Mobile Phone Vidoes Thai Teacher Beating Kid

gerrythepoet

This lunch time sitting in our local market I saw the Thai news of a Thai teacher brutally hitting either a M1 or M2 girl, it was pretty shocking after tightening her shirt collar with his fist he hit her head and slammed her against the whiteboard. There was only one clip.

Before this I was firmly against the use of mobile phones in a classroom in the cases of instruction without technology, now I think I will encourage my students to keep the phone available and on silent mode.

I sincererly hope the Thai Teacher is prosecuted and not let off.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts under Disgusted by Ignorance that the time will come for like minded minds to take action from what may be seen as retribution for past mistakes.

I can only commend the student who took the clip and informed the News team, however I am sure the Teacher concerned will have a pretty good idea which of his students took the video from those that have mobiles with cameras to the angle from which the video was taken.

Just hope that someone somewhere especially in the MOE sits and takes action and puts out some sensible guidelines for Govt schools in appropriate discipline not what was seen to be hel_l on Earth for a wee kid.

Just seen this clip on Channel 3. Absolutely disgusting, it made me sick to my stomach.

I really hope this b@%*ard faces some harsh consequences. Sadly, i doubt it :)

I do not understand the Thai language but I was wondering on the clip that the man the news team were filming was the culprit. It looked like a lot of scars to his face?

They did interview the 'teacher'.... he had his back to the camera tho.

Apparently, he claims it looked worse than it was and that he always 'plays' with that particular kid in that way!!!!

All i can say is, thank goodness a fellow child in that class decided to film these 'games!!!'

The school in question have taken NO action against the teacher :)

However, the 'teacher' has voluntarily resigned.

A teacher beating a pupil?

Really?

How disgusting!

That said, what I hear from my children in school everything is possible.

Beating of hands with a ruler, slapping ears or face, bottomkicking, scissoring girl's and boy's hair and more of those very nice things.

Found out, in Thai law, teachers are not allowed to do any of the things, not even to touch pupils.

Based on children's rights of the UN, accepted by Thai Parliament and signed by His Majesty.

No more problems for my children!

"This lunch time sitting in our local market I saw the Thai news of a Thai teacher brutally hitting either a M1 or M2 girl, it was pretty shocking after tightening her shirt collar with his fist he hit her head and slammed her against the whiteboard. "

Sounds pretty bad . However I can think of some boys I have had in my class who have driven me to wanting to thump them but prevented because of the rules, and before all the anti physical punishment brigade start spouting, I have witnessed serious bad behaviour in a falang teachers class only to stop when a Thai teacher comes in the room. Fact is they know they can get away with a falang (not being able to use the stick).

I'm ready to hear from other falang teachers with experience in government schools in Thailand, those who know nothing about teaching in government high schools in Thailand can keep their woolly liberal opinions to themselves.

Edited by sunnymarky

There's a report of the incident on this Australian news link

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

The BK post reported that the school would not dismiss the teacher because they had no one to fill his classes before the upcoming exams.

They also said the boy concerned was not 'angry' at the teacher and that he 'had deserved it'. Draw your own conclusions about why he might say that.

The 'best' part of it was the teacher's reaction on being questioned; he said 'yes it was wrong, but kids get hurt a lot worse in playground fights'. That was the bit that astounded me the most. I think its fairly safe to assume that he would have got away with this action and attitude, but the publicity around the story should ensure he gets binned. (I note another poster says he's voluntarily resigned...any confirmations?).

As a 'farang' teacher in a state institution I do witness unruly behaviour, but if you can't handle kids being kids you shouldn't be in the job. To any who may sympathise with the teacher, just ask yourself whether you would want your own kids to study in his class (apparently all the kid did was not bring his books to class, then give a smart-ass reply when told off about it. This happens almost daily to me; my answer is - "OK, good luck in the exams".).

Edited by SoftWater

The BK post reported that the school would not dismiss the teacher because they had no one to fill his classes before the upcoming exams.

They also said the boy concerned was not 'angry' at the teacher and that he 'had deserved it'. Draw your own conclusions about why he might say that.

The 'best' part of it was the teacher's reaction on being questioned; he said 'yes it was wrong, but kids get hurt a lot worse in playground fights'. That was the bit that astounded me the most. I think its fairly safe to assume that he would have got away with this action and attitude, but the publicity around the story should ensure he gets binned. (I note another poster says he's voluntarily resigned...any confirmations?).

