Aus Visa Application (non) Service

Just to add my thoughts to the above, 5 hours and 10 minutes to lodge an ETA, now Ive been told up to a 15 day wait for the visa, I cant believe that its going to take me more time to get a visa than to fly to Sydney

Why did you go to the embassy to lodge an ETA?

If your nationality entitles you to apply for an ETA, you can usually just apply on the web page for it. (No paper visa, no wait, no hassle). At least, assuming you have a credit card...

Bigger question is maybe why Thailand isn't one of the eligible countries, or at least why Thais who've already received a paper Visa in the past can't simply get an ETA for further visits?

Alternatively, Australia is racist. After all, the family went to the US for a two week holiday last year, and the US embassy gave my wife a 10-year multi-entry visa. We went to Sydney for a week in November, and she got a 3 month single-entry. Even the UK gave my mother-in-law a 2-year multi-entry visa, and they're paranoid...

Not the embassy, VFS (Virtual F*&^ING Service), due to the fact that the Web page wouldnt accept my registration, "Sorry you need to have an interview, by the way we have charged you $20 for this"

Oh and still waiting for the passport and Visa, now up to 11 days since application was put in

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add my thoughts to the above, 5 hours and 10 minutes to lodge an ETA, now Ive been told up to a 15 day wait for the visa, I cant believe that its going to take me more time to get a visa than to fly to Sydney

Why did you go to the embassy to lodge an ETA?

If your nationality entitles you to apply for an ETA, you can usually just apply on the web page for it. (No paper visa, no wait, no hassle). At least, assuming you have a credit card...

Bigger question is maybe why Thailand isn't one of the eligible countries, or at least why Thais who've already received a paper Visa in the past can't simply get an ETA for further visits?

Alternatively, Australia is racist. After all, the family went to the US for a two week holiday last year, and the US embassy gave my wife a 10-year multi-entry visa. We went to Sydney for a week in November, and she got a 3 month single-entry. Even the UK gave my mother-in-law a 2-year multi-entry visa, and they're paranoid...

Not the embassy, VFS (Virtual F*&^ING Service), due to the fact that the Web page wouldnt accept my registration, "Sorry you need to have an interview, by the way we have charged you $20 for this"

Oh and still waiting for the passport and Visa, now up to 11 days since application was put in

OK - The website not accepting the application happened to someone I know in the UK once.

Turns out he had the same name and date of birth as someone that Australia had deported so they had to confirm he wasn't the same person.

But that was done in the UK - and it meant a couple of days extra wait by the time they saw him, and sent his photo to Oz to compare with the person they deported, and got the answer back. but literally, it was a couple of days...

But then, travelling on a British passport, I must admit that Australia is the only country I've been to where I actually had to get a visa for a trip under 30 days... (Maybe Oz isn't racist - they just treat everyone badly).

I must admit, it only took a couple of days to get a tourist visa for my wife at the Oz embassy last year, so it sounds like the new service is a downgrade...

Hi

As I said, i applied on 17 of march and got my visa on 30-march, 9 working days.

I think if your documents are completed, you will get it in a few day.

Regards,

Arai_Na

Edited by Arai_Na

Compared to an ETA (for most people - unless you're unlucky and someone else with your name and date of birth is persona non grata) - is a matter of 5 minutes on a web page, and is 600 baht for a 1 year multi-entry (3 months at a time) visa, the process for Thais seems expensive, time-consuming, and a waste of paper... (a 9 page form is ridiculous for each member of a family on a holiday to fill in).

(Sorry - wife decided at the last minute that WB Movie world on the gold coast might be a good place to go for Songkran... - British passport holders in the house - not an issue - ETA done and dusted in 5 minutes... Thai passport holders (wife, stepdaughter and 13-yo niece who's also on holiday) - it's a morning spent in the visa centre. Form 48R is ridiculous for a child to go on a 4 day trip to a theme park. (Maybe it's one reason why Disney chose to go to Hong Kong - despite the Gold Coast already being a mini-Orlando with Sea World, Wet'n'wild, etc.)

And we have to hope that the visa gets issued in time to go during Songkran. Otherwise, next school holidays are July, and although the ETAs are valid for a year, the 3 month visa's issued on the Thai passports will have almost expired.

(and Australia wondered why they didn't get more tourists after the Olympics - they don't exactly go out of their way to welcome them...)

