Leicester Dad Tells Of Battle To Cut Thai Drugs Sentence

churchill

A DAD jailed for 33 years for drug possession in Thailand has spoken from his prison cell about his “living hel_l” behind bars.

Steven Willcox, 45, revealed his heartbreak at never seeing his six year-old son, Oak, as a free man and of his hopes for a landmark legal ruling to reduce his harsh sentence.

The businessman, from Blaby, Leicestershire, was caged in a grimy Thai jail in 2003 after being caught with a small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis while working on the island of Koh Samui.

“The police were given my name by an acquaintance in Bangkok. They raided my house and found drugs that were for my personal use,” he said during an interview at Rye Hill prison, Warwickshire.

“I was thrown into a remand prison where I slept in a room with more than 60 other inmates on a hard stone floor. We were shoulder to shoulder; there wasn’t room to move. The guards gave batons to some of the other prisoners to carry out beatings and keep order.

“For the first eight months I was kept in heavy iron shackles and was terrified of getting sick, because in those conditions, if you get ill you will die.

“The complete isolation of the place was impossible to deal with. My lawyer barely spoke any English and when it came to court I had to plead guilty to distribution charges, which under Thai law I was guilty of.

‘‘They gave me a life sentence, even though they knew I wasn’t a drug dealer.”

Steven returned to Rye Hill in 2007 under a treaty which allows British prisoners to be repatriated after serving four years in Thailand.

But he will not be considered for release until 2020, even though he would have received just 12 months for similar drugs offences in Britain.

His appeal under the Human Rights Act was turned down by the High Court last month but his Thai wife, Lek, and mother Valerie have vowed to continue to petition the British Government.

Pregnant

“When I was in the remand prison I was visited by my wife every week. Even when she was eight months pregnant she would travel the length of the country from Koh Samui to Bangkok to see me,” he said.

“Though it was the only thing I had to look forward to each week, I was constantly worried about her. She was exhausted and eventually I had to stop her from coming because I feared it would damage her health.

“The feeling of powerlessness was overwhelming. There were times when I felt I was going insane.

“I found out about my son’s birth through an ambassadorial worker who came to visit me.

“He just started talking about my son as if I already knew, but I had no idea. It was a very strange way to find out that your child had been born.

“The first time I ever saw Oak, I was on a prison transport bus to the courthouse for a pretrial hearing. I looked out of the window and saw my wife cradling him in her arms.

‘‘It was an incredibly emotional experience, I can barely even talk about it now.

‘‘Being separated from them, and not watching my boy grow up is the hardest thing.”

Carla Riozzi, a lawyer for Leicester-based Moss Solicitors, says the Midlander’s legal team are preparing to take his case to the House of Lords and even the European courts if necessary.

“I want people to look at my case and make their minds up for themselves,” said Steven.

“After two years back in the UK and four years in jail over there my hope is starting to fade, but I’m trying desperately to keep it alive.

“I don’t deny that I was taking drugs, I had become addicted to amphetamines at a very stressful time in my life.

“But I never sold drugs and I was absolutely not involved in any sort of distribution.

“I just want the punishment to fit the crime.”

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands...66331-24742653/

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in the remand prison I was visited by my wife every week. Even when she was eight months pregnant she would travel the length of the country from Koh Samui to Bangkok to see me," he said.

Must have taken the scenic route.

Lesson to be learned... do not do drugs in thailand. :)

Also never annoy anyone who has low enough morals to buy enough drugs to set you up. How many people come into this category I wonder.

I'm guessing here but I reckon a couple of hundred pounds worth of any particular drug would be enough to get rid of someone for twenty-thirty years and there would be pretty much no way out of it either.

This is the exact kind of harsh, over the top and inhumane sentence that would make me consider not gong to a country.

come on now - all he said was ' must have taken the scenic route' :)

Not going to discuss whether the guy deserves the punishment or not.

But that remark was over his wife, 8 months pregnant, making the trip, each week.

If that is true, then maybe show some compassion, at least for the wife?

You think she she should have taken a private jet instead, right?

This is the exact kind of harsh, over the top and inhumane sentence that would make me consider not gong to a country.

But that remark was over his wife, 8 months pregnant, making the trip, each week.

I thought he was talking about the sentence the bloke had got for using drugs!

I thought he was talking about the sentence the bloke had got for using drugs!

Not sure about that one.

Im talking about the "scenic route" remark.

