Floods, Mudslides In North - And More To Come

george

Floods, mudslides in North - and more to come

BANGKOK: -- Thirteen districts out of 18 in the northern province of Chiang Rai have been declared disaster areas after flash floods inundated 322 villages,destroyed bridges and caused mudslides in many areas.

Villagers in tambon Mae Jaydee in Wieng Pa Pao district are stranded after mudslides blocked access in and out. Wide areas of farmland are under water and livestock and villagers are being evacuated.

A 10metre section of a bridge linking two large villages in Mae Saruay province has been washed away by floodwater, leaving 700 hilltribe people in 177 households isolated, said district chief Natthawet Rattanasathaphorn.

Overall damage is estimated at Bt24 million from flooding in 66 tambons in 13 districts, with 322 villages affected, said the provincial public safety office.

Meanwhile, 10 other provinces in the Northeast have been declared prone to flash flood following many days of heavy rains and the possibility of torrential rains over the next threedays from today.

Provinces at risk are Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Kalasin, Roi Et, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin and Buri Ram, according to a warning by the Meteorological Department.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-25

As a full time resident in Chiang Rai, I have noticed the infrastructure is lacking for areas outside cities. The best constructed road, by far, is the one that snakes many miles up a remote hill to a Royal site. Most other roads are barely passable, with ditches in the wrong places or non-existent. ....same for culverts. Potholes and erosion in the middle of roads are big enough to lose a truck tire in - even on roads with hundreds of vehicles per day.

16 provinces warned of flash floods due to depression storm

The Meteorological Department Friday warned residents of 16 provinces to brace themselves for heavy rains and possible flash floods at the result of a depression storm in Vietnam.

In its seventh warning issued following the detection of the depression storm in Vietnam, the department said the storm's influence would unleash heavy rains in lower northern provinces, central and northeastern provinces.

Heavy rains and flash flooding could hit Ranong, Phang Nga, Roi Et, Nakhon Ratchasima, Surin, Nong Khai, Nakhon Phanom, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Mukdahan, Amnart Charoen, Kalasin, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, and Buri Ram.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/25

Damage is estimated at 24 billion baht?? The story of the flooding is just hitting the news, not all the people or livestock have been evacuated, but they already have a damage estimate!

I wonder whose arse they pulled that number out of. Having worked in risk management for a number of years, I can tell you that a damage estimate pulled as quickly as this is nothing more than a wild prediction.

As a full time resident in Chiang Rai, I have noticed the infrastructure is lacking for areas outside cities. The best constructed road, by far, is the one that snakes many miles up a remote hill to a Royal site. Most other roads are barely passable, with ditches in the wrong places or non-existent. ....same for culverts. Potholes and erosion in the middle of roads are big enough to lose a truck tire in - even on roads with hundreds of vehicles per day.

I live in Pai. After Pai was flooded a few years ago, they first trenched river deeper so it could carry more water faster, then they began other works, such as pulling up and installing new trenches with high quality drain plates to move the water.

We have had some serious rains here, but no water flooding now. Sometimes I think that Thailand, like many western countries, has good politicians who take care of the problems with public money, and some politicians spend the public money on themselves.

Maybe I am wrong.

Roads in Thailand are generally very good. Main arteries around Bangkok - out to Kanchanaburi and East to Trat are all good. South to Krabi and so on as well as to Chiang Mai but once you get to the outter regions then it drops off. Needless to say priority is given to roads travelled by the privileged same as when a drive by on Sukhumvit seems to magically remove all street vendors blocking the footpaths. The facade will always be there that Thailand is perfect to some and not so to others.

But compared to countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, Thailand roads are a dream. Outback roads in places like Australia are shockers too as they are left to the municipal councils. I guess the same system applies here. But the issue here on the flooding is a major one to be sure. Bangkok being built at zero above seal level means there is all but no runoff thus constant flash flooding especially when the runoff drains are blocked by road surfacing.

Further north you would think that would be impossible but mountainous areas force water to run faster - thus the mud slides and so on. No point in complaining I guess as Thailand will support areas most travelled and road usage in the North past Chiang Mai seems not to rate by someone's standards. Interesting to see if any damming or water retention will come under the Senates spending spree next session. It can only be brought to their attention and then the local member needs to push the agenda. The ridiculous quote of billions of Baht in damage (in another blog this forum) could well be saved by putting it into roads and environment management rather than a knee jerk reaction after the event.

We can only hope there are no lives lost in the process of water movement in the next few days.

I did a border run on Tuesday through CRai , seeing heavy rain sporadically from CMai to Maesai, but certainly nothing out of season or reason.

