Chiang Rai

• 3 weeks later...

be careful of prices quoted on the net. if there is one thing I have learned from living overseas is that prices get jacked up if you are a foreigner.

one of my friends had a house built on a rai of land outside of chiang mai a few years back for 700k baht.

chiang rai is much smaller than chiang mai.

foreigners are so gullible it makes me cringe. if I was evil, I could make a killing being a real estate agent here.

hey! anybody want to buy a piece of a royal temple? let me know. I'll give you a good deal.

I remember once about 6 years ago, I asked this girl if she knew of a place out in onnut area of bangkok which was cheap. she replied she knew of this place where they had small condos going for 600k baht. told her that I was interested. so, she said she would find out more info for me. being curious about the place, I asked another thai friend about this place, he replied that those places are selling for 300k baht.

so, I'm thinking, ...hmmmm. is my other friend trying to make some easy money for herself?

a fool and his money are soon departed. of course, if you don't mind being a fool....

be careful of prices quoted on the net.  if there is one thing I have learned from living overseas is that prices get jacked up if you are a foreigner.

one of my friends had a house built on a rai of land outside of chiang mai a few years back for 700k baht.

chiang rai is much smaller than chiang mai.

foreigners are so gullible it makes me cringe.  if I was evil, I could make a killing being a real estate agent here.

hey! anybody want to buy a piece of a royal temple?  let me know. I'll give you a good deal.

I remember once about 6 years ago, I asked this girl if she knew of a place out in onnut area of bangkok which was cheap.  she replied she knew of this place where they had small condos going for 600k baht.  told her that I was interested.  so, she said she would find out more info for me.  being curious about the place, I asked another thai friend about this place, he replied that those places are selling for 300k baht.

so, I'm thinking,  ...hmmmm.  is my other friend trying to make some easy money for herself?

a fool and his money are soon departed.  of course, if you don't mind being a fool....

Yep seen it got the Tee shirt, More then likely what I will do is find something I have some interest in, stay out of the way and let the wife handle things, My favorite story on the site was a farrang who did just that, after the house was finished and the builder found out a farrang was involved he wanted to add 500K to the price didn't work and the guy got a fair deal.

I'm putting in a full year of reseach before I do anything and that is my minimum.

I was looking at a place with a two bedroom house on it 12 ria, 10 in rubber trees, didn't really like what I was seeing so I passed. Stopped for lunch 3 KMs from the place. on the same road asked the going price per ria in the area, was told 1 mil a ria. Things are genreally over priced for thier true value. For that reason I would pass on most anything I saw unless it was a fair deal, not neccesarily a good deal. but minimum standards a fair deal.

30 Kms from there 20K a ria, but I have no idea if I want to live in that area, so it is filed away for future reference.

Patience and knowledge are imparitive in dealing with things here, walking away and looking for a different thing is important.

Rigth now I pay $70.00 a month for a brand new two bedroom two bath house and unlike the other Thai landlords I have had, this one is not bothering me. I'm very happy with what I have. I can't own land here and that is just how it is. Therefore this is for the wifes future, not mine. If things are right I will do it for her, but only if they are. Anything I put in it will never become mine, nor do I have anything to gain personally for myself. No blinders on, if I can't afford to lose it I won't do it.

But thanks for the sound advice.