Export Company - Company Car

rebo

We own an Export Co., Ltd. and are considering to buy a new company car. Actual car is a pick up, VIGO 4-doors.

Our tax accountant told us that only a truck or pick up would be tax deductable for our company.

Since we use the car mostly for transportation of people (Customers on shopping tours, follow-up visits to suppliers, determine potential new suppliers etc.) and very seldom for transportation of goods this makes no sense for me.

Does anybody know about this regulation, or may it be a misinformation? Anybody owning a (Export) company registered MPV (I would like to buy a TOYOTA Fortuner)?

Thanks in advance for your appretiated advice.

This is unfortunately true. You can claim the VAT ONLY for pick-ups with TWO doors and DIESEL engine, as well as cars witth nine or more seats (minivans).

One of my absolute pet peeves as it is not only the VAT on the car itself but also on all related expenses such as fuel and maintenance. I lost with my Honda Jazz approx. 100,000 Baht over the 5 years I own it!

Still, you can use all expenses (including the VAT) as deductibles.

You can claim the VAT ONLY for pick-ups with TWO doors and DIESEL engine, as well as cars witth nine or more seats (minivans).

Thanks a lot, Raro! Unbelievable! I cannot see any logic in and wonder about the background of this regulation. I assume most of our customers would be quite upset if we would offer to drive them around in a 2 doors pick-up ...

However, once more, TiT ...!

• 2 months later...
You can claim the VAT ONLY for pick-ups with TWO doors and DIESEL engine, as well as cars witth nine or more seats (minivans).

Thanks a lot, Raro! Unbelievable! I cannot see any logic in and wonder about the background of this regulation. I assume most of our customers would be quite upset if we would offer to drive them around in a 2 doors pick-up ...

VAT is only 7%, what's the problem?

VAT is only 7%, what's the problem?

That is 70,000 Baht on a 1 Mio car lost to the revenue department. In my books a lot!

//edit: on top of that the VAT for fuel, maintenance etc cannot be claimed either.