I do fully agree about the dearth of infrastructure and prevention measures for the Rains and certainly the roads conditions are pretty appalling most places upcountry.

rgdz,

Brewsta

What you want better roads what a complainer go back to were you came from you baby. You should be happy that corruption drains extra money that could be used for making society better. Look how happy those government officials are. My suggestion is to take one them for a high speed ride in and off road vehicle and be sure and hit all the pot holes and drive on the edge of total destruction so you scare the Sh_t out of them.

I live in Pai. After Pai was flooded a few years ago, they first trenched river deeper so it could carry more water faster, then they began other works, such as pulling up and installing new trenches with high quality drain plates to move the water.

We have had some serious rains here, but no water flooding now. Sometimes I think that Thailand, like many western countries, has good politicians who take care of the problems with public money, and some politicians spend the public money on themselves.

Maybe I am wrong.

Cecco,

Have you seen evidence of the road building projects to and from villages in your area paid for by the TAO, Tambol Administrative Organiztions (อบต)? Where I am there are lots of high quality, although narrow, concrete roads from the central markets to the villages. In addition I wonder if the TAOs are involved in water channeling projects with their share of government allocations.

Thanks.

As long as no lives are lost, its not much lost...

tell that to the families that lose their homes and have no money to rebuild

Great point SBC...... some TV comments have less depth than the tarmac on highways and byways in this country, IMHO....

Maybe a spell in a ville up there at the moment would be of value for many who fail to comprehend the devastation of losing your roof.

rgdz,

Brewsta

Too many I reckon, losing everthing is not a small deal, even if its not much.

1st v sorry to those poor uninsured hill people who've lost a lot and live hand to mouth wit a few prized and now damp possessions

2 No problem on Lao X Khong crossing Its been raining for weeks but stopped now as Id rang TOT chaps last eek.

It's across between the 2nd coming and the missing link They said they'd come but not when

Funny doings with TOT who explain its the fon what slows downthe net not themm re-selling my bandwith!

My net so slow cannot even get bbc

Well as rains stops a v jolly chap arrives and even he cannot get the speed test to load I asked if the 240/0.19 was the best around and he said while 4MB is sold theres no point for me or satellite as it wont improve what I actually get

Finally he said it didnt matter about speed test as his mates are doing a job down the rd

The minute he left it speede up

V good Karma and the chaps they send out are all coming to chompat Mrs nud_e Eels noodels so when it rains

As well as improvemnet funds being misapplied or trousered erosion of top notch soil and wildlife habitats is due to illegal encroachment by big Cos realtors and small slash and burn stuff which seems totally unregulated til you try and buy some timber then you discovered the Smoky Bears get all the Honey funny money

Be surprised if it was any other way a sorta Shirkers Co-operativeTIT

Looking at the satellite, Vietnam took the brunt of it. The storm is dissipating rapidly. There'll be another such storm next week too.

Hope those who have lost get helped. Sad for them.

I would also point out that the roads in and around Bangkok aren't great. Such major arterial highways as the Viparadi road have humps, potholes, points where the road has sunk around concrete supports for the toll way (where they've had to shave off the upper layers of the road) and can be quite dangerous on a motorcycle. Sukhumvit soi 3 and 21 have some atrocious points, where there's been metal plates placed down or botched patching, several inches higher than the surrounding road surface. There's been a hel_l of a lot of digging up roads lately, but no resurfacing work afterwards.

Hello Brahmburgers

I came from Chiang Rai long time ago.....How are the residents now? Any help from Red Cross, the Government or Non profit organizations?? I will contact My hometown Red cross tomorrow and donate money...I urge everyone here to pitch in whatever you can. Thanks for posting and now I know the bad news from Chiang Rai...Have a good night...???

Roads in Thailand are generally very good. Main arteries around Bangkok - out to Kanchanaburi and East to Trat are all good. South to Krabi and so on as well as to Chiang Mai but once you get to the outter regions then it drops off. Needless to say priority is given to roads travelled by the privileged same as when a drive by on Sukhumvit seems to magically remove all street vendors blocking the footpaths. The facade will always be there that Thailand is perfect to some and not so to others.

But compared to countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, Thailand roads are a dream. Outback roads in places like Australia are shockers too as they are left to the municipal councils. I guess the same system applies here. But the issue here on the flooding is a major one to be sure. Bangkok being built at zero above seal level means there is all but no runoff thus constant flash flooding especially when the runoff drains are blocked by road surfacing.

Further north you would think that would be impossible but mountainous areas force water to run faster - thus the mud slides and so on. No point in complaining I guess as Thailand will support areas most travelled and road usage in the North past Chiang Mai seems not to rate by someone's standards. Interesting to see if any damming or water retention will come under the Senates spending spree next session. It can only be brought to their attention and then the local member needs to push the agenda. The ridiculous quote of billions of Baht in damage (in another blog this forum) could well be saved by putting it into roads and environment management rather than a knee jerk reaction after the event.

We can only hope there are no lives lost in the process of water movement in the next few days.