Lesson to be learned... do not do drugs in thailand. :)

Also never annoy anyone who has low enough morals to buy enough drugs to set you up. How many people come into this category I wonder.

I'm guessing here but I reckon a couple of hundred pounds worth of any particular drug would be enough to get rid of someone for twenty-thirty years and there would be pretty much no way out of it either.

Never happens, except in apocryphal stories. It's odd that when these 'my sentence is too tough' stories come up, the guys banged up always accept that they did, in fact, have the drugs.

That they expect the same lenient treatment they would get at home is more their fault, not Thailand's.

Everyone knows the penalties for drug related crimes in Thailand. Noone but a complete idiot goes anywhere near drugs in Thailand, or even anywhere near putting themselves in a situation to be near drugs. There is no excuse for not knowing.

Everyone knows the penalties for drug related crimes in Thailand.

This is true.

Bendix, where have you been ? The forum has become a bit stale lately, not many of the old timers posting, you, guesthouse, taxexile etc etc...

Anyway back on topic.. This guy should thank his lucky stars he is a UK citizen and actually has an agreement with Thailand, I'm quite sure he'd rather be in in Rye Hill than Bang Kwang.

http://www.hmpryehill.co.uk/index.htm

Thai people that are caught and many other nationalities are completely screwed.

It's odd that when these 'my sentence is too tough' stories come up, the guys banged up always accept that they did, in fact, have the drugs.

That they expect the same lenient treatment they would get at home is more their fault, not Thailand's.

IN a nutshell. I used to enjoy a bit of puff back home. Here? Not a chance. I've got a wife and daughter.

A DAD jailed for 33 years for drug possession in Thailand has spoken from his prison cell about his “living hel_l” behind bars.

Steven Willcox, 45, revealed his heartbreak at never seeing his six year-old son, Oak, as a free man and of his hopes for a landmark legal ruling to reduce his harsh sentence.

The businessman, from Blaby, Leicestershire, was caged in a grimy Thai jail in 2003 after being caught with a small amount of ecstasy, amphetamines and cannabis while working on the island of Koh Samui.

“The police were given my name by an acquaintance in Bangkok. They raided my house and found drugs that were for my personal use,” he said during an interview at Rye Hill prison, Warwickshire.

“I was thrown into a remand prison where I slept in a room with more than 60 other inmates on a hard stone floor. We were shoulder to shoulder; there wasn’t room to move. The guards gave batons to some of the other prisoners to carry out beatings and keep order.

“For the first eight months I was kept in heavy iron shackles and was terrified of getting sick, because in those conditions, if you get ill you will die.

“The complete isolation of the place was impossible to deal with. My lawyer barely spoke any English and when it came to court I had to plead guilty to distribution charges, which under Thai law I was guilty of.

‘‘They gave me a life sentence, even though they knew I wasn’t a drug dealer.”

Steven returned to Rye Hill in 2007 under a treaty which allows British prisoners to be repatriated after serving four years in Thailand.

But he will not be considered for release until 2020, even though he would have received just 12 months for similar drugs offences in Britain.

His appeal under the Human Rights Act was turned down by the High Court last month but his Thai wife, Lek, and mother Valerie have vowed to continue to petition the British Government.

Pregnant

“When I was in the remand prison I was visited by my wife every week. Even when she was eight months pregnant she would travel the length of the country from Koh Samui to Bangkok to see me,” he said.

“Though it was the only thing I had to look forward to each week, I was constantly worried about her. She was exhausted and eventually I had to stop her from coming because I feared it would damage her health.

“The feeling of powerlessness was overwhelming. There were times when I felt I was going insane.

“I found out about my son’s birth through an ambassadorial worker who came to visit me.

“He just started talking about my son as if I already knew, but I had no idea. It was a very strange way to find out that your child had been born.

“The first time I ever saw Oak, I was on a prison transport bus to the courthouse for a pretrial hearing. I looked out of the window and saw my wife cradling him in her arms.

‘‘It was an incredibly emotional experience, I can barely even talk about it now.

‘‘Being separated from them, and not watching my boy grow up is the hardest thing.”

Carla Riozzi, a lawyer for Leicester-based Moss Solicitors, says the Midlander’s legal team are preparing to take his case to the House of Lords and even the European courts if necessary.

“I want people to look at my case and make their minds up for themselves,” said Steven.

“After two years back in the UK and four years in jail over there my hope is starting to fade, but I’m trying desperately to keep it alive.

