Aus Visa Application (non) Service

Going back to the original post - I think the 5 hours was only because he applied a few weeks before Songkran, which basically meant it was packed with Thais wanting to go to Oz for a holiday, resulting in long queues.

When I went to the VFS office a little over a week later, it was only about 20 minutes before we saw the first person, who checked the application. (Form 48R - downloaded and printed off the Internet). It took a while to check, as we had 3 application forms, but went OK.

Queue to get the cheques was OK - 5 minutes or so. (This was better than before where you had to arrange a counter check yourself, or leave the embassy, walk across the road to Bank Thai, and get one there, and walk back to the embassy and rejoin the end of the queue.)

Then we waited about 20 minutes for our number to be called, to hand in the cheques, applications, and "processing fee". In total, we were in and out in around 2 hours.

However, the difference between the process now, and the process before January is the new processing fee, making it more expensive, and the fact that, where in the past, you could get a visa in a day or two, it now takes a week.

Personally - the new process was LESS painful than going to the embassy in the past, but more expensive, as far as submitting the application was concerned. However, the wait for the visa took several days longer, and I ended up being asked into the embassy for more supporting paperwork anyway, so what's the point of the VFS service?

And every time I've gone to the embassy, they've taken my passport, and checked my ETA, before then issuing the visas... (wasn't sure of the relevance on the current trip, as I wasn't travelling, just the wife, kids and our niece.)

Edited by bkk_mike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you're right - it was busy because of Songkran and Easter BUT many of the facilities were under-utilised, staff were chatting behind the counters etc., Besides everyone knows that it gets busy over that period and takes it into account - more staff or longer hours are worked. I don't think it is too much to expect the embassy and its private contractor to operate to normal business practices.

And it still doesn't excuse the telephone calls not being returned, the telephone/emails not being answered etc etc.

They've lost me.

Its all to do with the supposed prostitution,sex slave racquets.,its got quite high level political attention.

Anyone knows this is pretty much old news.

They have picked on Thais particularly girls for years,and its equally hard to get a Pino gal in for the same reasons.

Most people in that scene know Its the Chinese and Koreans that run that game now.

I think the No1 overstayers in the Uk are Poms.

I did see a list the other day from NZ that thai overstayers there came in at NO8 with around 1000.

The Noo Zelanders are the longest overstayers in Australia by far :o

Its all to do with the supposed prostitution,sex slave racquets.,its got quite high level political attention.

They have picked on Thais particularly girls for years,and its equally hard to get a Pino gal in for the same reasons.

Most people in that scene know Its the Chinese and Koreans that run that game now.

I did see a list the other day from NZ that thai overstayers there came in at NO8 with around 1000.

The Poms are the largest overstayer group in Australia. It'd the sheep shaggers but they are allowed to stay indefinitely

The Poms are the largest overstayer group in Australia. It'd the sheep shaggers but they are allowed to stay indefinitely

That's the problem with NZ as well.

The problem with the Aussie, is now they are calling any Kiwi good at sport an Australian :D

And it still doesn't excuse the telephone calls not being returned, the telephone/emails not being answered etc etc.

They've lost me.

I'll agree with you there...

The phone number that the embassy told us to use is a matter of an automated response telling you to phone back between 2:30 and 4:30. When you do, you go through the voice menu, then at the end, oddly enough, there is an EXTREMELY long wait before someone answers the phone. (i.e. 15-20 minutes of silence, no hold music, no "please wait, you are number 14 in the queue", - total silence, so you start to think that the line has been dropped...). After 10 minutes waiting on my mobile, I hung up and switched to a land line so that it would only cost 3 baht, and I could put it on speaker rather than hold the handset to my ear...

And even though I'd said on all the applications that I wanted to be contacted by email, they only emailed in the end to let me try emailing scanned copies of the documents that didn't fax OK, and then only because I'd suggested that on the phone. (Faxes for god sake - do they think we're still in the 80s or something).

And why are the Australian embassy visa forms not available as fillable forms. Surely it would then allow them to simply scan a barcode, where at the moment, they probably have to enter all the information on the visa forms into a computer manually (or are they so out-of-date that the paper copies are filed...).

VISA application on the 24th March, emailed them yesterday to ask if there is any problems as it seems to be taking a long time

"Dear Sir,

Thanks for mailing to VFS.

Now, your application is still at the embassy. There is the peak season, so the embassy takes 5-7 working days to grant the visa.

For non-thai people, the embassy may takes time more than 7 working days to approve the application."

15 working days & 27 actual days later.....

The Noo Zelanders are the longest overstayers in Australia by far :D

Pity they cant play proper football ..sic..aussie rules :o

That's the problem with NZ as well.

The problem with the Aussie, is now they are calling any Kiwi good at sport an Australian :D

• 9 months later...
I sent them a email and this is the reply that i received .

Dear MrXXXXXXX

I wish to thank you for your time to provide us the information regarding

our new services in Bangkok. On behalf of the Department of Immigration and

Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs which committed to ensuring that all

of its clients receive an efficient standard of service, your feed back is

most appreciated as it will help us in making the changes needed to

improve our client service.

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

First Secretary (Immigration)

DIMIA Bangkok

Does anyone have David Merz's email address? I sent an email to [email protected] and it bounced (or at least appeared to be undelivered). I need it asap!

Thanks!

This is the email that i received , Doesnt have his email only [email protected]

Sent : Thursday, 24 March 2005 5:54:59 AM

To : xxxxxxx" <[email protected]>

Subject : Re: Re Visa application Centre

| | | Inbox

๏ปฟ

Dear Mrxxxxxx

Multicultural andย Indigenous Affairs which committed to ensuring that all

most appreciated as it will help us in makingย the changes needed to

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

DIMIA Bangkok

Dear MrXXXXXXX

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

DIMIA Bangkok

Does anyone have David Merz's email address? I sent an email to [email protected] and it bounced (or at least appeared to be undelivered). I need it asap!

Thanks!

I was there in July last year for my girls first application...got there just after 9am....the place was empty....30 minutes in and out including the time it took to fill in the form. Visa was approved in 6 days..... :o She is going in on wednesday to make her second application.... :D:D

I was there in July last year for my girls first application...got there just after 9am....the place was empty....30 minutes in and out including the time it took to fill in the form. Visa was approved in 6 days..... :D She is going in on wednesday to make her second application.... :D:D

I've heard once you get one it's real easy to get subsequent ones.

You're laughing mate! :o

I was there in July last year for my girls first application...got there just after 9am....the place was empty....30 minutes in and out including the time it took to fill in the form. Visa was approved in 6 days..... :D She is going in on wednesday to make her second application.... :D:D

I've heard once you get one it's real easy to get subsequent ones.

You're laughing mate! :D

The photos of her in Perth will help.....and my Government dept ID photocopy....... :o

Edited by gburns57au

Dear MrXXXXXXX

Yours sincerely,

David Merz

DIMIA Bangkok

Thanks!

Hit 'reply' and change the subject line to read: ATT: Mr. David Merz. Bangkok.

Good luck. :o