Admittedly - I actually preferred the service in the new visa centre today to the old service at the embassy. (i.e. I didn't have to leave and go across the road to get a banker's draft, although it's very odd to go to one window to pay cash for a cheque, then we ended up at the next window handing in the cheques...). However, I do think Thai's aren't exactly getting a fair deal. paying more for a visa that is more hassle and doesn't last as long doesn't seem particularly fair - especially when Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore can all use the ETA...

Edited by bkk_mike

Sh%#*it

I wish I had read this topic before my wife went to apply for a visa. (The kids and I are all on electronic visas)

Unfortunately I did not. Last couple of years she received her visa same day in the afternoon. This time she showed up and was told to go to the Vfs??? center.

She went through all the hassles described in previous messages. This was on 30th March. We are supposed to fly on 10th April, but as of now, still no visa.

Domestic Australian tickets and hotels are prepaid, and some not refundable.

I have called every minute of the 3 last afternoons, getting only busy signals.

After 1630 you get through to an answering machine saying something like

"THANK YOU FOR CALLING THE AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY- YOU ARE BEING DISCONNECTED.""

I have sent them a fax every day, but with no response.

It is 12 noon now, last working day before we fly. I sit in Pattaya, and even if they should call me now, it may well be to late to go to Bangkok to collect.

So much for the 3-5 working days as stated on their web site.

I feel for you, mine was submitted on March 24th, and still not processed, Australia trip put on hold, Im just hoping for my flight down to Samui tommorow morning is OK with a photocopy of my passport and valid work visa and letter from Australian Embassy will be ok

No visas can be applied for at the embassy.

I started this topic after the fiasco at the vfs.

Well eventually my fiance missed her flight. I rang the embassy on the morning we were meant to leave, begged to speak to someone, put thru, told someone would ring me back soon. I rang back two and a half hours later, only to be told everyone was at lunch. Rang again three quarters of an hour later, told that visa hadn't been processed, told I was stupid for buying a ticket, told me not to ring again cos "how could they get any work done." She said to rebook the air ticket for a week later and baulked at giving her name but I insisted. Rescheduled the flight and jumped in a taxi to the airport. Less than 30 minutes after speaking to her, my fiance gets a call from the embassy while were going down the expressway to say her visa has been granted.

Of course we were happy that it was granted (tho' we expected that because she'd had one previously) but I just could not believe it....they were just taking the piss.

So my fiance had to come by herself the next day and of course immigration gave her grief at the airport. An officer came out to me in the concourse and asked me all sorts of questions but the killer was when she asked "well why didn't she travel with you yesterday?" I bit my tongue but I WAS ROPABLE.

The embassy is a joke and a disgrace and NOTHING will convince me otherwise....and of course all the appropriate letters are being sent to the appropriate people but I don't think they care less.

If I ever get the opportunity to support enquiries/wage cuts/investigations into the service by politicains I will be behind it 100%

Sporting Dog, My family were going to visit me in Thailand, but it turnd out my Mother is sick so she annot come. No worries as we were going to visit her in July. My wife has visted several times already as has my daughter. If this is what it takes to get back to Australia then I will not go through it. I can't believe it has gone from a 2-3 hour ordeal at the embassy to what you and others have described :D

If anyone wants to start a petition of sorts to send to the relevant authority I will be the first to sign and help out.

Going from 2-3 hours to this is not acceptable.

We just won't go there again. :o

I am known for being Jai Rorn and will find this experience too much to cope with.

:D:D:D

Furthermore, as you say when you get to the other end you are treated as a criminal and have to prove yourself innocent.

Even me as an Aussie citizen I have all sorts of problems upon arrival in Perth.

Tested for drug residue, thoroughly searched etc etc it happens every time. Do A search and I was complaining about this a year and half ago too.

Not good enough Australia :o

as I say, pom jai rorn :D

as I said b4 we dont need a petition we need some sort of media exposure, vandslob is under a lot of pressure now and the timing is right for this sort of thing, maybe a polly would do the job for us.

any ideas??

Niece had her visitor visa refused again, she may as well give up now, but I won't.

Vandstone is under a lot of pressure, from the media and demonstrators now so any of you guys with a beef I suggest letters to the editor and contacting current affairs programs in Oz. It's newsworthy at the moment and good mileage to be had.

PM me if interested in putting up a collective front.

