Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

Also, since Civil Union in New Zealand can be between partners of the same sex, and under Thai Civil Code, starting at section 1435 and onwards, Marriage is between a man and a woman (only), it is unlikely IMHO that Thailand would recognize NZ Civil Union law.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you guys have your conversations via e-mail? This thread is supposed to be used to get information about the current situation on getting a Tourist Visa in Vientiane. We shouldn't have to sift through all this stuff about common law marraige in New Zealand etc...

Thanks/BB

Apologies to you Bill -- but this was posted above in this topic:

Excuse me if I don't take the word of some self appointed expert on Thai Immigration Law at face value. I want to see some
evidence
that Common Law Marriage is not recognised in Thailand. I'm illegible for a retirement visa, so I need to know for sure, not just going by your word.

so I responded to the gent's request.

Just got back to the hotel room from picking up my passport at the embassy. Double-entry TV with no red stamp.

History: 4 seperate, non consecutive entry stamps (30 days); 2 years Non-Immigrant; one entry-stamp (15 days); 2 back to back Single-entry TVs... and now a Double-entry TV.

Bold stuff was all done consecutively.

As I mentioned before, I strongly suggest that you use an agent. There might be a reason why there are so many now, compare to the previous years... where they were none!

Previously, I always did the process by own. Luckily enough (and this mainly due to my laziness!), I decided to use one this time... and everything works smoothly.

For sure, some of the money that I gave to him ended in a Thai official pocket :D

My fear in using an agent is it could be someone who had a stamp made and all of the money is in his pocket. What do you think? :)

As I mentioned before, I strongly suggest that you use an agent. There might be a reason why there are so many now, compare to the previous years... where they were none!

Previously, I always did the process by own. Luckily enough (and this mainly due to my laziness!), I decided to use one this time... and everything works smoothly.

For sure, some of the money that I gave to him ended in a Thai official pocket :D

My fear in using an agent is it could be someone who had a stamp made and all of the money is in his pocket. What do you think? :)

I honestly have no idea where the real value is in using an agent. I used an agent once in Nong Khai called Miracle Travel (I think) and all they do is fill out your form(s) and drive you to the embassy in Vientiane. I had to submit the application myself and pick it up myself... no agent even got out of the car at the embassy. So what's the point of an agent?

For sure, some of the money that I gave to him ended in a Thai official pocket :)

Why do you suggest using an agent and who have you used? I have used one once and it was a waste of time and money. Also, what would a stamp have anything to do with using an agent? I assume you are talking about entry stamps and not visas, because this topic is related to the red warning stamp issued upon visa applications in Vientiane.

So anyways, fill me in on the details of the in-embassy service provided by the agent you are touting.

I've never used an agent. Always applied in person, picked up in person. What's so difficult about it?

BTW, Kota Bharu is a nice alternative to Vientiane if you're looking to avoid red stamps. You really ought to be going to different consulates, anyway, if you intend to do "the TV shuffle" to stay here...

I've never used an agent. Always applied in person, picked up in person. What's so difficult about it?

Nothing is difficult, but if you go to Vientiane, using an agent can save you hours of waiting in queues. It's called convenience, but it's up to you how you choose to spend your time.

BTW, Kota Bharu is a nice alternative to Vientiane if you're looking to avoid red stamps.

Not everyone gets red stamps in Vientiane and they could start giving them out anywhere else without notice. Besides, a double entry in Vientiane is worth a lot more than a single entry in Kota Bharu.

You really ought to be going to different consulates, anyway, if you intend to do "the TV shuffle" to stay here...

Going to different consulates makes no difference at all. The tourist visa stickers are identical and easy to count.

Edited by tropo

I honestly have no idea where the real value is in using an agent. I used an agent once in Nong Khai called Miracle Travel (I think) and all they do is fill out your form(s) and drive you to the embassy in Vientiane. I had to submit the application myself and pick it up myself... no agent even got out of the car at the embassy. So what's the point of an agent?

You had the wrong agent. A good agent does it all for you while you relax back at the hotel.

I think he was just unlucky, there are at least 500 people a day for make a visa applicaton in Vientiane .

I'm awating for other reports.

As none have declared the same situation yet, I wonder whether they suspect that he is working illegally in Thailand especially if he is under 50 years of age. Let's wait and see other reports.

Bishop

Maybe a silly question, but can't he apply for a Non Immigrant O-Visa?

Edited by bellste

You had the wrong agent. A good agent does it all for you while you relax back at the hotel.

Really now? LAPAMITA just said that there is no such thing in Lao. Somebody validate their input here by giving me a name.

Other than that, TROPO, is that supposed to be the only service provided by an agent that is worth the money? I think the general idea of the agent discussion in this topic was aimed at proving whether or not using an agent can actually help you avoid getting a red stamp. Haven't heard any comments on that and curious to know whether or not someone on here is indirectly plugging their business into the topic.

Really now? LAPAMITA just said that there is no such thing in Lao. Somebody validate their input here by giving me a name.

Other than that, TROPO, is that supposed to be the only service provided by an agent that is worth the money? I think the general idea of the agent discussion in this topic was aimed at proving whether or not using an agent can actually help you avoid getting a red stamp. Haven't heard any comments on that and curious to know whether or not someone on here is indirectly plugging their business into the topic.

Lapamita doesn't have a clue. I used an agent a few weeks ago. My agent was good value and there plenty others too charging various prices.

I'm not going to advertise my agent in the general forum to "validate my input". If you don't want to believe me, that's your choice. There have been dozens of reports of agents in Vientiane from as early as December 2007, so do your own research.

