"Violence Unlikely" At Today's Red-shirt Rally

webfact

3,950 police backed up by Long Range Acoustic Device to be deployed to handle red-shirts

The Metropolitan Police Bureau will deploy 26 companies of police of 3,950 officers to control the situation when the red-shirt people rally on Saturday.

A source from the bureau said police would still use the so-called Korakot 52 Operation Plan to deal with the protesters.

The Long Range Acoustic Device will also be deployed and used as crowd-control device if necessary, the source said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/17

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3,950 police backed up by Long Range Acoustic Device to be deployed to handle red-shirts

The Metropolitan Police Bureau will deploy 26 companies of police of 3,950 officers to control the situation when the red-shirt people rally on Saturday.

A source from the bureau said police would still use the so-called Korakot 52 Operation Plan to deal with the protesters.

The Long Range Acoustic Device will also be deployed and used as crowd-control device if necessary, the source said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/17

I guess teargas is out of the picture??

Seems like someone has been watching "Future Weapons" on Discovery

http://www.tech-faq.com/long-range-acoustic-device.shtml

I don't think the Thai police should be let loose with one of these... :D

I wouldnt worry too much as they will either forget to put the battery in or the existing battery will run out and require a THB 10 million budget to replace it....same same as the Tsumanmi warning device... :D

Anyways dont believe they have this device, it will be a Thai version....a pick up truck mounted with speakers blaring out Thai karaoke at 06:00am... :D .....

:)

I don't think the Thai police should be let loose with one of these... :)

Seems like a pair of good earplugs, will do the job:

"The loud sounds the LRAD emits may cause permanent hearing damage to those within its range. The LRAD sound wave can be cancelled altogether through the use of common earplugs. The better the earplugs are at blocking sound waves, the less effective the LRAD is. Sounds emitted from the LRAD can be reflected back to the source by using a flat solid object."

^ beat me to it

The loud sounds the LRAD emits may cause permanent hearing damage to those within its range. The LRAD sound wave can be cancelled altogether through the use of common earplugs. The better the earplugs are at blocking sound waves, the less effective the LRAD is. Sounds emitted from the LRAD can be reflected back to the source by using a flat solid object.

i expect the reds will be issued with earplugs and some reflecting devices to counter this thing.

why didn't they wheel it out on BLACK Suvarnabhumi day, when the yellows took over the airport ? that would have got the yellow terrorists running

Edited by mc2

150db. Jesus. And it is indiscriminate, everyone downstream and within the arc gets to need new eardrums. Putting this in the hands of people who didn't know that explosive tear gas cannisters explode...

A bit of a worry.

And of course, they announced it so the protesters can lay in a supply of ear protectors. How thoughtful. :)

150db. Jesus. And it is indiscriminate, everyone downstream and within the arc gets to need new eardrums. Putting this in the hands of people who didn't know that explosive tear gas cannisters explode...

A bit of a worry.

And of course, they announced it so the protesters can lay in a supply of ear protectors. How thoughtful. :)

If they used it (wrongly one would expect) then what about the old folk and babies around??? The yellow and red shirt meetings both have mostly average family folk (go and look at the gatherings if you don't believe me) with 3 or 4 generations of ages - I forsee another bad mistake... then what? Do they charge Abhisit and ISOC (no police chief to charge...) because of the ill trained police???

It might look like a relatively harmless crowd dispersal device, but in the hands of the Thai police... :D

Edited by jasreeve17

104db is point of pain, extended listing to 107-110db can cause gradual hearing lose.

This is nothing like having a gun fired near your head, which can have a impulse of 200db or more.

Basically waving it at a crowd will make most all stick fingers in their ears quick fast

and drop whatever they are doing. Ear plugs will have SOME effectiveness, but not as much as hoped,

and a truly nasty mixed tone can make it worse.

Think a 3 dentists drilling into your UPPER jaw sinus cavities at the same time...

with 3 different speed drills..... but LOUDER.

This will be effective. But not lethal, and if generally waved around

and not focused for long on one person or small group.

it should not give permanent hearing damage.

Low frequencies pop ear drums, highs just give you a serious head ache.

Who can keep on smashing things with both ears blocked with their fingers?

Edited by animatic

104db is point of pain, extended listing to 107-110db can cause gradual hearing lose.

This is nothing like having a gun fired near your head, which can have a impulse of 200db or more.

Basically waving it at a crowd will make most all stick fingers in their ears quick fast

and drop whatever they are doing. Ear plugs will have SOME effectiveness, but not as much as hoped,

Think a 3 dentists drilling into your UPPER jaw sinus cavities at the same time...

As others have said, lets hope they don't do any permanent damage. Of course the ISA will protect any of the "forces" should they do wrong anyway.

Why do the authorities always take such great pride in announcing their tactics?

Do you have any scientific evidence that "waving" it around will not give permanent hearing damage? Or is it just conjecture?

I wouldnt worry too much as they will either forget to put the battery in or the existing battery will run out and require a THB 10 million budget to replace it....same same as the Tsumanmi warning device... :D

Anyways dont believe they have this device, it will be a Thai version....a pick up truck mounted with speakers blaring out Thai karaoke at 06:00am... :D .....

:)

Can we expect there will be dancing on the streets then ?? :D:D:D

Do you have any scientific evidence that "waving" it around will not give permanent hearing damage? Or is it just conjecture?

Easy enough to find.

And common knowledge for any professional sound engineer also.

If it is too loud only for a brief moment it will be an extreme annoyance,

that you want to avoid next time it swings back.

If it is long term it can then cause resonances and nerve over load.

150db is like walking 1 foot from a large concert PA system typically measured at 1m not 1 foot.

