Aus Visa Application (non) Service

Went to the Aus Visa Application Centre Today. What a joke...5hrs just to lodge the application. At least when it was at the embassy a decision was able to be made on the day. The place was packed, half the people there had to stand up as there weren't enough seats, the air conditioning couldn't cope - you wouldn't dare run a service like that in Australia.

As an Australian it was an embarassment - the businessman sitting behind had been there 4 hours, and missed most of his work for the day.

When we spoke to the first girl (three step process) she said the visa might be ready in a week and a half when we are scheduled to leave but "we are very busy and the embassy is shut on Friday and its peak season so it might not be ready and you might have to change your flight!!" She told us to use the passport tracking service on their website to find out when to come and pick up the passport. I informed that it's a rare day when the website even works!! "oh well it works sometimes, for some people" she said. :o

Its a disgrace that the embassy has out-sourced the visa application service and its downright bad management to not ensure that it runs properly...the real killer is that you have to pay 428baht service fee to use the service....and to pay that fee took 1 more hour of waitng after going thru all the other procedures.

Maybe the ambassador should go down there un-announced and incognito so he can see what a bad reflection the place is on Australia.....after all it's his name on the commemorative plaque on the wall.

:D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a shame to hear about what was supposed to be a help not a hinderance to aquiring a visa. Im sure that if other disgruntled users of this service sent emails to the embassy informing them of their displeasure and complaints something might get done. The more emails sent might get the public servants off their backsides and getting the system fixed.

Just goes to show the incompetancies of the Australian government aren't just confined to their shores.

Truly bad situation.

the fees i would suspect more than cover the hire costs of competent staff.

Jeez even aussie staff at that rate ,given the amount of applications they get.

I am sure plenty of aussies would love a job there and be a lot more sympathetic than those condescending "educated" bitches currently on the counter.

Thats a shame to hear about what was supposed to be a help not a hinderance to aquiring a visa.  Im sure that if other disgruntled users of this service sent emails to the embassy informing them of their displeasure and complaints something might get done.  The more emails sent might get the public servants off their backsides and getting the system fixed.

Just goes to show the incompetancies of the Australian government aren't just confined  to their shores.

Truly bad situation.

the fees i would suspect more than cover the hire costs of competent staff.

Jeez even aussie staff at that rate ,given the amount of applications they get.

I am sure plenty of aussies would love a job there and be a lot more sympathetic than those condescending "educated" bitches currently on the counter.

Thats a shame to hear about what was supposed to be a help not a hinderance to aquiring a visa.  Im sure that if other disgruntled users of this service sent emails to the embassy informing them of their displeasure and complaints something might get done.  The more emails sent might get the public servants off their backsides and getting the system fixed.

Just goes to show the incompetancies of the Australian government aren't just confined  to their shores.

Send those emails to Tubby Vanstone and John Howard. The Embassy couldn't give a rats.

The problem isn't so much the attitude of the staff - only one had the "<deleted> you, thats the way it is" attitude - but the system itself.

You arrive and get a number to see an enquiry officer who checks that you have filled out the form correctly and have any other documents. She puts all your stuff in a little canvas satchel and gives you an invoice for the visa fee. We waited nearly four hours to see this person - only 3 on duty, 1 dealt with tourist agents I think.

We then went to the cashier, paid the visa fee and were given a cheque made out to the embassy to put in our little satchel. This took 10 minutes.

Then we waited over an hour to see the third person who we gave our satchel to, with the cheque to the embassy and paid the 428 baht service fee. We were then given an invoice/receipt which must be presented to be able to collect the passport. Passports can only be collected after 3pm and many people were still waiting their turn at 5.30pm...so I guess it will be another long wait in a few days time.

The whole system is like something out of Yes Minister, why all the fees can't be paid in one go is beyond me. There were a lot of staff at the place but not a lot of productive work happening.

The thais (the majority) waiting did so without a lot of consternation (but then I can't understand thai, so maybe a few were pissed off) but the farangs were all shaking their heads in amazement/anger/embarassment.