Handy Mandy is a toughie Bronc.

Is that the fat, arrogant bitch defending the detention centers at Woomera I have seen on TV?

I don't know what it's like in Aussie, but in NZ, if you complain to your local MP and minister and Head of Immigration dept. etc and go through the correct channels....the pricks do get sorted.If you go hard enough and don't let go..they get what is called a Ministerial Enquiry.When this happens these public servants (Either Customs and /or Immigration) shit them selves no end.Most of them are scared of authority....

If you also slip in the word racism..that can go along way too in our little PC world.

This probably doesn't help you guys, but I for one have had enough of pissant public servants treating thier "customers" like <deleted>. I have a mate that always asks for a Customs/Immigrations name and badge number at the hint of any <deleted> going down.more than a few of these pricks that have been asked have taken a backward step.

They should all take a leaf out of China,s book. Five minutes at Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai to drop off application ,passport and fee,, then pick up stamped passport following day,,,extremely efficient and courtious service. :o

we have a woman with the initials GJ who still seems to be ruling the roost at the new venue

as a collective we have a voice, as individuals, we are a whisper.

Udon you are pretty close to the mark, Beasley is probably looking to score points against slobstone

As a matter of courtesy, I'd include our new ambassador in any contact with Beazley and Fergy.

He has no real controle over the plicks in Immi but it may be PC to keep him in the frame.

After all, the problem is on his patch.

Doc might have his email address. :o

we have a woman with the initials GJ who still seems to be ruling the roost at the new venue

as a collective we have a voice, as individuals, we are a whisper.

Udon you are pretty close to the mark, Beasley is probably looking to score points against slobstone

Beagle happens to be my local member (if I still lived there).

Any suggestions?

They should all take a leaf out of China,s book. Five minutes at Chinese consulate in Chiang Mai to drop off application ,passport and fee,, then pick up stamped passport following day,,,extremely efficient and courtious service.    :o

Or Thailand's even. It's 2 days to get a visa for Thailand.

I have come to the conclusion that Oz doesn't want tourists (or at least, they don't want Thai tourists anyway). If they did, they wouldn't have this mess.

It takes longer to get a tourist visa for Oz than anywhere else. (And my wife and stepdaughter have UK, Schengen and US visas in their passports, and still we haven't heard back - they're supposed to be flying on Thursday. Have told the kids if the visas don't come through in time that they can go over Visakha Bucha day next month instead, lose a couple of days of school, but at least they'll get to go - hopefully...)

It takes longer to get a tourist visa for Oz than anywhere else. (And my wife and stepdaughter have UK, Schengen and US visas in their passports, and still we haven't heard back - they're supposed to be flying on Thursday. Have told the kids if the visas don't come through in time that they can go over Visakha Bucha day next month instead, lose a couple of days of school, but at least they'll get to go - hopefully...)

I'm going to stop complaining. Got the visas today, in time for the flights on Thursday. - so everythings fine...

Kids get to go to a couple of theme parks before going back to school next Wednesday. (and I get to telecommute in relative peace...)

Maybe as a collective we could all email him

I have just got back from my last trip to LOS and my gf second tourist visa refusal, I must admit for our first application last month I hadn't done my homework (not been to this forum), we inclueded a letter from myself offering to pay for her trip and support her while visiting Perth, she had 150,000 baht in her bank but not much of a job a housekeeper in a tour and internet shop in Phuket paying 7k a month, she was refused on the grounds they did not belive she would return to Thailand.

So after reading all I could on this forum and others I flew back over 3 weeks ago

but this time with a stat dec my bank accounts( showing assets of $1,600,000) a letter explaining our whole relationship and the family reasons why she would return to Thailand, phone bills ect ect ect. But I think that the timing was against us as we lodged the application on the 30th Mar and was told they had 1700 applications in the last 2 days, we did finaly get the result on the 11th but i feel they didn't even look at all our stuff, being so busy just sent us the identical rejection letter we recieved the last time.

On Monday I look into which Polly to contact as I think only will more presure from uptop do we have a chance.

Amazing how hard it is just to get your gf hear for holiday :o

Nothing's changed, they still don't do any follow up on subsequent applications.

My niece is a genuine case for a tousist visa and they simply refuse to look further than they did originally.

I really think once they have been refused a couple of times, the name is flagged and they will never be admitted to Oz.

Where to from here????? :o