It should be pretty obvious from what I've written here before that my agent couldn't even guarantee getting a visa let alone not being given a red stamp. This is nothing unusual either. The agents in Penang can't bypass the application process either. You also have to consider nationality as it does make a big difference to your success.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed... where is the point to take a Thai agent to act in Lao?

Did you find him through "Lonely Planet"? :)

Lapamita doesn't have a clue. I used an agent a few weeks ago. My agent was good value and there plenty others too charging various prices.

I'm not going to advertise my agent in the general forum to "validate my input". If you don't want to believe me, that's your choice. There have been dozens of reports of agents in Vientiane from as early as December 2007, so do your own research.

It should be pretty obvious from what I've written here before that my agent couldn't even guarantee getting a visa let alone not being given a red stamp. This is nothing unusual either. The agents in Penang can't bypass the application process either. You also have to consider nationality as it does make a big difference to your success.

Thanks Tropo for not sharing publicly our valuable contact.

Members of this forum can always PM... then it will be up to us to decide if they are worthy of not! :)

as of may 2009, there was not any agent, who aplly for you, i prefer to sleep in the morning bcs in the night i go to disco at the mekongriver open until 4h morning,, and money is not an issue, and went to many agents, everywhere YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON,,,,

dont use an agent, now its convinient the new ofice and can apply even at 10.30 and get number. the agent cant garanteee that you not get a red stamp,,and the rest you can do by your self

but please if you have somebody send per BM ......same same here in thaialnd many speak ohh i know somebody who can do,,,,,but at the end its a secret....

Got back yesterday.

My 33 page passport is full. 31 of those pages are Thai/Laos/Cambodian visas being used on the Thai Tourist Visa wagon. This was my 4th double entry in a row. The guy actually laughed when he flicked through it when I handed it in, 30 passport pages solid of TR visa run visas over the past 2 years..

Picked it up the next day. NO RED STAMP.

Edited by Yimmy

Got back yesterday.

My 33 page passport is full. 31 of those pages are Thai/Laos/Cambodian visas being used on the Thai Tourist Visa wagon. This was my 4th double entry in a row. The guy actually laughed when he flicked through it when I handed it in, 30 passport pages solid of TR visa run visas over the past 2 years..

Picked it up the next day. NO RED STAMP.

Thanks for the info..I think this thread has been going fo nearly three months now?..and yet we still havent seen any consistancy,or evidence of the enforcement of back to back visa laws..

As always in LOS there doesnt seem to be a straight answer to anything..So in effect a punter never really knows if his double entry from Laos will be his last, and therefor the chance of being forced to pack up and leave and arrange alternate tavels is all on the throw of a dice,..or rather how an individual immigration official is feeling on the day.

Then theres the speculation that the issueing of NON IM O visa's are also under the spotlight.

Im sure there must be others like me who dont need to work in LOS, are under 50, yet cannot plan anything due to this wishy washy,half a8rsed method of enforcing rules sometimes.

FF'sS, if you make a law then stick to it, or dont make it at all :)

You've really got to wonder whether the doomsdayers on these pages are right when they say we arent really wanted here :D

Edited by ozzieovaseas

Thanks for the info..I think this thread has been going fo nearly three months now?..and yet we still havent seen any consistancy,or evidence of the enforcement of back to back visa laws..

As always in LOS there doesnt seem to be a straight answer to anything..So in effect a punter never really knows if his double entry from Laos will be his last, and therefor the chance of being forced to pack up and leave and arrange alternate tavels is all on the throw of a dice,..or rather how an individual immigration official is feeling on the day.

Then theres the speculation that the issueing of NON IM O visa's are also under the spotlight.

Im sure there must be others like me who dont need to work in LOS, are under 50, yet cannot plan anything due to this wishy washy,half a8rsed method of enforcing rules sometimes.

FF'sS, if you make a law then stick to it, or dont make it at all :)

You've really got to wonder whether the doomsdayers on these pages are right when they say we arent really wanted here :D

I find it interesting what people post on TV:

1. Laws in Thailand should be consistent and upheld -versus- OMG, please don't enforce the laws. Do you really want the immigration laws strictly enforced? As they say, be careful what you ask for.

2. "Then theres the speculation that the issueing of NON IM O visa's are also under the spotlight." Is there evidence of this, or just some hunch.

3. "Im sure there must be others like me who dont need to work in LOS, are under 50, yet cannot plan anything due to this wishy washy,half a8rsed method of enforcing rules sometimes." All of us farangs living here are doing so as guests. We have no inherent "right" to be here.

4. "...we aren't really wanted here." Thailand is not about us farang...but some of us like to think it is.

Very perspicacious on your part, phetaroi.

Regarding your point 2, the issuance of non-O visas, I have seen some posts indicating that some honorary consulates in the USA have become more reluctant to issue them for the purpose of visiting friends. Whether this is based on new guidelines from the Thai embassy or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or just a reminder about existing guidelines is not known but it would seem probable. In general terms, just like with tourist visas, it has to with suspicions that foreigners may be travelling to Thailand with these visas for the purpose of working without a work permit.

--

Maestro

as of may 2009, there was not any agent, who aplly for you, i prefer to sleep in the morning bcs in the night i go to disco at the mekongriver open until 4h morning,, and money is not an issue, and went to many agents, everywhere YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON,,,,

dont use an agent, now its convinient the new ofice and can apply even at 10.30 and get number. the agent cant garanteee that you not get a red stamp,,and the rest you can do by your self

but please if you have somebody send per BM ......same same here in thaialnd many speak ohh i know somebody who can do,,,,,but at the end its a secret....

Get a life :)