Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just heard from a friend who is in vientiane today that the thai embassy was refusing to issue visas to people with too many visa runs in their passports. 3 or 4 visa runs seemed to be enough to get a refusal, so a lot of people were leaving with no new tourist visa and the prospect of only 14 days when crossing the land border. whether this is a temporary crackdown like last time around or if it is a more permanent measure is unknown.

just heard from a friend who is in vientiane today that the thai embassy was refusing to issue visas to people with too many visa runs in their passports. 3 or 4 visa runs seemed to be enough to get a refusal, so a lot of people were leaving with no new tourist visa and the prospect of only 14 days when crossing the land border. whether this is a temporary crackdown like last time around or if it is a more permanent measure is unknown.

Were they refusing tourist visas at the application window, or were the refusals discovered when people picked up their passports?

Were they refusing tourist visas at the application window, or were the refusals discovered when people picked up their passports?

not sure but my friend was there on monday dropping his passport off so it sounds like it would be when going to the application window.

There was some commotion some pages back about the reason behind getting a new passport and that for some bizarre reason - just wanting one was not only illegitimate but a flag for Homeland Insecurity. I totally disagree. It's a total money spinner. What would it matter to "Homeland" what passport you are on? In fact, the more the better as they scan each one and are more up to date as to where you are coming and going.

The US govt could care less about your (my) silly visa problems.

If nothing else, simply a concern of your pp becoming full while traveling is sufficient, I have a 48pp passport from April 2010 and it's nearly half full (only 1 double TR). I am certain the US govt would gladly have you apply in the US than all the hassles one contends with issuing outside the country.

Mutilating passports - now THAT is illegal.

I will be in Vientiane for what I was hoping would be my last TR but I am so sick of reading of the hassles and expense related to annual extensions, TRs look about the same hassle and price. Still considering applying from US I think the best option.

I wish we all just go away for 2 years. Thai govt has had it too good, too long. That fancy building in BKK was built with OUR money. Don't forget it.

Edited by bangkokburning