“I don’t deny that I was taking drugs, I had become addicted to amphetamines at a very stressful time in my life.

“But I never sold drugs and I was absolutely not involved in any sort of distribution.

“I just want the punishment to fit the crime.”

Tough he chose to take em.

Let me get out my violin and box of tissue...you're making me cry :)

Thanks for confirming I'm making you cry. I thought you were going to play Brahms concerto in D major and have a wank. :D

That 2nd movement Adagio does always bring tears to my eyes...I save the wanking for the finale of the 2nd...those last few bars have the propulsive energy that's just right :D

Everyone knows the penalties for drug related crimes in Thailand.

This is true.

Bendix, where have you been ? The forum has become a bit stale lately, not many of the old timers posting, you, guesthouse, taxexile etc etc...

Anyway back on topic.. This guy should thank his lucky stars he is a UK citizen and actually has an agreement with Thailand, I'm quite sure he'd rather be in in Rye Hill than Bang Kwang.

http://www.hmpryehill.co.uk/index.htm

Thai people that are caught and many other nationalities are completely screwed.

That's not a prison. I've paid to stay in worse places than that :)

That's not a prison. I've paid to stay in worse places than that :)

And he will go from ' B' Cat to 'D' Catagory....................

D Catagory = Open Prison. Kind of like Butlins holiday camp. but without the redcoats.

The best of luck to him, but he should not feel hard done by, he should be falling on his knees every night and thanking his higher power that he was born a UK citizen.

Edited by Maigo6

I think it was a joke - travelling 'the length of the country' to get to Bangkok from Samui. :D

Edited by endure

I think it was a joke - travelling 'the length of the country' to get to Bangkok from Samui. :D

A joke to some.

I still think it is remarkable if the wife, during the 8th month, traveled Samui-BKK-Samui weekly.

I still think it is remarkable if the wife, during the 8th month, traveled Samui-BKK-Samui weekly.

I quite agree. It is remarkable for anyone to travel that distance weekly to visit a man so stupid as to be involved in drugs in Thailand. Still, he's lucky. He could have been in Malaysia or Singapore.

A DAD jailed for 33 years for drug possession in Thailand has spoken from his prison cell about his "living hel_l" behind bars.

"The police were given my name by an acquaintance in Bangkok. They raided my house and found drugs that were for my personal use," he said during an interview at Rye Hill prison, Warwickshire.

"I was thrown into a remand prison where I slept in a room with more than 60 other inmates on a hard stone floor. We were shoulder to shoulder; there wasn't room to move. The guards gave batons to some of the other prisoners to carry out beatings and keep order.

"For the first eight months I was kept in heavy iron shackles and was terrified of getting sick, because in those conditions, if you get ill you will die.

"The complete isolation of the place was impossible to deal with. My lawyer barely spoke any English and when it came to court I had to plead guilty to distribution charges, which under Thai law I was guilty of.

''They gave me a life sentence, even though they knew I wasn't a drug dealer."

Pregnant

"When I was in the remand prison I was visited by my wife every week. Even when she was eight months pregnant she would travel the length of the country from Koh Samui to Bangkok to see me," he said.

"Though it was the only thing I had to look forward to each week, I was constantly worried about her. She was exhausted and eventually I had to stop her from coming because I feared it would damage her health.

"The feeling of powerlessness was overwhelming. There were times when I felt I was going insane.

"I found out about my son's birth through an ambassadorial worker who came to visit me.

"He just started talking about my son as if I already knew, but I had no idea. It was a very strange way to find out that your child had been born.

"The first time I ever saw Oak, I was on a prison transport bus to the courthouse for a pretrial hearing. I looked out of the window and saw my wife cradling him in her arms.

''It was an incredibly emotional experience, I can barely even talk about it now.

''Being separated from them, and not watching my boy grow up is the hardest thing."

Carla Riozzi, a lawyer for Leicester-based Moss Solicitors, says the Midlander's legal team are preparing to take his case to the House of Lords and even the European courts if necessary.

"I want people to look at my case and make their minds up for themselves," said Steven.

"After two years back in the UK and four years in jail over there my hope is starting to fade, but I'm trying desperately to keep it alive.

"I don't deny that I was taking drugs, I had become addicted to amphetamines at a very stressful time in my life.

"But I never sold drugs and I was absolutely not involved in any sort of distribution.