ANd yes I intend to write to my local MP and the minister when I get back to Oz.

Seems a very thai way of organising a process!!

Definitely not enough experienced and well trained interviewers from an experince i had three years ago.

Always staggering when you walk in there how many anxious looking falangs hanging round waiting to be be vilified,embarrassed,humiliated,frustrated and generaly treated like a third class citizen.

:o

The problem isn't so much the attitude of the staff - only one had the "<deleted> you, thats the way it is" attitude - but the system itself.

You arrive and get a number to see an enquiry officer who checks that you have filled out the form correctly and have any other documents. She puts all your stuff in a little canvas satchel and gives you an invoice for the visa fee. We waited nearly four hours to see this person - only 3 on duty, 1 dealt with tourist agents I think.

We then went to the cashier, paid the visa fee and were given a cheque made out to the embassy to put in our little satchel. This took 10 minutes.

Then we waited over an hour to see the third person who we gave our satchel to, with the cheque to the embassy and paid the 428 baht service fee. We were then given an invoice/receipt which must be presented to be able to collect the passport. Passports can only be collected after 3pm and many people were still waiting their turn at 5.30pm...so I guess it will be another long wait in a few days time.

The whole system is like something out of Yes Minister, why all the fees can't be paid in one go is beyond me. There were a lot of staff at the place but not a lot of productive work happening.

The thais (the majority) waiting did so without a lot of consternation (but then I can't understand thai, so maybe a few were pissed off) but the farangs were all shaking their heads in amazement/anger/embarassment.

ANd yes I intend to write to my local MP and the minister when I get back to Oz.

I sent them a email and this is the reply that i received .

Dear MrXXXXXXX

I wish to thank you for your time to provide us the information regarding

our new services in Bangkok. On behalf of the Department of Immigration and

Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs which committed to ensuring that all

of its clients receive an efficient standard of service, your feed back is

most appreciated as it will help us in making the changes needed to

improve our client service.

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

First Secretary (Immigration)

DIMIA Bangkok

Cant believe they outsourced this function as per prev poster??

That deal should have gone to tender,I wonder who got it...maybe they can be got at.

Dear MrXXXXXXX

Multicultural and  Indigenous Affairs which committed to ensuring that all

most appreciated as it will help us in making  the changes needed to

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

DIMIA Bangkok

Sawasdee Ka,

In my case, i appiled visa on March 17 at VFS. Waited 2 hours inside SMALL office. So i decided to use the Courier to return my passport. It is charged 140 baht extra. :D:D

I was told to check the result by phone or tracking the passport number within 3-5 working day after lodging application. Today (24-03-05), I called to VFS and i was told to recheck it again on next Monday. Because tomorrow is holiday. :D My flight is on 8 of April but i want to issue ticket within this month. Because the airfare will be raised up in next month as high season. :o

Hope my visa will get approval on next Monday. If not, hmm.. no choice for me. WAITING AND WAITING

p.s. first post here, Hello everyone :D

Cheers !

Arai_Na

Dear MrXXXXXXX

Multicultural and  Indigenous Affairs which committed to ensuring that all

most appreciated as it will help us in making  the changes needed to

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

DIMIA Bangkok

Haha! I think thats a very long winded way of saying "screw you - we don't give a sh*t"

Seems a very thai way of organising a process!!

Yes that may be so BUT the Australian Govt is, at the end of the day, responsible for the situation and they are the ones who need the "boot up the date." They should ensure that the system functions adequately...and not wait until they get 'X' amount of complaints. All it takes is a few random visits to see the system is a mess....a bit of sub-contractor oversight, surely it's not that difficult a concept, even for the bureaucrats holidaying at the embassy.

Edited by Sporting Dog

I would have thought that the signing of a Free Trade Agreement by the Prime Minister of Thailand Thaksin Shinawatra and the Prime Minister of Australia John Howard on July 5 last year would have meant benefits for both countries.

