETIREMENT (requiring proof of retirement and financial support). MEDICAL TREATMENT (requiring letter from licensed doctor). (Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)