As a 'farang' teacher in a state institution I do witness unruly behaviour, but if you can't handle kids being kids you shouldn't be in the job. To any who may sympathise with the teacher, just ask yourself whether you would want your own kids to study in his class (apparently all the kid did was not bring his books to class, then give a smart-ass reply when told off about it. This happens almost daily to me; my answer is - "OK, good luck in the exams".).

I can tell you that when physical punishment was removed in the UK many boys eyes lit up. I saw the most arrogant and quite frankly criminally inclined boys (As it turned out they became) would square up to teachers face to face with the "what you gonna do about it" attitude. the fact is the fear of a good thrashing dissappeared. Boys will often push the boundaries in school as far as they can and when you move that boundary back you are in retreat. I talk from experience and there are some boys in Thai schools who I have dragged down to the discipline room to get what they deserve.

Edited by sunnymarky

Here's the video on the Thai incident -- currently spreading throughout the world news:

Video: Thai teacher caught on cellphone beating pupil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Cx9EahScQ

Thanks for the link to the video. I've just watched it with some fellow teachers and we all agreed (both men and women) that if that lad was our son, we'd be after some serious retribution.

I see kids get the bamboo stick daily. I have pics showing it. One of the teachers (all Thai, by the way) open hand slaps her students.

Makes me cringe.

I have tried to find the Thai law that prohibits physically hitting students, to no avail. Anyone have it? I plan to clip the little part about not hitting kids and anonymously handing them out to those animals.

I can tell you that when physical punishment was removed in the UK many boys eyes lit up. I saw the most arrogant and quite frankly criminally inclined boys (As it turned out they became) would square up to teachers face to face with the "what you gonna do about it" attitude. the fact is the fear of a good thrashing dissappeared. Boys will often push the boundaries in school as far as they can and when you move that boundary back you are in retreat. I talk from experience and there are some boys in Thai schools who I have dragged down to the discipline room to get what they deserve.

I can see where you're coming from and I do understand specified discipline is crucial so as to help control the class's atmosphere. However, what I've seen in the video posted above is not discipline. That's total violation and assault.

There is actually a new case on Thai tv today, where the kid has broken bones.

My wife told me that a few years ago there was an incident with a Pratom student who had his bones broken and the Director of the school went to the parents to name their price to keep the story hushed up.

Is it not time that guidelines and rules are set in stone not just for us Falangs in Govt schools?

There will always be a double standard when it comes to Thai teachers vs Farang white monkey teachers.

I have kids in my class who are consistently late coming to class by 10-20 minutes.

I get flustered and I do take them to the Thai teacher for the Thai version of "get real".

Other times, if they forget their notebooks (all these rules I have for them are read in Thai at the beginning of every term and often reminded) the boys take a part of blackboard and draw 20 women and the girls draw 20 cars. They seldom forget their notebooks after that. Other times, they stand up with both arms raised until such time as I give a dam_n.

But watching the Thai and also the many Korean videos of student beatings, sickens me.

Let's refrain from referring to any teachers as white monkeys. Quite unflattering since I am completely unable to climb a tree!

I work mostly around older students and I have never been a hitter so the reaction doesn't come to me in a moment of anger. I also look at a few of them and my fear of them hitting back prevents any premeditated hitting.

Several things need to be done to help teachers avoid these situations.

1. A release valve--some measure has to be in place to allow both teachers and students from getting into these situations. (I routinely tell teachers to send the students to my office, or if they are angry at the entire class and can't handle it, just leave and let me know. I go down and take them for the remainder of the period).

2. Prioritize and plan what to do. Students do forget books, workbooks and notebooks. A lot of times, they can share. If they forget a notebook, they can write on a piece of paper. My favorite is when well over half the class have nothing--no books, no notebooks and a big grin on their faces. Well, then it's time for a test!

3. Put ownership of the problem where it belongs--on the student. I don't see it as being my problem if they forget something. It's their problem and they will have to live with the consequences, which might be copying senselessly from a book for the entire period because they can't do their workbook.

4. Know yourself and what triggers a rage. Everyone is a little different on this and what can send one person into a blind rage bordering on an anyerism will be rather mundane to the next person. It doesn't hurt to know when your fuse is shorter than usual--like a poor nights sleep, trouble at home etc.

In my experience, certain teachers 'enjoy' or take relish from finding out what the rules are and then making sure they are imposed.