"I just want the punishment to fit the crime."

That's crazy! Why won't the British let him out?

Okay, I really am no fan of drugs, but 2020? This is a mans life?

What is wrong with that government, at the same time they let the Lockerbie bomber out on compassionate grounds.

A DAD jailed for 33 years for drug possession in Thailand has spoken from his prison cell about his "living hel_l" behind bars.

"The police were given my name by an acquaintance in Bangkok. They raided my house and found drugs that were for my personal use," he said during an interview at Rye Hill prison, Warwickshire.

"I was thrown into a remand prison where I slept in a room with more than 60 other inmates on a hard stone floor. We were shoulder to shoulder; there wasn't room to move. The guards gave batons to some of the other prisoners to carry out beatings and keep order.

"For the first eight months I was kept in heavy iron shackles and was terrified of getting sick, because in those conditions, if you get ill you will die.

"The complete isolation of the place was impossible to deal with. My lawyer barely spoke any English and when it came to court I had to plead guilty to distribution charges, which under Thai law I was guilty of.

''They gave me a life sentence, even though they knew I wasn't a drug dealer."

Pregnant

"When I was in the remand prison I was visited by my wife every week. Even when she was eight months pregnant she would travel the length of the country from Koh Samui to Bangkok to see me," he said.

"Though it was the only thing I had to look forward to each week, I was constantly worried about her. She was exhausted and eventually I had to stop her from coming because I feared it would damage her health.

"The feeling of powerlessness was overwhelming. There were times when I felt I was going insane.

"I found out about my son's birth through an ambassadorial worker who came to visit me.

"He just started talking about my son as if I already knew, but I had no idea. It was a very strange way to find out that your child had been born.

"The first time I ever saw Oak, I was on a prison transport bus to the courthouse for a pretrial hearing. I looked out of the window and saw my wife cradling him in her arms.

''It was an incredibly emotional experience, I can barely even talk about it now.

''Being separated from them, and not watching my boy grow up is the hardest thing."

Carla Riozzi, a lawyer for Leicester-based Moss Solicitors, says the Midlander's legal team are preparing to take his case to the House of Lords and even the European courts if necessary.

"I want people to look at my case and make their minds up for themselves," said Steven.

"After two years back in the UK and four years in jail over there my hope is starting to fade, but I'm trying desperately to keep it alive.

"I don't deny that I was taking drugs, I had become addicted to amphetamines at a very stressful time in my life.

"But I never sold drugs and I was absolutely not involved in any sort of distribution.

"I just want the punishment to fit the crime."

Because he's serving his Thai sentence in a UK prison. The alternative is for him to stay in a Thai gaol.

What is wrong with that government, at the same time they let the Lockerbie bomber out on compassionate grounds.

I see your point when you compare it to the Lockerbie bomber.

But the guy did a crime in a country where they have decided upon a punishment.

Arguing on that is pointless.

I think he should first of all be happy to have been moved, before he start asking for early release.

I think he should first of all be happy to have been moved, before he start asking for early release.

Yes, but he's British and he's in Britain and not in this draconian . . . . anymore . . . . so what's the problem?

He has a child. He has a life. The British really need to learn to look after their own and stuff the rest of the world.

Yes, but he's British and he's in Britain and not in this draconian . . . . anymore . . . . so what's the problem?

He has a child. He has a life. The British really need to learn to look after their own and stuff the rest of the world.

Again, I see your point (or argument).

But surely you know the answer to your own question about what is the problem.

If the Brits were to "change" all the sentences of their citizens they have received from other countries, the agreements about letting the British prisoners serve in England would be scrapped immediately.

What would be the point for the Thais to send him to England if the next thing they did was to say screw you to the Thais, and let him out sooner.

Again, I see your point (or argument).

But surely you know the answer to your own question about what is the problem.

If the Brits were to "change" all the sentences of their citizens they have received from other countries, the agreements about letting the British prisoners serve in England would be scrapped immediately.

What would be the point for the Thais to send him to England if the next thing they did was to say screw you to the Thais, and let him out sooner.

True. Very true. I just hope they have this guy in a (very) open prison, could they not use the excuse of electronic tagging and house arrest? Surely appeal can be made on this reasonably.

Stupid is as stupid does, mind you. Drugs in LOS? Yeah that was a great idea!

He has a child. He has a life.

He should have thought of that (and his pregnant wife) before he got involved in drugs in Thailand. If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for his wife.