I can phone my travel agent now, book and pay for a return Perth-Bangkok-Perth on Thai Airways, go to Perth International Airport NOW and be on TG988 departing at 1.30am tomorrow and be in Bangkok at 7.30am in time for breakfast. No need for a visa. I can stay for up to 30 days in LOS.

Why is it so hard for my Thai partner to visit me in Australia?

I don't see any real benefits from the FTA apart from being able to buy some Thai fruit such as mangosteens at the supermarket?

Give me a break please, Mr Prime Ministers.

Peter

the leopoards still havnt changed their spots, they are still a bunch of aholes with gemma jackson is still calling the shots from behind the scenes.

nothing has changed it's gotten worse, so if you are reading this gemma get your act together. :o:D

Even the name suggests carreerist femme public servant ,with gonads.

Why did they ever get called public servants,seems they dont do much serving of the public.

the leopoards still havnt changed their spots, they are still a bunch of aholes with gemma jackson is still calling the shots from behind the scenes.

nothing has changed it's gotten worse, so if you are reading this gemma get your act together. :o  :D

It's a bit late for that :D

Niece had her visitor visa refused again, she may as well give up now, but I won't.

Vandstone is under a lot of pressure, from the media and demonstrators now so any of you guys with a beef I suggest letters to the editor and contacting current affairs programs in Oz. It's newsworthy at the moment and good mileage to be had.

PM me if interested in putting up a collective front.

Niece had her visitor visa refused again, she may as well give up now, but I won't.

Vandstone is under a lot of pressure, from the media and demonstrators now so any of you guys with a beef I suggest letters to the editor and contacting current affairs programs in Oz. It's newsworthy at the moment and good mileage to be had.

PM me if interested in putting up a collective front.

Handy Mandy is a toughie Bronc.

Experienced the Visa Application Centre first hand last Monday (21st) as well. Thinking to myself what an absolute disgrace it is.

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that although the centre is open until 5pm, you can't lodge an application after 2.30pm! The time after 2.30 is used to return passports.

Contacted the embassy itself about the lack of service and was told "there are a lot of teething problems....". Can only HOPE that things improve!

I have been doing a bit of research during the Easter break. Every nationality (read passport holders) EXCEPT New Zealanders needs a visa to visit Australia.

Only 0.5 per cent of all people arriving on temporary visas, or

around 20,000 people, overstay; and most overstayers only overstay in Australia for a few days.

I am unable (to date) to find the number of Thai people who visit Australia who overstay, but they are NOT in the top 10 nationalities.

So - why does a Thai national NEED a visa to visit Australia? That's the question I will be asking the Royal Thai Consulate in Perth on Tuesday when they re-open.

Watch this space.

Peter

Its all to do with the supposed prostitution,sex slave racquets.,its got quite high level political attention.

Anyone knows this is pretty much old news.

They have picked on Thais particularly girls for years,and its equally hard to get a Pino gal in for the same reasons.

Most people in that scene know Its the Chinese and Koreans that run that game now.

I think the No1 overstayers in the Uk are Poms.

I did see a list the other day from NZ that thai overstayers there came in at NO8 with around 1000.

I have been doing a bit of research during the Easter break. Every nationality (read passport holders) EXCEPT New Zealanders needs a visa to visit Australia.

around 20,000 people, overstay; and  most overstayers only overstay in Australia for a few days.

I am unable (to date) to find the number of Thai people who visit Australia who overstay, but they are NOT in the top 10 nationalities.

So - why does a Thai national NEED a visa to visit Australia? That's the question I will be asking the Royal Thai Consulate in Perth on Tuesday when they re-open.

Watch this space.

Peter

From what I can gather the visa service provided by the embassy has been criticised for a long time. The fact that nothing really changes at an operational level seems to indicate a lack of will from those further up the food-chain to improve things. Call me cynical, but maybe the White Australia Policy hasn't completely died out amongst the mandarins at the Commonwealth Public Service.(particularly given the stats that thais aren't a big overstay problem).

