Leicester Dad Tells Of Battle To Cut Thai Drugs Sentence

churchill

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, I see your point (or argument).

But surely you know the answer to your own question about what is the problem.

If the Brits were to "change" all the sentences of their citizens they have received from other countries, the agreements about letting the British prisoners serve in England would be scrapped immediately.

What would be the point for the Thais to send him to England if the next thing they did was to say screw you to the Thais, and let him out sooner.

True. Very true. I just hope they have this guy in a (very) open prison, could they not use the excuse of electronic tagging and house arrest? Surely appeal can be made on this reasonably.

Stupid is as stupid does, mind you. Drugs in LOS? Yeah that was a great idea!

I do not know the English system, but he is in for a drug related crime.

Who knows, maybe the 2 goverments work something out and he is out earlier than he would have been in Thailand?

Anyhow, Im pretty sure the conditions in England is like a hotel compare to the system here in Thailand.

Maybe some of the members here can explain how it works.

What is wrong with that government, at the same time they let the Lockerbie bomber out on compassionate grounds.

Is Wilcox suffering from a terminal illness?

Oh come on! Mandelson has a meeting with Gaddaffi two days prior regarding oil deals and then . . .

I will agree about drugs anywhere, I hate the stuff because this sh1t has caused big family problems on both continents for me.

I wonder how many farang have had stuff planted on them by whoever in LOS to get them out the way?

I do not know the English system, but he is in for a drug related crime.

Who knows, maybe the 2 goverments work something out and he is out earlier than he would have been in Thailand?

Anyhow, Im pretty sure the conditions in England is like a hotel compare to the system here in Thailand.

Maybe some of the members here can explain how it works.

He was an idiot, for sure. Yes UK prisons will be like The Ritz compared to Thai jails. But 2020??!!

Oh come on! Mandelson has a meeting with Gaddaffi two days prior regarding oil deals and then . . .

If you are suggesting Ali al-Megrahi was let out for political reasons, I do not have enough evidence to suggest for, or against, however do Bears pee in the woods, I have little doubt.

I wonder how many farang have had stuff planted on them by whoever in LOS to get them out the way?

Now that is just plain speculation, I am all ears if you would like to tell me different though, with suitable corroboration of course.

Couldn't he just have paid someone to let him out, I'm confused... and wouldn't he be more likely to be able to pay someone to let him out if he was still in a Thai jail? Jeez... I hope I get the corruption process straightened out before I'm arrested!

That's crazy! Why won't the British let him out?

Okay, I really am no fan of drugs, but 2020? This is a mans life?

What is wrong with that government, at the same time they let the Lockerbie bomber out on compassionate grounds.

Why should they let him out? He was convicted and he's lucky he's allowed to serve his time in a UK prison or would he rather serve his time in a Thai jail? As for the lockerbie bomber it was a disgrace he was released, for sure he was innocent but he was happy to take the blame for gaddafi's goverment in return for his family being well compensated.

Brigante7.

Emotive subject …….. but an extremely harsh sentence by any standards.

The OP can be extremely glad and lucky he is a UK citizen and that the UK has a bilateral repatriation/exchange agreement in place, and that he is back home just a few years into his 33year sentence. There are Thai citizens in UK (and in other European) prisons who do not want to avail themselves to the repatriation agreements their conutry has with Thailand ... wonder why?

The OP was caught with a “small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis ……..”

1) Can the OP (or anyone else) clarify just exactly what the respective drug quantities were …..grams, kilos, or what …?

2) Was the sentence for “distribution” based on the respective quantities, individually or/and collectively, and was there any additional evidence presented by the prosecution to support the charge of “distribution” - or was it based on only the quantities?

3) Do the terms of the bilateral exchange agreement prevent one, or does one automatically surrender their appeal/judicial review rights (in Thai courts) after repatriation?

I can’t help wondering that if I was in the OP’s position I wouldn’t bite my lip and hold on for 10 – 15 years in the anticipation that a Royal pardon was a strong likely hood (?) Thats a rhetorical statement no-one needs answer. Pardons are often given when Major Royal events occur (.... and I'll leave it that).