My take on it is the exact opposite. If you IMMEDIATELY impose the rules, then you are forced to impose the punishment - and this backs you into a corner. You've immediately got no other options but to impose some sort of punishment.

There are other ways.

Google 'positive classroom management techniques' and see if you can learn something. Be warned, it takes a complete change of mindset. YOu have to cast off the notion that you are the ultimate authority in the classroom and 'must be obeyed'. YOu have to look at 'problems' in a different way. WHo gives a rats ass if kids are 10 minutes late. No point giving yourself an ulcer about it. Ignore it ! Punishing them isnt going to make them turn up on time. Every single day i see the same kids running laps around the track at school because they are late. Is it working? Clearly not.

Using positive behaviour techniques focuses the teacher on rewarding and encouraging the student to do the best they can, as opposed to punishing them for little things like being late or forgetting a notebook. Believe it or not, when a student feels good about you, they are more likely to behave. If you put yourself in the position of two animals butting heads, then they are not going to behave.

Do you have rules in your classroom which sound like "you must do this, or you must not do that"

All a bit authoritarian isnt it?

There is an alternative !

Back on topic. I believe that violence breeds violence. If my child was beaten by a teacher, of course i would feel angry, but i wouldnt go and kick the teachers head in. What sort of example does that set to your child, and the other kids in the school? That violence is ok?

What are they going to be like when they become teachers........................

markg, thanks for the post. Generally, I agree with you. Punishment is like the death sentence--it should be done quickly and painlessly as possible.

I disagree about violence breeding violence. I think we are basically born fairly violent and much of what we learn is how to control that violent nature. That said, more violence certainly doesn't teach anyone much about learning to control it.

Scott, don't patronize. You know exactly what I mean, no need to take it literally.

Marq. That new method of classroom control works wonders in the west. Not here. It is ingrained into their culture to be late, to lie and cheat. The same cannot be said about the UK or other developed countries, with a big exception to Korea.

Actually, it 'can' work here too. I've been using it for two years with remarkable results.

I've written a number of university papers on the subject too.

The golden rule regarding classroom management is that there is no magic bullet. No single strategy will work for all kids, all the time.

So punishment won't work all the time, and of course, neither will positive management techniques.

A good teacher makes himself aware of a range of techniques and uses them all.

Here's the rub. Does punishing the student make you feel better or worse? Does it sometimes leave you with a knot in your stomach? Do you end up hating the student maybe. Does dealing with that student turn into a battle of wills - one of which you feel you have to win or end up losing your authority. 3 years ago, i answered 'yes' to all of the above.

I don't do punishments anymore.

I feel better for it, and so do my students.

I praise and reward for good behaviour (generally NOT for good work because that excludes the less able students)

The students who are bad don't get punished, they just don't get quite as much praise and reward. After a while, they yearn for it. I've seen it and done it countless times.

Problems (of tardiness/forgetting notebooks/chatting in Thai etc) are only problems if you recognize them as such.

Scott is quite right. Forget a notebook? Then share or use paper.

Chatting in Thai? No worries - please do it quietly.

Late? Big deal. Just come in will ya - glad you could make it.

Have you seen the buffalo fighting they do in Isaan where two of the beasts butt heads and try to push the other one back?

Try to make sure that isnt you and a student.

You may win the push, but you will end up unhappy, unfulfilled and with an ulcer.

Scott, don't patronize. You know exactly what I mean, no need to take it literally.

Marq. That new method of classroom control works wonders in the west. Not here. It is ingrained into their culture to be late, to lie and cheat. The same cannot be said about the UK or other developed countries, with a big exception to Korea.

You have a high opinion of Thai's. Hope you're not wasting your time here...

Markg is correct. Part of my job is discipline at the school and I use both the carrot and the stick (not literally). Some students respond very well to positives and others need isolation for a time--I put them in the hall and tell them to let me know when they are ready to back into the class and behave. If they want to stand in the hall and receive the worst torture--which is no attention, they can. They usually last for a few minutes.

Most respond to being treated with a level of respect. I understand that some classes are boring and they really don't like it. I often tell them I didn't either, but taking the class isn't optional.

The biggest tool in discipline--and I am talking about the more negative aspect is the implied threat. If challenged, they really don't know what I can or can't do. They usually conjure up much worse things happening that in fact I have planned for them. They quickly comply.

If you have a student who is really on the verge of losing it, it's best to leave them alone. You don't want that uncontrollable rage to erupt in class.

My motto with discipline is "you have to lose a few battles to win the war."