Dont know about the white aust thing

Seems its a lot easier for Middle Easterners and Chinese thats for sure.

From what I can gather the visa service provided by the embassy has been criticised for a long time. The fact that nothing really changes at an operational level seems to indicate a lack of will from those further up the food-chain to improve things. Call me cynical, but maybe the White Australia Policy hasn't completely died out amongst the mandarins at the Commonwealth Public Service.(particularly given the stats that thais aren't a big overstay problem).

Its all to do with the supposed prostitution,sex slave racquets.,its got quite high level political attention.

They have picked on Thais particularly girls for years,and its equally hard to get a Pino gal in for the  same reasons.

Most people in that scene know Its the Chinese and Koreans that run that game now.

I think the No1 overstayers in the Uk are Poms.I did see a list the other day from NZ that thai overstayers there came in at NO8 with around 1000.

around 20,000 people, overstay; and  most overstayers only overstay in Australia for a few days.

Watch this space.

Peter

How can a Pom overstay in the UK?????

Watch this space.

Peter

And just for good measure Peter, I'll ask the cashier at Tesco Lotus on Rama 4 why is that Thai's need visa's for Australia, given both have about the same level of influence in deciding Australian immigration policy. :o

Whoops point

my mistake

As you can guess I meant Poms overstaying in AUS.

They have picked on Thais particularly girls for years,and its equally hard to get a Pino gal in for the  same reasons.

I think the No1 overstayers in the Uk are Poms.I did see a list the other day from NZ that thai overstayers there came in at NO8 with around 1000.

Watch this space.

Peter

My apologies to the Pommies

Heres the list from the Dima site

The 10 passport holders most frequently located by the department in the period 1 July 2003 to 30 June 2004 were:

Country Locations

China, PRC 2716

Indonesia 1909

Korea, Republic of 1195

United Kingdom 1018

India 990

Fiji 859

Malaysia 800

Thailand 759

HKSAR of the PRC 648

Philippines 567

Whoops point

my mistake

As you can guess I meant Poms overstaying in AUS.

Watch this space.

Peter

Just to add my thoughts to the above, 5 hours and 10 minutes to lodge an ETA, now Ive been told up to a 15 day wait for the visa, I cant believe that its going to take me more time to get a visa than to fly to Sydney

Why did you go to the embassy to lodge an ETA?

If your nationality entitles you to apply for an ETA, you can usually just apply on the web page for it. (No paper visa, no wait, no hassle). At least, assuming you have a credit card...

Bigger question is maybe why Thailand isn't one of the eligible countries, or at least why Thais who've already received a paper Visa in the past can't simply get an ETA for further visits?

Alternatively, Australia is racist. After all, the family went to the US for a two week holiday last year, and the US embassy gave my wife a 10-year multi-entry visa. We went to Sydney for a week in November, and she got a 3 month single-entry. Even the UK gave my mother-in-law a 2-year multi-entry visa, and they're paranoid...

Edited by bkk_mike

Just to add my thoughts to the above, 5 hours and 10 minutes to lodge an ETA, now Ive been told up to a 15 day wait for the visa, I cant believe that its going to take me more time to get a visa than to fly to Sydney

Why did you go to the embassy to lodge an ETA?

If your nationality entitles you to apply for an ETA, you can usually just apply on the web page for it. (No paper visa, no wait, no hassle). At least, assuming you have a credit card...

Bigger question is maybe why Thailand isn't one of the eligible countries, or at least why Thais who've already received a paper Visa in the past can't simply get an ETA for further visits?

Alternatively, Australia is racist. After all, the family went to the US for a two week holiday last year, and the US embassy gave my wife a 10-year multi-entry visa. We went to Sydney for a week in November, and she got a 3 month single-entry. Even the UK gave my mother-in-law a 2-year multi-entry visa, and they're paranoid...

Thai's have a big history of overstay and working illegally in Australia and New Zealand.