MJP – “why wont they let him out” – firstly Jack Straw is known for his reluctance to grant release to repatriated prisoners – with or without a pardon, He has a reputation for supporting overseas convictions. The most recent release he asked Her Majesty (HMG – not Thai) to approve was only because evidence came to light supporting Micheal Sheilds’ innocence (this was the Bulgarian soccer assault case), and secondly – and this is a very important point to keep in mind – was only after, through diplomatic channels it was established that the Popova (Bulgarian Minister for Justice) had no objection (Straw always seeks the opinion of his counterpart in such cases).

MJP – Lockerbie bomber case was a Scottish matter, not a UK matter – though not withstanding Brown’s protestations that is was up to the Scot’s to decide, I do agree that it’s implausible to think the Scot’s would have gone ahead with al-Megrahi’s release if “Whitehall” had objected. al-Megrahi is in any event pretty close to death - if anything he supposed to now be a couple weeks at most from the end. One can look at how one wants, but no one had anything to gain by keeping him in Scotland - I do support his release.

Someone will now ask me - what about Ronnie Biggs?

A leopard doesn;t change its spots: from all accounts in the media it would appear that he well and truely pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

……….. all this aside, if the OP had been sentenced in a Singaporean court, he would now be facing capital punishment – and in Singapore if you are caught and successfully prosecuted for quantities that are considered to be for “distribution” the judge has NO OPTION, he is bound by legislation to pass the death sentence. In Thailand, for what it worth, the judge can exercise discretion. Not so in Singapore – the ONLY sentence is death. Thailand has always been reluctant to execute Westerners – Thailand doesn’t think twice about executing other Asians (and it has done so on several occasions over the last 10 years or so), but when it comes to Westerners I think it is now well over 150 years (if not 200plus - someone want to go and search it up on Google?)since the last Westerner was executed.

Personaly I feel addicts/abusers (what ever one wants to call them) are actually victims ….. and deserving of help, especially if they ask for it (and I don’t know one way or the other what the case is with the OP)…… I’ve been through it myself. Coming out of hospital a few years back I found it difficult to get off all the analgesic pain killer shit I was perscribed (Oxynorm liquid Instant release 600 – 700mg a day - milligram for milligram not far off Diamorphine Hydrochloride – which, for those who don’t know is medical grade heroin), and Morphine Sulphate slow release tabs’ 400 – 600mg’s per day. I got down to about 20% of the above over a period of around 6months – then stonewalled: couldn’t get any lower untill one day decided to go "cold turkey" – f’k, what an experience and a half that was! That was physical addiction (the brain stops producing its own dopamine when you use analgesics longterm - then you stop using analgesics and your body says, "hey wheres my dope?" - takes around 5-10 days for the brain to switch back on its internal dope production and regulation and during the first part of that week to 2 weeks, you will go through absolute hel_l). Apparently if you’re psychologically addicted as well … you really need professional help.

Quite why judicial systems incarcerate drug users/addicts/abusers/dependents (attach whatever lable one cares to - a rose would smell the same by any other name i.e. the problem is the same whatever label is attached to it) for long periods of time - let alone time-periods like 33 years, is quite beyond me – it doesn’t make sense at all - it serves no benefit to society, and if anything I think theres a strong argument that it does a great deal of psychological harm to the incarcerated individual - which I don't believe any State/Government/Judicial system has the right to do to a person.

I wish the OP all the best.

A DAD jailed for 33 years for drug possession in Thailand has spoken from his prison cell about his “living hel_l” behind bars.

The businessman, from Blaby, Leicestershire, was caged in a grimy Thai jail in 2003 after being caught with a small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis while working on the island of Koh Samui.

“‘‘They gave me a life sentence, even though they knew I wasn’t a drug dealer.”

‘‘

The judge would not have jailed him for 33 repeat 33 years if caught with a 'small' amount of drugs..you do the crime you do the time.. :)

Do not use yours wife's compassion to be set free, if that's the case there are thousands of prisoners in jails just waiting to be set free with that excuse..

In Thailand many Thais are still in jails for drug offences...fancy not many farangs speak up for them.... :D ..farangs for farangs...

This reminds me of a book I read called 'Forget you had a daughter' where a young British woman was sent to jail for drug possession.

She eventually got pardoned by the Thai Kng but spent some time in prison when she returned to the UK.

It is a good read.

Ian

Love thailand, "hey we caught you with drugs. YOU MUST BE A DEALER!"

"No money for BIB? No problem, we lock the poor up forever"

"What is rehabilitation? its that thing you lock them up and throw away the key, you know that thing? Thais are the best at it"

Thais are kind hearted Indeed.

