Visiting In The Monsoon Season

VisitingMarz

Hi all

My partner and I are visiting Phuket for the first time in the next couple of weeks, and I've been reading up on Phuket, but I'm hoping to get some advice.

1. Our flight flight arrives at 9am on a weekday, and since we can't check in to our hotel (in Kata) untill after 1pm, we plan take a public transport (taxi/tuktuk?) from the airport to Phuket Town a stroll/food/sightseeing/chilling first, then from there to our hotel. Is that a good idea? I'm happy to receive other suggestions. :)

2. How difficult is it to catch a metered taxi from a) the airport, :D Phuket town and c)Kata? And what is the maximum reasonable cost of a tuktuk/unlicenced taxi fee from Phuket town to Kata? (just in case we can't get a metered taxi and need to bargain.)

3. We were planning to visit Phi phi island and snorkel a lot but have realised that we're visiting in peak monsoon season. Does that mean we should concentrate on planning land activities instead? We're here for a few days only.

Thanks in advance :D

Your over all plan sounds be fine. Your questions have been asked and answered many times in these forums. I suggest you do a search. You will find a lot of good info.

When you arrive at the airport, the yellow metered taxi stand is to the right after you exit the main doors. You'll need to get past all the overpriced "limo" touts asking "Taxi? taxi?" Ignore them. They are insane and unsafe drivers. At about 350 baht, (less if it's to town and not the beach) metered taxi's are a little bit more reasonable than the "Limo's" but some don't have seat belts in the back. Tuk Tuk from town to Kata shouldn't be much more than 300 baht, but I am not sure what you would do in town, other than eat at a good restaurant (which there are many in kata as well) or go to the top of Rang Hill. Just stay away from the biting monkeys. I recommend you drop your luggage at the hotel (they should watch it for you until check in) Walking around Kata/Karon and checking out the beach is probably a better option than going to town, and you don't have to worry about your luggage.

As far as it being monsoon season and going to Phi Phi, there are still plenty of nice days. You should play it by ear.

And for all tourists visiting, don't rent a insurance-less jetski (and none of them have insurance), and please don't take pictures with captive wild animals (birds of prey, slow loris's, and gibbons), and if you rent a motorbike, never leave your passport with them, only copies. And watch your wallet on Bangla Road. Lots of pickpockets working there, as in any busy tourist area.

Have fun!!

SB

Since no hotel in Phuket is full (or even close to it) in this season, it is very likely that you actually can check in at your hotel. so you ought to call them when you arrive to see if you can go there directly. And I am afraid there's an excellent chance it will be raining.

People tent to overstate the rain issue. There are many great days this time of year. Today was beautiful for example. No rain at all. And unless we get an actual storm front, which is rare, the rain we tend to get is either very early in the morning, or in the late afternoon, and lasts about 40 minutes. And it is very heavy. We have a saying here, "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

During August in Bangkok, several days in-a-row without rain, and in short patches when it did. Great having washing dry so quickly.

Bit hot for me in BKK, first time I appreciated air conditioning inside buildings.

Lovely at Jomtien with the sea breezes.

I personally would not be wanting to be carrying my luggage through Phuket Town.  Take a meter taxi to your hotel and if they won't let you check in ( they should though as hotels aren't full), then you can leave your bags at your hotel and go eat somewhere within walking distance. I see no benefit to sitting on a bus after coming off a plane as I'd rather kill time close to my hotel and the beach.

Weather will be hit or miss.  Last few days have been perfect, but a number of days before that had  rain and you can also get those storm front days where it will be on and off rain for 4-5 days.

I personally would not be wanting to be carrying my luggage through Phuket Town.  Take a meter taxi to your hotel and if they won't let you check in ( they should though as hotels aren't full), then you can leave your bags at your hotel and go eat somewhere within walking distance. I see no benefit to sitting on a bus after coming off a plane as I'd rather kill time close to my hotel and the beach.

Weather will be hit or miss.  Last few days have been perfect, but a number of days before that had  rain and you can also get those storm front days where it will be on and off rain for 4-5 days.

Totally agree. The thought of walking around Phuket Town with luggage doesn't sound like much fun. It can be very sunny and hot at the moment, and Phuket Town isn't noted for it's shade in the streets! Phuket Town is also spread over a wide area, so really, you would need to know exactly where you wanted to go. Far better (as Steelepulse suggests) to go straight to the hotel and leave your bags with reception (making sure you keep valuables and documents with you).