I completeyl agree on the road talk, I just come back from a tour with our bike from Thailand to Hoi Chi Ming City and back, as soon you come in Cambodia the roads are much less and many potholes, traffic in Phnom Penh is crazy and a warm up for HCMC, there nobody but nobody stops on intersections, some not even on taffic lights and when it rains you swim, I think draining systems don't exist there yet. Thailand has good roads but not in Chonburi, don't know what they do with the road budget but certainly they don't using it to make roads better.

Frog

Great point SBC...... some TV comments have less depth than the tarmac on highways and byways in this country, IMHO....

Maybe a spell in a ville up there at the moment would be of value for many who fail to comprehend the devastation of losing your roof.

rgdz,

Brewsta

lt happened to my wife's family,and after a few floods it finally collapsed(concrete floor and posts subsided to the point where you could n't live in it any more).thanks to an uncle( a builder) and some dosh from me it was repaired,new floor and pillars and a paint job.but ,yes,others not so lucky woiuld be my guess.

They continue to cut down the trees etc. up in the hills, and it floods and floods. Then the flat heads say "why"! The infrastructure never gets fixed, ever. :)

BANGKOK: -- Thirteen districts out of 18 in the northern province of Chiang Rai have been declared disaster areas after flash floods inundated 322 villages,destroyed bridges and caused mudslides in many areas.

Villagers in tambon Mae Jaydee in Wieng Pa Pao district are stranded after mudslides blocked access in and out. Wide areas of farmland are under water and livestock and villagers are being evacuated.

A 10metre section of a bridge linking two large villages in Mae Saruay province has been washed away by floodwater, leaving 700 hilltribe people in 177 households isolated, said district chief Natthawet Rattanasathaphorn.

Overall damage is estimated at Bt24 million from flooding in 66 tambons in 13 districts, with 322 villages affected, said the provincial public safety office.

Meanwhile, 10 other provinces in the Northeast have been declared prone to flash flood following many days of heavy rains and the possibility of torrential rains over the next threedays from today.

Provinces at risk are Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Amnat Charoen, Kalasin, Roi Et, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Surin and Buri Ram, according to a warning by the Meteorological Department.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-25

Flooding this bad happens in most countries on the planet. Much of it never makes the news outside the flooded country. Diverting water ways only will cause different and worse problems in the future. This has been proven by the water schemes in the USA (flooding of the Mississippi, New Orleans, etc.) and other countries. The local Thai ecosystems, soil fertility, and local given plant species rely on flooding as they have for 1,000s of years. Build structures that are somewhat flood hardened/ protected and build in non-flood zones in the future. And then pray to the Arab jewish god (Yahweh) of the bible for "his" protection. :) LMAO.

Try hanging out while birding, mammaling, and herping in Bangladesh and parts of India during the monsoon season. :D Holy sh#t.

Losing everything is horrible. My condolences and best wishes go to those that are suffering.

We also need to consider that there just are someplaces that people shouldn't live. Building on old river beds on historic flood plains, in area's that are known to be flash flood prone.

Common sense relocation. I hope that the people who's lives have been destroyed do receive assistance but also place their homes in better thought out locations.

They continue to cut down the trees etc. up in the hills, and it floods and floods. Then the flat heads say "why"! The infrastructure never gets fixed, ever. :)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-25

Yes, you are right about cutting trees and now Global Warming...

Well my heart and soul go with everyone who is in crisis?? The poor will hurt the most.the Rich can rebuild his or her home?? My take and opinion...

Edited by ryladie99

Losing everything is horrible. My condolences and best wishes go to those that are suffering.

We also need to consider that there just are someplaces that people shouldn't live. Building on old river beds on historic flood plains, in area's that are known to be flash flood prone.

Common sense relocation. I hope that the people who's lives have been destroyed do receive assistance but also place their homes in better thought out locations.

Good post and I love your Common Sense?? Wow,wow and wow??? I do not think the Thai have money to help them all..money will have to come from outside...let's help donate through the Red Cross...I will do my part tomorrow...thanks for posting...

My take...

Damage is estimated at 24 billion baht?? The story of the flooding is just hitting the news, not all the people or livestock have been evacuated, but they already have a damage estimate!

I wonder whose arse they pulled that number out of. Having worked in risk management for a number of years, I can tell you that a damage estimate pulled as quickly as this is nothing more than a wild prediction.

haven't you got nothing better to moan about???

rgdz,

Brewsta

lt happened to my wife's family,and after a few floods it finally collapsed(concrete floor and posts subsided to the point where you could n't live in it any more).thanks to an uncle( a builder) and some dosh from me it was repaired,new floor and pillars and a paint job.but ,yes,others not so lucky woiuld be my guess.

Sorry it happened to your wife's family..they were lucky to have you..you are a good Farang...I wonder who will care for the Rest??? My take and opinion..have a good night???