A gun shot next to your head is a low frequency pulse and that causes much higher damage

similar to punctured ear drums on the battle field from bomb explosions.

I just hope the police had training on how to use this thing. Still, I guess better than exploding tear gas.

Toxin's red thugs will probably cancel at the last moment anyway, like they are prone to do. Hopefully they will, otherwise the reds will be out shooting more innocent people, burning down public property, threatening to blow up condos with gas trucks, etc. Low life scum eating dirt dogs!

Anyways dont believe they have this device, it will be a Thai version....a pick up truck mounted with speakers blaring out Thai karaoke at 06:00am...

Here in the village of WangNamYen, they aren't discriminate about what gets blasted at 6am. The early bird moron who wakes up feeling great and loves to share his blasting, booming base crap with everybody within a few kms....the public announcements which take only about 10 seconds but repeat for a solid hour...the mobile food vendor who want to be sure he/she doesn't miss waking up everybody...the discordant, octave-flipping, eardrum-piercing, marriage or funeral ceremonial music (OMG)...

...and indiscriminate about when also, never mind 6am, 5am or earlier is fine too.

I sure hope I can adapt, like I was somehow able to for the barking dogs, or living here in the village may not be feasible for me long term. All I want is a good night sleep. Should I apologize for that? No, but be realistic? Yes. Ain't gonna happen. :)

Soldiers, police deployed to guard Government House

Soldiers and police formed barricades around the Government House Friday morning after the enforcement of the Internal Security Act in Bangkok's Dusit district began.

Officials put up a new iron barricade before the gate on the side of the Phadung-Krung Kasem Canal and officials of Government House and reporters were still allowed to enter the compound.

The officials also used concrete slabs and iron barricades to form lines around the Government House on the side of the Rajdamnoen Klang and Phitsanulok roads.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/18

I understand that the newest weapon in the police arsenal has not yet been given public disclosure.

Its the FLDB.

The BiB's techies have been in Parliment gathering and compressing ammunition

The FLDB has a beam width of 180 degrees and while just making most in front of it sick, can , at times, cause the recipient to commit suicide.

I have been informed that as of last week in Parliment that there is suficient reserve of ammunition for the FLDB....

FLDB ='s Flatulence Directional Beam

Anyways dont believe they have this device, it will be a Thai version....a pick up truck mounted with speakers blaring out Thai karaoke at 06:00am...

Here in the village of WangNamYen, they aren't discriminate about what gets blasted at 6am. The early bird moron who wakes up feeling great and loves to share his blasting, booming base crap with everybody within a few kms....the public announcements which take only about 10 seconds but repeat for a solid hour...the mobile food vendor who want to be sure he/she doesn't miss waking up everybody...the discordant, octave-flipping, eardrum-piercing, marriage or funeral ceremonial music (OMG)...

...and indiscriminate about when also, never mind 6am, 5am or earlier is fine too.

I sure hope I can adapt, like I was somehow able to for the barking dogs, or living here in the village may not be feasible for me long term. All I want is a good night sleep. Should I apologize for that? No, but be realistic? Yes. Ain't gonna happen. :)

Oh my. Can I not relate to that very much...

They sure are a plague and a pestilence...

I sure hope I can adapt, like I was somehow able to for the barking dogs, or living here in the village may not be feasible for me long term. All I want is a good night sleep. Should I apologize for that? No, but be realistic? Yes. Ain't gonna happen. :D

Oh my. Can I not relate to that very much...

They sure are a plague and a pestilence...

I had to look up pestilence. I'd heard the phrase "plague and pestilence" before but was unsure what it meant. Supposedly pestilence used to refer to the Bubonic plague, and that I never knew. Believe it or not, there is actually a board game called "Plague & Pestilence" :)

But of course I get your drift. Sorry you've also had to contend with that.

The early morning noise problem is a big one for me. It's up there with language and climate issues. If I were single I would get a high-rise condo in Pattaya or Jomtien where it would be comfortable and quiet for me, I assume. But the wife would surely be very unhappy so I need to try to play this out first. It's a difficult situation. Not unusual issues in a western/Thai relationship.

Edited by Lopburi99

RED SHIRTED RALLY

Security tightened at Gen Prem's BKK and Korat residences

By The Nation

Joint forces of police and soldiers have been deployed to residence of Privy Councilor Gen Prem Tinsulanonda in Nakhon Ratchasima to prepare for pro-Thaksin protesters who planned to rally there.

The protesters known as red shirts said it will gather at Gen Prem's Nakorn Ratchisima residence Friday night before joining the rally in Bangkok on Saturday at the Royal Plaza and Prem's Bangkok residence.

The Saturday protest is aimed at marking the third anniversary of the coup that ousted then PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Meanwhile two tents were set up in front of his Bangkok residence while two fire trucks were on standby nearby.

Setsiri Road in front of his residence was closed and drivers were advised to use bypass routes, and checkpoints were set up at both ends of the road.

A large contingent of military personnel and police are stationed at the two check-points.

Meanwhile First Army Region's Deputy Commander Maj Gen Ongart Pongsak led a army bomb squad to inspect the Royal Plaza and the environs of Gen Prem's residence and nearby government offices.

The bomb squad used five bomb scanning devices to search for explosives and would randomly scan during the implementation of the ISA through Tuesday. (TNA)

Nattawut Saikua, leader of the Red Shirts, said earlier that their protest at both residences because they believed that Prem masterminded the 2006 coup, and that he is committed to undermine democracy.

Gen Prem reportedly arrived at his home in Nakhon Ratchasima at 11.30 am on Friday. He is scheduled to chair a scholarship granting ceremony on Saturday morning.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/18