Lesson to be learned... do not do drugs in thailand. :)

This really sums it all up. I really feel sympathy for a user only hurting himself with such a horrific life changing sentence, however the law is clear and no state secret, don't do drugs in Thailand, just drink legally.

• 3 weeks later...

33 years for possesion is brutal no one deserves that wen the likes of paedophiles,rapists and killers dont even get half that! give the guy a break 4 years in a thai nick is harsh enuff i fink he has served his time free him i say!

Couldn't he just have paid someone to let him out, I'm confused... and wouldn't he be more likely to be able to pay someone to let him out if he was still in a Thai jail? Jeez... I hope I get the corruption process straightened out before I'm arrested!

In Thailand don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine...or bribe or whatever... :)

This is the exact kind of harsh, over the top and inhumane sentence that would make me consider not gong to a country.

Exactly.

He should have stayed in the UK which is renowned for it`s soft approach on criminals and actually protects them, not wishing to contravene they`re human rights.

The message is: Foreign criminals and junkies, stay in your own countries.

The law is the law, if you commit a crime then do the time. I am a former criminal myself, I have no sympathy for these guys. He says it was for personal use. Well a drug dealer is only carrying a bunch of peoples personal use amounts so it doesnt matter.

Is Wilcox suffering from a terminal illness?

I will agree about drugs anywhere, I hate the stuff because this sh1t has caused big family problems on both continents for me.

I don't even care if drugs cause family problems or whatever, I just like hard line policies like this. No grey areas. I know the punishment is high enough to stay completly away from drugs in Asia. So if you get cought in Thailand with drugs then shame on you, you are a coward, you deserve it.

He'll have a more expensive choice of substance abuse and bigger friends in home environment

Also UK taxpayer can foot the bill got him hundreds of pounds aweek and legal aid no doubt while short changing ex sevicemen who retire here or OZ

An admitted drug user and supplier irresponsible enough to leave 2 mouths to feed

Perhaps Dave Cameron wil bring back capital punishment or increase his sentance to life.

England your welcome to him he was very lucky it wasnt Arabia or China

Thailands lack treaties corruption and ready supply encourages these people.Malasia greets you with a realistic sign like Iran

Death to Drug suppliers

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Quoting Maiziefarmer post 38....

"The OP was caught with a “small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis ……..”

1) Can the OP (or anyone else) clarify just exactly what the respective drug quantities were …..grams, kilos, or what …?"

According to the article I read, link supplied below, the man in question was caught with 25 grammes of class A.

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/...thailand55.html

Rubberjohnny, where did the article say the man was a SUPPLIER, the article from the OP said if I read correctly that he was an admitted user, so lets get the facts right before making such statements.

As for Cameron bringing back the death penalty, it wont happen so dream on.

"I just want the punishment to fit the crime."

Don't whine mate, just thank your lucky stars you're a UK citizen.

If you were from Nigeria or Nepal you would certainly be a lot worse off, 20 + years worse off !

Maigo6 you are long timer here,but you do not read about local life.You do not know much about life of Nigerians in LOS.

There are so many of them in LOS slammers,that they had to open embassy here,it was the main reason.

And - listen,listen - every few years they have air shuttle,which takes all of them to motherland - in one go.

I think,there were already three such charters.What happens to them after?What do you think?I give you

chance to win a beer,if you guess.One Singha only,because it is easy guess.

You can claim it from any Nigerian,they will buy you..

It amazes me that people are so sympathetic to these criminals. In the UK many OAPs can't afford to heat their homes in winter, and spend most of their time in bed. This <deleted> is in a place where he is fed and doesn't have to pay bills. If he was so concerned about his family he shouldn't have broken the law.

It amazes me that people are so sympathetic to these criminals. In the UK many OAPs can't afford to heat their homes in winter, and spend most of their time in bed. This <deleted> is in a place where he is fed and doesn't have to pay bills. If he was so concerned about his family he shouldn't have broken the law.

Over one third of UK pensioners now live abroad and successive UK Governments cheat them by freezing their State Pensions. In winter those that have stay put get frozen. Meanwhile Uncle Tom Cobley et al from wherever, who have contributed to screwing up their own countries but not the UK Social Security fund, and dickheads such as this guy, get it soft.

I have some sympathy in that removing him to the UK is a humane act; the open prison option is mollycoddling. Wandsworth, The Scrubs or Barlinnie would be my choice of accommodation. Furthermore an extended stay is warranted on account of his stupidity in using forbidden substances, especially in Thailand.

Edited by Bagwan

That's crazy! Why won't the British let him out?

Okay, I really am no fan of drugs, but 2020? This is a mans life?

I see your point when you compare it to the Lockerbie bomber.

But the guy did a crime in a country where they have decided upon a punishment.

Arguing on that is pointless.

I think he should first of all be happy to have been moved, before he start asking for early release.

Yes, but he's British and he's in Britain and not in this draconian . . . . anymore . . . . so what's the problem?

He has a child. He has a life. The British really need to learn to look after their own and stuff the rest of the world.

Exactly

Quoting Maiziefarmer post 38....
"The OP was caught with a "small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis …….."

1) Can the OP (or anyone else) clarify just exactly what the respective drug quantities were …..grams, kilos, or what …?"

According to the article I read, link supplied below, the man in question was caught with 25 grammes of class A.

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/...thailand55.html

He was supplying according to the court

While you may support use and supply of illegal substances dont get caught here.

Such behaviour is condoned in Netherlands some US states and widely ignored in UK but we are not there

I agree Cameron wont stop him forever but perhaps increase his sentanc will deter others

If hed been found with one spliff and paid up but travelling with a selecton seems like he got off light

I may be wrong I feel more sorry for the poor British pensioners who'll foot the bill for such people.

Also does little to improve Thai image of farangs here,where xenophobia is rising.Do you read the Thai press?

Rubberjohnny, where did the article say the man was a SUPPLIER, the article from the OP said if I read correctly that he was an admitted user, so lets get the facts right before making such statements.

As for Cameron bringing back the death penalty, it wont happen so dream on.

I thought he had his sentence reduced , it used to be Death, Drugs are drugs small or big , I have no sympathy, As usual if you cannot do the time don't do the crime.I came from a hard back ground, I am 55 i went to school and if i was a naughty boy i got leathered from my teachers , also if you got caught by the police you got belted. he then took you home and your father did the same. I have grown up with morals and values , I do not want to kill people or do bad things just because i was mentally scared when my gold fish died when i was 4.The sad thing is that the Public has to pay to keep idiots in luxury while old people struggle to live.

Lesson to be learnt- do not get caught for illegal " drugs" unless you have a good lawyer in Thailand.

And do we include 100 pipers , mild 7's etc, in the drug list or are legal drugs that do far more damage okay?

Such hypocrisy.

Isn't it time we all grew up ?

I tell you what is really dangerous- the total myth and ignorance surrounding them.

Drugs are not going away. They have been with us since day one- and will always be.

In fact they attend to a basic human need.

Laws that go against human nature are doomed to fail.

All world drug laws expect those in some European progressive nation have and will always fail

As has been said many times over the appeal of this sordid world is vast, the chance of going to jail small, tiny in fact.

The drugs law's here are at best banal.

They completely fail in every sense of the word. I do feel sorry for this gentleman, fortunately not everyone gets dealt with so harshly.

I thought he had his sentence reduced , it used to be Death, Drugs are drugs small or big , I have no sympathy, As usual if you cannot do the time don't do the crime.I came from a hard back ground, I am 55 i went to school and if i was a naughty boy i got leathered from my teachers , also if you got caught by the police you got belted. he then took you home and your father did the same. I have grown up with morals and values , I do not want to kill people or do bad things just because i was mentally scared when my gold fish died when i was 4.The sad thing is that the Public has to pay to keep idiots in luxury while old people struggle to live.

idiots?

I would include those who "belt" a young lad for being none other than a child and who have no sympathy for someone so obviously betrayed by a ridiculous legal system .

Its a shame your belting of which you seem almost proud did not teach you a little compassion.

Its not hard, it is igronance ,pure and simple and if proper law's were in place you would not need to be spending you hard earnt moneys.

Blame the law makers.

and those who belted you!

By the way, I am guessing you are from the UK where it now illegal to belt anyone. What was legal then is no loner legal now.

So, was it right to belt you then, but wrong now?

Do you see how stupid this whole way of thinking is?

It was once legal to take whatever one wanted until the USA ordered everyone to put law's into place thus ensuring that the worlds criminal syndicates would remain rich and in place.

Great state of affairs.